ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#5361 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:53 am

Greg Bird is a stop-gap 1B. I mean, he’s hitting clean up at an atrocious .215 BA and every now and then, he’ll contribute but he’s NOT an upgrade over anyone else the Yankees have had at 1B other than defensively he’s a little taller and can play the line.

With something like EIGHTY more at bat, he has 1 home run more than Tyler Austin.

No, Tyler Austin is not the answer but he has a little fire that kicks the Yanks into gear against the Sawx. Bird is another pacifist clubhouse personality. Again, he’s ok but NOT a huge upgrade.

Bird should Not be batting any higher than 8th. Definitely NOT clean up with those numbers.

Again, that batting order is TOO easy for great rotations to get through. Think. A good pitcher has the confidence to say, “Well I can either pitch around Stanton or Judge and there’s Bird hitting .215 or streaky Didi...” vs if he allows 1 or 2 guys to get on he HAS to face the big bats because he dug himself a hole.

That’s how the Sawx attacked the Yanks pitching, they put all their HIGH OBP guys at the top. Yankee pitchers give up a single or a walk and suddenly they gotta face the #4 guy who LEADS the AL in RBIs. Can’t get around him with guys on base.

That’s how you make pitchers pay for mistakes.
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,080

Post#5362 » by nykfan42 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 12:10 pm

damedash09 wrote:Greg bird looks awful

IS awful
Make the Knicks great again!
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#5363 » by nykfan42 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 12:18 pm

I don't get having Judge or Stanton hitting 2nd in the lineup. I know it obviously gets them more at bats over the course of the season but isn't it better to have more at bats with runners on base?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5364 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Aug 9, 2018 1:14 pm

nykfan42 wrote:I don't get having Judge or Stanton hitting 2nd in the lineup. I know it obviously gets them more at bats over the course of the season but isn't it better to have more at bats with runners on base?

That’s what I’ve been saying. One can argue going Judge, Stanton, Sanchez when they are altogether.

But....

But....

With only Stanton being the sole power hitter, I would move Torres or Andjuar behind Hicks. So Stanton can knock some runs in and put pressure on the pitcher.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5365 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Aug 9, 2018 1:15 pm

Again, the 1B who had only ONE more homer than a guy who had 80 LESS at bats, hitting barely over .200 and you bat him Clean up?!?!?

Stupid.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#5366 » by Mecca » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:02 pm

Our true core in Judge, Stanton, Torres, Severino, Chapman and Sanchez. Bird is a complimentary piece.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Mecca
RealGM

Post#5367 » by Mecca » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:18 pm

I
Want
Wheeler

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Brooklyn Nets
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#5368 » by GEOLINK » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:19 pm

Mecca wrote:I
Want
Wheeler

Read on Twitter
?s=21

One problem: He's with the Mets.
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#5369 » by nykfan42 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:28 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
nykfan42 wrote:I don't get having Judge or Stanton hitting 2nd in the lineup. I know it obviously gets them more at bats over the course of the season but isn't it better to have more at bats with runners on base?

That’s what I’ve been saying. One can argue going Judge, Stanton, Sanchez when they are altogether.

But....

But....

With only Stanton being the sole power hitter, I would move Torres or Andjuar behind Hicks. So Stanton can knock some runs in and put pressure on the pitcher.

Sabremetrics and silly stats are making the game different. Some are useful but some are silly. Like getting extra at bats is great but I feel it's more impactful to have Stanton or Judge up with runners on base than simply getting more at bats. I believe we both agree right? I'd rather have this batting order.
1) Gardner
2) Didi
3) Judge
4) Stanton
5) Gleyber
6) Andjuar
7) Hicks
8) Bird
9) Romine

Some guys can move around every now and then but 3rd-5th I is what I'd want to stay.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5370 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:43 pm

nykfan42 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Sabremetrics and silly stats are making the game different. Some are useful but some are silly. Like getting extra at bats is great but I feel it's more impactful to have Stanton or Judge up with runners on base than simply getting more at bats. I believe we both agree right? I'd rather have this batting order.
1) Gardner
2) Didi
3) Judge
4) Stanton
5) Gleyber
6) Andjuar
7) Hicks
8) Bird
9) Romine

Some guys can move around every now and then but 3rd-5th I is what I'd want to stay.

Ugh. Sabermetrics...don't get me started. Y'know what irritates me about sabermetrics is the players that I've seen LIVE at the ball park, talk of a statician that they're terrible.

I really like your batting order, it's world's better to what Boone is running out there.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#5371 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:55 pm

how many times does the leadoff hitter hit #1 in a game? only one, maybe two times?

you get more rbi opportunities with 7-8-9-1-2 than 1-2-3.

this isn't even a debate, your best hitter bats #2 because that's where a lot of rbi chances come.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#5372 » by Mecca » Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:52 pm

nykfan42 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:

But....

But....

Sabremetrics and silly stats are making the game different. Some are useful but some are silly. Like getting extra at bats is great but I feel it's more impactful to have Stanton or Judge up with runners on base than simply getting more at bats. I believe we both agree right? I'd rather have this batting order.
1) Gardner
2) Didi
3) Judge
4) Stanton
5) Gleyber
6) Andjuar
7) Hicks
8) Bird
9) Romine

Any lineup with Hicks batting 7th is terrible I’m sorry. OBP and OPS matter more than .BA
Brooklyn Nets
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#5373 » by nykfan42 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:10 pm

blueNorange wrote:

how many times does the leadoff hitter hit #1 in a game? only one, maybe two times?

this isn't even a debate, your best hitter bats #2 because that's where a lot of rbi chances come.

So the bottom of the lineup gets on base more than the top of the lineup?
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#5374 » by nykfan42 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:11 pm

Mecca wrote:
nykfan42 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:

But....

But....

1) Gardner
2) Didi
3) Judge
4) Stanton
5) Gleyber
6) Andjuar
7) Hicks
8) Bird
9) Romine

Any lineup with Hicks batting 7th is terrible I’m sorry. OBP and OPS matter more than .BA

So where would you bat him? Don't say its terrible without suggesting something better.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5375 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:20 pm

nykfan42 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:

gets on base more? probably not, but yes MORE runners are on the pond for your #2 hitter.

it's hard to understand, it's always black or white with this. the reason why #2 hitter belongs to your best player is because for far too long teams had to suffer a runners on/bases loaded situation only to have a weak hitting, but gets on base player batting #2 because your 40 hr hitter had to bat 3rd?

stats has shown that #2 gets the most rbi opportunities out of any batting order.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5376 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:24 pm

this would be my yankee lineup when your team is healthy

hicks
judge
torres
stanton
didi
gary
bird
gardner
andujar

gardner/andujar/hicks/judge/torres/stanton will create runs.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5377 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:32 pm

for the nonbelievers of sabermetrics, maybe looking at the lineup in 3's help.

what combination of 3 players do you always want near each other, who compliments who?

lets dissect the lineup nykfan42 put put that deftnik thinks is amazing
1) Gardner
2) Didi
3) Judge
4) Stanton
5) Gleyber
6) Andjuar
7) Hicks
8) Bird
9) Romine

top of the lineup sucks. gardner/didi/judge. judge is the only player that's great.
stanton/torres/andujar. this is better but still, if the first 2 get on do you want andujar who won't take a ball up?
hicks/bird/romine. this is flat out garbage and pitchers will go right through them 1-2-3.

now here's the fun part, lets count the 3's in different order.

bird/romine/gardner = this is garbage
andujar/hicks/bird = this is garbage
torres/andujar/hicks = this isn't good
romine/gardner/didi = this isn't good.

you have a lineup that can murderers row and yet you choose to make it easy on pitchers, why? think like a pitcher, if you saw that lineup you wouldn't be sweating at all.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#5378 » by nykfan42 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:44 pm

blueNorange wrote:
nykfan42 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:how many times does the leadoff hitter hit #1 in a game? only one, maybe two times?

gets on base more? probably not, but yes MORE runners are on the pond for your #2 hitter.

it's hard to understand, it's always black or white with this. the reason why #2 hitter belongs to your best player is because for far too long teams had to suffer a runners on/bases loaded situation only to have a weak hitting, but gets on base player batting #2 because your 40 hr hitter had to bat 3rd?

stats has shown that #2 gets the most rbi opportunities out of any batting order.

Funny you say that because I was always under the impression that the #2 hitter just gets more at bats. I would never think that more guys are on base for the #2 hitter. Interesting.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5379 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:52 pm

The #2 hitter gets the most RBI opportunities? Really. Then why didn't Joe Torre put Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez #2 instead of Jeter for a good 10 years?!?!

The #2 slot is a contact hitter who knows how to advance the runner. This is assuming the lead off hitter has the highest OBP. THAT'S the job.

This is why Judge has a good OBP but his RBIs are ok. I think Nick Markakis has equal RBIs to Judge. Red Sawx JD Martinez has all around better numbers than Judge ESPECIALLY in RBIs and he does NOT hit #2 (hits clean up now that the Sawx added another bat).

Guys, this is baseball 101.
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#5380 » by nykfan42 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:54 pm

blueNorange wrote:for the nonbelievers of sabermetrics, maybe looking at the lineup in 3's help.

what combination of 3 players do you always want near each other, who compliments who?

lets dissect the lineup nykfan42 put put that deftnik thinks is amazing
1) Gardner
2) Didi
3) Judge
4) Stanton
5) Gleyber
6) Andjuar
7) Hicks
8) Bird
9) Romine

top of the lineup sucks. gardner/didi/judge. judge is the only player that's great.
stanton/torres/andujar. this is better but still, if the first 2 get on do you want andujar who won't take a ball up?
hicks/bird/romine. this is flat out garbage and pitchers will go right through them 1-2-3.

now here's the fun part, lets count the 3's in different order.

bird/romine/gardner = this is garbage
andujar/hicks/bird = this is garbage
torres/andujar/hicks = this isn't good
romine/gardner/didi = this isn't good.

you have a lineup that can murderers row and yet you choose to make it easy on pitchers, why? think like a pitcher, if you saw that lineup you wouldn't be sweating at all.

So what would your lineup be 1-9 based on your theory?

Return to New York Knicks