ImageImageImage

2018 Free Agency and Trade Discussion continued

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Re: 2018 Free Agency and Trade Discussion continued 

Post#2021 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 9, 2018 6:21 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:I was taking another look at Dinwiddie's stats. I didn't realize he had 6.6 APG and a better than 3-to-1 A/TO ratio. Didn't shoot very well and his DBPM is -1.8, but that ratio is legit.

I wonder if the Nets would consider something like Melton and Reed for Dinwiddie. Those two will be under contract for a while and have upside. Dinwiddie's going to want a significant raise next summer and the Nets should prefer to not only maximize cap space, but minimize wins this season.

I think the value is gonna be a little bit higher...something like Melton + Milwaukee pick for Dinwiddie.

Arthur + Mil pick for Cory Joseph can be a decent trade if we want Melton on the roster.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#2022 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 9, 2018 6:22 pm

Read on Twitter
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,016

Post#2023 » by sunsbg » Sun Sep 9, 2018 6:30 pm

Big NBA Fan wrote:Doncic would have been the safer pick than Ayton, and he would have filled a huge need.

Luka reminds me a bit of a mix of Ben Simmons/Steve Nash; he can shoot like Nash, is built physically like Simmons, and he has a really high basketball IQ like both of them.

But I hope Ayton does well because he seems like a great guy; but his questionable basketball IQ scares me a bit.

Yeah, right. Can't wait for this long offseason to finally end, so such exaggerations are not posted anymore.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,377

Post#2024 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 9, 2018 6:45 pm

Saberestar wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:I was taking another look at Dinwiddie's stats. I didn't realize he had 6.6 APG and a better than 3-to-1 A/TO ratio. Didn't shoot very well and his DBPM is -1.8, but that ratio is legit.

I wonder if the Nets would consider something like Melton and Reed for Dinwiddie. Those two will be under contract for a while and have upside. Dinwiddie's going to want a significant raise next summer and the Nets should prefer to not only maximize cap space, but minimize wins this season.

I think the value is gonna be a little bit higher...something like Melton + Milwaukee pick for Dinwiddie.

Arthur + Mil pick for Cory Joseph can be a decent trade if we want Melton on the roster.

Yeah, if you're looking at ast/to ratio and DBPM both, then Cory Joseph is 3-1 with a slightly positive DBPM last year. DBPM doesn't really totally measure how good you are at defense.

One thing about Cory Joseph....every team he's played on has been a really good team. In San Antonio from 2011-2015, then 2 years in Toronto then he goes to Indy and they have a breakout season. I'm not saying he's really the reason, but he's been around a lot of coaches, teams and players that know how to win. I'm not entirely sure how much of an upgrade he is though or what I'd trade for him. I haven't watched him a lot.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#2025 » by Damkac » Sun Sep 9, 2018 6:59 pm

I think I would just keep the PGs that we have and let them compete for the starting and reserve spots. And in the offseason try to sign Rubio or Kemba. I really don't want to trade any of Warren/Jackson/Bridges.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#2026 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Sep 9, 2018 7:09 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Big NBA Fan wrote:Doncic would have been the safer pick than Ayton, and he would have filled a huge need.

Luka reminds me a bit of a mix of Ben Simmons/Steve Nash; he can shoot like Nash, is built physically like Simmons, and he has a really high basketball IQ like both of them.

But I hope Ayton does well because he seems like a great guy; but his questionable basketball IQ scares me a bit.

Yeah, right. Can't wait for this long offseason to finally end, so such exaggerations are not posted anymore.

Yup. At no time in history has Doncic EVER shot like Steve Nash. AND he is not built like Simmons either. Doncic is a pudgy 6-8. Simmons is a built 6-10. Nash shot 40% + from 3. Doncic shoots 31% and is declining.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#2027 » by Fo-Real » Sun Sep 9, 2018 7:56 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

Yup. At no time in history has Doncic EVER shot like Steve Nash. AND he is not built like Simmons either. Doncic is a pudgy 6-8. Simmons is a built 6-10. Nash shot 40% + from 3. Doncic shoots 31% and is declining.

But but but.... he is a young LeBron but smarter......
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#2028 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 9, 2018 9:43 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Yeah, if you're looking at ast/to ratio and DBPM both, then Cory Joseph is 3-1 with a slightly positive DBPM last year. DBPM doesn't really totally measure how good you are at defense.

One thing about Cory Joseph....every team he's played on has been a really good team. In San Antonio from 2011-2015, then 2 years in Toronto then he goes to Indy and they have a breakout season. I'm not saying he's really the reason, but he's been around a lot of coaches, teams and players that know how to win. I'm not entirely sure how much of an upgrade he is though or what I'd trade for him. I haven't watched him a lot.

Yeah, I have observed that too.

And other thing that I like is that he has not been just a simple backup the last couple of years. He played 25 mpg two seasons ago and 27 mpg for the Pacers last season.

He is an efficient player that is not flashy but makes his job done on both sides of the court. If the price is not high I would trade for him.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#2029 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sun Sep 9, 2018 11:03 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I think the value is gonna be a little bit higher...something like Melton + Milwaukee pick for Dinwiddie.

Yeah, I have observed that too.

