ImageImageImageImage

Semi - OT Should Belichick have pulled an Ainge

Moderator: Parliament10

Trade Tom Brady and keep Jimmy Garoppolo

Yes - Get some picks and rebuild around the young talent.
42%
No - Brady deserves to retire a Patriot and we would have missed the Superbowl (maybe).
58%

Total votes: 12

theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Semi - OT Should Belichick have pulled an Ainge 

Post#1 » by theman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:53 pm

I know there is a Patriots board under the football section but no one has posted on it in like a year and I think the there is cross over interest and knowledgeable people here on the subject.

So I was wonder. What if Belichich did something like how Ainge traded Pierce and Garrnett and traded Brady for some draft picks?

It seems like blasphemy but it work for Danny, why not Bill?

Moved this on over the Patriots board in hopes of changing this. Left it linked on the C's Forum. sully
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Re: Semi - OT Should Belichick have pulled an Ainge 

Post#2 » by Tiny ball » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:01 pm

theman wrote:I know there is a Patriots board under the football section but no one has posted on it in like a year and I think the there is cross over interest and knowledgeable people here on the subject.

So I was wonder. What if Belichich did something like how Ainge traded Pierce and Garrnett and traded Brady for some draft picks?

Brady is too big a star for this type move.imho
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#3 » by Tiny ball » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:03 pm

I would have kept Jimmy some how If possible?
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#4 » by timpiker » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Good analogy. I sided with Bill and I sided with Danny although I can't explain why.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#5 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:26 pm

Didn't Bill want to deal Brady, but was then overruled by Kraft?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#6 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 pm

From a purely football perspective, the Patriots should have traded the 41 year-old Brady and kept Garoppolo, but Kraft probably made the right business decision.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#7 » by TheOGJabroni » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 pm

timpiker wrote:Good analogy. I sided with Bill and I sided with Danny although I can't explain why.

I'm not a Pats fan but from my understanding, Belichick would have been overruled when it came to dealing Brady. At the very least, it seems pretty evident he didn't want to trade away the future with Jimmy.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#8 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Yes. BB wanted to pull an Ainge, too. Kraft shouldve pulled a Wyc and let the sports people make the sports decisions.

1-2 years of elite TB12 does not exceed 8-12 years of elite JimmyG. Instead of pulling a Celtics like rebuild, we’re staring at Mavs/Lakers rebuild and it sucks.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#9 » by Homerclease » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Yes. BB wanted to pull an Ainge, too. Kraft shouldve pulled a Wyc and let the sports people make the sports decisions.

1-2 years of elite TB12 does not exceed 8-12 years of elite JimmyG. Instead of pulling a Celtics like rebuild, we’re staring at Mavs/Lakers rebuild and it sucks.

You’re assuming Jimmy G is the real deal though. That trade blows up in your face if Jimmy is just a flash in the pan
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#10 » by sam_I_am » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:26 pm

I think Garopalo is going to have a career more like Tony Romo - flashes of being very good but injury prone. I hope I’m wrong because I like Garapolo but I wouldn’t want to pay him 28 million this year based on his body of work. That said, Ainge would have asked for more than a second round pick for him.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#11 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Homerclease wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:Yes. BB wanted to pull an Ainge, too. Kraft shouldve pulled a Wyc and let the sports people make the sports decisions.

You’re assuming Jimmy G is the real deal though. That trade blows up in your face if Jimmy is just a flash in the pan

Im assuming that the greatest mind in football history is correct in his assessment of the player.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#12 » by truth18 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Jimmy isn't Steve Young.
YOU LOSE
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#13 » by Homerclease » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:02 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

Im assuming that the greatest mind in football history is correct in his assessment of the player.

And that’s why he was traded. Proven commodity in a win now league trumps a prospect given the patriots situation. Just have to hope Brady sticks around as long as possible
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#14 » by Taget » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:57 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
theman wrote:I know there is a Patriots board under the football section but no one has posted on it in like a year and I think the there is cross over interest and knowledgeable people here on the subject.

Brady is too big a star for this type move.imho

While I realize it's apples and oranges given the number of Super Bowls the Patriots have been to since then but Drew Bledsoe was a big star and tremendously popular in Boston. With the way the cap works in football they are more coldblooded than basketball management.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Post#15 » by theman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:34 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Didn't Bill want to deal Brady, but was then overruled by Kraft?

I think that is an assumption that has been made. I don't think there is any proof other than speculation.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#16 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:49 pm

I'd have done it in a second--as would have Bill.

It was drippy old Robert Kraft who nixed it.

I mean, it's no different than how Brady got the gig from Bledsoe -- and so would also have been poetic justice.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#17 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:51 pm

truth18 wrote:

Jimmy isn't Steve Young.

Belichick is reported to have said that he could win a SB with Jimmy--and I believe him.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#18 » by truth18 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:54 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
truth18 wrote:

Jimmy isn't Steve Young.

Belichick is reported to have said that he could win a SB with Jimmy--and I believe him.

Belichick is a god. Brisset looked incredible too. Other Jimmys are out there. He is not Steve Young and you only get rid of Tom for a Steve Young type.
YOU LOSE
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#19 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:02 pm

truth18 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
truth18 wrote:
Jimmy isn't Steve Young.

Belichick is a god. Brisset looked incredible too. Other Jimmys are out there. He is not Steve Young and you only get rid of Tom for a Steve Young type.

Really, we don't know that he won't be as good as SY, given his start, and TB is well on the backside of his career. For the long-term services of JG you do indeed put the old stud out to pasture. More than enough to suggest that BB really, really, really wanted to keep JG. Kraft was the problem.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#20 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:33 pm

You keep Brady until he really does start falling off. 4500 yards, 32 tds vs 8 int, 102 rating, and a super bowl appearance isn't something you trade for potential, and I really did like Jimmy G's potential. The real problem with the question though is what could the Patriots have landed for a 40 year old Tom Brady? I'm not sure they would have got the gold mine assumed as he is the oldest non-kicker in the NFL and if he landed somewhere he wasn't happy there really isn't anything stopping him from retiring, his legacy is more than safe. I'm sure the return would have been more than the 2nd round pick for Jimmy but I doubt it would have been enough to gamble on Jimmy considering the back lash the franchise could face if Jimmy didn't pan out.

Trading Tom Brady isn't similar to trading KG/PP/RA, it's more like the idea of trading Jordan while Chicago was still going to the finals with him.

Return to New England Patriots