WWE General Discussion II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Re: WWE General Discussion II 

Post#121 » by Scott Hall » Mon Aug 6, 2018 5:02 am

improper wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:Just watched Summerslam 2007 probably the first time I've watched it since watching it live when it happened.
Do yourself a favor and skip this one if you're ever looking to watch an old Summerslam. The roster was getting
crappy and I think 2007 was around the start of a downfall and long slump for the company.

Not really sure it can be considered a slump when it's been going on for over a decade now. :lol:

The product is probably the worst it's ever been despite the roster being the most talented, which is just really sad and unfortunate. So many performers I love on the roster and creative just does nothing with them.

I was trying to be polite :wink:

Highlight of SummerSlam 2007 is Mae Young making out with Vince then Vince telling Jonathan Coachman
that he liked it followed by Coach telling him that's disgusting with Vince then telling him "ever heard that
expression old chicken makes good soup?"

Then cutting back to JR saying "I may never eat chicken soup again"

But hey at least we have NXT now?
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#122 » by improper » Mon Aug 6, 2018 5:23 am

Scott Hall wrote:But hey at least we have NXT now?

Yeah, we should really talk more about the incredible hot streak NXT has been on. Has there ever been a bad Takeover? First one I ever watched was the one where Zayn won the NXT title and I don't think there's been a single Takeover since that was bad. Hell, it's hard for me to even remember the last one that had an outright bad match. Some of the shows were merely good rather than great, but there hasn't been a single clunker that I can recall. That's a basically unprecedented streak of quality, and all three shows this year have been phenomenal, with one of them being one of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen from top to bottom.

The consistency in the quality of Takeovers is just incredible, and it sure as hell doesn't seem like Brooklyn is going to break the streak based on the card.

The main roster has had over twice as many PPVs this year and their shows have quite a few more matches. Despite that, I guarantee you that, if we ranked the matches with Takeover's matches too, NXT would have at least the top five all to itself. That's madness when you look at that WWE roster.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#123 » by bestnamezRtaken » Mon Aug 6, 2018 11:55 am

The great thing about NXT being so good though, is when Vince finally does give up creative control (or passes away, whichever comes first, likely the latter), Trips is very likely going to be the one that takes over that position. So that's kind of neat.
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#124 » by improper » Mon Aug 6, 2018 10:04 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:The great thing about NXT being so good though, is when Vince finally does give up creative control (or passes away, whichever comes first, likely the latter), Trips is very likely going to be the one that takes over that position. So that's kind of neat.

I'm honestly kind of surprised the guy is still alive. I know he's in great shape, but the dude has clearly been abusing steroids for decades now.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,749

Post#125 » by Stanford » Tue Aug 7, 2018 1:48 am

You guys are kidding yourselves. Vince McMahon is not dying before any of you.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#126 » by Spens1 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 2:37 am

Stanford wrote:You guys are kidding yourselves. Vince McMahon is not dying before any of you.

let us hope and pray the XFL does well so he goes away.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#127 » by Spens1 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 2:39 am

Also Sasha vs Bayley worst storyline of the year. This is like Sheamus vs Cesaro where their was no payoff, but worse arguably.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by improper » Tue Aug 7, 2018 2:57 am

Stanford wrote:You guys are kidding yourselves. Vince McMahon is not dying before any of you.

Probably not, but I'm at the point where I'm hoping he goes soon just so I can enjoy WWE programming again.

Spens1 wrote:Also Sasha vs Bayley worst storyline of the year. This is like Sheamus vs Cesaro where their was no payoff, but worse arguably.

At least Sheamus and Cesaro resulted in an awesome tag team that had a ton of great matches. I don't see the same thing happening with Bayley and Sasha, mostly because the women's division just doesn't have enough talent to support a tag division. There are maybe ten women worth a damn as workers on the main roster, and I feel like that's being generous.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#129 » by Scott Hall » Tue Aug 7, 2018 5:48 am

improper wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:But hey at least we have NXT now?

Yeah, we should really talk more about the incredible hot streak NXT has been on. Has there ever been a bad Takeover? First one I ever watched was the one where Zayn won the NXT title and I don't think there's been a single Takeover since that was bad. Hell, it's hard for me to even remember the last one that had an outright bad match. Some of the shows were merely good rather than great, but there hasn't been a single clunker that I can recall. That's a basically unprecedented streak of quality, and all three shows this year have been phenomenal, with one of them being one of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen from top to bottom.

The consistency in the quality of Takeovers is just incredible, and it sure as hell doesn't seem like Brooklyn is going to break the streak based on the card.

The main roster has had over twice as many PPVs this year and their shows have quite a few more matches. Despite that, I guarantee you that, if we ranked the matches with Takeover's matches too, NXT would have at least the top five all to itself. That's madness when you look at that WWE roster.

It's amazing how NXT does every little thing right and Vince and his henchmen literally screw up everything
on the main roster and get it wrong. It doesn't matter how stacked the roster gets or if there is a brand split to
provide more opportunities everything turns to sh*t.

It's one of those things where nobody in the company will acknowledge this now but in 20 years or so on WWE
Network Specials there will be documentaries on this time period talking about how awful the product was
at this time and how good NXT was.

During the Monday War documentaries they talk about how bad WWE was in the mid 90's and how wrestlers
had occupations as gimmicks and how bad the product was and how WCW was able to beat them.

It's just amazing how complacent Vince is creatively at least in the old days when he had these ridiculous zany ideas
you could appreciate him trying to be creative and think out the box. During big PPV's if a feud was lacking something
he'd add some stipulation or a guest ref or enforcer or some kind of gimmick to get some juice out of the angle...

Now a days... what Finn Balor vs. Baron Corbin at SummerSlam when we've seen them wrestle a thousand times
already? Reigns vs. Lesnar for the 100th time when nobody wants to watch it again. Has the AOP took on Titus Worldwide
like 5 weeks in a row? How long has the Hardys been feuding with the B Team? And Rollins vs. Ziggler again? Seems
most of these matches were on the last PPV. What ever happened to not touching the guy before the PPV match?

It sucks the company is doing so well in different business avenues because he can justify lazy directionless creative
he knows the WWE "Brand" is so strong that he can throw anything out there and the people will just eat it up.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#130 » by improper » Tue Aug 7, 2018 6:01 am

Scott Hall wrote:It's amazing how NXT does every little thing right and Vince and his henchmen literally screw up everything
on the main roster and get it wrong. It doesn't matter how stacked the roster gets or if there is a brand split to

It's one of those things where nobody in the company will acknowledge this now but in 20 years or so on WWE
Network Specials there will be documentaries on this time period talking about how awful the product was

During the Monday War documentaries they talk about how bad WWE was in the mid 90's and how wrestlers
had occupations as gimmicks and how bad the product was and how WCW was able to beat them.

It's just amazing how complacent Vince is creatively at least in the old days when he had these ridiculous zany ideas
you could appreciate him trying to be creative and think out the box. During big PPV's if a feud was lacking something
he'd add some stipulation or a guest ref or enforcer or some kind of gimmick to get some juice out of the angle...

Now a days... what Finn Balor vs. Baron Corbin at SummerSlam when we've seen them wrestle a thousand times
already? Reigns vs. Lesnar for the 100th time when nobody wants to watch it again. Has the AOP took on Titus Worldwide
like 5 weeks in a row? How long has the Hardys been feuding with the B Team? And Rollins vs. Ziggler again? Seems
most of these matches were on the last PPV. What ever happened to not touching the guy before the PPV match?

It sucks the company is doing so well in different business avenues because he can justify lazy directionless creative
he knows the WWE "Brand" is so strong that he can throw anything out there and the people will just eat it up.

It really is astounding how good NXT is compared to how bad WWE is most weeks. I get that WWE has a lot more content, but they also have at least a dozen talented guys who barely show up on TV, so it's tough for me to say it's just the amount of weekly content that's the difference here. NXT reminds me of a toned down version of Attitude Era wrestling. Great angles, heels you hate, faces you love, simple but effective storytelling, and they let the wrestlers actually look like stars.

That, to me, is the main issue with main roster WWE. They don't let anyone other than Reigns or Cena become big stars. Styles never gets to main event PPVs despite being one of the two top champs in the company, and his matches always feel toned down these days, like they don't want to get him too over. Ziggler and Rollins should have had a barn-burner main event, as they're two of the best workers in the entire company, and instead the match felt booked to piss off the fans. Great heels become world champs but spend the entire time as chicken sh*t heels who have to cheat to win every damn match (see: Kevin Owens and Seth Rollins) so they never feel legit. It goes on and on. They have two dozen guys (probably more, honestly) who would be the top guys in other promotions and none of them are ever allowed to look too good, lest they take some shine from Roman Reigns.

