ImageImageImage

Great. Just what they need.

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Re: Great. Just what they need. 

Post#21 » by King Bugs » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:34 pm

Awesome, now both of our bigs can shoot less than 45% from the field!
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#22 » by Invictus88 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 pm

He gets at least a bit of slack from me because he did improve last summer.

If you watched the videos posted then you know he's worked on more than just a corner three. To be honest, as long as he is in the gym working on something and not getting fat in the off-season then I am totally on board.

Wait till the preseason and see if it is working there and in practice. If so, phase it in and see how it goes. At any stage you can always pull the plug.

He's in the gym. During the summer. When he's not getting paid. Working on his game. Why are we complaining again?
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#23 » by The_Irony » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:43 pm

flow wrote:
The_Irony wrote:
flow wrote:
There are many things he should be working on all summer. That's not one of them.

what makes you think 3 pointers is the only thing he's done this summer?

Did I say that it was?

your narrow minded post implied it was.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#24 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:03 pm

flow wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:
Kilo wrote:
Somebody has gotta zag. He should be working on guarding out further, but bloody hell he should be a dominator down low given more teams going small ball.

I doubt he’s looking to be a Stretch 5. He’s simply spacing the floor. It’s whats needed with Blake at the 4. Both of them need a semblance of a jump shot to let the other play to their strengths.

He's not spacing the floor. Nobody's going out to guard him.

They will if he can shoot 30%
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Post#25 » by zeebneeb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:03 pm

Invictus88 wrote:He gets at least a bit of slack from me because he did improve last summer.

If you watched the videos posted then you know he's worked on more than just a corner three. To be honest, as long as he is in the gym working on something and not getting fat in the off-season then I am totally on board.

Wait till the preseason and see if it is working there and in practice. If so, phase it in and see how it goes. At any stage you can always pull the plug.

He's in the gym. During the summer. When he's not getting paid. Working on his game. Why are we complaining again?
Becuase that's how Piston fans roll.

Got a big man doing things not seen in decades?

Trade him for a pick!

Got a big man who has improved every year and even almost set a record for free throw improvment?

Trade him for a pick and tank!

Got a big man that wants to round out his game to benefit the team and the teammates around him?

Trade him for a pick, tank, and move the team to Seattle!

I hate being a Pistons fan sometimes.
mrroboto4889
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#26 » by mrroboto4889 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:33 pm

flow wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:
Kilo wrote:
Somebody has gotta zag. He should be working on guarding out further, but bloody hell he should be a dominator down low given more teams going small ball.

I doubt he’s looking to be a Stretch 5. He’s simply spacing the floor. It’s whats needed with Blake at the 4. Both of them need a semblance of a jump shot to let the other play to their strengths.

He's not spacing the floor. Nobody's going out to guard him.

Well...yeah. That's why he's working on the shot? Wtf point are you even arguing?
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#27 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 1, 2018 12:11 am

This thread has gotten my interest more than any other in the past few months.

Not to say that it’s all that interesting; just making a point.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#28 » by pistonsbball » Wed Aug 1, 2018 12:39 am

He's always had great shooting touch from range. The question is can he make them spotting up with time to think rather than an end of shot clock situation. If he can shoot 35% from the corner it'll be huge for the team and the Blake/Andre tandem.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#29 » by vic » Wed Aug 1, 2018 1:41 am

Love it.

With the way the game is called today, every player has to be a triple threat. If Dre and Blake can both shoot 33% on 3s and dominate the boards, the Pistons will be ok.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#30 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Aug 1, 2018 1:57 am

Last year free throws, this year 3 pointers. Next year he's extending his range to the halfcourt line. Five seasons from now, he'll just pull down the defensive rebound and pull up for the shot. Unguardable!
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#31 » by The_Irony » Wed Aug 1, 2018 2:21 am

zeebneeb wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:He gets at least a bit of slack from me because he did improve last summer.

Trade him for a pick!

Got a big man who has improved every year and even almost set a record for free throw improvment?

Got a big man that wants to round out his game to benefit the team and the teammates around him?

