ImageImageImageImageImage

RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, montestewart, nate33

payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,082
And1: 3,778
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#141 » by payitforward » Tue Aug 7, 2018 4:40 pm

payitforward wrote:Way to turn up the rhetorical intensity, doc -- I love that. Now transform it into the sestina I think you still owe me. (Do I misremember that? -- ...?

Why, yes, yes I do -- Doc delivered his sestina only a page or 2 ago.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 12,641
And1: 4,900
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#142 » by montestewart » Tue Aug 7, 2018 11:52 pm

payitforward wrote:
montestewart wrote:PIF is Ron Silliman!

No, but I'd love to know how you got there. Ron is one of my closest friends.

West coast (or was), writes code, and what I've read seems to come from a variety of literary and real life backgrounds, like you. Anyway, it wasn't a serious guess, I'm not trying to expose anonymity and don't want to chase you away. I like your writing and curating here just fine.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,082
And1: 3,778
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#143 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 8, 2018 1:12 am

montestewart wrote:
payitforward wrote:
montestewart wrote:PIF is Ron Silliman!

No, but I'd love to know how you got there. Ron is one of my closest friends.

West coast (or was), writes code, and what I've read seems to come from a variety of literary and real life backgrounds, like you. Anyway, it wasn't a serious guess, I'm not trying to expose anonymity and don't want to chase you away. I like your writing and curating here just fine.

Not to worry, Monte, I'm not going anywhere.

Ron & I met in late 1974 or early 1975. Within about a year we were close friends, running events etc. together & part of the same gang of poets. We never stopped being friends & continue to be in frequent contact both one on one & as part of a group of poets who are also in more or less continuous contact.

Neither Ron nor I write code, but we have in common that when it came time to get serious about earning a living we both wound up in the tech industry -- as did a fair number of our other close friends. Back then if you had IQ points & could write, the exploding PC industry in the Bay Area drew you in with gravitational force. In the end, Ron wound up working for IBM as an industry analyst; I wound up an entrepreneur.

Ron's a lot better known than I am, largely because of his blog (https://ronsilliman.blogspot.com/), which has had well over a million visits.

Btw, the current post at Ron's site is about the new volume of the "Essential Poems" of our mutual friend David Bromige. The book arrived in the mail a few days ago, & I hope to participate in the East coast events in memory of David & his work -- Ron mentions some of them.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,393
And1: 1,553
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#144 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 1, 2018 2:52 pm

montestewart wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:the logic from the left is so distraught
and the inconsistency just got caught.
So called lefties all Rothschild bought
Ask 'em a question they say "All Trump fault"
Please explain to us the love or the wisdom
or the birth of this particular logic prism
or the political perversion of justice and "vision"
defined by the weak lefty liberal schism?
Never saw the Duke John Wayne in Chisholm
Seems ju jitsu twisted in the schism
where the "let's get greedy" mental prison
so corrupt that it's missing a bit of wisdom.
Here's a hint, think outside the liberal box
if you want to undo the very paradox.
Start getting stright up dope from Fox
Gotta put down the bagels and lox
Crystal clear for one and all to see.
like it has been all along for for me.
So-called "facts" filled with hypocrisy
Anyone's truth runs wild and so free.
If we want to forstall America's fall
We never should have torn down bathroom stalls.
Instead we need to start building border walls
And nominating many more Kavanaughs.

fixed, monte mixed


Blue doggerel republicrats. Politics thread.
stilldropin20
RealGM
Posts: 11,343
And1: 1,231
Joined: Jul 31, 2002
 

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#145 » by stilldropin20 » Mon Oct 1, 2018 3:15 pm

^^^^official version follows. edited for metre.

We're now lost in the left's logic, and distraught
Inconsistent thought, the police just caught.
"fighters for freedom? all Rothschild bought!
Ask 'em a question they say "All Trump fault"
Please explain the love or the wisdom
Who's the birther of this particular prism
Which hunt perversion of justice and of "vision"
defined by a weak lefty liberal schism.
Thought you saw Sir Duke John Wayne in the Chisholm
Seems so scion, the twisted leftism
left us all in a mental prison.
so corrupt and it's missing a bit of wisdom.
Here's a hint, think outside your liberal box
if you want to unwind this lefty paradox.
Or Start droppin some dope straight from THE Fox
Gotta put down 20 bagels and the lox
Crystal clear for one and all to see.
like it has been all along for for me, SD.
So-called "facts" filled with hypocrisy
Anyone's truth, let it run so wild and so free.
forstall and foresee America's fall no longer the land of the free
We never should have torn down bathroom stalls.
Instead we build big red border walls
And nominating many more and more Brett Kavanaughs.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,129
And1: 5,280
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#146 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 1, 2018 5:10 pm

Now I see, it's all so clear
This is the gospel from the Ghost of Chenier.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
barelyawake
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,950
And1: 575
Joined: Aug 07, 2004

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#147 » by barelyawake » Wed Oct 3, 2018 7:06 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:^^^^official version follows. edited for metre.

We're now lost in the left's logic, and distraught
Inconsistent thought, the police just caught.
"fighters for freedom? all Rothschild bought!
Ask 'em a question they say "All Trump fault"
Please explain the love or the wisdom
Who's the birther of this particular prism
Which hunt perversion of justice and of "vision"
defined by a weak lefty liberal schism.
Thought you saw Sir Duke John Wayne in the Chisholm
Seems so scion, the twisted leftism
left us all in a mental prison.
so corrupt and it's missing a bit of wisdom.
Here's a hint, think outside your liberal box
if you want to unwind this lefty paradox.
Or Start droppin some dope straight from THE Fox
Gotta put down 20 bagels and the lox
Crystal clear for one and all to see.
like it has been all along for for me, SD.
So-called "facts" filled with hypocrisy
Anyone's truth, let it run so wild and so free.
forstall and foresee America's fall no longer the land of the free
We never should have torn down bathroom stalls.
Instead we build big red border walls
And nominating many more and more Brett Kavanaughs.


You know, as a sucker for masterful wordsmithing, I gotta tell ya, Still. Someday, someone is going to come here seeking out the author of this thing. And they’ll be holding a contract and a pen. And they’ll be out of breath because they ran here.

Someone here will post it on 4chan, and some Oklahoman grandmother will have read it and slipped a mimeographed copy into everyone’s order at Chick-fil-a (I’m not sure how these things happen, but roughly that). And it’ll reach someone of real import, like Stryper’s old manager or Newt Gingrich, and they are going to ask you to put this hit on wax, as a single. As a gospel, in any genre, god damnit. And they will play to your ego, and they’ll say you can dance with barely legal dental assistants in the video. And all of that is going to sound good. But, make sure you get those points on the backend as well is my advice.
stilldropin20
RealGM
Posts: 11,343
And1: 1,231
Joined: Jul 31, 2002
 

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#148 » by stilldropin20 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 1:19 am

barelyawake wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:^^^^official version follows. edited for metre.

We're now lost in the left's logic, and distraught
Inconsistent thought, the police just caught.
"fighters for freedom? all Rothschild bought!
Ask 'em a question they say "All Trump fault"
Please explain the love or the wisdom
Who's the birther of this particular prism
Which hunt perversion of justice and of "vision"
defined by a weak lefty liberal schism.
Thought you saw Sir Duke John Wayne in the Chisholm
Seems so scion, the twisted leftism
left us all in a mental prison.
so corrupt and it's missing a bit of wisdom.
Here's a hint, think outside your liberal box
if you want to unwind this lefty paradox.
Or Start droppin some dope straight from THE Fox
Gotta put down 20 bagels and the lox
Crystal clear for one and all to see.
like it has been all along for for me, SD.
So-called "facts" filled with hypocrisy
Anyone's truth, let it run so wild and so free.
forstall and foresee America's fall no longer the land of the free
We never should have torn down bathroom stalls.
Instead we build big red border walls
And nominating many more and more Brett Kavanaughs.


You know, as a sucker for masterful wordsmithing, I gotta tell ya, Still. Someday, someone is going to come here seeking out the author of this thing. And they’ll be holding a contract and a pen. And they’ll be out of breath because they ran here.