It's just crazy seeing Triple H as a wrestler and how everything had to revolve around him and he buried guys right and left and now seeing him as a manager and how perfectly he seems to just get wrestling. Obviously it's not all him, but he's clearly smart enough to put talented people around him and let them do their jobs, and that's why NXT and everything else he touches (205 Live, the CWC, the MYC, and the two UK tournaments) is awesome.

But, at any rate, I'm basically done watching main roster programming and will continue to enjoy NXT so long as it's good.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#131 » by Scott Hall » Tue Aug 7, 2018 6:42 am

improper wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:It's amazing how NXT does every little thing right and Vince and his henchmen literally screw up everything

It really is astounding how good NXT is compared to how bad WWE is most weeks. I get that WWE has a lot more content, but they also have at least a dozen talented guys who barely show up on TV, so it's tough for me to say it's just the amount of weekly content that's the difference here. NXT reminds me of a toned down version of Attitude Era wrestling. Great angles, heels you hate, faces you love, simple but effective storytelling, and they let the wrestlers actually look like stars.

That, to me, is the main issue with main roster WWE. They don't let anyone other than Reigns or Cena become big stars. Styles never gets to main event PPVs despite being one of the two top champs in the company, and his matches always feel toned down these days, like they don't want to get him too over. Ziggler and Rollins should have had a barn-burner main event, as they're two of the best workers in the entire company, and instead the match felt booked to piss off the fans. Great heels become world champs but spend the entire time as chicken sh*t heels who have to cheat to win every damn match (see: Kevin Owens and Seth Rollins) so they never feel legit. It goes on and on. They have two dozen guys (probably more, honestly) who would be the top guys in other promotions and none of them are ever allowed to look too good, lest they take some shine from Roman Reigns.

It's just crazy seeing Triple H as a wrestler and how everything had to revolve around him and he buried guys right and left and now seeing him as a manager and how perfectly he seems to just get wrestling. Obviously it's not all him, but he's clearly smart enough to put talented people around him and let them do their jobs, and that's why NXT and everything else he touches (205 Live, the CWC, the MYC, and the two UK tournaments) is awesome.

But, at any rate, I'm basically done watching main roster programming and will continue to enjoy NXT so long as it's good.

Yeah and this has originated to the downfall of the product since the mid 2000's that we were talking about.
Vince botched the invasion angle then the nWo angle but inherited so many good wrestlers from WCW and ECW
it's sad how many talented performers career he ruined.

Only pushing guys he created Cena who the fans despised and HHH who was married to his daughter despite
being a lackluster in ring performer. He screwed up Angle who ended up wrestling for TNA for 10 years the list
goes on and on.

Him and Steph clashing with Heyman as lead writer of Smackdown was another tragedy...

It's just sad when I go back and watch stuff on the WWE network I have next to no interest in most PPVs from
2007 till now. I can only watch 80's to Mid 2000's for so long. The only fun thing about watching stuff from the
last 11 years is it seems fresh like I'm watching it for the first time because I don't remember what a lot of stuff
happens because I've forgotten from not caring.

Also I was with you about HHH expect for the part about 205 Live being "awesome" lol
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by improper » Tue Aug 7, 2018 6:45 am

Scott Hall wrote:Also I was with you about HHH expect for the part about 205 Live being "awesome" lol

205 Live has been really good since a few weeks after Enzo got fired and Vince ceded control to Triple H. If you haven't watched since then (which I wouldn't blame you for, since the Enzo 205 Live days were dark days indeed), I'd encourage you to check it out. It's a lot like NXT now. Just a good, no-nonsense wrestling show with at least one good to great match every week.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#133 » by Scott Hall » Tue Aug 7, 2018 6:58 am

improper wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:Also I was with you about HHH expect for the part about 205 Live being "awesome" lol

205 Live has been really good since a few weeks after Enzo got fired and Vince ceded control to Triple H. If you haven't watched since then (which I wouldn't blame you for, since the Enzo 205 Live days were dark days indeed), I'd encourage you to check it out. It's a lot like NXT now. Just a good, no-nonsense wrestling show with at least one good to great match every week.

