ImageImage

OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#541 » by Treebeard » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:47 am

Has anyone done the Spectrum "TV Choice" ala carte plan? Supposedly 10 channels of your choice via internet. If so, any good?

*edit* I called Spectrum: The list of possible channels in the ala carte is limited (does NOT include FS-WI). It prooved to be mostly a a bait and switch call, where they tried to sell me up on far more expensive packages, including the one I quit this spring. In the end, I took a hard pass on dealing with them for any TV package

I shouldn't be surprised, Spectrum has always been a shady outfit IMO.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#542 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:09 am

M-C-G wrote:Switched from Sling to Hulu and other than the user interface and navigation being wonky by comparison, much happier with it. Biggest issue with Sling was getting access to the local channels and major public networks which all my wife's show were on.

When we cut the cord last year, we bought a Leaf for the local channels to go with the Roku.

We had our first kid last fall too, so we just naturally stopped watching a lot of TV. I’ll watch sports, and my wife watches all the Bravo reality junk. Hard to say if it’s a chicken or the egg thing, but I’m down to under 10 hours of TV a week.

It will pick back up in the fall with football and hoops though.
JoePullizi
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#543 » by JoePullizi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:53 pm

SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#544 » by SirChurros » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Is cutting the cord really that cost effective if you were to go the route of like Hulu Live ($39.99)?

Spectrum charges like $90 for 100mbps internet by itself and U-Verse is around the same for uncapped fiber (or like $50 for 1TB of data)?

Right now I pay like $124/month for Spectrum cable and internet.
Cornbread
Senior
And1: 623

Post#545 » by Cornbread » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am

Krispy Kreme wrote:Is cutting the cord really that cost effective if you were to go the route of like Hulu Live ($39.99)?

Spectrum charges like $90 for 100mbps internet by itself and U-Verse is around the same for uncapped fiber (or like $50 for 1TB of data)?

It just depends on what’s available in your area. I can get 250 mbps for $49. Add YTTV for $35 and it’s still less than half what cable / internet was for me.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Re: RE: Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#546 » by SirChurros » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:00 am

Cornbread wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:Is cutting the cord really that cost effective if you were to go the route of like Hulu Live ($39.99)?

It just depends on what’s available in your area. I can get 250 mbps for $49. Add YTTV for $35 and it’s still less than half what cable / internet was for me.
Does anyone know how easy it is to go over 1TB with a decent amount of streaming and quite a bit of gaming? I mean U-Verse offers 300mbps here for $60, but it's capped at 1TB before they start charging.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#547 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:30 pm

Heads up to the cord cutters/non- Direct TV customers who want the Sunday ticket. If you have shown up as a 'non eligible address" for the online only service in the past you might want to try it today. I've tried the last couple years and it never lets my address do it but today it let me through and complete my order. Not sure if it was a glitch that just let me through or what but worth a shot. I also used a promo code PMT and got 15% off.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#548 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:50 pm

\

By the time you add the Cloud DVR service, which, was really subpar compared to Spectrum, cost savings was only about $10

I am stuck with Spectrum because of how much value the DVR carries. Until there's a comparable, I won't change.

I pay the exact same as you do.

I think the Sling DVR made me watch the commercials still when I tried it last summer.

If anyone has any good experiences with other DVR services, would love to hear it.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#549 » by Treebeard » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:15 pm

Can you get Fox Sports Wisconsin through Hulu? Turner Movie Classics too? Or is there some regional variation on channels offered?

I had Spectrum Cable and Internet, but I ditched the cable portion earlier in the year based on excessive cost vs value.
jwill535
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#550 » by jwill535 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:32 pm

TDS is coming through the area with Fiber. So i am intrigued by their tv and whole home DVR. I currently have DTV, at about $165 a month(6 TVs, include 3 on one wall). I am finally ready to drop DTV as Redzone was the only reason i kept it. I know the NFL Redzone is 1/3 as good as the DTV version, but i am willing to suffer through if i save a ton of money.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#551 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:47 pm

Non Directv Red Zone is awesome. It's really just a different host. Scott Hansen does a great job. I prefer him to Andrew Siciliano.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jwill535
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#552 » by jwill535 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:08 pm

Im just waiting for them to call and set it up and ill talk pricing with them. i will likely cave and stay with DTV but im getting free Sunday ticket for the 8th year in a row though.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#553 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:50 pm

Treebeard wrote:Has anyone done the Spectrum "TV Choice" ala carte plan? Supposedly 10 channels of your choice via internet. If so, any good?