Someone here will post it on 4chan, and some Oklahoman grandmother will have read it and slipped a mimeographed copy into everyone’s order at Chick-fil-a (I’m not sure how these things happen, but roughly that). And it’ll reach someone of real import, like Stryper’s old manager or Newt Gingrich, and they are going to ask you to put this hit on wax, as a single. As a gospel, in any genre, god damnit. And they will play to your ego, and they’ll say you can dance with barely legal dental assistants in the video. And all of that is going to sound good. But, make sure you get those points on the backend as well is my advice.


thanks bro! that's half Monte though. I did it. He lit it. I rearranged it and spit it. 5 or 6 lines could be reworked to make a more cohesive message overall but the metre's tight and it rolls off the tongue nicely.

I'll mix it up later. \

but here's a fun challenge. i'd like to see Doc do a liberal rebuttal. His own remix. Then we'll can all go blow up em both up on social media and trick the public with a poll. our own publicity stunt! Doc? Let's do dis mahn! :o


P.S. dat punk punk biotch pretender PIF can jump in on this too but I aint lifting a finger on social media until Doc rebuts it and is happy with his piece.

PSS. this is the 2nd time monte has taken a literary cue and edited it VERY nicely. Monte has got some serious skillz!! :nod: :nod:
like i said, its a full rebuild.
stilldropin20
RealGM
Posts: 11,343
And1: 1,231
Joined: Jul 31, 2002
 

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#149 » by stilldropin20 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 4:03 pm

doclinkin wrote:
montestewart wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:the logic from the left is so distraught
and the inconsistency just got caught.
So called lefties all Rothschild bought
Ask 'em a question they say "All Trump fault"
Please explain to us the love or the wisdom
or the birth of this particular logic prism
or the political perversion of justice and "vision"
defined by the weak lefty liberal schism?
Never saw the Duke John Wayne in Chisholm
Seems ju jitsu twisted in the schism
where the "let's get greedy" mental prison
so corrupt that it's missing a bit of wisdom.
Here's a hint, think outside the liberal box
if you want to undo the very paradox.
Start getting stright up dope from Fox
Gotta put down the bagels and lox
Crystal clear for one and all to see.
like it has been all along for for me.
So-called "facts" filled with hypocrisy
Anyone's truth runs wild and so free.
If we want to forstall America's fall
We never should have torn down bathroom stalls.
Instead we need to start building border walls
And nominating many more Kavanaughs.

fixed, monte mixed


Blue doggerel republicrats. Politics thread.


Yo!!! ^^^^^ get on it!!!!! :D
like i said, its a full rebuild.
trast66
Senior
Posts: 715
And1: 375
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
   

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#150 » by trast66 » Fri Oct 5, 2018 3:08 am

Tremendous thread, excellent writing, glad this got bumped.

Howard can’t post up
Or set a screen like Gortat
But can kill a coach
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,082
And1: 3,778
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#151 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 5, 2018 2:41 pm

trast66 wrote:Tremendous thread, excellent writing, glad this got bumped.

Howard can’t post up
Or set a screen like Gortat
But can kill a coach

These few lines prove that the truth doesn't need to rhyme! :)
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,393
And1: 1,553
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#152 » by doclinkin » Tue Aug 6, 2019 6:39 pm

Davis Bertans Thread.


payitforward wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Oh good lord. PIF.... Come on man, more poetry, fewer words.
...


There's really no question of better
Data is just a dead letter

When we discuss Hachimura
We can be a tiny bit surer

Then ever we can
About Davis Bertan

S, who may not be better than Bonga
(Though being younger the kid may live longer)

Me, I've got a Jones
To keep Jemerrio Jones

In all he gets uptah
He seems a disrupter

But if I wonder when we'll know
Exactly how bad is Mo

That doesn't mean Wagner
Is the guy I'm most raggin' or

That I think exclusively of Admiral
As a shooter elusive who adds more whirl

To what is done by Thomas Bryant
The "10th-man" truly defiant

But whom have I missed -- Oh yeah Bradley
A guy whom I'll mention gladly

As to IT & Ish Smith
(a half pint & the end of a fifth)

