Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1 » by Headliner » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Just a random question, but if you were to name GOATs for each division, who do you have as them? Most are clear but one or two would be interesting.

Flyweight: Mouse
Bantam: Cruz
Feather: Aldo
Lightweight: ???
Welterweight: GSP
Middleweight: Silva
Light heavyweight: Jones
Heavyweight: Fedor or DC?
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#2 » by CPT » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Decided to make this into a new thread, since the other discussions had wrapped up (although I'm here for updates on the Schaub/Dana feud), but responses to this probably would have pushed it over 100 (which I think still matters? I don't even know).

I agree with the GOATs listed above. As for the ones in contention:

LW: Penn
Seems weird to still have BJ as the best, but his peak was probably still higher than any other LW relative to his peers at the time. There's also the problem that if it's not BJ, it's Edgar, Alvarez, or Bendo, and none of those seem right.

HW: Fedor
I still give it to Fedor, but it's very very close. I don't really know how to evaluate DC's LHW accomplishments (does it make sense to give a HW credit for wins at LHW? I'm not sure), but then again, he's undefeated at HW. Still, it takes a lot to dethrone a guy who was the undisputed best HW for 5-10 years (and probably P4P for a good stretch). I don't think DC has ever really hit that level, even though he probably should have (I've thought he was probably the best HW in the world for years, but without fighting there, it's hard to give him credit for it).
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:44 pm

This is just a RUMOR, so take FWIW but some obscure mma media apparently reported that Holloway suffered a mini stroke due to his last weight cut which was the cause of his speech issues, etc.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,633

Post#4 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:47 pm

That's scary. Not sure how much weight I put into that rumor but I definitely do buy into the talk that Max was KO'd in training not long before fight week (according to Bisping). Makes sense
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Post#5 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:47 am

So I was watching Schaub on Rogan the other day and surprisingly I thought he made a good point. I think the PPV model is old and no longer viable in today's age. It is just way too easy to stream these fights in HD instead of dropping $70 on them. There are 12 PPV cards a year, that means they are hoping die hard UFC fans are willing to drop $840 on PPV events a year, then hoping some of those people drop down the I believe is $10 bucks a month for Fight Pass. That means you have to drop close to 1k a year to watch all the UFC fights. With how easy it is to stream now, the majority of people are just deciding to watch the fights for free instead of drop all that money.

Their PPV buys have been horrible this year. UFC 223 was getting a ton of hype and was supposed to be a huge card, ended up doing around 210-350k buys. Stipe vs DC superfight didnt even do 400k buys. I know they just signed some long deal with ESPN, but man I think they shouldve just went begging to Netflix and Hulu to try and make a deal with them. I think the pay to the fighters are going to take a hit initially after leaving PPV, but I think in the long haul it would be huge for the sport if they can start getting their fights to air for free (or the $10 a month or whatever for Hulu or Netflix). All the big sports are free to watch, be the first sport to really be the first sport exclusively on one of the big streaming services.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:58 am

Duke4life831 wrote:So I was watching Schaub on Rogan the other day and surprisingly I thought he made a good point. I think the PPV model is old and no longer viable in today's age.

I never understood how it was viable in the first place.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:23 am

Jasen777 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:So I was watching Schaub on Rogan the other day and surprisingly I thought he made a good point. I think the PPV model is old and no longer viable in today's age.

I never understood how it was viable in the first place.

I think it was viable when they were trying to be known as just an event sport and putting on a limited number of events a year, plus there was no legit HD streaming issue either. But ya it was always a limited business model.

This would be my business pitch to the UFC. They're going to die a slow death riding this PPV model out. Theyre no longer going to be getting those million dollar buys anymore, those days are gone. Its clear they dont want to just be an event type sport, they want to be the next major sport, hence the 40-45 events a year. Try and just make Saturday night the night of the UFC. College football season ends at the beginning of January and the big games dont start up till the end of September. That is practically 9 months the UFC can own Saturday nights. October, November and December when CFB is owning Saturday nights, thats when you run like the Contender series and TUF (probably throw an end of the year big card as well).

If they want to take the next step and try to get closer to the big time sports, you gotta let the general audience see your best guys for free. Could you imagine if NBA had a model where ABC would show SAC vs ATL, but if someone ever wanted to watch LeBron play, they would have to pay. That would never work. It would be badass to put on Netflix every Saturday night to watch a live fight.

I cant imagine what UFC's PPV numbers are going to look like in 5 years when their ESPN deal is done.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#8 » by Headliner » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:50 pm

I think that was the plan when they started their online platform. They would test it out and then eventually follow the WWE model and put their PPVs on the site.

It's a good model. It's basically the leaguepass model as well, it's not like they say buy league pass and pay extra for the playoffs and the draft and summer league. It's all there.

