ImageImageImageImage

2018 Dallas Cowboys Preseason Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#1 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:58 pm

And... we'll start off with this and see if the dude has anything in the tank.

Read on Twitter
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Preseason Thread 

Post#2 » by gravytrain24 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:And... we'll start off with this and see if the dude has anything in the tank.

Read on Twitter

He should have tons in the tank being that he hasn't played in two years(?). Just by the boys holding on to him throughout all this, they still see something in him and and unless some of these DE's have great camps, he's making the roster. A front line of Lawrence, Irving, Crawford and Gregory could be scary for QB's if they all get right.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:And... we'll start off with this and see if the dude has anything in the tank.

Read on Twitter

He should have tons in the tank being that he hasn't played in two years(?). Just by the boys holding on to him throughout all this, they still see something in him and and unless some of these DE's have great camps, he's making the roster. A front line of Lawrence, Irving, Crawford and Gregory could be scary for QB's if they all get right.

And in the end... THAT is the big question here. What exactly does he have in the tank? Especially when he gets into football shape?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 am

Depends on what he puts in his tank going forward. Lets see if he can stay on the field more than six games.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 am

I guess Earl Thomas is unhappy again. If the Cowboys are still serious about bringing him in, I hope it happens fast. The Patriots are considering making a move on him when things fall apart in their new contract talks. Poor Jack, he is in for a very long year, I'm afraid.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#6 » by Mr B » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:17 am

I’m not expecting anything out of Randy Gregory. I basically see him as playing with house money. If he gives the team anything it’s a bonus.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Mr B wrote:I’m not expecting anything out of Randy Gregory. I basically see him as playing with house money. If he gives the team anything it’s a bonus.

Kinda where I sit with the guy. I will say this though... he's here through 2020 at least contractually. If he does have what the Cowboys seem to think he has, he owes Jerry one really big discount on a new contract after all the support Jerry has shown him.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:12 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I guess Earl Thomas is unhappy again...

Again?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Again?

Hey, I wouldn't mind having Earl around for a year or two if the contract is on the friendly side. Could use a little veteran experience with the young kids on the defensive side of things.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Mr B wrote:I’m not expecting anything out of Randy Gregory. I basically see him as playing with house money. If he gives the team anything it’s a bonus.

Glad your back and still around. kinda quiet without you and Otis around.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mr B » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:08 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Glad your back and still around. kinda quiet without you and Otis around.

It should start to pick up around here now that we’re only 6 days from camp.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:20 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Again?

Hey, I wouldn't mind having Earl around for a year or two if the contract is on the friendly side. Could use a little veteran experience with the young kids on the defensive side of things.

Let's see what the right price is.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:30 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Again?

And nothing long term. Just a one or two year rental is all I'm looking for here. Otherwise he can stay in Seattle and grow old.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mr B » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:10 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Again?

At most I’d be willing to give up a 3rd. That’s only because if he was signed to a big dollar contract in free agency that’s the comp pick Seattle would get for losing him.

Ideally though I’d prefer to just wait for him to be a free agent. Either way the Cowboys are going to have to pay him big money. I’d rather spend this season learning more about Woods. See if he can be the guy. If not then go sign Earl in the off season (and keep the 3rd round pick). We also need to see if Earl can stay healthy for a whole season. I’d rather do that without giving up a premium pick and paying big money.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:44 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Hey, I wouldn't mind having Earl around for a year or two if the contract is on the friendly side. Could use a little veteran experience with the young kids on the defensive side of things.

At most I’d be willing to give up a 3rd. That’s only because if he was signed to a big dollar contract in free agency that’s the comp pick Seattle would get for losing him.

Ideally though I’d prefer to just wait for him to be a free agent. Either way the Cowboys are going to have to pay him big money. I’d rather spend this season learning more about Woods. See if he can be the guy. If not then go sign Earl in the off season (and keep the 3rd round pick). We also need to see if Earl can stay healthy for a whole season. I’d rather do that without giving up a premium pick and paying big money.

We are in complete agreement.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Add to it the fact we have some big financial decisions coming up with players currently on the team and it places more emphasis on not tying up cash on a guy who will be in his 30's playing a position where age is not kind.

(I tried to type this last night on my iPad but every time I did this site would crater before I could finish. This place is becoming a crapshoot.)
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#17 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:08 am

Did you guys all hear? We have no WR's and a bad, suckie azz defense going into this year. Gallup and Hurns are already a bust. General board is already entertaining before training camp even starts.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Did you guys all hear? We have no WR's and a bad, suckie azz defense going into this year. Gallup and Hurns are already a bust. General board is already entertaining before training camp even starts.

Don't you love it when a manlet like that comes along with his massive base of knowledge that demands a response... after which he tells you (or - me in this case) not to get butthurt?

I shall enjoy toying with him.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#19 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:36 pm

Did you happen to notice he was just a newbie freshman. I was gonna put him in his place but you did an excellent job on your own. You didn't need my help. lol.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:26 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Did you happen to notice he was just a newbie freshman. I was gonna put him in his place but you did an excellent job on your own. You didn't need my help. lol.

He’s no Ernie.

Return to Dallas Cowboys