Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: 2018 Dallas Cowboys Preseason Thread 

Post#81 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:35 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Does this mean that Chaz Green has a job now?

Seriously. Go **** yourself.

Fwiw, that offer is still on the table.

How come I never get offers like that? :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#82 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:39 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Who me!? No....I would never. :lol:

Now look at what you did?

I will admit, it was a poor choice.

After the news Cowboy nation got today concerning Frederick, we could all use a stiff drink. You should send poor Otis a good bottle of expensive wine. :thumbsup:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#83 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:42 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Does this mean that Chaz Green has a job now?

Seriously. Go **** yourself.

Sorry man lol. My response was more aimed at Joey...err, I mean...BJ. :wink:

Well, I'm now officially on vacation. :clap: :party: :burger: :guitar: :violin: :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#84 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:55 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Who me!? No....I would never. :lol:

Now look at what you did?

I will admit, it was a poor choice in hindsight.

In hindsight, it was a poor choice to become a Sea Chicken fan to begin with. :wink:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#85 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:48 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Now look at what you did?

I will admit, it was a poor choice in hindsight.

In hindsight, it was a poor choice to become a Sea Chicken fan to begin with. :wink:

Well...when you consider that I've gotten to experience a championship somewhat recently, I think it's been more than worth it.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#86 » by Jaqua92 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:11 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jeez...That sounds terrible. I don't know if it would have any impact on his ability to play long term, but hopefully he's able to play for many more years.

Based on what I read and what I’m learning, early diagnosis is critical. And it sounds as if that’s happened. But...

Read on Twitter

I’m not expecting him to play this season. Time for Joe Looney to make his name.
So, I am not a Cowboys fan, but I came to shed some light on GBS. Because I am currently recovering from it.

Currently I am at Spaulding rehab,.getting discharged monday. There were FOUR other GBS patients here, and I have recovered at (according to staff), an abnormally quick rate...and I was diagnosed June 19th.

I can tell you early diagnosis and treatment has absolutely NOTHING to do with severety, and length of the plateau. I was diagnosed 3 days after getting admitted, three days after neurosymptoms started presenting themselves.

On the third morning, my face had fallen into almost total paralysis, right hand was paralyzed, and I could.not swallow, or breath. So I was intubated and placed in an ICU on a ventilator, where I recieved my IVIG treatment (good antibodies to counter the bad antibodies). At this rate, i continued to progress, 2 days after diagnosis (very unlike Travis here) paralysis continued to spread. 2 days after my 5 day treatment, I finally reached my plateau of total paralysis. Head to toe. I plateaued for two days before getting a bit of movement back. Most people (like the 4 other GBS patients here) plateau for weeks. So I remained in ICU until July 9th, where I began rehab.

After getting weened off the vent, started talking and eating again, trach tube out, catheter out and feeding tube out, and amazing pt progress, I am ready to go home for in house physical and occupational therapy, then outpatient PT and OT. I am now walking with a cane. Muscle tightness and weakness everywhere. I lost 30 pounds. I am independent, but it will be a few more months before I can jog, run, exercise at full strength, and get full sensation back, as the nerves arent completely healed yet and the muscles, as the nerves heal, need to regain flexibility and chrystalize in normal movement.

The 4 other GBS patients here have had it much worse than I did. They have all been here longer.

So I can tell you, Travis Fredrickson seemingly has a very VERY mild case of this syndrome. He is very lucky. You dont get stronger 2 days after starting treatment. You just dont. I was sedated and intubated 2 days in. Most GBS patients arent even close to peaking in their symptoms in comparison to where he is at.

There is no information backed by research that reveals why the disease progresses the way it does. Early diagnosis will not prevent a severe case if it is severe. Early treatment will not stop paralysis..just slow down and kill the bad antibodies...but nerve damage is nerve damage.

How this syndrome works, is that we get sick, likely with a virus. As the body is fighting infection, for whatever reason, the antibodies attack the nervous system and nerves instead of the virus. In my case, I had bad nerve damage on the outside, myelin sheath and inside of the nerves which lead to my paralysis and inability to breath.

And I had a more minor case compared to my friends here. Your boy here seems to have a ridiculously minor case and if he is recovering this early, intubation wasnt necessary and he likely isnt gonna deal with the horrors and trauma of this disease like I did..if he did, he wouldnt be writing right now, and would already be intubated. He is gonna be alright.

Guillain-Barre has without a doubt changed my life these last few months. By far the biggest challenge of my life. Despite an eventual full recovery, I am gonna do everything I can to educate on this disease.

Dont take anything for granted, even standing.

Look at these pictures...this is what Guillain-Barre does.

The following pictures were taken

Mid April

Late June

And just yesterday
But I go home Monday :)ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#87 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:So, I am not a Cowboys fan, but I came to shed some light on GBS. Because I am currently recovering from it.

Currently I am at Spaulding rehab,.getting discharged monday. There were FOUR other GBS patients here, and I have recovered at (according to staff), an abnormally quick rate...and I was diagnosed June 19th.

I can tell you early diagnosis and treatment has absolutely NOTHING to do with severety, and length of the plateau. I was diagnosed 3 days after getting admitted, three days after neurosymptoms started presenting themselves.

On the third morning, my face had fallen into almost total paralysis, right hand was paralyzed, and I could.not swallow, or breath. So I was intubated and placed in an ICU on a ventilator, where I recieved my IVIG treatment (good antibodies to counter the bad antibodies). At this rate, i continued to progress, 2 days after diagnosis (very unlike Travis here) paralysis continued to spread. 2 days after my 5 day treatment, I finally reached my plateau of total paralysis. Head to toe. I plateaued for two days before getting a bit of movement back. Most people (like the 4 other GBS patients here) plateau for weeks. So I remained in ICU until July 9th, where I began rehab.

After getting weened off the vent, started talking and eating again, trach tube out, catheter out and feeding tube out, and amazing pt progress, I am ready to go home for in house physical and occupational therapy, then outpatient PT and OT. I am now walking with a cane. Muscle tightness and weakness everywhere. I lost 30 pounds. I am independent, but it will be a few more months before I can jog, run, exercise at full strength, and get full sensation back, as the nerves arent completely healed yet and the muscles, as the nerves heal, need to regain flexibility and chrystalize in normal movement.

The 4 other GBS patients here have had it much worse than I did. They have all been here longer.

So I can tell you, Travis Fredrickson seemingly has a very VERY mild case of this syndrome. He is very lucky. You dont get stronger 2 days after starting treatment. You just dont. I was sedated and intubated 2 days in. Most GBS patients arent even close to peaking in their symptoms in comparison to where he is at.

There is no information backed by research that reveals why the disease progresses the way it does. Early diagnosis will not prevent a severe case if it is severe. Early treatment will not stop paralysis..just slow down and kill the bad antibodies...but nerve damage is nerve damage.

How this syndrome works, is that we get sick, likely with a virus. As the body is fighting infection, for whatever reason, the antibodies attack the nervous system and nerves instead of the virus. In my case, I had bad nerve damage on the outside, myelin sheath and inside of the nerves which lead to my paralysis and inability to breath.

And I had a more minor case compared to my friends here. Your boy here seems to have a ridiculously minor case and if he is recovering this early, intubation wasnt necessary and he likely isnt gonna deal with the horrors and trauma of this disease like I did..if he did, he wouldnt be writing right now, and would already be intubated. He is gonna be alright.

Guillain-Barre has without a doubt changed my life these last few months. By far the biggest challenge of my life. Despite an eventual full recovery, I am gonna do everything I can to educate on this disease.

Mid April

Late June

And just yesterday

I cannot thank you enough for sharing this. Not from a “Cowboys fan” perspective but from a “human being” perspective. And congratulations on your progress and best wishes on your continued progress. I did a lot of reading the other night after seeing Mark Schlereth’s tweet trying to get a better understanding of GBS and came away understanding only that there were no real “benchmarks” that one could nail down with it. Just as with the different “levels” between you and Frederick as well as between you and the 4 you just spent part of your life with...

I encounter this often due to my wife being (as of August 23) a six year breast cancer survivor. The biggest thing we learned among all of the multitude of things we learned (and - are still learning) is that there are no clear benchmarks. She volunteers at a local breast cancer support group that has grown from a little 3-4 person fund raising team to a multi-county organization that last year paid for almost 600 mammograms on behalf of women who couldn’t have afforded them otherwise as well as helping those diagnosed with their ongoing battles. Each “journey” is different. My wife was diagnosed early (Stage 1 DCIS - mild at best) - Yet she still went through 13 SURGURIES and years of daily prednisone pills which caused more physical issues before she was declared “cancer-free”. And - she was lucky as we learned while watching other women (and men) fight their own battles. We’ve seen a lot of folks make it and some that didn’t and the one thing we’ve learned over and over is that no two stories are ever the same.

