ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: fear of dementia

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Re: OT: fear of dementia 

Post#41 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 3:25 am

Yeah but tell me about him.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,588

Post#42 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 8, 2018 3:40 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:Yeah but tell me about him.

Time to get to work. :D

https://www.eckharttolle.com/
Free Palestine
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#43 » by NY2TheBay » Wed Aug 8, 2018 4:46 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:
Drinking and certain drugs (marijuana) would likely help.

Don’t go straight for hard liquor, start with beer or wine. I wouldn’t waste money on a doctor.

He is 17 years old, please dont play around by throwing out the liquor idea. That can cause more problems, have some perspective on where the young man is at.

OP- Please do yourself a HUGE favor and start exercising regularly and get outside in nature. These should be your first two steps. While youre out in nature your mind will begin to go quiet. Its very healing. Consider using CBD oils before pharmaceuticals. Remember that you have a ton of options in life and keep an abundance mindset. Read Eckhart Tolle, he is one of the most brilliant minds of our time that can give you many answers. Youll grow from this and become stronger, trust me.

Best advice in thread imo.

Tell me about eckhart tolle .

Always willing to help. Life is a continuous growth process. Mr. Eckhart Tolle is a man that I dont have enough words for. Ive seen his stuff transform lives and he had an incredible impact on mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Now

Read this book. Youtube him. Listen to anything and everything you can that involves Mr. Eckhart Tolle.

But, the power of nature is tremendous. Get amongst the green trees and water, once youre there you'll know youre in the right place. The mind will ease eventually.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#44 » by NYKAL » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:35 pm

sounds like anxiety. My sister suffered from it too. She got therapy and they gave her a prescription that actually relieves it. Sometimes it can be triggered by stress in every day life of subconscious issues. She would say that at night her thoughts would start spinning, unconsciously free associating which can take you to very loony places. It would keep her up all night.

The only answer like others have suggested is to tell your doctor. Too many people ignore the option for therapy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#45 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:41 am

Augusto61 wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
Augusto61 wrote:lately this fear has been growing in me, i've been constantly analizing myself, even unconsciously, and this is starting to bother me. i cant sleep well, sometimes my thoughts scare me. before i fall asleep my mind seems to go on total random mode, really nonsense thoughts. i wish you could help me with some self experience, im 17 years old.

Are you on any kind of prescription medication? Have you ever been "diagnosed" with anything?

not on any medication, but ive been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, i didnt want to take medication

I'm on Lexipro. It's worked very well for me. It takes a little time for it to work though.

Here ya go.

Edit: I just listened to this video for the first time and it is truly wonderful. If you hadn't made this thread, I might not have not noticed this video ... and then posted it here for you ... and then subsequently decide to watch it on my own. I hope you find it as beneficial and inspiring as I did.

Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,227

Post#46 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Aug 9, 2018 11:24 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:There are some great videos on YouTube for mindfulness like Alan Watts and Eckhart Tolle. Check them out. Try some yoga and meditation.

There are so many places for you to go these days not to get some help so you can be happy and enjoy the passage of time like I do when I make fun of shammgod's youth and good looks.

Shamgod is a dessicated husk of a man from all the years he's spent dehydrating himself in a pile of cocaine

Everyone needs a hobby. That's always been my excuse for that.
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#47 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 12:22 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Augusto61 wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
Are you on any kind of prescription medication? Have you ever been "diagnosed" with anything?

not on any medication, but ive been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, i didnt want to take medication

I'm on Lexipro. It's worked very well for me. It takes a little time for it to work though.

Here ya go.

Edit: I just listened to this video for the first time and it is truly wonderful. If you hadn't made this thread, I might not have not noticed this video ... and then posted it here for you ... and then subsequently decide to watch it on my own. I hope you find it as beneficial and inspiring as I did.

great video. Ive watched a few after.

Here is another i found interesting.

EL CABRITO
Starter
And1: 133

Post#48 » by EL CABRITO » Thu Aug 9, 2018 12:54 pm

Sounds like anxiety...being 17 seems like no picnic these days, I remember in the 90's is was a different type of wildness going on...but now there's the social media stuff and the current state of affairs here in the US. The future appears a bit bleak, the world has changed ...however everything changes, whether gradually or instantly. I have no advice only an observation.
If you have no critics you'll likely have no success.
amsterdamknicks
Sophomore
And1: 130

Post#49 » by amsterdamknicks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:09 pm

I got nothing against weed (alcohol is another issue) but I would be careful if you are experiencing anxiety and depressive thoughts.

In my experience, other people may disagree, weed strengthens your emotions, therefore if you are feeling down/anxious I would be cautious.

Best advice I've seen given is to hit the gym, and seek professional help.

Plz stay of the tranquillizers though, don't know the situation in US, but here in Holland we are very reluctant to medicate people with these kind of drugs, especially the young
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#50 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:41 pm

amsterdamknicks wrote:I got nothing against weed (alcohol is another issue) but I would be careful if you are experiencing anxiety and depressive thoughts.

In my experience, other people may disagree, weed strengthens your emotions, therefore if you are feeling down/anxious I would be cautious.

Plz stay of the tranquillizers though, don't know the situation in US, but here in Holland we are very reluctant to medicate people with these kind of drugs, especially the young

Finally, an Amsterdam Knicks fan. Can you help a Knicks' brother out? How easy/difficult is it for an American to immigrate there?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#51 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 4:47 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Augusto61 wrote:not on any medication, but ive been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, i didnt want to take medication

Here ya go.

great video. Ive watched a few after.

You had me at Mitch Hedberg. :lol:
Free Palestine
amsterdamknicks
Sophomore

Post#52 » by amsterdamknicks » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
amsterdamknicks wrote:I got nothing against weed (alcohol is another issue) but I would be careful if you are experiencing anxiety and depressive thoughts.

Finally, an Amsterdam Knicks fan. Can you help a Knicks' brother out? How easy/difficult is it for an American to immigrate there?

Sure, would love too!

I think it's fairly easy being a U.S. citizen.

Do you have serious plans?

Found this info (http://verblijfblog.nl/?p=1611) in Dutch. As I understand it if you are an entrepreneur with a capital of 4500 euro's you can apply for a longterm stay.

In 2014 160 people applied through this process and 140 received a permit.

If you come over give me a call ;)
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

OT: fear of dementia 

Post#53 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:37 pm

amsterdamknicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Sure, would love too!

Found this info (http://verblijfblog.nl/?p=1611) in Dutch. As I understand it if you are an entrepreneur with a capital of 4500 euro's you can apply for a longterm stay.

You are awesome! I certainly will. I hope to make a visit next spring. Amsterdam is such a cool place.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Free Palestine
amsterdamknicks
Sophomore

Post#54 » by amsterdamknicks » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
amsterdamknicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Sure, would love too!

You are awesome! I certainly will. I hope to make a visit next spring. Amsterdam is such a cool place.

C U then!!

Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,201

Post#55 » by Kampuchea » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:great video. Ive watched a few after.

Glad to find support for what I have been saying. Smoke weed and meditation are viable options.

Good luck OP
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,923

Post#56 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Augusto61 wrote:lately this fear has been growing in me, i've been constantly analizing myself, even unconsciously, and this is starting to bother me. i cant sleep well, sometimes my thoughts scare me. before i fall asleep my mind seems to go on total random mode, really nonsense thoughts. i wish you could help me with some self experience, im 17 years old.

but seriously, dementia is probably not your problem today. but you should do everything you can to take care of your mental health. see a psychiatrist and get an assessment. there is a lot you can do in the now to protect your future mental health.

with all that said, genes can play a part in what kinds of illnesses you get down the road. but you can do your best to stay healthy today and not help whatever genetic predispositions you may have.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#57 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Kampuchea wrote:

Glad to find support for what I have been saying. Smoke weed and meditation are viable options.

Good luck OP

The video kind of says the opposite about smoking. Says it can be ok in doses, but too much can be bad for the mind. I 100% agree with this seeing as ive been smoking bud for 16 years now.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#58 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 pm

same here. i don't smoke, but i'm very pro-weed. that said, it can induce psychosis and exacerbate mental illness. you really have to be careful.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#59 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

Good luck OP

The video kind of says the opposite about smoking. Says it can be ok in doses, but too much can be bad for the mind. I 100% agree with this seeing as ive been smoking bud for 16 years now.

it absolultely can be bad for the mind. in addition to memory loss and brain cell loss, there are psychoactive effects. it's not common or easy, but i know some people who have indeed smoked themselves silly and there's no coming back.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,201

Post#60 » by Kampuchea » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Yeah, it can be good in doses. Like the guy said it depends on the person, if you have an “active mind” it can be a good tool for you to help you reach that meditation.

Like anything moderation is important.

Return to New York Knicks