ImageImage

Vince Carter to atlanta

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

enbiei
Ballboy
And1: 0

Vince Carter to Atlanta 

Post#21 » by enbiei » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:42 pm

Great acquisition, Vince Carter did a good job mentoring Harry Giles in Sacramento last year.

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Vince Carter to atlanta 

Post#22 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Aug 3, 2018 7:44 pm

No ring chaser, NBA is still in Vince Carter’s blood

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/ring-chaser-nba-still-vince-carter-blood/Ht6Vfr6EvkVFBQpvsiAiyH/
Carter spoke Thursday in advance of a coming broadcasting job – a second career that the veteran has started to pursue. He has already done work for ESPN and TNT. Carter began thinking about broadcasting – if and when his current career as a player ends – after taking part in the National Basketball Players Association’s Sportscaster U training program several years ago.

It’s part of the reason he chose the Hawks for his 21st NBA season. Carter will join Kevin Willis, Robert Parish and Kevin Garnett for the league record for seasons played. Atlanta is home to studios for TNT and NBA TV.

“The city itself has a lot to offer for what I want to do as a current player and as I move forward in my next career in the broadcasting world and some other interests I have that are off the court as well,” Carter said.

Carter has even sought out Hawks part-owner Grant Hill, a former player and current broadcaster, for broadcasting tips and advice.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Re: RE: Re: Vince Carter to atlanta 

Post#23 » by HMFFL » Fri Aug 3, 2018 8:33 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:No ring chaser, NBA is still in Vince Carter’s blood

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/ring-chaser-nba-still-vince-carter-blood/Ht6Vfr6EvkVFBQpvsiAiyH/
Carter spoke Thursday in advance of a coming broadcasting job – a second career that the veteran has started to purse. He has already done work for ESPN and TNT. Carter began thinking about broadcasting – if and when his current career as a player ends – after taking part in the National Basketball Players Association’s Sportscaster U training program several years ago.

It’s part of the reason he chose the Hawks for his 21st NBA season. Carter will join Kevin Willis, Robert Parish and Kevin Garnett for the league record for seasons played. Atlanta is home to studios for TNT and NBA TV.

“The city itself has a lot to offer for what I want to do as a current player and as I move forward in my next career in the broadcasting world and some other interests I have that are off the court as well,” Carter said.

Carter has even sought out Hawks part-owner Grant Hill, a former player and current broadcaster, for broadcasting tips and advice.
It's good to know that we'll see his face often even once he decided to retire. I have always been a supporter of Vince Carter. I hope he stays healthy and enjoys the upcoming season.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
anish23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,911

Post#24 » by anish23 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:25 am

Utah Jazz for Championship :)
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#25 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:10 am

anish23 wrote:

Ironically, Atlanta is ahead every time they flash the score in each highlight.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Re: Vince Carter to Atlanta 

Post#26 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:14 am

enbiei wrote:Great acquisition, Vince Carter did a good job mentoring Harry Giles in Sacramento last year.

I know Vince wants to go into broadcasting after retirement, but i hope both Vince and Korver look into becoming head coaches in the future. Seems like both of those guys have high level basketball IQs
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:44 pm

Read on Twitter

The Hawks have not given No. 15 to any player in the two seasons since Horford left.

“Vince is someone I look up to and I’m glad he’s wearing the number!” Horford told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#29 » by ATL Boy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:14 pm

I may still be salty but after the way he left I really don't care what Al has to say about anything going on within the franchise.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#30 » by HMFFL » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:03 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Hawks have not given No. 15 to any player in the two seasons since Horford left.

“Vince is someone I look up to and I’m glad he’s wearing the number!” Horford told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Great, so we're keeping the number from guys, unless you're a future hall of famer like Vince Cater.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#31 » by HMFFL » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:03 am

ATL Boy wrote:I may still be salty but after the way he left I really don't care what Al has to say about anything going on within the franchise.
I share the same opinion as you.

macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#32 » by macd-gm » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:54 pm

They retire numbers too easily now. I didn't really agree with retiring Dikembe's even though I think he certainly deserves a lot of credit and appreciation from Hawks fans. Horford or Joe may deserve it but i wish we had some real accomplishments to show for it.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:06 pm

macd-gm wrote:They retire numbers too easily now. I didn't really agree with retiring Dikembe's even though I think he certainly deserves a lot of credit and appreciation from Hawks fans. Horford or Joe may deserve it but i wish we had some real accomplishments to show for it.

:nod:

I'd k!ll just to have a handful of division banners to hang in the rafters from our decade long playoff streak.

I guess Horford, Korver, Millsap, JJ...<sigh> and Smoove could have their jerseys set aside to honor their contributions for pulling us out of the muck.

But not really to retire the number...just the jerseys and names.

NOTE: Horford should get special consideration as 1) he was around longer than any coach, GM or player during that stretch. 2) Was drafted by our team. 3) And actually was recognized in a Hawks jersey as an All Star and All NBA caliber player.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#34 » by macd-gm » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
macd-gm wrote:They retire numbers too easily now. I didn't really agree with retiring Dikembe's even though I think he certainly deserves a lot of credit and appreciation from Hawks fans. Horford or Joe may deserve it but i wish we had some real accomplishments to show for it.

:nod:

I'd k!ll just to have a handful of division banners to hang in the rafters from our decade long playoff streak.

I guess Horford, Korver, Millsap, JJ...<sigh> and Smoove could have their jerseys set aside to honor their contributions for pulling us out of the muck.

But not really to retire the number...just the jerseys and names.

NOTE: Horford should get special consideration as 1) he was around longer than any coach, GM or player during that stretch. 2) Was drafted by our team. 3) And actually was recognized in a Hawks jersey as an All Star and All NBA caliber player.

I agree. Horford was the best and maybe deserves the honor but I'm still not convinced. Almost every era of a team is going to have a few players who are really good. If we start retiring numbers because guys played really well for 5 years then we'll run out.
Plus anyone who actually goes into the hall for fame better go in as a hawk if we retire their number.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#35 » by MaceCase » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:08 pm

May be too much read into it, could just be that no one requested #15 in the only 2 seasons Al has been gone :dontknow:.

Joe's #2 was kicked off to a 2nd rounder, Josh's #5 to a 27 year old undrafted rookie, and even Sap's #4 was given to a camp invite without any fanfare. Maybe Al was just easier to find in C-Viv's rolodex or he thought that quote was somehow worthy enough to write a whole piece on.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#36 » by jayu70 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:30 pm

MaceCase wrote:May be too much read into it, could just be that no one requested #15 in the only 2 seasons Al has been gone :dontknow:.

Joe's #2 was kicked off to a 2nd rounder, Josh's #5 to a 27 year old undrafted rookie, and even Sap's #4 was given to a camp invite without any fanfare. Maybe Al was just easier to find in C-Viv's rolodex or he thought that quote was somehow worthy enough to write a whole piece on.

That was my first rhought.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#37 » by ATL Boy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:44 am

Joe deserves to have #2 retired. He did way more for this franchise than Mutombo.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:55 am

Dik deserves his number retired as much as Nique. He won 4 DPOY for the Hawks and he did it during Hakeem's, Rodman's, and David Robinson's prime.

#2s don't deserve their numbers retired and that is why both Horford and Joe shouldn't get their numbers retired.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#39 » by macd-gm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:

Dik deserves his number retired as much as Nique. He won 4 DPOY for the Hawks and he did it during Hakeem's, Rodman's, and David Robinson's prime.

#2s don't deserve their numbers retired and that is why both Horford and Joe shouldn't get their numbers retired.

Not sure I reconcile those 2 points. Deke wasn't even #2. He was #3 unless we are ranking solely on his defensive ability. Not sure how you are comparing him to Nique who was a scoring champion, all nba, 9 time all star, 1 of 7 players in NBA history to average at least 25 points per game for 10 consecutive seasons (Jerry West, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Shaquille O'Neal, Allen Iverson, and LeBron James). top 5 all time in numerous scoring categories. I don't have any issue with Deke. He has done a lot of Atlanta and the world but his career certainly doesn't compare to Niques. Certainly not his Hawks career.

I'll beat the drum for Dan Roundfield to get some recognition. If we're retiring Deke's we should consider Roundfield who played 6 season for Atlanta, averaged 16/10, 3 all star games 5 all defensive teams. I believe he lived in Atlanta most of his life and sacrificed his own life to save his wife.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:41 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks