Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Cole Anthony 

Post#1 » by retrobro90 » Wed Aug 1, 2018 6:56 am

Searched this board to see if anyone had made a thread about him but couldn't find one.

Son of Greg Anthony. Headed to his senior year of HS and top rated point guard in the class of '19. Super explosive north/south primary handler in the mold of a Rose/Westbrook archetype. Recently profiled in SLAM magazine.

Per SLAM:

"While Cole’s status as the top PG in the Class of 2019 was pretty much cemented this past season, his performance on the EYBL circuit with PSA this spring has placed him in a different conversation. He averaged 26.9 points per game through the four weekend sessions, while in one stretch finishing with 30+ points in five consecutive games. Cole ended up being the leading scorer within the EYBL—touted as the toughest grassroots league in the world—while also leading the league in free throws made. And no, he isn’t just offense. Last year he was named the EYBL’s defensive player of the year."

You can find the rest of the article here.

https://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/cole-anthony-cover/

And some of his EYBL highlights

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,887

Re: Cole Anthony 

Post#2 » by cgf » Wed Aug 1, 2018 8:44 am

When will we know for sure that he can no longer reclassify to take advantage of this weak PG class?
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#3 » by EMG518 » Wed Aug 1, 2018 2:35 pm

Granted I have never seen the kid play but just judging off of that 2 minute clip I don't see a top of the draft pg prospect.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 1, 2018 5:08 pm

Best player currently in high school. Right now my easy #1 choice for the 2020 draft, I also would have him #1 in this upcomming draft.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 1, 2018 5:12 pm

EMG518 wrote:Granted I have never seen the kid play but just judging off of that 2 minute clip I don't see a top of the draft pg prospect.

Explosive athlete, really good shooter, when paired up with other top tier players he shown a very solid facilitating foundation as well. He's kind of the perfect PG you want in today's game, an explosive scorer that can also run and facilitate your offense.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#6 » by nolang1 » Wed Aug 1, 2018 7:23 pm

EMG518 wrote:Granted I have never seen the kid play but just judging off of that 2 minute clip I don't see a top of the draft pg prospect.

Translation: not enough dunks
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#7 » by isiah_thomas » Thu Aug 2, 2018 1:05 am

Seen him play/live dude is legit lighting quick athletic and can shoot
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#8 » by EMG518 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 2:30 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Best player currently in high school. Right now my easy #1 choice for the 2020 draft, I also would have him #1 in this upcomming draft.

Look forward to seeing him play in that case.
baca
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#9 » by baca » Thu Aug 2, 2018 4:19 pm

More like a SG than PG, Cole's Assistant/ TO rate is too low for a lead guard. His athleticism is superb, but his size and wingspan is just average for PG and below average for a combo guard. The player with similar great athleticism but average size/wingspan is Dennis Smith. I don't have high confidence on him to be successful in NBA as I have like RJ Barrett or Jalen Green.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,263

Post#10 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Aug 3, 2018 1:02 am

When I see guys like him and Barrett, I think they can be "superstars" in the sense that someone like Harden or Westbrook are.

But not "generational" or all-time like a LeBron, KD, AD etc. Most of them have elite physical tools in combination with elite ball skills. These kids have elite ball skills but I don't think they will be able to dominate in the way larger players do. Not trying to hate because I think both the names I mentioned are gonna be VERY good players in the league but I'm not over the top with excitement about them as prospects because there's levels to it and I don't think either will be quite THAT level but still great prospects nonetheless.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#11 » by skiz2 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:49 am

He and Anthony Edwards are the best players in HS basketball at the moment.

Anthony is the closest thing to Derrick Rose I have seen since Rose. Normally, a PG has elite athleticism and low IQ or high IQ and low athleticism, that is simply not the case with Anthony.

Someone mentioned his low A:T ratio, you have to keep in mind his AAU team is complete garbage outside of him. To have finished in the middle of the pack for the EYBL is a testament to how much of an impact he has. They even beat Kofi Cockburn and Jalen Lecque’s team by 30+ points and he made Lecque look silly.

Surround Anthony with talent and he can manage a team. He can play both guard spots, but is much more effective with the ball in his hands.

Unless somethin changes drastically and he has a serious injury I really would take him number 1 in 2020 without looking back.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#12 » by Marcus » Tue Aug 7, 2018 5:59 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Explosive athlete, really good shooter, when paired up with other top tier players he shown a very solid facilitating foundation as well. He's kind of the perfect PG you want in today's game, an explosive scorer that can also run and facilitate your offense.

can he go left though?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 6:16 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

can he go left though?

Elite control with his right hand, average with his left. He is definitely right hand dominant and is going to have to improve going left. But I dont think it is going to be a major issue with him.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#14 » by Upperclass » Wed Aug 8, 2018 7:57 pm

He's not that good imo. Doesn't appear to have elite NBA athleticism or size. Just confidence. Could be Mike Conley if he pans out. If he doesn't. Probably struggles to stay in the league like a sebastian telfair.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#15 » by jonjames » Wed Aug 8, 2018 8:09 pm

Upperclass wrote:He's not that good imo. Doesn't appear to have elite NBA athleticism or size. Just confidence. Could be Mike Conley if he pans out. If he doesn't. Probably struggles to stay in the league like a sebastian telfair.

I don't think he will be that good either but you can't say hes not an elite athlete. Hes super athletic.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:36 am

I was at the Steph Curry Select camp game last night. None of these players really jumped out at me from a basketball standpoint. Wiseman is a physical freak and Scottie Lewis seems like an athletic freak. I did get to say hi to Greg Anthony which was cool (he said hi back to me). There's definitely potential with a lot of these kids. Was hoping to see Scottie Barnes and Vernon Carey, but they weren't in the camp apparently.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#17 » by Upperclass » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:52 am

jonjames wrote:
Upperclass wrote:He's not that good imo. Doesn't appear to have elite NBA athleticism or size. Just confidence. Could be Mike Conley if he pans out. If he doesn't. Probably struggles to stay in the league like a sebastian telfair.

I don't think he will be that good either but you can't say hes not an elite athlete. Hes super athletic.

When he's alone on the court yes.. But so was Jordan Farmar. In a half court setting vs other good players.. he's constantly below the rim and also lacks a first step IMO
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#18 » by tundraknight » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Best player currently in high school. Right now my easy #1 choice for the 2020 draft, I also would have him #1 in this upcomming draft.

James Wiseman is the #1 Ranked player in High School.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:20 pm

tundraknight wrote:

Ya I know, Im just not that big of a fan of the bigs in this class. Hes a good fluid athlete that is long but he doesnt really shine anywhere on the court. I think a lot of people are going to hope he can be the JJJ, but hes not. He has a funky slow shot that has never been consistent and hes a bad FT shooter as well. Also for how long he is and being a good athlete, you would hope for much better rim protection numbers. The dude also just lacks a feel for the game in my opinion on both ends.
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#20 » by skiz2 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:58 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
tundraknight wrote:

Ya I know, Im just not that big of a fan of the bigs in this class. Hes a good fluid athlete that is long but he doesnt really shine anywhere on the court. I think a lot of people are going to hope he can be the JJJ, but hes not. He has a funky slow shot that has never been consistent and hes a bad FT shooter as well. Also for how long he is and being a good athlete, you would hope for much better rim protection numbers. The dude also just lacks a feel for the game in my opinion on both ends.

He doesn’t really try too hard either. I wonder about if he has a inner junkyard dog in him or not. I watched Kofi Cockburn and Isaiah Stewart really give him the business. I wasn’t really impressed with him.

Return to NBA Draft