The UFC should just do an all in service. I'd easily pay then 150-170 a year for all of their content, instead of the 0 I pay them now.
It opens the doors for people who want to watch the PPV the next morning, because we have lives that entail not staying up until 2 am.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Headliner wrote:I think that was the plan when they started their online platform. They would test it out and then eventually follow the WWE model and put their PPVs on the site.

It's a good model. It's basically the leaguepass model as well, it's not like they say buy league pass and pay extra for the playoffs and the draft and summer league. It's all there.

The UFC should just do an all in service. I'd easily pay then 150-170 a year for all of their content, instead of the 0 I pay them now.
It opens the doors for people who want to watch the PPV the next morning, because we have lives that entail not staying up until 2 am.

I think they could reach a bigger audience being on a streaming service, but ya I agree with you on this, Id gladly drop down 150-200 a year to see the fights. I think this would drastically boost their viewership and bring in money via sponsors. Hell have commercials between fights, I zone out during the 10 minutes of filler between fights anyways, I wouldnt mind them having commercials then.

Its just obvious the PPV model is dying quick when their big time blockbuster fights arent even bringing in 400k buys anymore. UFC 224 only sold 85k buys, that is the lowest in over a decade for the UFC. This model is drying up quick for them.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#10 » by Susan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Read on Twitter

lol.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#11 » by Susan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 pm

What's up with the UFC partnering with M1? ReddZone, you gotta have some thoughts on this whole thing, no?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

lol.

Haha I'm not a Colby fan, but he's going to get his belt stripped cause he won't fight on a 3 month turn around? Don't ever change UFC haha.

Edit: Oh to add on, they're rewarding a guy that has missed weight drastically in his last fight and in 2 of his last 4 fights. And I'm a Till fan. Again don't ever change UFC haha.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#13 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Susan wrote:What's up with the UFC partnering with M1? ReddZone, you gotta have some thoughts on this whole thing, no?

Huh?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#14 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Yoel and Till prove that the best strategy to gain big fights is to drastically miss weight and use that advantage to beat your opponent. The UFC gives title shots regardless if your previous wins came in that division or not.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,633

Post#15 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:52 am

LOL UFC is a joke right now. Handing out interim belts like they are free samples at Walmart then taking them back like during legal proceedings in a bitter divorce. How they strip a guy who's out for 3 months but considering setting up a fight between their champ who's been out for a year now with injury against a guy who won a super close fight while being 4lbs overweight.

Almost wish they jump into the deep end of WWE like promotion and just embrace it because this in-between real sport vs entertainment thing they are trying to balance isn't really working.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:55 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:LOL UFC is a joke right now. Handing out interim belts like they are free samples at Walmart then taking them back like during legal proceedings in a bitter divorce. How they strip a guy who's out for 3 months but considering setting up a fight between their champ who's been out for a year now with injury against a guy who won a super close fight while being 4lbs overweight.

Almost wish they jump into the deep end of WWE like promotion and just embrace it because this in-between real sport vs entertainment thing they are trying to balance isn't really working.

It really seems like they are a chicken running around with it's head cut off. The DC vs Brock thing is just going to make this even more of a joke.

We went like a year and a half of Conor not defending the LW belt, then Dana wouldnt even say leading up to the Khabib/Tony fight on what belt they were fighting for, until like a couple days before the fight. Now Colby not fighting on a 3 month turn around to fight for the belt is long enough to strip him? Tyron was healthy enough to fight guys like Diaz and GSP, but once offered someone high on the rankings, he said no and got surgery. Now the latest talk is he turned down the Till fight. The dude hasnt fought for a year now and his last 2 fights were some of the worst title fights ever.

If they want to look like a serious sport (dont know if that's what they're trying to do or be the next WWE), put down some actual rules to follow and not just shoot from the hip with every decision. Set a timeline on if someone doesnt fight or have a fight booked by within a year, their belt gets stripped. Actually use the rankings instead of just having them be some random number next to a fighters name. As of right now, it looks like Dana and the rest of the UFC has no clue what they are doing right now.
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#18 » by BorkLazer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 pm

David Branch vs Jacare Souza official for UFC 230. Huge test for Branch.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/07/david-branch-vs-ronaldo-jacare-souza-middleweight-ufc-230-new-york
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#19 » by BorkLazer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mma/ex-ufc-fighter-war-machine-reportedly-engaged-to-prison-pen-pal/ar-BBKRxKO?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

WTF?! :dontknow:

:crazy:
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#20 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:59 am

Nemesis21 wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mma/ex-ufc-fighter-war-machine-reportedly-engaged-to-prison-pen-pal/ar-BBKRxKO?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

WTF?! :dontknow:

It happens.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts