Deni Avdija - 2020 draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Deni Avdija - 2020 draft 

Post#1 » by JustMagic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:30 pm

The Israeli Deni Avdija (pronounced Av-Di-Ya) is a legit 6-8 G-F, born in 2001, with game style that reminds a bit of Doncic.

Last summer he emerged at the U16 euros, where he led the tournament in Eff rating, rebounds and assists per game, all while playing PG or SG on offense and C or PF on defence.
Full stats:
http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u16/2017/player/Deni-Avdija
Highlights:

This summer, as a 17 y/o, he was bounced-up to the Israeli U20 squad which eventually won the tournament and Avdija, 2-3 younger than rest of the players, was selected to the All-Star Five.
Full stats:
http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20/2018/player/Deni-Avdija
Highlights:

He's the son of the former Serbian basketball player Zufer Avdija.
When he was 16, at the 16-17 season, he jumped from 6-3 to 6-7 and now is 6-8 and maybe still growing. He improved his vert and strengh significantly the last year. He probably won't be as good as Doncic, but loves to handle the ball and create for others. If he grows more he can be compared to Danilo Gallinari.
JustMagic
Senior

Re: Deni Avdija - 2020 draft 

Post#2 » by JustMagic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:39 pm

It's important to note that he had a late growth spurt, so his body is still adjusting. At the Israeli U18 league finals a month ago he had a few nice poster dunks, which he wasn't able to do a year ago. However he's wingspan seems short.
CalL
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#3 » by CalL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:10 am

I think he could be drafted late first, depending on how strong the draft is, dont see him as a better talent than Musa.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 pm

He has an effortlessness about his game. The arc on his shot is beautiful even though he looks like he’s flinging the ball and he has great body control around the basket with a soft touch. He also has more potential as a ball-handler than both Doncic and Musa, not that I’m comparing them. Way too early for that. But he can get lower than both Doncic and Musa and has a better first step.
JustMagic
Senior

Post#5 » by JustMagic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:25 am

Musa was a better scorer at the same age. However, Avdija's game is more verstile, and he actually might grow more.
The reason Musa was drafted low is the doubt about translating his scoring abilitys to the NBA.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#6 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:34 pm

JustMagic wrote:Musa was a better scorer at the same age. However, Avdija's game is more verstile, and he actually might grow more.
The reason Musa was drafted low is the doubt about translating his scoring abilitys to the NBA.

Read on Twitter
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#7 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:21 pm

WIll he play in u18? Looks good, but I liked Musa better. its crazy to me how we get Scrubzonja drafted in the top 5, while Musa almost drops to second round, how does that make sense.
Eskobar13
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#8 » by Eskobar13 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:02 pm

Yeah he looks good, specially his ball handling and finishing, but if he's already 6-8 than he either has a really short wingspan or no vertical burst... maybe both.

Do you have any videos of those said poster dunks?
JustMagic
Senior

Post#9 » by JustMagic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:19 pm

Eskobar13 wrote:Yeah he looks good, specially his ball handling and finishing, but if he's already 6-8 than he either has a really short wingspan or no vertical burst... maybe both.

Do you have any videos of those said poster dunks?

The games were on Israeli TV, but I can't find a vid of the dunks.
But overall you are correct - his wingspan seems short, and his vertical is below avg.

Today he struggled a bit at the U18 division B first game, but eventually won the game for ISR, after the Dutch were up by 18. A few drives to the basket where he found the open man, which got israel to down by only 3 and then this sequence:
Read on Twitter

18 pts, 9 reb, 3 asts and 3 steals, in a game he was guarded by 6-7 and 6-9 fairly athletic defenders and agressevily denied him the ball. With a smarter coach Israel could have won by 20 and Avdija could finish with 25 pts.
armin-x
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#10 » by armin-x » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:32 pm

His father is from Kosovo, not Serbia.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#11 » by juanc » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:12 am

armin-x wrote:His father is from Kosovo, not Serbia.

As far as I know, Kosovo is Serbia..
Sorry but I just couldn't resist when I saw your comment :D

As for comparing him to Doncic. Luka was playing vs OKC at the same age as Deni is playing against U18 Holland team.. We should not throw Luka comparisons so easily...
What about a Cedi Osman comparison?
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#12 » by kobyz » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:15 pm

Hedo Turkoglu comparison seems right...
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#13 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 pm

doordoor123 wrote:He has an effortlessness about his game. The arc on his shot is beautiful even though he looks like he’s flinging the ball and he has great body control around the basket with a soft touch. He also has more potential as a ball-handler than both Doncic and Musa, not that I’m comparing them. Way too early for that. But he can get lower than both Doncic and Musa and has a better first step.

I'm sorry, but there is no comparison here at all to Doncic. Doncic is on a completely different level.

Personally, I like Zoosman more than Avdija from that Israeli under-20 team. Zoosman is a really physical and aggressive player.
JustMagic
Senior

Post#14 » by JustMagic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:He has an effortlessness about his game. The arc on his shot is beautiful even though he looks like he’s flinging the ball and he has great body control around the basket with a soft touch. He also has more potential as a ball-handler than both Doncic and Musa, not that I’m comparing them. Way too early for that. But he can get lower than both Doncic and Musa and has a better first step.

I'm sorry, but there is no comparison here at all to Doncic. Doncic is on a completely different level.

Personally, I like Zoosman more than Avdija from that Israeli under-20 team. Zoosman is a really physical and aggressive player.

Different level, but similar style.

Zoosman is 3 years older! obviously he is more phusical and aggressive.
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#15 » by SwipeDaFox » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:32 am

Deni's highlights from the U-20 European championships, where he was named the youngest ever MVP in tournament history.(was the 2nd youngest player in the tournament)

He still has a lot of areas to improve upon to get him to the next level - but on the other hand he also presents a very complete skill-set as far as impacting the game.

Especially impressive was his defensive ability - he played as a PF on defense and showed great awareness as far as rotating, weak side help and switching (granted it was done due to his obvious physical dominance for this age group, as he won't be able to duplicate the way he guarded 1 through 5 like in this tournament in pros settings - but it shows glimpses of what his future might look like as he buffs up physically and grows into his body.

Offensively he needs to develop his in-between game and improve his ability to finish with contact near or around the rim - adding floaters and tear-drops to his game will help alot.
Right now he is either driving right, or doing a little hesi-dribble to pull up from 3 - but once again you see the flashes, especially when he operates from the post where it highlights his best quality as a player - passing and playmaking.

Very unique talent. It will be interesting to see how he develops this year hopefully getting a bigger role and bigger minutes in the Euroleague with Maccabi.

If I had to compare him I would say Danillo Gallinari is a pretty nice comp for him down the line as far as what player he might resemble in the league, with less size and a better playmaking feel for the game.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#16 » by No-Man » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:04 am

Danilo was a different player, had more moves, better feel for scoring the ball and was just a more natural iso guy, jumper was just better, more athletic, bigger

To me Deni looks a ton like a quicker Bodiroga, some things from Turkoglu and Saric too
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#17 » by SwipeDaFox » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Bodiroga is a great comp!

I wonder how high Deni will end up being. Some say he is projected top 5, others have him just inside the lottery.

Honestly, I fail to see 10 other better prospects than him in this draft.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#18 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Avdija can’t score or shoot like Gallo. But should be a much better defensive player

For the upcoming season at Maccabi he will need to prove that his shooting is legit, that’s the primary offensive skillset the NBA will want to see from him.
Eskobar13
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#19 » by Eskobar13 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Avdija can’t score or shoot like Gallo. But should be a much better defensive player

For the upcoming season at Maccabi he will need to prove that his shooting is legit, that’s the primary offensive skillset the NBA will want to see from him.

Ok just found out Gallo was Italian league mvp at 19 :o His stats were pretty good in Euroleague too, damn, I had no idea. Makes much more sense than he went 6 in such a draft now, I always thought that was too high.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#20 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Eskobar13 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Avdija can’t score or shoot like Gallo. But should be a much better defensive player

Ok just found out Gallo was Italian league mvp at 19 :o His stats were pretty good in Euroleague too, damn, I had no idea. Makes much more sense than he went 6 in such a draft now, I always thought that was too high.

Gallo was great, if he wasnt injured all the time, by the way I think Gallos defense is way underrated, I doubt Avdija projects as better defender. Avdija looks like taller and more complete Evan Turner.

Return to NBA Draft