ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

2019 NBA draft 

Post#1 » by threrf23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 pm

With all the enthusiasm surrounding the coming season, it's easy to forget that we may have a top 3 pick in next year's draft. We will also have the option of trading this pick come the deadline.

Who do y'all like? Who should we be keeping eyes on when the NCAA season boots up.

Browsing over scouting capsules and/or stats, here are my impression of nbadraft.net's projected top 15 guys - because, offseason.

RJ Barrett. On one hand, he seems highly comparable to CJ Miles - probably a better shooter/scorer but I'm not excited. One another hand, he is young for his class, and ranked #1 in his class by every major scouting outlet. That would typically make him a sure thing star. He's worth keeping a close eye on.

Sekou Doumbouya. Projected #2 pick. 6'9 215 and the youngest prospect in the draft if his age is accurate. Still, nbadraftroom.com raves about his frame and athleticism while noting that he is raw and inexperienced and still learning the game. His stats in LNB Pro B are reminiscent of Yabu & Damien Inglis. Hard pass for me.

Zion W. Huge, hasn't kept conditioning, plays a lot of bully ball. A better BBD perhaps? Still, hard pass for me. A lot of adjustment will be required once he is no longer a monster amongst boys.

Nassir Little. Sounds kinda like Jaylen?

Naz Reid. Big guy with a good frame, in the mold of a modern center. Old for his class, arguably an underachiever, questionable motor. Stereotypical LSU big man?

Daniel Gafford. Late blooming big man who has a low IQ. Would have made a decent backup Center years ago.

Reddish. Potentially elite wing who has had his motor and drive questioned. Old for his class, kinda fits the mold of a top prospect who won't make it due to maturity/attitude issues, but also fits the mold of a guy like Paul George. Possibly a better prospect than Barrett.

Bruno Fernando. Big man with good size, good motor, but he's raw. He was born in Angola and supposedly just turned 20. I'd be curious to read about his background before writing him off.

Romeo Langford. nbadraft.net's Khris Middleton comp sounds passable. Worth consideration outside of the top 5?

Rui Hachimura. Undersized PF who averaged about 9 rebounds per 40 in the Mountain West conference last year. Cool name, hard pass.

Nickeil Alexander-Walker. A potentially great 3&D guy who is too passive. Pass.

Jontay Porter. nbadraft.net's Brad Miller comp seems passable? Still, nothing special.

Charles Bassey. Now this guy is being slept on. Although he's just under 7', he's one of those African big men who started with soccer and didn't play basketball until he was like 12 years old. Except unlike the Fab Melo's of the world, this guy's got natural instincts and IQ and he moves smoothly. If his age is accurate he is one of the youngest players in his class; it isn't known whether his age is accurate but it is known that he was 6'1 5-6 years ago and is now 6'11. Floor is probably Serge Ibaka and his ceiling is possibly much higher.

Bol Bol. Potential to be a good old school center, maybe even a new school center, but it also sounds like he was maybe pushed into this life and lacks passion for the game. Won't contribute quickly enough to be worth top 5 consideration.

Killian Tillie. meh
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Re: 2019 NBA draft 

Post#2 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Porter may be a guy who could make a big leap forward with NBA conditioning. I think with the right conditioning, he has Al Horford potential. Probably not a guy you want as a traditional top-3 pick but I like him a lot.

The part for me that intrigues me with Zion is that he isn't just an empty gym dunker - he uses his athleticism functionally on the floor, which leads to a ton of blocks, steals, and 2nd-chance scoring opportunities. I too have concerns of him as a "man amongst boys" but he may just be a guy who fits outside the box due to long-tail abilities.

DeAndre Hunter is worth looking at. His system sucks offensively at UVA but he's a tremendous defender with elite wing measurables and his per-100 possession stats are super intriguing. He's as close to a Kawhi prospect as I've seen in a while.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,185

Post#3 » by brackdan70 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:39 pm

threrf23 wrote:With all the enthusiasm surrounding the coming season, it's easy to forget that we may have a top 3 pick in next year's draft. We will also have the option of trading this pick come the deadline.

Who do y'all like? Who should we be keeping eyes on when the NCAA season boots up.

Browsing over scouting capsules and/or stats, here are my impression of nbadraft.net's projected top 15 guys - because, offseason.

RJ Barrett. On one hand, he seems highly comparable to CJ Miles - probably a better shooter/scorer but I'm not excited. One another hand, he is young for his class, and ranked #1 in his class by every major scouting outlet. That would typically make him a sure thing star. He's worth keeping a close eye on.

Sekou Doumbouya. Projected #2 pick. 6'9 215 and the youngest prospect in the draft if his age is accurate. Still, nbadraftroom.com raves about his frame and athleticism while noting that he is raw and inexperienced and still learning the game. His stats in LNB Pro B are reminiscent of Yabu & Damien Inglis. Hard pass for me.

Zion W. Huge, hasn't kept conditioning, plays a lot of bully ball. A better BBD perhaps? Still, hard pass for me. A lot of adjustment will be required once he is no longer a monster amongst boys.

Nassir Little. Sounds kinda like Jaylen?

Naz Reid. Big guy with a good frame, in the mold of a modern center. Old for his class, arguably an underachiever, questionable motor. Stereotypical LSU big man?

Daniel Gafford. Late blooming big man who has a low IQ. Would have made a decent backup Center years ago.

Reddish. Potentially elite wing who has had his motor and drive questioned. Old for his class, kinda fits the mold of a top prospect who won't make it due to maturity/attitude issues, but also fits the mold of a guy like Paul George. Possibly a better prospect than Barrett.

Bruno Fernando. Big man with good size, good motor, but he's raw. He was born in Angola and supposedly just turned 20. I'd be curious to read about his background before writing him off.

Romeo Langford. nbadraft.net's Khris Middleton comp sounds passable. Worth consideration outside of the top 5?

Rui Hachimura. Undersized PF who averaged about 9 rebounds per 40 in the Mountain West conference last year. Cool name, hard pass.

Nickeil Alexander-Walker. A potentially great 3&D guy who is too passive. Pass.

Jontay Porter. nbadraft.net's Brad Miller comp seems passable? Still, nothing special.

Charles Bassey. Now this guy is being slept on. Although he's just under 7', he's one of those African big men who started with soccer and didn't play basketball until he was like 12 years old. Except unlike the Fab Melo's of the world, this guy's got natural instincts and IQ and he moves smoothly. If his age is accurate he is one of the youngest players in his class; it isn't known whether his age is accurate but it is known that he was 6'1 5-6 years ago and is now 6'11. Floor is probably Serge Ibaka and his ceiling is possibly much higher.

Bol Bol. Potential to be a good old school center, maybe even a new school center, but it also sounds like he was maybe pushed into this life and lacks passion for the game. Won't contribute quickly enough to be worth top 5 consideration.

Killian Tillie. meh

Zion is number 1 for me...believe the hype. If we end up with 2 or 3 I hope he drops. Barrett and Little are next in my book with Sekou as a bit of a wild card. He is not Yabusele lol. He is a pretty impressive athlete and I see weight listed as 230 many places. NBAdraftnet is updated very sporadically and always seems off to me.

If we are not top 5 I expect one of the Bigs will shine enough to be worth picking in that 6 to 8 Range. I like Jontay Porter actually. Bassey and Fernando could also be pretty good. Have to consider Langford and Reddish too. Reid, Gafford, Semi Sh ittu and Bol Bol seem like good options if around at the Memphis pick. Sh ittu is really intriguing. Have to see how he looks in college ball.
Sign here
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#4 » by threrf23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 pm

I'll give Zion that he's as unique a prospect as we've seen in awhile. I'm just inherently skeptical. Even if his game works out, is he durable? Do we know he's not a 25 year old dude who stole a kid's identity to enroll in HS? He comes off like a rich man's Big Baby Davis, which is a really good player but...still a big baby perhaps.

nbadraft.net does list Sekou at 230. I think it's nbadraftroom that lists him at 215. But that's part of what turns me off about him, a large part of his intrigue results from his build, which will no longer be so special once he's in the NBA. I just haven't read good things about his game.

