Arturs Zagars

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Arturs Zagars 

Post#1 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:50 pm

I highly doubt Arturs Zagars enters the draft, but he's a really skilled PG (although he has a bad frame) who should be getting some nice publicity after how well he played at the U18s. Quick first step, great shooter, smart PnR player, and finishes in the paint at a high level (LOVES his left hand, even though he's a righty). Good defender on top of that.

Here are a few twitter threads (click the link to see more videos) I made on him earlier today - same as the videos I was putting out, but in Twitter form - Synergy, clips, and quick hitting analysis.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 830

Re: Arturs Zagars 

Post#2 » by juanc » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:58 pm

He just reminds me of that kind of euro guards that are great in europe but don't have the frame to make it in the NBA(De Colo, Navaro, Spanoulis, Jaycee Caroll,...)
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#3 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:25 pm

juanc wrote:He just reminds me of that kind of euro guards that are great in europe but don't have the frame to make it in the NBA(De Colo, Navaro, Spanoulis, Jaycee Caroll,...)

Yeah, his frame definitely worries me a bit - my biggest concern, actually. I worry slightly less about the vertical athleticism because his touch around the rim with either hand is that good.

If he’s able to get to 185-190 without losing his quickness, that’d be huge for his NBA prospects in the coming seasons.

What I think he has on the other guys you listed is his quickness and shooting ability coupled with finishing ability with either hand. He’s different than the guys you listed, although I do understand where you’re coming from.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,243

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:23 am

juanc wrote:He just reminds me of that kind of euro guards that are great in europe but don't have the frame to make it in the NBA(De Colo, Navaro, Spanoulis, Jaycee Caroll,...)

I think De Colo and especially Navarro would have been pretty solid in the NBA, but they left the league too early. Navarro had a good rookie season, but the only reason he signed with Memphis was that he wanted to play with his best friend Pau, and they traded him couple months later. Navarro looks like a skinny guy who never worked out in his life, but dude was high IQ flopping and shooting master.

Zagars is one of those rare kids, who definitely looks age appropriate. Most of those kids in U18, U19 look older than me, Zagars looks like he just went through puberty :lol:
DFolks
Veteran
And1: 208

Post#5 » by DFolks » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:50 am

UcanUwill wrote:

I think De Colo and especially Navarro would have been pretty solid in the NBA, but they left the league too early. Navarro had a good rookie season, but the only reason he signed with Memphis was that he wanted to play with his best friend Pau, and they traded him couple months later. Navarro looks like a skinny guy who never worked out in his life, but dude was high IQ flopping and shooting master.

Zagars is one of those rare kids, who definitely looks age appropriate. Most of those kids in U18, U19 look older than me, Zagars looks like he just went through puberty :lol:

Navarro was good in his lone season? Naaaaaa bro he was terrible and completely out of the rotation by the all Star break.
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,699

Post#6 » by JohnWillow » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Zagars is gonna debut with Latvian NT team this year 100% in November WC qualification games.

Have not been this excited about Latvian prospect since... I don't know youngest Valters? When he was throwing alley oops to Lebron in summer league?

Don't get me wrong I was excited about Porzingis, I thought he will be a star, but this guy Zagars I have a feeling he is gonna be big time, just finished watching his interview, kid is great, has good family.

The guy who was interviewing him was Latvian basketball legend and he asked about NCAA would he love to play there, because he can get education there and be seen by the NBA scouts a lot more closer.
He said he thinks he is not able to play it there anymore because of the pro contract in Europe!

But I think the rules have changed right about Internationals in the NCAA, because the guy who won MVP at the U 18 had a pro contract and he is going to Gonzaga...

So with that answer from him I think it crossed his mind about trying to play in D1 and I don't know if I'm greedy or not, but because he is in his last HS year, I would love to see him in the NCAA next year that would be such a blast, but if not he is in good hands in Spain also.
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#7 » by UcanUwill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:20 pm

DFolks wrote:Navarro was good in his lone season? Naaaaaa bro he was terrible and completely out of the rotation by the all Star break.