Once again - congratulations on your recovery to this point and here’s hoping for all the best going forward. For us sports fans, stuff like this puts things in perspective. It’s why I don’t get too worked up over he highs and lows of being a Cowboys fan (or a Stars fan or a Mavs fan or a Rangers fan or a USC fan...)

There are far more important things in this world.

Peace.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#88 » by Jaqua92 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:So, I am not a Cowboys fan, but I came to shed some light on GBS. Because I am currently recovering from it.

Mid April

Late June

And just yesterday

I cannot thank you enough for sharing this. Not from a “Cowboys fan” perspective but from a “human being” perspective. And congratulations on your progress and best wishes on your continued progress. I did a lot of reading the other night after seeing Mark Schlereth’s tweet trying to get a better understanding of GBS and came away understanding only that there were no real “benchmarks” that one could nail down with it. Just as with the different “levels” between you and Frederick as well as between you and the 4 you just spent part of your life with...

I encounter this often due to my wife being (as of August 23) a six year breast cancer survivor. The biggest thing we learned among all of the multitude of things we learned (and - are still learning) is that there are no clear benchmarks. She volunteers at a local breast cancer support group that has grown from a little 3-4 person fund raising team to a multi-county organization that last year paid for almost 600 mammograms on behalf of women who couldn’t have afforded them otherwise as well as helping those diagnosed with their ongoing battles. Each “journey” is different. My wife was diagnosed early (Stage 1 DCIS - mild at best) - Yet she still went through 13 SURGURIES and years of daily prednisone pills which caused more physical issues before she was declared “cancer-free”. And - she was lucky as we learned while watching other women (and men) fight their own battles. We’ve seen a lot of folks make it and some that didn’t and the one thing we’ve learned over and over is that no two stories are ever the same.

Once again - congratulations on your recovery to this point and here’s hoping for all the best going forward. For us sports fans, stuff like this puts things in perspective. It’s why I don’t get too worked up over he highs and lows of being a Cowboys fan (or a Stars fan or a Mavs fan or a Rangers fan or a USC fan...)

There are far more important things in this world.

Peace.
Congrats on your wife being a cancer survivor!

You are right, there are bigger things going on than sports. And there is nothing like a feel good story about recovery from something medical

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:30 pm

So back to football.

I guess. Although after struggling through some of “that” Lions/Bucs and Packers/Raiders stuff last night and knowing we have more than likely seen the last of Dak, Zeke, Zack and the starters until next month, you can probably count me out of more than the first half tomorrow night.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#90 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm very fortunate at the moment having my young Cardinals in an unbelievable hot streak at the moment.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#91 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:51 pm

On the Cowboy Nation side of things, I'm hoping and praying our defense really steps it up this year with all the question marks currently with our depleted O-line. I'm a bit nervous.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:52 am

Heading to the Austin area tomorrow. Last year we were down there and the preseason game against the Raiders was blacked out so my BIL & I streamed it. Good news is they are playing the Texans for the heavily desired Glass Boot and Austin loves them some Texans so I’m sure I’ll get to watch as much as I want. Which won’t be much.

September 1 - cutdown to the 53.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#93 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:41 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Heading to the Austin area tomorrow. Last year we were down there and the preseason game against the Raiders was blacked out so my BIL & I streamed it. Good news is they are playing the Texans for the heavily desired Glass Boot and Austin loves them some Texans so I’m sure I’ll get to watch as much as I want. Which won’t be much.

By the way. I see where Gil Brant is getting some type of Hall Of fame recognition. After that story and article you shared with me a couple years ago, not sure I could stomach it. I totally lost all respect for him after you shared that article with me.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:10 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Heading to the Austin area tomorrow. Last year we were down there and the preseason game against the Raiders was blacked out so my BIL & I streamed it. Good news is they are playing the Texans for the heavily desired Glass Boot and Austin loves them some Texans so I’m sure I’ll get to watch as much as I want. Which won’t be much.

By the way. I see where Gil Brant is getting some type of Hall Of fame recognition. After that story and article you shared with me a couple years ago, not sure I could stomach it. I totally lost all respect for him after you shared that article with me.

Yeah. I ain’t feeling him being in the contributors list. I’d much rather see Drew Pearson and/or Cliff Harris finally get their bust instead.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 pm

Watched what I hope to be the final snaps of Chaz Green in a Cowboys uniform last night. He did not disappoint me with his continued impression of a turnstile.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Sep 1, 2018 3:05 pm

To all those Cowboys fans that were going to raise hell when Dallas cut Rico Gathers.

Shut up.

Now.

Read on Twitter
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Sep 1, 2018 3:24 pm

In happier news...

Chaz Green cut.