ImageImageImageImageImage

Phase 4 / The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: Sean Marks: “We have a year to prepare for summer of 2019” 

Post#81 » by MGrand15 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:44 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:can't wait for that Nets vs. Raptors game in Barclays this season where Leonard notices that the crowd is cheering louder for his team than the Nets.

you all are playing yourselves. wake up.

i cant wait either, for him to talk to marks and nets guys before and after the game, maybe go out with some of them. see the facilities, the nets staff, the arena. nets fans cheering and chanting his name. i think that will go a long way

yeah. what most likely happens is Leonard hops on the team bus after they smack the **** out of us while being cheered on by the Barclays center crowd and heads out.

See, you get yourself all hyped up over this and then when Marks fails to deliver you're going to be the first to dump on him because he couldn't sign Leonard. Watch.

Can't wait for LeVert to drop 35 on Kawhi's head. I just want to see the look in his eyes when he realizes his destiny is to become LeVert's sidekick. It'll be a long flight back to the 6 for Mr. Leonard.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#82 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:46 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Joe Johnson wasn't stupid.... he was great early.

That Wallace trade was the worst thing I've ever seen. perhaps the first time ever in my sports fandom life that I stopped and demanded answers from our FO explaining the exchange.

We gave up firsts for the league worst contract. we should have gotten him for free or had atlanta pay us to take him
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#83 » by MGrand15 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:06 pm

I wonder what exactly Marks means by prepare.

We've done a lot of prep already. We could stand pat and be in great shape. Will he be a lot more aggressive? If so, Crabbe is the obvious guy on the chopping block. Next in line would be Russell, RHJ, and Dinwiddie. Guys who could complicate our cap situation.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#84 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:12 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I wonder what exactly Marks means by prepare.

We've done a lot of prep already. We could stand pat and be in great shape. Will he be a lot more aggressive? If so, Crabbe is the obvious guy on the chopping block. Next in line would be Russell, RHJ, and Dinwiddie. Guys who could complicate our cap situation.

Truthfully D-Lo complicates the cap the most and the roster the most. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they let him run wild this season and trade him at the deadline to an overzealous buyer in that 30 to 40 something win range willing to give up a lightly protected pick for him. Or they attach him to Crabbe for a late 1st and an expiring.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#85 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:This whole chasing stars narrative on here shows me that no one has learned anything from the last several years.

Next summer is going to be hot and cruel for a lot of you on here when your dreams of the Nets forming a super team don't come true. Me? I'll be good. Marks will stay the course. we'll retain who needs to be retained, we'll draft well, we will accumulate more assets and continue to build slowly and properly.

I'm sure the narrative at that point will jump from "hey lets form a super team with kawhi, kyrie, and klay!" to "omg lets trade all of our first round picks and every young player that we have for anthony davis!!"

watch. this is exactly what will happen.

Damn dude, who poured Hatorade in your Corn Flakes?

You've gone from a realist and cautious to a flat out pessimist consumed with superstition.

First off, at least for me, I'm not going to be crushed, or angry, or surprised if we strike out in free agency or trade next summer. As long as the cap is spent and/or managed wisely and a treadmill with little to no hope of getting better isn't formed, I'll be fine with whatever direction Marks and co. take this roster. I feel most others here will feel the same, unless they're the ones already condemning Marks for his patience and lack of instant on court improvement.

Second, you're really stuck on this, "We're the Nets, we'll always suck, we'll never have anybody good, never have any success! Get used to it suckaz!", type of superstitious negativity. And it's your right to have that opinion as an individual and we're all here to talk Nets hoops and it's good to have a dissenting voice of reason, but you're hitting Rain Man levels here with your Uzi-like rate-of-fire repeating of said opinion lol.

The Warriors were once a laughing stock. The Clippers as well. The Nets too, yet even in the Swamp, even with a notorious cheapskate in Ratner with ulterior motives, we still had a contender for 4 years and a strong playoff team for a few years after, with 2 of the biggest names in professional basketball at the time on the roster, who both re-signed. We then had a horribly built, but big name team in Brooklyn. With a GM who destroyed a 5 to 7 year window of future basketball for the fans with a comic series of horrid trades. But we're climbing back out. Through these times we've had guys lobby to come here who were marque players at the time. D12. Garnett in the past before he was shipped to Boston. Michael Redd for a very brief period before his knee injury. And these were all in less relevant times, in even murkier transition periods. The buzz now is players are spreading the good word. Things have changed.