I do like Porter, there's no reason he shouldn't succeed in the NBA. He's just not really on my radar if we are talking Kings pick.

Shittu is interesting. Just going by the nbadraft.net capsule, I like him more than a few of the bigs projected above him.

Deandre Hunter was a ~20 year old freshmen, and there's a thin line between a guy like Kawhi and a guy like Justin Anderson. Is he a better defender than Justin Anderson was?
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#5 » by Spin Move » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:16 pm

We don't need more wings, we need a big unless we make a move in the meantime with some of our wing depth...Maybe Zion is a 4...if you are at 2 or 3 and think there is a superstar their you have to take them regardless of position, but if we are drafting 5th position matters more. Here are the top 20 PF/C's according to draft room

Bol Bol - 7-2 - Oregon
Daniel Gafford - 6-11 - Arkansas
Charles Bassey - 6-10 - Western Kentucky
Bruno Fernando - 6-10 - Maryland
Moses Brown - 7-1 - UCLA
Nick Richards - 6-11 - Kentucky
Udoka Azubuike - 6-10 -Kansas
Christ Koumadje - 7-4 - Florida State
Ikey Obiagu - 7-1 - Florida State
Tacko Fall - 7-6 - UCF
Top Power Forward Prospects

Simisola Shittu - 6-11 - Canada
Jontay Porter - 6-11 - Missouri
Luka Samanic - 6-10 - Croatia
Sagaba Konate - 6-8 - West Virginia
Nazreon Reid - 6-10 - LSU
Jordan Brown - 6-11 - Nevada
E.J. Montgomery - 6-10 - Kentucky
Kenny Wooten - 6-9 - Oregon
Eric Paschall - 6-9 - Villanova
Silvio De Sosa - 6-9 - Kansas
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#6 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:20 pm

The real question is if we get 2 top 10 picks, can we get AD?
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#7 » by colaroaster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:32 am

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:The real question is if we get 2 top 10 picks, can we get AD?

google "derrick rose rule"

does danny save cap space and trade-out for future picks?
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#8 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:26 am

Spin Move wrote:We don't need more wings, we need a big unless we make a move in the meantime with some of our wing depth...Maybe Zion is a 4...if you are at 2 or 3 and think there is a superstar their you have to take them regardless of position, but if we are drafting 5th position matters more. Here are the top 20 PF/C's according to draft room

That's what sucks about having the pick this year as opposed to last year's draft. Jaren Jackson, Bamba, or Wendell Carter would have been god like for this core. The perfect fits. Except for maybe Bamba I guess, jury is out on how mobile he is and how he fits in today's NBA.

But that said, since Ainge decided to bid against himself in a throwback free agent handling like that of Mark Blount and dramatically overpay Marcus Smart...

I wouldn't worry about drafting another wing/guard with our Kings pick if we get it. Our financials of 13 million starter level pay for Smart suggest it's impossible for us to keep all 3 of Smart/Rozier/Irving by the end of next season without a tax hit that only organizations with really rich owners can handle (a Knicks, Mavs style tax). And one of them leaving the team will free up plenty of minutes for a young lottery pick to show if he's a bust or not in 2 seasons time.

Also if we get that MEM pick aside from the international or Zion it looks like at least one of the intriguing bigs will still be there in the middle of the first. So we can have our cake and eat it too.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,314

Post#9 » by Homerclease » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:41 am

colaroaster wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:The real question is if we get 2 top 10 picks, can we get AD?

Perhaps you should google the rule yourself. Kyrie is a free agent next year.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#10 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:47 am

I am a big time Reddish fan, his motor questions are scary but his upside is crazy high.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#11 » by 31to6 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:05 am

Zion or trade for AD. Care nothing for the rest.

Dreamed of Ayton. Longed for Wendell Carter. Bummer, in retrospect, that Bagley reclassified. Still, won't be mad if the Kings suck because a stolen high value asset is a stolen high value asset.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#12 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:28 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:We don't need more wings, we need a big unless we make a move in the meantime with some of our wing depth...Maybe Zion is a 4...if you are at 2 or 3 and think there is a superstar their you have to take them regardless of position, but if we are drafting 5th position matters more. Here are the top 20 PF/C's according to draft room

That's what sucks about having the pick this year as opposed to last year's draft. Jaren Jackson, Bamba, or Wendell Carter would have been god like for this core. The perfect fits. Except for maybe Bamba I guess, jury is out on how mobile he is and how he fits in today's NBA.

But that said, since Ainge decided to bid against himself in a throwback free agent handling like that of Mark Blount and dramatically overpay Marcus Smart...

I wouldn't worry about drafting another wing/guard with our Kings pick if we get it. Our financials of 13 million starter level pay for Smart suggest it's impossible for us to keep all 3 of Smart/Rozier/Irving by the end of next season without a tax hit that only organizations with really rich owners can handle (a Knicks, Mavs style tax). And one of them leaving the team will free up plenty of minutes for a young lottery pick to show if he's a bust or not in 2 seasons time.

Also if we get that MEM pick aside from the international or Zion it looks like at least one of the intriguing bigs will still be there in the middle of the first. So we can have our cake and eat it too.

Bamba Jackson and Carter were all off the board by the time any pick the Cs could have kept was used.
Sign here
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#13 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:33 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

Bamba Jackson and Carter were all off the board by the time any pick the Cs could have kept was used.

Hypotheticals aren't that simple, hell the 3rd pick was traded in that draft for not much more than the value of our MEM pick. Depends on who Ainge liked, blah blah blah.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#14 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:59 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

Hypotheticals aren't that simple, hell the 3rd pick was traded in that draft for not much more than the value of our MEM pick. Depends on who Ainge liked, blah blah blah.

What? 3 was traded for 5 and a lightly protected 2019 1st. A likely lotto pick.

Yes hypthotheticals.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#15 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:02 pm

It’s fairly annoying that I can’t say Shittu. What’s the deal with that?
Sign here
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,314

Post#16 » by Homerclease » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:

You’re trying to tie two separate issues together simply because you don’t like the Marcus Smart contract.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#17 » by jmr07019 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:32 pm

I like Zion a lot. I think he would be dynamite in our system against the switch everything NBA. When you gotta worry about Kyrie and Hayward and Tatum etc. Zion will be an after thought and get a lot of easy buckets against over matched defenders. If Zion goes to a lousy team without spacing and he's asked to save a franchise I'm not sure he will be able to but I have confidence he would contribute from day 1 on our team.
Show Love Spread Love
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#18 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Homerclease wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

You’re trying to tie two separate issues together simply because you don’t like the Marcus Smart contract.

I'm tying a simple answer to the 'problem' of drafting another guard/wing.

Smart is paid starters money, Rozier and Irving will be too. One way or another we won't have all 3 for long so there will be minutes available.

I'd love Smart on this team at the right price but he's not so someone will have to go, so we don't have to worry about having too many guards if we draft a potential stud one in the draft.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#19 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Spoiler:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

I'm tying a simple answer to the 'problem' of drafting another guard/wing.

Smart is paid starters money, Rozier and Irving will be too. One way or another we won't have all 3 for long so there will be minutes available.

I'd love Smart on this team at the right price but he's not so someone will have to go, so we don't have to worry about having too many guards if we draft a potential stud one in the draft.

Smarts contract is really not that bad. It is 6th man money for sure and starter money on a mediocre team but for a contending team not so bad. It is about 11 % of the cap and and less than 10% of lux tax level. That said your point about considering a wing as a draft pick makes sense assuming one of Rozier, Smart, Kyrie goes elsewhere. I would not be at all surprised though if we hang on to all three.
Sign here
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#20 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:30 pm

Homerclease wrote:
colaroaster wrote:

Perhaps you should google the rule yourself. Kyrie is a free agent next year.

Draft happens before free agency, so we can't trade for AD prior to the draft, only after when Kyrie officially opts out of contract. So we'd have to have a wink wink deal to draft who they want, then trade after the draft. Nothing can be fully agreed too.

Maybe you need to google NBA offseason timing.

It's for this reason the NBA has been talking about moving the draft back a few weeks instead.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets

Return to Boston Celtics