bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Preseason Thread 

Post#41 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:00 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
They were saying he won’t be in camp when the come back to Dallas either. Also heard that he hasn’t been working out at all this off season and is extremely out of shape. Time to cut their losses and move on. Of course he blames everyone else because it’s not his fault.

I can't for the life of me, understand why we are still taking chances on these types of players. Enough is enough.

Because... Jerry.

Although, weeding him out helps reduce the knucklehead quota significantly.

Oh yea, Jerry. How could I forget about him" Speaking of Jerry, I think I need a good stiff scotch on the rocks.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#42 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:08 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Meanwhile...

David Irving. I think it's safe to say this knucklehead is probably not going to contribute much this season.

I’m expecting much less. I’d be surprised if he suits up at all this year.

I’m starting to believe you are right. The dude is in serious “needs to get his s*** together” mode here.

With Irving likely out the whole season I’m wondering who the 3-tech is going to be. Maliek Collins is really the best option in my opinion but for some reason they seem hell bent on playing him at the 1-tech. Are we seriously going to have to depend on Crawford as a starter?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#43 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:39 am

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
I’m expecting much less. I’d be surprised if he suits up at all this year.

I’m starting to believe you are right. The dude is in serious “needs to get his s*** together” mode here.

With Irving likely out the whole season I’m wondering who the 3-tech is going to be. Maliek Collins is really the best option in my opinion but for some reason they seem hell bent on playing him at the 1-tech. Are we seriously going to have to depend on Crawford as a starter?

Bigger question about Collins - can the dude stay healthy? That foot sure seems brittle.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:12 am

So much for no distractions during training camp.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:31 pm

As much as Dez throwing Sean Lee & Travis Frederick under the bus pisses me off, this might piss me off more.

Read on Twitter
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#46 » by gravytrain24 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:As much as Dez throwing Sean Lee & Travis Frederick under the bus pisses me off, this might piss me off more.

Read on Twitter

Can't ever have anything nice but i think Stephen Jones started it and Dez was just defending himself. I don't think there was any reason to keep adding fuel to this fire knowing Dez is passionate and speaks his peace. I only hear what ESPN says so im sure you guys have heard more being in the area.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:45 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:As much as Dez throwing Sean Lee & Travis Frederick under the bus pisses me off, this might piss me off more.

Read on Twitter

Can't ever have anything nice but i think Stephen Jones started it and Dez was just defending himself. I don't think there was any reason to keep adding fuel to this fire knowing Dez is passionate and speaks his peace. I only hear what ESPN says so im sure you guys have heard more being in the area.

Find the Stephen Jones interview and listen to it. It wasn’t anything that should have resulted in Dez throwing Lee and Frederick under the bus.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:38 am

Good times...

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#49 » by Mr B » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:41 am

Good to see Taco showing some fire.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Mr B wrote:Good to see Taco showing some fire.

Hopefully it wasn't just because Collins put him on his ass... twice.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:21 pm

All of you Rico fans... take note

Jean-Jacques Taylor, Cowboys insider for NBC 5 in Dallas-Fort Worth (KXAS-TV) and host of J Dub City from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. weekdays on 103.3 KESN-FM, answered questions during a live chat recently about the Dallas Cowboys. Here are some of the highlights.

Question: What has been the most surprising story or development you've seen at training camp?

JJT:
I've been pretty surprised by how sluggish Rico Gathers looks. He looks slow and lumbering compared to the other tight ends. He doesn't look nearly as fluid. I'd say he's going to have a tough time making the team. Anything you talk about the tight ends with folks in the front office, his name is almost always the fourth out of their mouth. That's not a positive.

Question: Is it too early to say this is the Dallas Cowboy's best offensive line of the last decade?

JJT:
Absolutely, it's too early. Three of these guys have quite a few accolades stacked up next to their name. La'El Collins is trying to improve from a solid year at right tackle and Connor Williams has gotta prove he can play at this level. There's so much to be proved. Do they have potential? Absolutely, but those other outstanding lines did it on the field. This one must do it.

Question: What role will Tavon Austin have in the offense this season?

JJT:
He's going to be a play-maker, they hope. They want to give him some carries and let him catch the ball in space and hope like heck that he can create some big plays. He has tremendous speed and quickness, but he's never been able to get it untracked in the NFL. Maybe, this is the year. Clearly, he's going to be a hybrid player. If he had 800 rushing and receiving and 5 TDS, it would be a good season.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#52 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Aug 1, 2018 12:02 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:Good to see Taco showing some fire.

