ImageImageImageImageImage

Ot: Muller files compliant against manafort judge

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Ot: Muller files compliant against manafort judge 

Post#1 » by Jonathan starks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:12 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/09/mueller-team-files-complaint-against-manafort-trial-judge-over-latest-reprimand.amp.html

Anyone can indict a ham sandwich. Sounds like Muller isn’t too confident about winning. Oh and this case really nothing to do with Russian collusion, which isn’t even a crime to begin with.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Re: Ot: Muller files compliant against manafort judge 

Post#2 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:18 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/09/mueller-team-files-complaint-against-manafort-trial-judge-over-latest-reprimand.amp.html

Anyone can indict a ham sandwich. Sounds like Muller isn’t too confident about winning. Oh and this case really nothing to do with Russian collusion, which isn’t even a crime to begin with.

that's what you got from this? i read an article about judge ellis admittedly messing up and being heavyhanded.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by Jonathan starks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:24 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/09/mueller-team-files-complaint-against-manafort-trial-judge-over-latest-reprimand.amp.html

that's what you got from this? i read an article about judge ellis admittedly messing up and being heavyhanded.

The manafort trial has nothing to do with collusion. If manafort is guilty of something, and I don’t know if he is, why not turn it over to the DOJ? This has nothing to do with Muller’s supposed investigation.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#4 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:27 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

The manafort trial has nothing to do with collusion. If manafort is guilty of something, and I don’t know if he is, why not turn it over to the DOJ? This has nothing to do with Muller’s supposed investigation.

i have not been following the case closely enough to know all that. i'm just going from what i read here... it doesn't seem to address the point you're citing it to make.

but i may just lack context.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#5 » by DOT » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:33 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

i have not been following the case closely enough to know all that. i'm just going from what i read here... it doesn't seem to address the point you're citing it to make.

Manafort has 2 different trials

This first one is for financial crimes, which were uncovered during the Mueller investigation, and turned over to the appropriate prosecutors

His 2nd trial, which will happen at a later date, is about conspiracy against the US. So he's right, but wrong.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#6 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:35 pm

Do you want to post any text from the article? I refuse to support fox news. I also thought we had a requirement for “credible sites?” While the article might be right, fox is not credible.

Anyways, as Clyde has previously said (I think it was him?) - Mueller is going through this like he would attack a mob family, as he should. trump will come.

Also, re: collusion - https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/posteverything/wp/2018/08/01/trump-says-collusion-isnt-a-crime-hes-right-its-actually-many-crimes/

(trump and his cronies will be going to jail for a host of crimes, if / when convicted.)
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#7 » by BallSacBounce » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:37 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

He's saying if Mueller was confident of prevailing he wouldn't do what he did. This judge is known for this type of behavior. From what I've read he has been challenged a few times for this, all attempts unsuccessful. Fellow judges consider him as someone who wants to move cases along and accepts no BS. But even with his admonishments often rules in their favor so prosecutors have learned to grin and bear it.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by BallSacBounce » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:45 pm

Reality check: Trump will serve two terms. The Mueller SC won't lay a glove on him. And there will be no 2018 blue wave.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#9 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:48 pm

BallSacBounce wrote:Reality check: Trump will serve two terms. The Mueller SC won't lay a glove on him. And there will be no 2018 blue wave.

Lol, trump isn’t getting a second term unless the Russians pull another job. I’d say the odds he finishes his first term are lower than the odds are the minority decide to re-elect him.

As for what you say about the upcoming blue wave, I heavily disagree with you. But there’s no reason to debate either point as it’s just an opinion we are on opposing sides of.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by Jonathan starks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:48 pm

BallSacBounce wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:

He's saying if Mueller was confident of prevailing he wouldn't do what he did. This judge is known for this type of behavior. From what I've read he has been challenged a few times for this, all attempts unsuccessful. Fellow judges consider him as someone who wants to move cases along and accepts no BS. But even with his admonishments often rules in their favor so prosecutors have learned to grin and bear it.

It’s never good to criticize a sitting judge, in particular when the trial is underway
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#11 » by Sark » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:50 pm

Collusion with a foreign power is not a crime?

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by DOT » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:52 pm

Sark wrote:Collusion with a foreign power is not a crime?

I mean, they're technically right

"Collusion" isn't a crime. Conspiracy to commit treason is.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Jonathan starks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 9:55 pm

Cite the criminal statute
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,861

Post#14 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:01 pm

Much ado about nothing
ImageImageImage
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#15 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:04 pm

K-DOT wrote:

It’s way more than just that, too. That’s the best part.

See Washington Post article above, and every other article written when you search in google for collusion crime on google. Pathetic how this is what people try to fall back on.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by DOT » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:07 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

It’s way more than just that, too. That’s the best part.

See Washington Post article above, and every other article written when you search in google for collusion crime on google. Pathetic how this is what people try to fall back on.

It's that, and them whining about financial crimes not being in the scope of the investigation

Like, if you get a warrant to dig up someone's yard because they've been burying bags of coke back there, and you uncover dead bodies, you can't say they can't prosecute you for that cause that's not what they were looking for
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by BallSacBounce » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:10 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
BallSacBounce wrote:Reality check: Trump will serve two terms. The Mueller SC won't lay a glove on him. And there will be no 2018 blue wave.

Lol, trump isn’t getting a second term unless the Russians pull another job. I’d say the odds he finishes his first term are lower than the odds are the minority decide to re-elect him.

As for what you say about the upcoming blue wave, I heavily disagree with you. But there’s no reason to debate either point as it’s just an opinion we are on opposing sides of.

Hey, that's cool. I laugh just as hard at what you said. Thing is, only one of us can be right. I just wanted to get my opinion down for posterity. I've been enjoying immensely this past year and a half of what all the so-called experts called "impossible" and I'm looking forward to another 6 1/2.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#18 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:10 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

RUSSIA INVESTIGATION Published August 09, 2018
Mueller team files complaint against Manafort trial judge over latest reprimand
Alex Pappas By Alex Pappas, Peter Doocy | Fox News

Prosecutors in the federal court case against ex-Trump campaign Paul Manafort filed a motion in court on Thursday complaining that the judge in the case, U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III, inappropriately admonished them in front of the jury this week. (Getty)

After days of being dressed down by the judge overseeing the Paul Manafort case, federal prosecutors sought Thursday to put their foot down -- filing a motion complaining that Judge T.S. Ellis III had unfairly admonished them in front of the jury.

Ellis has memorably and repeatedly criticized Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team during the trial for the former Trump campaign chairman. On Wednesday, Ellis ripped into prosecutors for letting a witness, IRS Agent Michael Welsh, sit in the courtroom before his testimony.

But in a five-page motion filed Thursday, Mueller deputy Andrew Weissmann and other attorneys on the team claimed Ellis had actually granted permission earlier in the trial for the witness to remain in the room during proceedings.

“The court’s reprimand of government counsel suggested to the jury—incorrectly—that the government had acted improperly and in contravention of court rules,” the prosecutors wrote. “This prejudice should be cured.”

Ellis responded by expressing regret in court Thursday.

“This robe doesn’t make me anything other than human,” Ellis said.

Referencing his earlier reprimand, Ellis said Thursday: “Any criticism of counsel should be put aside.”

The truce between the judge and prosecutors, though, did not last long.

Hours later, when prosecutors tried to introduce an exhibit that was dozens of pages long, Ellis interjected: "There might be some kind soul on the jury who thinks they need to leaf through all this stuff -- and it isn't true."

The Mueller team relented and only entered 11 pages into evidence.

Ellis has a reputation for making colorful comments – and being tough on the prosecution.

On Wednesday, Ellis explained that he would not ask the defense to reveal as much information as he has demanded from the prosecution because “it’s sort of like poker -- you don’t have to show your hand until you’re called.”

“Something like that, I’m not a poker player,” Ellis said.

Earlier this week, Ellis seemed to accuse Greg Andres, the prosecutor, of crying in his courtroom.

“I understand how frustrated you are. In fact, there’s tears in your eyes right now,” Ellis said Monday, according to a Bloomberg-obtained transcript.

When Andres denied Ellis’ claim, the judge said, “Well, they’re watery.”

And on Wednesday, Ellis chastised Andres again for how he speaks to him. At one point, Andres responded with a simple “yea.”

“Be careful about that, this is not an informal proceeding,” Ellis warned.

Manafort is accused of committing tax and bank fraud with millions made through political work in Ukraine. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Earlier this week, the prosecution’s star witness, Rick Gates – who struck a plea deal to cooperate with the government -- testified that he and Manafort committed bank and tax fraud together.

On Thursday, prosecutors attempted to prove Manafort committed bank fraud by calling witnesses to describe a rental property he owned.

One witness from AirBNB testified that one of Manafort's properties was available for rent on the site and someone paid more than $11,000 to stay there for 21 days.

But prosecutors say that property was listed on papers as a second home, and not as a rental property, something that would impact whether or not a bank would have agreed to loan him more than $5 million.

Prosecutors also brought up a mortgage processor from Citizens Bank to show that Manafort had many opportunities to say it was a rental property for tax purposes but didn't.

Fox News’ Jake Gibson and Kaitlyn Schallhorn contributed to this report.

this judge sounds like a massive dick :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by Jonathan starks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:12 pm

Trump won’t serve two terms. A moderate democrat will emerge and win, or Trump loses in the primaries and we’ll have another republican president. The latter would be my personal preference
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by BallSacBounce » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:13 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:

Cite the criminal statute

He will be unable to. There isn't one.

Return to New York Knicks