And other thing that I like is that he has not been just a simple backup the last couple of years. He played 25 mpg two seasons ago and 27 mpg for the Pacers last season.

He is an efficient player that is not flashy but makes his job done on both sides of the court. If the price is not high I would trade for him.

I've had a problem identifying a good trade for Joseph. I could see them being interested in TJ as a 3/4, but that's worth way more than one year of Joseph (IMO), and we'd still need to make up the $$$ gap between Cory and TJ. I'm not willing to part with a first for him. Evans is likely to spend time at the 1, which makes Collison and Joseph redundant, but I just don't know what the Pacers would want what we'd be willing to give up. All of our young players aside from possibly Reed/Okobo/Melton (and excluding Holmes) are too valuable to trade for him. Arthur and two seconds? McD has paid two seconds for a rental before (B. Wright).

It sure seems like next year's FA class will have a lot of pretty decent PG's available. Basically every player we've discussed is among that group - Tyus Jones, Rubio, Walker, Rozier, Joseph, Lin if he plays a full season, Delon Wright, McConnell, Brogdon, Dinwiddie, Beverley.... Irving, Dragic, Teague as well if they opt out. Certainly, one of those teams must not plan to keep their PG beyond this season.

I am starting to come around about our logjam at the SF. With Anderson needing minutes, you can't just shove all of Ariza's minutes in at the 4. I expect him and Anderson to play less for us than they did with the Rockets, but still. I'm convinced Bender will play, too. Either JJ's living in the backcourt or Warren's gotta be moved for a point guard. If I'm generating a rotation with the roster we have, I'm leaning toward a Booker/Jackson backcourt. If I'm looking to start Jackson, trading Warren for a PG won't get me any closer - all it does is clear space for JJ to be our sixth man. We have plenty of backup PGs and don't really need another. But if the plan was to go Booker/JJ at the guard spots, wouldn't the FO have said so already??

The FO is keeping us very much in the dark about what's going on, which leads me to believe we're in meaningful trade discussions, or for some technical reason the team has to wait to pull the trigger on a deal they've had lined up for several weeks. We have the pieces to do something pretty massive. I just wish I knew what was going on!!!
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#2030 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 9, 2018 11:41 pm

:banghead:
Read on Twitter
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#2031 » by cberry78 » Sun Sep 9, 2018 11:53 pm

Saberestar wrote::banghead:
Read on Twitter

So does this mean....
?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#2032 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Sep 9, 2018 11:54 pm

Uhhhhh so why wasn't this the first thing he did the moment he signed the extension?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#2033 » by DirtyDez » Sun Sep 9, 2018 11:59 pm

Every pro sports team in town straight trolling us today.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#2034 » by Kerrsed » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:15 am

Well there goes our starting PG!

Melton/Jackson/Bridges/Ariza/Ayton it is then.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#2035 » by LukasBMW » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:23 am

You gotta be kidding me????

They couldn't have seen this coming?
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#2036 » by Kerrsed » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:24 am

He wasnt having hand issues 2 weeks ago!

Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,638

Post#2037 » by Qwigglez » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:26 am

He was biking yesterday on his Instagram account. Using one hand to record and the other to steer, most likely he fell and broke his hand, quite obvious really.

just kidding
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#2038 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:34 am

denial wrote:I have not seen Doncic play very much at all. But when I did see him play, I thought he was decent. I did not see the legendary future all time great people keep talking about. But again, I have a very small sample size.

But what I've decided is that Doncic has a very good PR team. I think PR pushed his draft slot up as much as anything else. Guys have learned the value of marketing. If you have a noticible hairdo or a realty TV show, people know your name, and it gives you value to a club. Also during the draft, it is like a political campaign. I think a good European player strategy would be to hire a firm to hit American social media with things like "greatest player ever from Europe" etc.
There are draft picks all over the world and only so many scouts going to actual games.
I don't know how good Doncic really is at basketball (maybe he is amazing). But I think he has Lebron-level PR game.

Edit: I also don't think it is coincidence that this pose highlights all of his Nike gear. This is a three-birds-with-one-stone PR promotion and photoshoot all in one, all while building a bit of muscle.

I've watched a ton, read a ton and listened to a ton about Doncic and I truly believe he has potential to be the 2nd most impactful player in this draft (behind JJJr and ahead of Ayton).

I don't think people are expecting a legendary future and anyone who makes this comment is either a troll being sarcastic or a Luka super fan. He probably does have good PR but you kinda need to when you play overseas because unlike the NCAA which is broadcast in the US, Euroleague and the ACB is a little more difficult to access. Perhaps his PR is Lebron level and that's helped his hype but I think if you've watched him play and have read/listened to what scouts have said about him, you know there's substance behind it. How you or I view his hype and actual talent is obviously completely subjective but phrases like 'the most accomplished European player to enter the draft" isn't said with no evidence. It doesn't mean he'll BE the greatest European player of all time but saying he's the most accomplished is certainly not without merit. And to be fair, every prospect has a PR company behind them so I think it would disingenuous to focus so much on the PR behind him and dismiss him his actual talent as just hype. If you ignore all the hyperbole from the supporters and the detractors and focus on actual achievement, skill set, production, level of competition, potential and the direction the league is going, it's not hard to see why a lot of people are high on the kid.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns