ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Knicks Offseason Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,663

Re: Official Knicks Offseason Thread 

Post#1821 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:48 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not worth it, imo.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1822 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:34 am

Free Palestine
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#1823 » by Juggynaut » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am

Look at the bright side, we aren't trading any assets to get rid of Noah. 6.4 million over 3 years isn't the worst situation.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#1824 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 am

Stretch Noah

Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#1825 » by Juco24 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am

Good find. Thanks. Lance is a pick up game artist. Like Frank and Kanter chemistry here. This is EXACTLY what Frank needs
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,923

Post#1826 » by F N 11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not worth it, imo.

So you rather have 19 mil on the books for the next 2 years and not have extra cap next year just because of 6 million on the cap for 1 year? I don’t get why people don’t want to do this.

Either you want to

1) don’t trade him
2) trade him for contracts that go past 2019

In both cases you don’t want a big fish to go along with KP and the young guys. What do you want ?

Keep in mind we can’t even trade Lee and people think we can trade Noah lol.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1827 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 pm

K P 6 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not worth it, imo.

So you rather have 19 mil on the books for the next 2 years and not have extra cap next year just because of 6 million on the cap for 1 year? I don’t get why people don’t want to do this.

Either you want to

1) don’t trade him

In both cases you don’t want a big fish to go along with KP and the young guys. What do you want ?

We’re still rebuilding. We’re not ready to make out move. Damn, show some patience. Sometimes a slow hand is needed. And I’m not trading off any assets to get these guys either. Our move is in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Free Palestine
F N 11
RealGM

Post#1828 » by F N 11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:47 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Not worth it, imo.

Either you want to

1) don’t trade him

We’re still rebuilding. We’re not ready to make out move. Damn, show some patience. Sometimes a slow hand is needed. And I’m not trading off any assets to get these guys either. Our move is in 2021.

In 2021 that stretched Noah contract wont be on the books. NOw if they mean its 3 years after his contract is up then its a terrible move. BUt 3 years from now is not bad.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#1829 » by GEOLINK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Not worth it, imo.

Either you want to

1) don’t trade him

This is clearly being done with all intents to sign Kyrie next off-season. Maybe Butler as well.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#1830 » by F N 11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
K P 6 wrote:So you rather have 19 mil on the books for the next 2 years and not have extra cap next year just because of 6 million on the cap for 1 year? I don’t get why people don’t want to do this.

Either you want to

1) don’t trade him

This is clearly being done with all intents to sign Kyrie next off-season. Maybe Butler as well.

I just noticed the stretched money goes for 4 years. The papers were making it seem like 3 more years including this one. I see why people hate it. We have to be completely sure someone is coming to do this.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#1831 » by GEOLINK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm

K P 6 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I just noticed the stretched money goes for 4 years. The papers were making it seem like 3 more years including this one. I see why people hate it. We have to be completely sure someone is coming to do this.

I think we have a good chance with our new front office and Fizdale on board, of course.

But if they don't get anybody I think it's still the move to make. Just to get Noah away from this team and not have his bad attitude around the young players. It's one of the most horrible contracts next to Curry/Jerome James.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#1832 » by F N 11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:06 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:This is clearly being done with all intents to sign Kyrie next off-season. Maybe Butler as well.

I think we have a good chance with our new front office and Fizdale on board, of course.

But if they don't get anybody I think it's still the move to make. Just to get Noah away from this team and not have his bad attitude around the young players. It's one of the most horrible contracts next to Curry/Jerome James.

Definitely the worst and youre right. The league is probably pushing for something you cant just exile a player.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#1833 » by F N 11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:15 pm

The Knicks not using the bi-annual exception shows more subtle financial sense

Another shrewd move from Scott Perry and Steve Mills to prep for 2019 free agency.

What I’m specifically getting at is that Pills has not used the bi-annual exception (BAE) to this point in the offseason, and with the roster almost at capacity after a mostly-tame first month of free agency, it seems like the Knicks will just sit on that exception and not use it this year.

Unlike the non-taxpayer mid-level exception (used to sign Mario Hezonja and Mitchell Robinson), the BAE does not expire, so to speak

The BAE allows a team to go over the salary cap (but not the luxury tax apron) to sign a player to a contract up to two years in length
This year, the exception is worth $3.382 million, and will be worth incrementally more or less depending on the salary cap any given year
Most importantly, a team cannot use the BAE two years in a row (the bi-annual part of the equation)

So what does this all mean? Well, basically, if Pills and the Knicks become big free agency players next year, the BAE would give them just a little bit of extra financial wiggle room after the big dominos fall. And make no mistake, they plan on being players in free agency next season.

So, by saving the BAE, the Knicks have given themselves the possibility of having two exceptions next offseason — the non-taxpayer mid-level exception (again, the roughly $8.5-million chunk of change that the team used to sign Hezonja and Robinson this summer, which is available annually to teams over the salary cap but under the luxury tax threshold), and the BAE, potentially giving the team another $12 million to use over the salary cap to sign supplementary players to put around Porzingis, Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox and [Max contract star(s) TBD].

We putting in work
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,963

Post#1834 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:46 pm

K P 6 wrote:The Knicks not using the bi-annual exception shows more subtle financial sense

Another shrewd move from Scott Perry and Steve Mills to prep for 2019 free agency.

What I’m specifically getting at is that Pills has not used the bi-annual exception (BAE) to this point in the offseason, and with the roster almost at capacity after a mostly-tame first month of free agency, it seems like the Knicks will just sit on that exception and not use it this year.

Unlike the non-taxpayer mid-level exception (used to sign Mario Hezonja and Mitchell Robinson), the BAE does not expire, so to speak

The BAE allows a team to go over the salary cap (but not the luxury tax apron) to sign a player to a contract up to two years in length
This year, the exception is worth $3.382 million, and will be worth incrementally more or less depending on the salary cap any given year
Most importantly, a team cannot use the BAE two years in a row (the bi-annual part of the equation)

So what does this all mean? Well, basically, if Pills and the Knicks become big free agency players next year, the BAE would give them just a little bit of extra financial wiggle room after the big dominos fall. And make no mistake, they plan on being players in free agency next season.

So, by saving the BAE, the Knicks have given themselves the possibility of having two exceptions next offseason — the non-taxpayer mid-level exception (again, the roughly $8.5-million chunk of change that the team used to sign Hezonja and Robinson this summer, which is available annually to teams over the salary cap but under the luxury tax threshold), and the BAE, potentially giving the team another $12 million to use over the salary cap to sign supplementary players to put around Porzingis, Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox and [Max contract star(s) TBD].

We putting in work

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2018/8/9/17640052/the-knicks-not-using-the-bi-annual-exception-shows-more-subtle-financial-sense

beat me to it. but i agree. this is wise maneuvering. for me the $6.5m hit is worth being in position to assemble KP and co. a proper army next season.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1835 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:48 pm

K P 6 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

it's not 4 years. it's the final year (next year) being stretched over 3 seasons instead of 1. you don't count this season's pay. that happens no matter what.

and if they wanted to stretch him before 9/1 (which would be crazy) then they'd be doing the two-year remaining balance over 5 seasons.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1836 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2018/08/09/the-pros-and-cons-of-parting-ways-with-joakim-noah/#7ed01bdd628f

Furthermore, Noah’s expiring contract might actually have some value in 2019-20. History has shown that large expiring pacts can be useful pieces in facilitating complex trades. Again, the Knicks could potentially benefit from being patient.

Thus, it’s difficult, from the outside looking in, to understand the Knicks rationale for hurrying to cut ties with Noah. What would be the harm in giving him one last chance to prove himself in New York, with a new coaching staff willing to provide him with an opportunity to earn a fresh start? Remember, Noah, a native New Yorker who grew up a few blocks from Madison Square Garden, called playing for the Knicks a dream come true when he initially signed his contract. "I was a diehard Knicks fan growing up. To be able to wear this jersey means the world to me. I really want to make this city proud,” Noah told ESPN radio on the day he was introduced as a Knick. “I’m hungry to get it poppin’ in the Garden… I’m ready to be an animal for this city.”

this is the part that disappoints me as to how untenable his presence must be. i'd have thought even if he could just ride the bench all season we'd have more options keeping him around than waiving or stretching.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#1837 » by F N 11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2018/08/09/the-pros-and-cons-of-parting-ways-with-joakim-noah/#7ed01bdd628f

Furthermore, Noah’s expiring contract might actually have some value in 2019-20. History has shown that large expiring pacts can be useful pieces in facilitating complex trades. Again, the Knicks could potentially benefit from being patient.

Thus, it’s difficult, from the outside looking in, to understand the Knicks rationale for hurrying to cut ties with Noah. What would be the harm in giving him one last chance to prove himself in New York, with a new coaching staff willing to provide him with an opportunity to earn a fresh start? Remember, Noah, a native New Yorker who grew up a few blocks from Madison Square Garden, called playing for the Knicks a dream come true when he initially signed his contract. "I was a diehard Knicks fan growing up. To be able to wear this jersey means the world to me. I really want to make this city proud,” Noah told ESPN radio on the day he was introduced as a Knick. “I’m hungry to get it poppin’ in the Garden… I’m ready to be an animal for this city.”

this is the part that disappoints me as to how untenable his presence must be. i'd have thought even if he could just ride the bench all season we'd have more options keeping him around than waiving or stretching.

Article makes no sense we aiming for 2019 free agency. No one is doing us any favors even if we kept him until then. We will have to add a 1st and thats a dubb.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1838 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:02 pm

K P 6 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2018/08/09/the-pros-and-cons-of-parting-ways-with-joakim-noah/#7ed01bdd628f

Article makes no sense we aiming for 2019 free agency. No one is doing us any favors even if we kept him until then. We will have to add a 1st and thats a dubb.

i think the point is that they can wait to stretch him until they KNOW they need to. they could get all the way to next offseason and get a feel for who wants to do what, then stretch noah.

or... trade his expiring.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1839 » by HEZI » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
K P 6 wrote:The Knicks not using the bi-annual exception shows more subtle financial sense

We putting in work

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2018/8/9/17640052/the-knicks-not-using-the-bi-annual-exception-shows-more-subtle-financial-sense

beat me to it. but i agree. this is wise maneuvering. for me the $6.5m hit is worth being in position to assemble KP and co. a proper army next season.

This is good to know because I sure was thinking about our chances at resigning the guys on 1 year deals if they played really well and looked like they deserved to be back with the team, guys like Kanter, Burke, Hezonja and even Vonleh. So it looks like we should be able to add a max cat , resign KP and still have enough money to bring back at least a couple of those guys if things work out.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
F N 11
RealGM

Post#1840 » by F N 11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
K P 6 wrote:

i think the point is that they can wait to stretch him until they KNOW they need to. they could get all the way to next offseason and get a feel for who wants to do what, then stretch noah.

or... trade his expiring.

Theres no room for him here to play tbh. Cant have him just sitting another year I guess. Even if we wait until next year its still stretching the same amount.

Return to New York Knicks