Trade Ideas (Part III)

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Re: Trade Ideas (Part III) 

Post#841 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:12 pm

rickrolled wrote:Morris for Osman anyone? Your team is already in the luxury tax and Love won't be gone soon, would you do this? For Boston it's to avoid being taxpayers.

This isn't remotely close.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#842 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#843 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 5, 2018 9:34 pm

^ yeah getting the expiring of Dekker for a player in White they were likely to waive today anyway so his 3/4 mil didn't become guaranteed isn't much of a shocker.
Dekker could be used as a filler in a dl deal unless he has a solid oct-jan run with the Cavs.
Don't see this as a roster building move , but hey maybe they can get something out of him.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#844 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 6, 2018 2:36 pm

apparently we used a tpe from the irving trade and just waived White. They did not trade White as part of the deal where LAC would waive him. Likely inconsequential Draft rights for euros also part of the deal...LAC had rights to 2 euros: pg David Machineau (39th pick in 2016) who I can't see Cavs being interested in other than Canton and some sg drafted in 06 who we would never sign. Cavs had 9 draft rights to burn.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

Post#845 » by NYG » Thu Aug 9, 2018 6:33 pm

Courtney Lee, Lance Thomas, Alex Abrines and 2 future OKC 2nds for J.R. Smith and Kyle Korver via 3 team deal?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#846 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 am

NYG wrote:Courtney Lee, Lance Thomas, Alex Abrines and 2 future OKC 2nds for J.R. Smith and Kyle Korver via 3 team deal?

Unless JR makes it impossible to hold onto him, I'm inclined to keep him until the deadline, or even after the season when someone will come off a first for instant salary relief. There's absolutely no way I'd take back Lance in addition to Lee. I feel similarly with respect to Korver. I think we might be able to get a late first from a playoff team around the deadline. There just aren't a lot of teams with cap space next summer and it's seller's market.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

Post#847 » by NYG » Sun Sep 2, 2018 11:35 am

Do Cavs fans think Love’s extension makes it more or less likely he gets traded if the Cavs get off to a poor start?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#848 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 3, 2018 4:04 am

NYG wrote:Do Cavs fans think Love’s extension makes it more or less likely he gets traded if the Cavs get off to a poor start?

It's hard to say really. I suspect they extended him with the idea of keeping him but if the Cavs aren't even competitive, maybe they decide there's no point in hanging onto him during what looks to be a multi-year rebuild. This is why I didn't really like the extension tbh.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#849 » by Trailbreaker » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:07 am

jbk1234 wrote:
NYG wrote:Do Cavs fans think Love’s extension makes it more or less likely he gets traded if the Cavs get off to a poor start?

It's hard to say really. I suspect they extended him with the idea of keeping him but if the Cavs aren't even competitive, maybe they decide there's no point in hanging onto him during what looks to be a multi-year rebuild. This is why I didn't really like the extension tbh.

I'm thankful we got to hang onto Love, it really does make for the Cavs to be better than the 2010-11 roster.
I'm also very happy about the season starting a little earlier, cannot wait to see some games!
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#850 » by Stillwater » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:47 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm thankful we got to hang onto Love, it really does make for the Cavs to be better than the 2010-11 roster.
I'm also very happy about the season starting a little earlier, cannot wait to see some games!

We as fans of the Cavs should be very optimistic in comparison to the wake of trash that Lebron left after the decision.
imo the plan and intention is probably optimistic & for the current Cavs roster to be able as constructed to compete for a late playoff seed this season while also giving a lot of pt and potentially some playoff experience to Sexton and more for Osman along with increased minutes for Zizic with dl deals possible for Hill and Korver possibly others if the returns are optimal for long term success. Having Love locked up gives the Cavs options as well, as his trade value could not be diminished at all due to being an expiring rental next summer and his presence provided he stays healthy for the most part and esp if he returns to putting up old school KLove numbers he alone and esp with the emergence of Osman and the progression of Sexton should allow the Cavs to attract a quality high level FA. add that they will certainly have the $ if they choose to go the route of just paying off Hill and Smith's partial guarantees.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#851 » by JonFromVA » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Stillwater wrote:We as fans of the Cavs should be very optimistic in comparison to the wake of trash that Lebron left after the decision.

How optimistic are you thinking?

Most would peg this team for like 30-38 wins.

I'm personally renewing my league pass because I want to see how the young guys develop, and the old guys adapt; but Collin Sexton isn't the sort of PG who you'd traditionally expect to uplift a team until he's had time to learn how to properly run a team and involve his teammates.