But back to other teams and turnarounds. How about the Kings? They're like the opposite. Went from a laughing stock, to a contender with ownership and management change, who made a series of savvy moves to form one of the most entertaining teams in the league for a long period, who were legitimately robbed of a trip to the Finals in one of the biggest rig jobs in American professional sports. Then the Maloofs sold and they're back to ****.

The Hawks were a big success back in the day, then mired in mediocrity, then became an extended success story and during that period attracted many young star free agents, starting with Joe Johnson wanting to leave an on the rise Phoenix to lead there when they were at their worst.

Memphis was a place players avoided like the plague and then formed a place players wanted to be, a real contender for a few years, with nearly a decade of strong playoff ball.

The Mavs were looked at like b-ball Siberia for the longest, but now they've been one of the more respected franchises and free agent and forced trade destinations with immense success for a decade and a half.

San An used to be the golden rule, now you have MVP level players and stars trying to force their way out.

The point is, the NBA is often fluid and cyclical. There are a handful of certain teams who always seem to have the upper hand, but there is always opportunity when you have a big market, a wealthy owner willing to spend, a wide open conference and management and coaching who get it.

You're too hung up on wins, on free agents wanting to join "playoff teams". The Warriors are the outlier in the free agent sense. They were the already best team in the league juggernaut, who caught the bitch-made superstar at his moment of weakness, who strategically kept open the cap just for all this to come together as a the perfect storm.

The other stars who forced trades, or joined forces, they did so for the aforementioned from the paragraph 2 above.

LeBron and Bosh joined Miami because they wanted to form Voltron with Wade and the #2 overall pick. Not because the Heat had just won 40 something games.

Harden wanted a place like Houston because he wanted his own team, with smart management, a big market, an owner who spends, a war chest of assets to add pieces around him, etc. Not because Houston was a perennial treadmill.

Kawhi wanted LAL because that's where he's from, because of the market, because his uncle is a douche and he's an autistic weirdo who follows him like a 14 year old kid puppy with a wet nose and because they'll draw other players. Not because they've been winning so much.

Dwight wanted BK because of market, because of teaming with Deron and JJ. Because of opportunity. Not because they were a first round exit.

Kyrie wanted NYC and San An before he was shipped to Boston because he wanted his own team, a big market, spendy owners and the ability to team up with another great player who he views as a shade less great than himself. Not because the Knix are a constant lotto ball magnet, or because San An has such great Mexican food.

LeBron, the greatest player on the flat face of this planet Earth, wanted the Lakers. Not because they've been a 40 something win runaway train year after year. But because great players want to team up with another great player from a very short specific list of their mutual choosing, in a huge market. Not because he sees so much in Lonzo Ball or Hart...

If it were all about winning, most of these players wouldn't even want to leave the situations they are in! Why would Kyrie ever dream of leaving Boston? Kawhi the Spurs? Why wouldn't LeBron have went somewhere like Philly? Found a way to force his way to Houston? Found a route to the Pelicans?

Will we land 2 superstar free agents next summer? Not likely. But I'm not going to be so insanely dismissive as you due to preconceived notions and superstitious sports witch craft. And I'll be fine if they strikeout, use the cap to acquire picks and suck one last year yet again. But this team has a lot going for it as a destination next summer, it really does. There's a reason to be cautiously optimistic. Relax, live life a little, be a fan first and be critical second. Maybe it will all be wonderful. Maybe we'll crash and burn as we've been traumatized to expect as of late. :lol:

**** it though, maybe I am just a:

So be it! :party:

this post deserves a pulitzer

Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,902

Post#86 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Damn dude, who poured Hatorade in your Corn Flakes?

You've gone from a realist and cautious to a flat out pessimist consumed with superstition.

First off, at least for me, I'm not going to be crushed, or angry, or surprised if we strike out in free agency or trade next summer. As long as the cap is spent and/or managed wisely and a treadmill with little to no hope of getting better isn't formed, I'll be fine with whatever direction Marks and co. take this roster. I feel most others here will feel the same, unless they're the ones already condemning Marks for his patience and lack of instant on court improvement.

Second, you're really stuck on this, "We're the Nets, we'll always suck, we'll never have anybody good, never have any success! Get used to it suckaz!", type of superstitious negativity. And it's your right to have that opinion as an individual and we're all here to talk Nets hoops and it's good to have a dissenting voice of reason, but you're hitting Rain Man levels here with your Uzi-like rate-of-fire repeating of said opinion lol.

The Warriors were once a laughing stock. The Clippers as well. The Nets too, yet even in the Swamp, even with a notorious cheapskate in Ratner with ulterior motives, we still had a contender for 4 years and a strong playoff team for a few years after, with 2 of the biggest names in professional basketball at the time on the roster, who both re-signed. We then had a horribly built, but big name team in Brooklyn. With a GM who destroyed a 5 to 7 year window of future basketball for the fans with a comic series of horrid trades. But we're climbing back out. Through these times we've had guys lobby to come here who were marque players at the time. D12. Garnett in the past before he was shipped to Boston. Michael Redd for a very brief period before his knee injury. And these were all in less relevant times, in even murkier transition periods. The buzz now is players are spreading the good word. Things have changed.

But back to other teams and turnarounds. How about the Kings? They're like the opposite. Went from a laughing stock, to a contender with ownership and management change, who made a series of savvy moves to form one of the most entertaining teams in the league for a long period, who were legitimately robbed of a trip to the Finals in one of the biggest rig jobs in American professional sports. Then the Maloofs sold and they're back to ****.

The Hawks were a big success back in the day, then mired in mediocrity, then became an extended success story and during that period attracted many young star free agents, starting with Joe Johnson wanting to leave an on the rise Phoenix to lead there when they were at their worst.

Memphis was a place players avoided like the plague and then formed a place players wanted to be, a real contender for a few years, with nearly a decade of strong playoff ball.

The Mavs were looked at like b-ball Siberia for the longest, but now they've been one of the more respected franchises and free agent and forced trade destinations with immense success for a decade and a half.

San An used to be the golden rule, now you have MVP level players and stars trying to force their way out.

The point is, the NBA is often fluid and cyclical. There are a handful of certain teams who always seem to have the upper hand, but there is always opportunity when you have a big market, a wealthy owner willing to spend, a wide open conference and management and coaching who get it.

You're too hung up on wins, on free agents wanting to join "playoff teams". The Warriors are the outlier in the free agent sense. They were the already best team in the league juggernaut, who caught the bitch-made superstar at his moment of weakness, who strategically kept open the cap just for all this to come together as a the perfect storm.

The other stars who forced trades, or joined forces, they did so for the aforementioned from the paragraph 2 above.

LeBron and Bosh joined Miami because they wanted to form Voltron with Wade and the #2 overall pick. Not because the Heat had just won 40 something games.

Harden wanted a place like Houston because he wanted his own team, with smart management, a big market, an owner who spends, a war chest of assets to add pieces around him, etc. Not because Houston was a perennial treadmill.

Kawhi wanted LAL because that's where he's from, because of the market, because his uncle is a douche and he's an autistic weirdo who follows him like a 14 year old kid puppy with a wet nose and because they'll draw other players. Not because they've been winning so much.

Dwight wanted BK because of market, because of teaming with Deron and JJ. Because of opportunity. Not because they were a first round exit.

Kyrie wanted NYC and San An before he was shipped to Boston because he wanted his own team, a big market, spendy owners and the ability to team up with another great player who he views as a shade less great than himself. Not because the Knix are a constant lotto ball magnet, or because San An has such great Mexican food.

LeBron, the greatest player on the flat face of this planet Earth, wanted the Lakers. Not because they've been a 40 something win runaway train year after year. But because great players want to team up with another great player from a very short specific list of their mutual choosing, in a huge market. Not because he sees so much in Lonzo Ball or Hart...

If it were all about winning, most of these players wouldn't even want to leave the situations they are in! Why would Kyrie ever dream of leaving Boston? Kawhi the Spurs? Why wouldn't LeBron have went somewhere like Philly? Found a way to force his way to Houston? Found a route to the Pelicans?

Will we land 2 superstar free agents next summer? Not likely. But I'm not going to be so insanely dismissive as you due to preconceived notions and superstitious sports witch craft. And I'll be fine if they strikeout, use the cap to acquire picks and suck one last year yet again. But this team has a lot going for it as a destination next summer, it really does. There's a reason to be cautiously optimistic. Relax, live life a little, be a fan first and be critical second. Maybe it will all be wonderful. Maybe we'll crash and burn as we've been traumatized to expect as of late. :lol:

**** it though, maybe I am just a:

So be it! :party:

I just don't see the cause for optimism. at all.

Does that mean everyone else should be? You might as well just skip next season then. It will continuously talked about and we will continue to grind our way to wins.

It’s just kind of annoying to nitpick things not to be optimistic about. People can’t even discuss the core without **** on DLo or Dinwiddie. We can’t discuss FA because we’re not supposed to be but everyone else who is an insider could reference us as a future destination? So we’re supposed to talk about salary dumps for the next 10 years?

That makes no sense. Nobody guaranteed landing any of these guys but I think it’s pretty important to discuss what kind of team we’d build if we do attract them.

I’d rather focus on not having a 2013 season than worrying about never forgetting 2010 FA.

-We’re not coming off 12 wins.
- We’re not in Newark
- We’re not ran by imbeciles
- We’re not selling a star on waiting to play in Brooklyn anymore.
- We’re not selling Jay-Z as some market recruiter
- We’re not devoid of assets no longer
- We’re not pitching Courtney Lee and Lopez as our blue chip prospects.

That’s a terrible comparison.

We didn’t even attempt to attract free agents in 2012 under Billy King. We just made a stupid Joe Johnson, Wallace deal to appease Deron. We foolishly believed we were good enough there and reports were came out years back that we could’ve signed Dragic who would’ve come here had Deron walked to Dallas.

2019 is the first real free agency in the Brooklyn era. Period. It’s a big deal. There’s nothing wrong with having that conversation after our entire FO understands they are preparing.

You do have to factor into the reality Sean Marks is also looking to get extended. He has to speed up the process somewhat.

First of all, I have said repeatedly on here that we are in great shape. Cap flexibility, young assets, pick control, good infrastructure in place.

But sorry, I'm not drinking the kool aid you guys are serving up in here about Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, and Kyrie Irving. Hell I'm skeptical about Jimmy Butler too. Lets not forget how many times I've seen Kevin Durant's name floated out there. That's the stuff that I'm poo pooing...its unrealistic and silly. And when none of those names sign here, just like Mark's first offseason where he couldn't even get a meeting with Kevin Durant, there will be hand wringing and shade being thrown about how Marks can't recruit people. Go back to that offseason thread and read what was being said when all of the free agents were flying off of the board. Marks was getting killed for not offering big money to Marvin Williams and Kent Bazemore, thats how desperate fans were getting. When Kawhi goes to the Lakers, Klay resigns with Golden State, and Irving and Butler join the Knicks it'll be the same damn thing.

So while we are headed in the right direction, that doesn't automatically equate to being a top destination yet. YET.

My only expectation of Sean Marks is to not hand out any bad deals that kill cap flexibility, draft the best prospect available, and to make the most prudent decision regarding Russell and RHJ's contracts. All this other stuff about Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard teaming up on the Nets can miss me.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#87 » by steady » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:39 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I wonder what exactly Marks means by prepare.

Because this was same press conference where he mentioned healthy competition and guys being in their contract years, I assumed he was referring to guys stepping up and the team getting better, as well as potentially additional trades to improve the team.
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#88 » by brook » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:55 pm

I'm the only one here that can't wait for the incoming season, to see again this young squad, to see improvements of Russell, RHJ, Allen, Kenny and the others, instead of thinking at the next offseason and thinking to players that most likely never come here?
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#89 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:04 pm

brook wrote:I'm the only one here that can't wait for the incoming season, to see again this young squad, to see improvements of Russell, RHJ, Allen, Kenny and the others, instead of thinking at the next offseason and thinking to players that most likely never come here?

nope, im excited for the season, i loved the last 2 seasons and view them as enormous success.... its just a dead time for NBA stuff, so talking pipe dream fills the time.

i mean talking about trevon graham only goes so far :D
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#90 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:30 pm

yeah this is the part of the offseason where we all end up arguing over something for weeks and then next thing you know its time for training camp

Real GM's yearly schedule:

-offseason begins, draft talk
-summer free agency talk
-summer league talk
-dead time, pipe dreams and arguments fill up the time (we are here)
-pre training camp talk leading into media day
-media day, everyone is excited to see the Nets take pictures in their unis. vc4p will be inspecting D'Angelo Russell's legs in detail to see if he has been skipping leg day.
-training camp. everyone is excited. optimism reigns supreme.
-preseason begins. people get pissed that half the Nets games aren't televised. overreactions to preseason performances inbound.
-season begins, day to day discussion about games begins.
-midseason despair kicks in as the Nets fall into the sub .500 abyss.
-excitement cranks up as trading deadline near.
-trading deadline passes. discussions about development resume.
-spring time arrives, people ask for illegal reddit links to NBA streams to watch Nets games since they are pre empted on YES for Yankee spring training game replays.
-season ends, discussion is about playoffs and the draft

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#91 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:This whole chasing stars narrative on here shows me that no one has learned anything from the last several years.

Next summer is going to be hot and cruel for a lot of you on here when your dreams of the Nets forming a super team don't come true. Me? I'll be good. Marks will stay the course. we'll retain who needs to be retained, we'll draft well, we will accumulate more assets and continue to build slowly and properly.

I'm sure the narrative at that point will jump from "hey lets form a super team with kawhi, kyrie, and klay!" to "omg lets trade all of our first round picks and every young player that we have for anthony davis!!"

lol but wasn't u the first one to crucify me when I said we should tank next season to get a better pick? Wasn't u on board with getting Butler and loser Kevin Love? can u make up your mind ?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#92 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

lol but wasn't u the first one to crucify me when I said we should tank next season to get a better pick? Wasn't u on board with getting Butler and loser Kevin Love? can u make up your mind ?

I don't think the Nets should blatantly tank. We should compete and if our best shot lands us the #8-10 pick, so be it. we have two firsts that can be packaged to move up.

I said I wouldn't be mad if we ended up with Butler/Love, yes. That's far cry from "YO NETS ARE GOING TO HAVE A DURANT, LEONARD, AND KYRIE SUPERTEAM!"

I'm not sure how any of that contradicts what I said. I'm being realistic about it.

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#93 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

I don't think the Nets should blatantly tank. We should compete and if our best shot lands us the #8-10 pick, so be it. we have two firsts that can be packaged to move up.

I said I wouldn't be mad if we ended up with Butler/Love, yes. That's far cry from "YO NETS ARE GOING TO HAVE A DURANT, LEONARD, AND KYRIE SUPERTEAM!"

I'm not sure how any of that contradicts what I said. I'm being realistic about it.

If you're trying to squeeze every dollar out from under the cap, you can't tank.
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#94 » by Aussienet3 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:54 pm

The efforts Marks and this organisation have made i.e training centre, players family lounge and the sports science investment says to me that even if players have their doubts (and rightfully so) the player agents would be spreading the good word. Remember when Marks signed those 2-3 players on 10 day contracts only to renounce them 24 hours later? He did some role players a favour allowing them to qualify for better minimum contracts. Importantly i believe he did some agents a solid and hopefully that comes back in spades. Weather it be this upcoming off season or in the future I'm not fussed.
Truthfully I'm looking forward to seeing the improvement of our young core. FA is what it is. Our young core need to show steady improvement this season first and foremost.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Sean Marks: “We have a year to prepare for summer of 2019”  

Post#95 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

It’s extremely embarrassing to have fans here who want to act overly negative for attention, conjure or to make themselves look right. Sometimes, I don’t even want to bother coming on here myself. It’s a depressing community in here right now. Everything is doom and gloom and it’s boring. No common ground. Nobody is on the same page as a fan base except for the actual organization. The vibe hasn’t changed since the 2013 season and it’s nearly 2019 entering a whole new phase of the franchise. That’s ridiculous.

Spent nearly every season since 2015 making the point they were planning for 2019. Now, it’s public knowledge and we’re still trying to argue it won’t work or it won’t sell but there is likely 300 free agents and somehow we can’t land 2-3 pretty good ones?

Nearly everyone acts like a 12 year old who has no self esteem here. Everyone so fixated on not being a like Knick homer that they don’t realize they look like emotionally deranged Raptor fans. So why bother watching?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#96 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Paradise wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

It’s extremely embarrassing to have fans here who want to act overly negative for attention, conjure or to make themselves look right. Sometimes, I don’t even want to bother coming on here myself. It’s a depressing community in here right now. Everything is doom and gloom and it’s boring. No common ground. Nobody is on the same page as a fan base except for the actual organization. The vibe hasn’t changed since the 2013 season and it’s nearly 2019 entering a whole new phase of the franchise. That’s ridiculous.

Spent nearly every season since 2015 making the point they were planning for 2019. Now, it’s public knowledge and we’re still trying to argue it won’t work or it won’t sell but there is likely 300 free agents and somehow we can’t land 2-3 pretty good ones?

Nearly everyone acts like a 12 year old who has no self esteem here. Everyone so fixated on not being a like Knick homer that they don’t realize they look like emotionally deranged Raptor fans. So why bother watching?

Jesus christ dude.

All of this because I don't buy into your delusions about the Nets building a super team next offseason? I'm sorry, people are allowed to disagree or be skeptical. There's nothing wrong with that.

Doom and gloom? I have said REPEATEDLY the Nets are in great shape and have praised Marks non stop to the point where I look like a sycophant.

Being dismissive of us being big players in free agency isn't doom and gloom. It's being (in my opinion) realistic.

I don't see the point of being bitter just because I don't buy into the whole KYRIE, DURANT AND LEONARD ARE COMING TO THE NETS TO FORM A SUPER TEAM nonsense. I love the direction that the franchise has taken. I just don't think it will yield big free agency signings until the Nets start winning games organically via continued development and solid drafting.

I hope I'm wrong about us in free agency, I really do. But I just don't see the appeal right now, the team is a long way from being a contender. You guys gas yourselves up every summer thinking the same thing and then get disappointed when all that we come away with our C level signings (if that). I'm perfectly fine with an organic rebuild like Golden State did. we can evaluate who we have here, who is worth keeping, and keep pushing forward.

Why even bother watching? I love the team. Doesn't mean that I have to delude myself though into believing fantasies about super teams forming in Brooklyn.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#97 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:17 pm

Aussienet3 wrote:The efforts Marks and this organisation have made i.e training centre, players family lounge and the sports science investment says to me that even if players have their doubts (and rightfully so) the player agents would be spreading the good word. Remember when Marks signed those 2-3 players on 10 day contracts only to renounce them 24 hours later? He did some role players a favour allowing them to qualify for better minimum contracts. Importantly i believe he did some agents a solid and hopefully that comes back in spades. Weather it be this upcoming off season or in the future I'm not fussed.
Truthfully I'm looking forward to seeing the improvement of our young core. FA is what it is. Our young core need to show steady improvement this season first and foremost.

Yeah, I think the onus is on the young players taking a huge step forward collectively this upcoming season. If they do that and the Nets actually show that they have the makings of a really solid team, I think that is actually a bigger draw to free agents. if the young core doesn't show any improvement, it will make things a lot more difficult.

TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,584

Post#98 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:40 pm

For those of you that think the 2019 offseason is a pipe dream:

Read on Twitter
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,584

Post#99 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:The efforts Marks and this organisation have made i.e training centre, players family lounge and the sports science investment says to me that even if players have their doubts (and rightfully so) the player agents would be spreading the good word. Remember when Marks signed those 2-3 players on 10 day contracts only to renounce them 24 hours later? He did some role players a favour allowing them to qualify for better minimum contracts. Importantly i believe he did some agents a solid and hopefully that comes back in spades. Weather it be this upcoming off season or in the future I'm not fussed.

Yeah, I think the onus is on the young players taking a huge step forward collectively this upcoming season. If they do that and the Nets actually show that they have the makings of a really solid team, I think that is actually a bigger draw to free agents. if the young core doesn't show any improvement, it will make things a lot more difficult.

I think it specifically has to be Dinwiddie/LeVert/Allen/Harris that make improvements. If DLo and RHJ are the only ones that improve then we wont have enough space to sign max guys and retain them.

Even then, we might want to move one or both of those guys in a deal for a 3rd star. Im starting to warm up to Kevin Love honestly.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Sean Marks: “We have a year to prepare for summer of 2019”  

Post#100 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:23 pm

If the core doesn’t improve and we fully strike out next summer, we’ll fully rebuild with Musa/Allen/2019 1st/2019 1st and aim for more salary dumps for assets for the 2020 draft. Likely aiming for the 2021 FA to make the next major splash. That’s all assuming RHJ, DLo, LeVert don’t improve and we S&T them somewhere.

The problem with outright planning that far ahead is we’re not factoring in Sean Marks is up for a payday, Kenny will be up for a payday and will be receive major interest. Prok/Tsai would likely retain them but who’s to say they don’t get major elite coach/GM money based off continuously rebuilding and never shown to be able to build a winning team or coach one? Philly could scoop both of them up by then. The Clippers could also be a suitor for Kenny (Doc ain’t lasting long).

That’s why next summer is a pretty important step for the franchise. We land someone good and we solidly our GM and coach for another 5-6 years and become a model for everyone. We fully miss on everything and RHJ and DLO don’t show to be worth max money...we’re possibly at a point of another FO overhaul by 2021 based on where we are. Things could get worse than missing a superstar, all-star, borderline star and If you haven’t heard, the Barclays business isn’t flourishing and that’s besides Nets revenue. A winning era will be mandatory sooner than later.

Return to Brooklyn Nets