*edit* I called Spectrum: The list of possible channels in the ala carte is limited (does NOT include FS-WI). It prooved to be mostly a a bait and switch call, where they tried to sell me up on far more expensive packages, including the one I quit this spring. In the end, I took a hard pass on dealing with them for any TV package

I shouldn't be surprised, Spectrum has always been a shady outfit IMO.

I fell for a similair bait and switch. I ended up with the 10 channels, for way more than I was told I would pay. Worst of all, there have been 3-5 times in the last month I sat down to watch tv (spectrum ap) and it was “unavailable” for their own tech reasons. Spectrum is an awful company.

Hulu is better, by far, and you get Bucks and Brewers and local channels.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,359

Post#554 » by MoreTrife » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:24 pm

So I have DirecTV Now (the through the internet DirecTV) and I'm fairly happy with it. $50 I think with HBO, FSWi and most major cable channels. DVR and on demand is decent too.

Problem came yesterday when I wanted to check out the Packer game...it appears it was blacked out. I suspect they will all be blacked out due to NFL not licensing games to streaming services.

Can anyone confirm that watching games won't work on any of the streaming services (Sling, Playstation Vue, Hulu, etc)?

If I have to go the antenna route, can someone suggest one that will work indoors, hidden out of view behind my TV? I am on the second floor.

Thanks@
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#555 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:28 pm

MoreTrife wrote:So I have DirecTV Now (the through the internet DirecTV) and I'm fairly happy with it. $50 I think with HBO, FSWi and most major cable channels. DVR and on demand is decent too.

Problem came yesterday when I wanted to check out the Packer game...it appears it was blacked out. I suspect they will all be blacked out due to NFL not licensing games to streaming services.

Can anyone confirm that watching games won't work on any of the streaming services (Sling, Playstation Vue, Hulu, etc)?

If I have to go the antenna route, can someone suggest one that will work indoors, hidden out of view behind my TV? I am on the second floor.

Thanks@

Where you do live? If you live in the Milwaukee area the Channel 4 broadcast of the Packer game shouldn't have been blacked out.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,359

Post#556 » by MoreTrife » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:22 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
MoreTrife wrote:So I have DirecTV Now (the through the internet DirecTV) and I'm fairly happy with it. $50 I think with HBO, FSWi and most major cable channels. DVR and on demand is decent too.

Thanks@

Where you do live? If you live in the Milwaukee area the Channel 4 broadcast of the Packer game shouldn't have been blacked out.

I live in Milwaukee. So week 2 preseason was NOT blacked out so we'll see.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#557 » by BuckHole » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:35 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Helpful Spectrum speed information

Mr. Sober,
Can you repost the item on Spectrum speed? I can't locate it. I appreciate it.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,977

Post#558 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:06 pm

BuckHole wrote:

Mr. Sober,

I called about upgrading my speed to 100 mb, turns out the minimum is 200 mb down now. This is super helpful since I cut the cord, got a VPN and started torrenting the hell out of everything in the last week.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#559 » by BuckHole » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:40 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
BuckHole wrote:

Mr. Sober,

I called about upgrading my speed to 100 mb, turns out the minimum is 200 mb down now. This is super helpful since I cut the cord, got a VPN and started torrenting the hell out of everything in the last week.

Thank you for bringing this up. After reading your post, I chatted with reps to verify what speed i'm paying for. It appears Spectrum upgraded to 200mbps. I ran speed tests showing under 100mbps. Rep stated I now have 200mbps. I reverified speed at under 100mbps. 3 reps troubleshot the modem and router; getting disconnected from them all of course so having to start over with a new rep each time. In the end, my router isn't able to handle the 200mbps speed and Spectrum is shipping me a new one that may arrive in a week or so.
This is what others should expect.
Thanks, Mr Sober.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
bcks fan
Senior
And1: 244

Post#560 » by bcks fan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm considering switching to Hulu Live (from DirecTV) and have two questions:

1) There are no blackouts of live sports on local channels since they are part of the package, correct? I verified my zip code (Germantown) and all the local over the air channels are in the package.

2) This might be a stuipd question, but I just don't know: Do you use your regular TV Remote for controlling a Live TV streaming service if your Smart TV has the app built in? For Xbox, I have the media remote, so would assume I would use that to navigate and the TV remote for volume?
2b) Do universal remotes work for streaming services? If so, any recommendations on good remotes to consider would be appreciated.

Thanks

Return to Milwaukee Bucks