I put'em with Mahinmi
Tho not intending to mean be

I don't think of those guys at all
Just keep my fingers crossed for John Wall

& were I to speak
About Tariq

My head would be bobbin' some
For I prefer Robinson

Per request I mention no stat
So what do you say? Lets leave it at that!
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,393
And1: 1,553
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: RealGM WizBoard Poetry, Lyrics, & similar Shenanigans Thread 

Post#153 » by doclinkin » Tue Aug 6, 2019 6:40 pm

And this

payitforward wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:It's really not a question of "better," I don't think -- simply the more data you have, the more information (& kinds of information) you can extract from it, & with more information you can develop more knowledge. This sequence -- data > information > knowledge -- is a standard construct in the technology industries (where I was 30 years an entrepreneur) for how benefits come out of adding tech. The next step after knowledge depends on what world you operate in -- it can be "wisdom," it can be "expertise," it can be called "intuition," etc.


...PIF is PIFFling again.

Tonight, when day is done & the darkness has descended, when no longer can we tell an olive tree from a Christmas tree or a Benz from a Benzadrine, then will you remember these words in all their order -- from data to information to knowledge to wisdom -- as you attempt to recall what good you did with the hours I prevailed upon the goddess to grant you, despite... well we won't get into that.

In that darkness, doc, in all your doubt, when the tacos of Tuesday trace no more in your mind than the dankness of doomsday, then will your mockery of my me-ness ripen among your rankest regrets as, like whatshisname (who was turned into a whatchamacallit just because a glance he got of the goddess whatshername as she bathed in the springs of truth) you will be turned into something I'm too old to remember, for after all, I was the one who told her where they were, those springs, & believe me I told her way before they'd sprung! Tho I have to admit, I wouldn't deny it, I did avert my eyes -- I don't wanna be no whatchamacallit.

Stag! That's it; he was turned into a stag -- stag only, no party! O Acteon, you didn't deserve your fate! You were hunting -- but then your own dogs tore you to shreds. It's all in Ovid, a great read. That's what I say, doc, what I always say: the darker it is everywhere (& it's dark in America right now, a deep deep darkness in America) the more light there is in Ovid.

The gods turned on Ovid too, as you know. Augustus banished him to Tomis on the black sea (near Constantia in modern-day Romania) where he wrote the two long collections of exile poems Tristia & Epistulae ex Ponto -- both great, amazingly great.

Almost 2000 years later, the equally great Russian poet, Osip Mandelshtam, another poet of exile, wrote a poem he called "Tristia" -- after Ovid:

Tristia

I have studied the Science of departures,
in night’s sorrows, when a woman’s hair falls down.
The oxen chew, there’s the waiting, pure,
in the last hours of vigil in the town,
and I reverence night’s ritual cock-crowing,
when reddened eyes lift sorrow’s load and choose
to stare at distance, and a woman’s crying
is mingled with the singing of the Muse.

Who knows, when the word ‘departure’ is spoken
what kind of separation is at hand,
or of what that cock-crow is a token,
when a fire on the Acropolis lights the ground,
and why at the dawning of a new life,
when the ox chews lazily in its stall,
the cock, the herald of the new life,
flaps his wings on the city wall?

I like the monotony of spinning,
the shuttle moves to and fro,
the spindle hums. Look, barefoot Delia’s running
to meet you, like swansdown on the road!
How threadbare the language of joy’s game,
how meagre the foundation of our life!
Everything was, and is repeated again:
it’s the flash of recognition brings delight.

So be it: on a dish of clean earthenware,
like a flattened squirrel’s pelt, a shape,
forms a small, transparent figure, where
a girl’s face bends to gaze at the wax’s fate.
Not for us to prophesy, Erebus, Brother of Night:
Wax is for women: Bronze is for men.
Our fate is only given in fight,A
to die by divination is given to them.


It doesn't get better. Only a translation but through the translation you see the art at its height, mind of the mind alone w/ itself & the rest.

Every thread leads everywhere; do not fear to follow. You already have & will again.

Return to Washington Wizards