Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

yug
Ballboy
And1: 6

Re: Great. Just what they need. 

Post#41 » by yug » Wed Aug 1, 2018 5:13 pm

The_Irony wrote:
flow wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:He’s been working on it all summer. It would be a good thing if he can add that but I am skeptical to say the least. Hopefully he knows there are severe limitations to how many of these he should attempt unless he proves himself

There are many things he should be working on all summer. That's not one of them.

what makes you think 3 pointers is the only thing he's done this summer?

Maybe his attitude, quotes, and the fact he's 6' yrs in scoring 15 ppg on 52% FGs. At age 19 he scored 13.5 ppg on 62% Fgs. So he's added 1.5 ppg a the cost of a 10 FG% efficiency in the last 4 yrs. You fill the in between, I can't. He's a worse offensive player, plain and simple. He doesn't play to his strengths and is a bad shot taker who shies from contact, and wanting to become a 3-pt shooter just cements the reality of who he is.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,069

Post#42 » by MrBigShot » Wed Aug 1, 2018 9:07 pm

Skeptical, but I like his attitude. If he wants to improve/try to add aspects to his game I'm all for it.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#43 » by Warspite » Wed Aug 1, 2018 10:24 pm

What summer is he going to learn to post up or dunk or drop step or hook shot? He has HoF potential but......
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#44 » by BDM22 » Wed Aug 1, 2018 11:54 pm

Warspite wrote:What summer is he going to learn to post up or dunk or drop step or hook shot? He has HoF potential but......

Pretty sure he's up near the top of the league in dunks every year...

As for the other stuff, it has always been clear as day that he's better when he faces the rim. Not sure why people want to force him to do things that don't come naturally to him just because that was the thing big guys did in the past. Look at the offensive bigs that succeed in today's NBA... Embiid, Cousins, AD, KAT, etc. All guys who can score from anywhere.

Long ago the rule changes made guys who are a threat from outside but can attack off the dribble nearly impossible to guard. It's only natural that the days of the slow-it-down back-to-the-basket big man would fade out.

Why anyone would take Andre trying to add to his game as a negative is beyond me...
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#45 » by Spider156 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 4:43 am

DETermination wrote:Anyone who has followed Andre on social media knows hes been working all offseason on adding a jumpshot to his game. And Dwane Casey wants Andre to start shooting corner threes. Andre fixed is horrible looking free throw form last season and now his jumper looks improved too. I am a little skeptical also but if Andre can atleast become an ok shooter then it makes our offense so much better. So many times last season Blake would be trying to post up or attack the basket and Dre would kind of be in the way, If Andre could shoot corner threes it could give Blake more space to attack the basket when they play together. Will this work out? Who knows but imo I would rather see Andre shooting corner threes than those ugly post hooks.

The bolded part. Yes. He sucks so bad at the hook shot. It shouldn't be that hard to get it in if you have a feeling for it. He doesn't. I'd rather Blake play inside while having Drummond out taking long range shots instead of post up.
Defense wins championships
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#46 » by dVs33 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 6:16 am

I don't mind him working on other aspects of his game. If it gives griffin more room to work inside then we'll be better for it. I just worry about Dre's shot selection. He isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#47 » by thesack12 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 4:08 pm

Not trying to speak for others, but I think most of the reason why some people aren't thrilled with this is because Andre hasn't ever had a solid, or even serviceable, jumpshot from anywhere on the floor. He does over 90% of his work in the paint.

Just seems to be a put the cart before the horse type of move here. Might be better suited for him to develop a reliable midrange jumper and get him more comfortable looking for his shot outside of the paint before trying to incorporate a 3 ball for him.

Its good he's practicing it, but in game situations if they plan on trying to use this regularly it has potential to get pretty ugly.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#48 » by Invictus88 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 8:42 pm

thesack12 wrote:Not trying to speak for others, but I think most of the reason why some people aren't thrilled with this is because Andre hasn't ever had a solid, or even serviceable, jumpshot from anywhere on the floor. He does over 90% of his work in the paint.

Just seems to be a put the cart before the horse type of move here. Might be better suited for him to develop a reliable midrange jumper and get him more comfortable looking for his shot outside of the paint before trying to incorporate a 3 ball for him.

Its good he's practicing it, but in game situations if they plan on trying to use this regularly it has potential to get pretty ugly.

At least from the videos I've seen, the shooting work isn't solely from behind the three point line. But it's largely a chicken and the egg problem: Do you justify working on an outside shot by taking and missing them in games first? Or do you work on the outside shot so you can justify taking them in games?

Also, if you look at what he was doing on the offensive end last year there were countless opportunities where he was at the top of the key with the ball; his only options being to dribble hand-off, pass, or drive. Being able to shoot from that position drastically changes what the defense has to do and can open up real estate for cutters.

That was last year though. No idea whether Casey uses something similar.

I will say this: Even if outside shooting totally flops it will have accomplished 2 important things: 1. kept him active and engaged during the offseason. 2. Made him more comfortable with shooting which I can only think helps his free throws.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#49 » by Richard Miller » Thu Aug 2, 2018 9:06 pm

whitehops wrote:boggles my mind that people could find it a negative that a player is adding another element to their game. so many centers have gone from not shooting any three pointers to being legit threats from there (marc gasol, brook lopez, etc.). drummond being able to space the floor helps blake out a lot.

Should note that Lopez and Gasol were shooting FTs nearly .8 their whole career, while Andre was well known for not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#50 » by hoophabit » Thu Aug 2, 2018 9:45 pm

A quote from "the score" that enlarges on Drummond's statement:
“I don’t do stuff (on the court) just to have fun,” Drummond said. “If I’m taking those shots, (it’s because) I’m working on it for the upcoming season. Those are shots that I’m gonna be taking. I make at least 200 corner 3s every day before I leave the gym. I’m getting them up. I’m getting the same shot up over and over again, so I’m getting more comfortable with it. It’s been great so far.”
Still can't imagine it'll be a big part of his game, but it sounds like he's practicing hard which is a good thing.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#51 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Aug 2, 2018 11:57 pm

It took him six years to break fifty percent from the free throw line, now he’s working on threes? Sweet, he should break thirty percent by the time Griffin’s contract is up!
BDM22
RealGM

Post#52 » by BDM22 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 1:14 am

Richard Miller wrote:
whitehops wrote:boggles my mind that people could find it a negative that a player is adding another element to their game. so many centers have gone from not shooting any three pointers to being legit threats from there (marc gasol, brook lopez, etc.). drummond being able to space the floor helps blake out a lot.

Should note that Lopez and Gasol were shooting FTs nearly .8 their whole career, while Andre was well known for not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

There are guys like Bruce Bowen who are poor FT shooters for their career yet very solid 3-point shooters. For a lot of people, the FT is more of a mental hurdle. I think he even had a higher 3P% than FT% one year.

EDIT: Yep, in 02-03, Bowen shot 40.4% from the line and lead the league with 44.1% from three. :lol:
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#53 » by Richard Miller » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:17 am

BDM22 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

There are guys like Bruce Bowen who are poor FT shooters for their career yet very solid 3-point shooters. For a lot of people, the FT is more of a mental hurdle. I think he even had a higher 3P% than FT% one year.

EDIT: Yep, in 02-03, Bowen shot 40.4% from the line and lead the league with 44.1% from three. :lol:

How is that even relevant? :) Bowen didn't suddenly start shooting 3s in 02-03, he was shooting them every season.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#54 » by Invictus88 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 8:46 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

How is that even relevant? :) Bowen didn't suddenly start shooting 3s in 02-03, he was shooting them every season.

BDM was trying to provide in Bowen a counterexample to your implying that Dre is unlikely to be a good three point shooter based solely on his free throw shooting percentage. (You mentioned FT shooting in relation to Lopez and Gasol)

You then pointed out a previously unmentioned variable (experience shooting 3s in years previous) as a reason why Bowen isn't a relevant counterexample.

It may very well be that lack of 3pt. shooting experience lessens the likelihood of Drummond being successful. However, that point wasn't related to the previous line of discussion. BDM's point was.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#55 » by Richard Miller » Fri Aug 3, 2018 11:29 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

BDM was trying to provide in Bowen a counterexample to your implying that Dre is unlikely to be a good three point shooter based solely on his free throw shooting percentage. (You mentioned FT shooting in relation to Lopez and Gasol)

You then pointed out a previously unmentioned variable (experience shooting 3s in years previous) as a reason why Bowen isn't a relevant counterexample.

It may very well be that lack of 3pt. shooting experience lessens the likelihood of Drummond being successful. However, that point wasn't related to the previous line of discussion. BDM's point was.

Nope, I never said it's solely because of FT percentage - to put it simply there's nothing to suggest Drummond would be a decent 3pt shooter, he doesn't have the touch, he's poor from FT line, poor from midrange, and so on, of course it's not impossible, but it's easy to see why people are skeptical (which whitehops thought to be mind-boggling).
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#56 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Aug 3, 2018 11:34 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

Nope, I never said it's solely because of FT percentage - to put it simply there's nothing to suggest Drummond would be a decent 3pt shooter, he doesn't have the touch, he's poor from FT line, poor from midrange, and so on, of course it's not impossible, but it's easy to see why people are skeptical (which whitehops thought to be mind-boggling).

Drummond has great touch
BDM22
RealGM

Post#57 » by BDM22 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 11:53 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

When exactly have we seen him shoot jumpers from the mid-range? Or any range for that matter?

SVG was convinced he could turn Dre into a hook-shot guy despite the fact that he's never had a good feel for it.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#58 » by Richard Miller » Sat Aug 4, 2018 12:10 am

BDM22 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

When exactly have we seen him shoot jumpers from the mid-range? Or any range for that matter?

SVG was convinced he could turn Dre into a hook-shot guy despite the fact that he's never had a good feel for it.

Well exactly, is it more likely he has an awesome jumper he's been hiding for some reason all these years or he simply doesn't have a good one at all? I think I saw somewhere he's 29% from midrange. Anyway, I guess we are going to find out before long.
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#59 » by Spider156 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:17 am

I'd take a developing 3 pt shot any day over a routine miss hookshot from Drummond
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#60 » by Spider156 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:22 am

All Drummond needs to do is take it from 2 spots. The corners or top of the key. Why? He's a good passer from the high post. If he can make the top of the key it'll open up passing lanes and shots for every player on the court. If he can make the corner 3, Blake is gonna feast inside the paint. I keep watching Blake's post up highlights over and over and over. I haven't seen the lean in move he does. He can do it because he's big and strong and it's really impressive. Very impressive. I mean he literally puts his whole body into the players chest and digsss deeppp down until the player's legs almost collapse and he pops up for an easy layup. It is so expert, so professional that I just sit there with my mouth wide open astonished as I've never seen talent like that before. Drummond can do the same thing if he learns it and can do easier than Blake cuz he's bigger and wider and stronger. I just think a corner 3 from Dre would open up the world for Blake so I'm 100% in Drummond's 3 pt development. You CANNOT and have NO RIGHT to doubt Drummond anymore. He's dominated the league on the glass and he's developed his FT shot so much better. He can do anything he wants if he puts his mind into it. Next season could very well be his breakout season. A breakout season means Drummond will be a superstar. That happens and we're contending to the Finals no questions asked.

Return to Detroit Pistons