OP is the guy who only works out his arms cause doing his legs is too much progression for one person.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#32 » by DetroitPistons » Wed Aug 1, 2018 2:25 am

zeebneeb wrote:

Trade him for a pick!

Amen. Not only did he drastically improve his FT% but he improved his defense by about just as much. He became a legit defensive anchor last year. If he adds a 3pt shot he will be one of the best big men in the league. Not to mention he's already a generational rebounder.
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Re: RE: Re: Great. Just what they need. 

Post#33 » by sludgefoot » Wed Aug 1, 2018 2:36 am

flow wrote:
DETermination wrote:Anyone who has followed Andre on social media knows hes been working all offseason on adding a jumpshot to his game. And Dwane Casey wants Andre to start taking corner threes. Andre fixed is horrible looking free throw form last season and now jumper looks improved too. I am a little skeptical also but if Andre can atleast become an ok shooter then it makes our offense so much better. So many times last season Blake would be trying to post up or attack the basket and Dre would kind of be in the way, If Andre could shoot corner threes it could give Blake more space to attack the basket when they play together. Will this work out? Who knows but imo I would rather see Andre shooting corner threes than those ugly post hooks.

At least the awful post 'throws' and shot-puts leave him in position for offensive rebounds.
I think those little "put" shots already take him out of position for an offensive rebounds. I'll hope for 33% corner 3's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using RealGM mobile app
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#34 » by King Bugs » Wed Aug 1, 2018 8:29 am

flow wrote:He's not spacing the floor. Nobody's going out to guard him.

Right, no one is going to chase Andre off 3s. Teams will definitely live with that, if anything it just takes away from what makes him great, getting extra possessions. 5 offensive rebounds a game standing 20 feet away from the basket on a team that was in the bottom 3rd in FG% is baffling (only one of those teams made the playoffs btw - Boston). I'm not a fan of it, even if it's some of the time.

We'd be better served with him becoming automatic with the Chris Bosh/David West elbow jumper instead. But if Andre wants to try to become Anthony Davis or KAT, I can't stop him so... more power to him I guess. I can only hope he'll be successful in this endeavor.
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#35 » by srt4b » Wed Aug 1, 2018 11:50 am

I am 100% for this. If he can hit a few and get rolling he can pass to Blake, Bullock cutting etc.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#36 » by Billl » Wed Aug 1, 2018 1:32 pm

Not sure why anyone is upset that Dre is working on his J. That's something every player should do. He's probably never going to be a legit threat, but he should still work at it.

The thing that would really improve his game is if he could work on that Tim duncan pick-and-pop bank shot off a pick and roll. Teams just pack the paint on that play now, so if he had some sort of counter to that, things would open up a lot for him as well as the guards. It's not a shot you want him taking 10 times a game or something, but it would help immeasurably in the playoffs.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#37 » by whitehops » Wed Aug 1, 2018 2:18 pm

boggles my mind that people could find it a negative that a player is adding another element to their game. so many centers have gone from not shooting any three pointers to being legit threats from there (marc gasol, brook lopez, etc.). drummond being able to space the floor helps blake out a lot.

it's funny though, because dwane casey said last offseason he wanted JV to practice 3's and that news was met with the same reaction from raptors fans - some fans glad but a lot very opposed to it. JV had shot 1/4 from 3 to that point in his five seasons.

JV started out reluctantly, but in january when he started taking 3's regularly (pretty much every game, some games multiple times) he took 1.7 3's a game and hit them at a .417 clip. teams left him completely wide open to shoot at the beginning of the season, by the end teams were closing out on him and clearly respected his shot.

this is going to be a multi-year process but it's definitely something drummond should be working on.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 613

Post#38 » by tradez401 » Wed Aug 1, 2018 2:26 pm

man some ppl on this forum complain about every little thing why not find a new team or somethin.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#39 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Aug 1, 2018 3:26 pm

What’s underrated is how much Andre improved on D while in an archaic scheme that sets big men up to fail.
engelbert321
Head Coach
And1: 1,369

Post#40 » by engelbert321 » Wed Aug 1, 2018 5:13 pm

With the way the NBA is right now, I don't mind this.

Return to Detroit Pistons