I've watched and outside of the Buddy Murphy vs. Mustafa Ali match a month ago and the arrival of Lio Rush
it's still a boring show with literally nobody on the roster over. I've never seen almost an entire roster where
the audience doesn't care or is vested in the characters.

Last week there was a Cedric Alexander vs. Brian Kendrick match and the crowd started a "This is boring" chant
and this is with your champion during the main event. Before that you could here a pin drop in the crowd.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#134 » by improper » Tue Aug 7, 2018 7:01 am

Scott Hall wrote:I've watched and outside of the Buddy Murphy vs. Mustafa Ali match a month ago and the arrival of Lio Rush
it's still a boring show with literally nobody on the roster over. I've never seen almost an entire roster where

Last week there was a Cedric Alexander vs. Brian Kendrick match and the crowd started a "This is boring" chant
and this is with your champion during the main event. Before that you could here a pin drop in the crowd.

I think that has less to do with match quality and more to do with just a poor time slot. Having them go on after Smackdown is just a bad call. They should either film the show before in an effort to get the crowd invested or they should film it in a smaller venue like NXT where the crowd is fully invested in the guys.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#135 » by Scott Hall » Tue Aug 7, 2018 7:18 am

improper wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:I've watched and outside of the Buddy Murphy vs. Mustafa Ali match a month ago and the arrival of Lio Rush

I think that has less to do with match quality and more to do with just a poor time slot. Having them go on after Smackdown is just a bad call. They should either film the show before in an effort to get the crowd invested or they should film it in a smaller venue like NXT where the crowd is fully invested in the guys.

How many of the 205 Live wrestlers/characters are you currently vested in?
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by improper » Tue Aug 7, 2018 8:05 am

Scott Hall wrote:How many of the 205 Live wrestlers/characters are you currently vested in?

Personally, I like: Cedric Alexander, Lio Rush, Akira Tozawa, Buddy Murphy, Drew Gulak, Jack Gallagher, and Hideo Itami.

Might be one or two I'm forgetting, but I really enjoy watching all those guys. Buddy Murphy has been a surprising hit since joining 205 Live, and Gulak has basically been great regardless of the terrible gimmicks they gave him prior to Trips taking control.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,749

Post#137 » by Stanford » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:24 am

http://rajah.com/node/63992

Scott "Colt Cabana" Colton has filed a $1.2 million lawsuit against Phil "CM Punk" Brooks regarding legal fees stemming from the defamation lawsuit that WWE physician Chris Amann filed against the two.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Cabana is claiming that Punk told him in a text message that the legal fees would be "100 percent covered." He then alleges that Punk later asked him to pay half of the $513,736 that Cabana accumulated as part of the Amann lawsuit before later telling him, "You are on your own."

For more information on Colt Cabana's lawsuit against CM Punk, visit SunTimes.com

Punk seems like a lovely person
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#138 » by improper » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 am

Stanford wrote:Punk seems like a lovely person

Good wrestler, and a great promo, but he's always struck me as a self-important d-bag.

I think he benefited a lot from being one of the few great workers on the roster during his run. I think the current roster has about thirty guys better than he ever was in the ring.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#139 » by daoneandonly » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 am

improper wrote:
Stanford wrote:Punk seems like a lovely person

Good wrestler, and a great promo, but he's always struck me as a self-important d-bag.

I think he benefited a lot from being one of the few great workers on the roster during his run. I think the current roster has about thirty guys better than he ever was in the ring.

Yeah the guy just seems like a petty, self righteous jerk, and him getting his in his 2 UFC bouts were almost poetic. Never liked the guy, never will.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#140 » by Spens1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Stanford wrote:http://rajah.com/node/63992

Scott "Colt Cabana" Colton has filed a $1.2 million lawsuit against Phil "CM Punk" Brooks regarding legal fees stemming from the defamation lawsuit that WWE physician Chris Amann filed against the two.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Cabana is claiming that Punk told him in a text message that the legal fees would be "100 percent covered." He then alleges that Punk later asked him to pay half of the $513,736 that Cabana accumulated as part of the Amann lawsuit before later telling him, "You are on your own."

For more information on Colt Cabana's lawsuit against CM Punk, visit SunTimes.com

Punk seems like a lovely person

think its common knowledge that Punk is a douche. I think Punk himself would admit as much.

Return to Pro Wrestling