Hopefully it wasn't just because Collins put him on his ass... twice.

You mean Collins actually blocked someone? :wink: :rofl: :falloff:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#53 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Aug 1, 2018 12:04 am

gravytrain24 wrote:

Read on Twitter

You poor guy. You only have Homerville ESPN with Steven A. And cactus Kellerman to get your info. :wink: :pityfool:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#54 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Aug 1, 2018 12:06 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:All of you Rico fans... take note

Jean-Jacques Taylor, Cowboys insider for NBC 5 in Dallas-Fort Worth (KXAS-TV) and host of J Dub City from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. weekdays on 103.3 KESN-FM, answered questions during a live chat recently about the Dallas Cowboys. Here are some of the highlights.

Question: What has been the most surprising story or development you've seen at training camp?

JJT:
I've been pretty surprised by how sluggish Rico Gathers looks. He looks slow and lumbering compared to the other tight ends. He doesn't look nearly as fluid. I'd say he's going to have a tough time making the team. Anything you talk about the tight ends with folks in the front office, his name is almost always the fourth out of their mouth. That's not a positive.

Question: Is it too early to say this is the Dallas Cowboy's best offensive line of the last decade?

JJT:
Absolutely, it's too early. Three of these guys have quite a few accolades stacked up next to their name. La'El Collins is trying to improve from a solid year at right tackle and Connor Williams has gotta prove he can play at this level. There's so much to be proved. Do they have potential? Absolutely, but those other outstanding lines did it on the field. This one must do it.

JJT:
He's going to be a play-maker, they hope. They want to give him some carries and let him catch the ball in space and hope like heck that he can create some big plays. He has tremendous speed and quickness, but he's never been able to get it untracked in the NFL. Maybe, this is the year. Clearly, he's going to be a hybrid player. If he had 800 rushing and receiving and 5 TDS, it would be a good season.

So how many wasted picks have we had the past decade drafting TE's and still have nothing? And my biggest worry with Austin is he has a very bad habit of coughing up the ball when he gets popped.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Aug 1, 2018 2:04 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

JJT:

JJT:

JJT:

So how many wasted picks have we had the past decade drafting TE's and still have nothing? And my biggest worry with Austin is he has a very bad habit of coughing up the ball when he gets popped.

As least we didn't waste a 2nd on Rico. Taking a flyer with a 6th round pick I can deal with. Here's hoping Schultz wasn't a wasted 2nd.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Aug 2, 2018 2:14 pm

Twitter highlights last night of Michael Gallup and Allen Hurns were very enjoyable. Both have moves and both go get the ball.

Dak was throwing dimes as well.

Cautiously optimistic. I think this is going to be a fun season.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#57 » by Mr B » Fri Aug 3, 2018 1:42 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

JJT:

JJT:

JJT:

They have wasted a lot of picks on TE’s over the last decade. Not really because the guys couldn’t play though. It had more to do with having a HOF TE dominating the snaps and not giving the young guys a chance to show they had anything. They should have never been spending premium picks on TE’s. Most of the guys they drafted went on to have solid NFL careers, even Bennett.

With that said, I don’t mind the wasted pick on Rico considering it was a late pick and he was worth taking a flyer on at the time. I think when it’s all said and done they end up going light at TE and will only keep Jarwin and Schultz. Jarwin will end up being the starter.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 3, 2018 2:55 pm

Sounds like (based on observers I listen to on the Ticket) that the defense is ahead of schedule and Dak is behind schedule. Nothing to be alarmed about at this early stage... but sounds like "work in progress".
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#59 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Aug 3, 2018 3:02 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Sounds like (based on observers I listen to on the Ticket) that the defense is ahead of schedule and Dak is behind schedule. Nothing to be alarmed about at this early stage... but sounds like "work in progress".

Kinda surprised Dak is behind schedule. As hard as he works and prepares. He is also a film room junkie.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 3, 2018 3:19 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Sounds like (based on observers I listen to on the Ticket) that the defense is ahead of schedule and Dak is behind schedule. Nothing to be alarmed about at this early stage... but sounds like "work in progress".

Kinda surprised Dak is behind schedule. As hard as he works and prepares. He is also a film room junkie.

The argument was made that (as he has put it in the past) this is the time to try different things to see if they work. That along with the defense knowing the offense pretty well may well explain it. I'm certainly not alarmed. 6 weeks is a long time down the road to be worried. Now if they are saying the same thing the week before the opener, then I'll have concerns.

Return to Dallas Cowboys