Navarro? I dont remember the details, but he did played all 82 games and averaged 26 minutes per game, aren't you thinking of Jasikevicius?
Navarro wasn't shooting spectacularly, way below his capabilities, but his rookie year was better than a lot of rookies who ended up good in the league in the future.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#8 » by No-Man » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am

He is just slippery, I have concerns re:his frame, very slender and not much in terms of structure to fill out

I like Rokas slightly better, but Zagars' jumper is elite

Man if you could combine Kurucs and Zagars, that's the perfect PG prospect
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#9 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:09 am

juanc wrote:He just reminds me of that kind of euro guards that are great in europe but don't have the frame to make it in the NBA) De Colo, Navaro, Spanoulis, Jaycee Caroll,...)

What? De Colo and Spanoulis are huge guards by NBA standards.
juanc
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by juanc » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:50 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
juanc wrote:He just reminds me of that kind of euro guards that are great in europe but don't have the frame to make it in the NBA) De Colo, Navaro, Spanoulis, Jaycee Caroll,...)

They are not huge SG...
And the problem is not height, but their strenght.. If Those guys would have Belinelli's body, they would be starters in the league IMO(with their skillset)

Also the problem with De Colo and Navarro is/was that they were finesse players, who didn't like contact and that's a reason that they didn't made it in the NBA. Zagars is more used to contact, so that's a +
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by JohnWillow » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Zagars yesterday vs Michigan.

Read on Twitter
?s=19
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#12 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:39 pm

juanc wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

They are not huge SG...
And the problem is not height, but their strenght.. If Those guys would have Belinelli's body, they would be starters in the league IMO(with their skillset)

Also the problem with De Colo and Navarro is/was that they were finesse players, who didn't like contact and that's a reason that they didn't made it in the NBA. Zagars is more used to contact, so that's a +

Spanoulis is buff as hell, so I'm not sure what you mean...

When he came back to Panathinaikos, Obradovic made him lose 20 pounds even. So not sure how his body was any issue in NBA.
juanc
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by juanc » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
juanc wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

They are not huge SG...

Spanoulis is buff as hell, so I'm not sure what you mean...

When he came back to Panathinaikos, Obradovic made him lose 20 pounds even. So not sure how his body was any issue in NBA.

I was talking about De Colo and Navarro
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#14 » by GimmeDat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:03 pm

I kind of put checking this guy out on the backburner after seeing your post, Knickstape, because I thought 6'3 (w/ same wingspan) Euro PG and a meh frame didn't exactly scream exciting prospect to me, but after watching a few clips I get the appeal. Super quick and has some nice vision. Fun player.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:27 pm

I like Navarro comparison, and as stated, I dont see it as doom NBA sentence at all. If he turns as good as Navarro was, that would be amazing, Navarro was damn good player.
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by JohnWillow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Don't see him spending much time in Spanish 2nd League this season, today was watching the preseason game where he played for the team he is loaned out (which will play in Spanish 2nd league).

He looked amazing scoring 21 points in a win, still waiting for someone to get video highlights from game.
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by JohnWillow » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:33 am

Three days ago Zagars was playing for the team he was loaned out, now just yesterday he was getting big minutes for his ACB team Joventut in a preseason game, had 9 points and 5 assists against ACB club Murcia in 20 minutes.

He turned 18 years old in April.

Read on Twitter
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#18 » by ChaosHamster » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:41 am

Porzingis was raving about the guy: https://www.facebook.com/renars.zeltins/videos/1081027408724650/

Said he was following him from early age, he was on his camps when he was 13/14 years old.

Said that his skill for a 18 year old is stunning.

And even if he doesn't have the biggest frame yet, he knows how to use his body.

Was super hyped, said dudes is gonna become a player. :evil:
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#19 » by Grits n Gravy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:59 pm

JohnWillow wrote:Zagars yesterday vs Michigan.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

14 seconds - Yikes that's a lightning quick first step.
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by JohnWillow » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Today he played first big minutes game after injury, don't know what the injury was, but tonight in a Spanish 2nd league game he scored 13 points and dished 5 assists in 21 minutes.

4/10 FG, 2/6 3PFG and 3/4 FT.

Return to NBA Draft