And while Kevin may be able to increase his usage, it's unrealistic to expect Minnesota Kevin to re-emerge. He's got a lot more mileage and wear & tear, and the TWolves offense was designed to feature him.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, and that is part of the fun, but I still remember getting excited to see what Christian Eyenge, Samardo Samuels, Manny Harris, Ramon Sessions, Semih Erden, Luke Harangody, Semih Erden, Joey Graham, etc, etc, might do. :lol:

35 wins would still be a big step up from the 19 wins of that dumpster fire.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#852 » by Stillwater » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:We as fans of the Cavs should be very optimistic in comparison to the wake of trash that Lebron left after the decision.

I'm personally renewing my league pass because I want to see how the young guys develop, and the old guys adapt; but Collin Sexton isn't the sort of PG who you'd traditionally expect to uplift a team until he's had time to learn how to properly run a team and involve his teammates.

And while Kevin may be able to increase his usage, it's unrealistic to expect Minnesota Kevin to re-emerge. He's got a lot more mileage and wear & tear, and the TWolves offense was designed to feature him.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, and that is part of the fun, but I still remember getting excited to see what Christian Eyenge, Samardo Samuels, Manny Harris, Ramon Sessions, Semih Erden, Luke Harangody, Semih Erden, Joey Graham, etc, etc, might do. :lol:

Yeah you won't be disappointed imo if those are your expectations. I don't know what the Org is going to do with the vets so it's really hard to say what kind of record the Cavs finish with. I do think there is reason to be excited about the upside of Sexton Osman,Zizic,Nance and the steal Preston far more so than Love or others playing at high levels. To me Love will not be young Love, but he will be featured and as a result will prove to still be the same player he was back then, with a few more miles and a higher bbiq.
IDK I mean we could tank after the break if Love is injured and or we get a really solid trade done at the dl that sets us up longterm and kills the chance for a 7 or 8 seed, but I'm thinking this org wants to make the playoffs at all costs and may look for trades to improve the roster immediately as opposed to draft assets etc.I also think we have the pieces to do just that without any trades.
Sexton like any rookie will have his struggles, but I have a difficult time thinking he can fail at all where someone could say he isn't improving. Might take some time maybe most of the season, but that wouldn't disappoint me at all so long as the man is putting the work in.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#853 » by JonFromVA » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yeah you won't be disappointed imo if those are your expectations. I don't know what the Org is going to do with the vets so it's really hard to say what kind of record the Cavs finish with. I do think there is reason to be excited about the upside of Sexton Osman,Zizic,Nance and the steal Preston far more so than Love or others playing at high levels. To me Love will not be young Love, but he will be featured and as a result will prove to still be the same player he was back then, with a few more miles and a higher bbiq.

IDK I mean we could tank after the break if Love is injured and or we get a really solid trade done at the dl that sets us up longterm and kills the chance for a 7 or 8 seed, but I'm thinking this org wants to make the playoffs at all costs and may look for trades to improve the roster immediately as opposed to draft assets etc.I also think we have the pieces to do just that without any trades.
Sexton like any rookie will have his struggles, but I have a difficult time thinking he can fail at all where someone could say he isn't improving. Might take some time maybe most of the season, but that wouldn't disappoint me at all so long as the man is putting the work in.

Oh, I believe Collin has what it takes to win ROY, but that's not necessarily the same thing as what it takes to lead a team to a winning record as a PG. Should be fun to watch him, though (as well as Cedi and Ante). At this point, I'd expect Preston to be spending most of his time at Canton.

As for the organization, they should always be focused on winning. Whether that's a short-term or a long-term focus should depend on how the team plays. Making the playoffs with the young guys playing a ton of minutes would be great ... getting their by leaning on vets who won't be around long would be foolish.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#854 » by Stillwater » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:01 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Oh, I believe Collin has what it takes to win ROY, but that's not necessarily the same thing as what it takes to lead a team to a winning record as a PG. Should be fun to watch him, though (as well as Cedi and Ante). At this point, I'd expect Preston to be spending most of his time at Canton.

As for the organization, they should always be focused on winning. Whether that's a short-term or a long-term focus should depend on how the team plays. Making the playoffs with the young guys playing a ton of minutes would be great ... getting their by leaning on vets who won't be around long would be foolish.

I think the hope is that the good mix of solid vets with solid young players will be enough to make the playoffs to get the youngsters playoff experience ,but if a deal or 2 at the dl can get us a rookie scale potential core piece or draft assets the org might be content with overplaying youngsters in the 2nd half even though the odds are greater they try to move Hill for a longer contract win now vet to help them compete for playoffs and try to pick up a rookie scale project or draft assets with Korver.
Sexton is underrated because he's not an elite 3 point shooter or a dazzling distributor , but his ability already to get to the line and with a high level mid range game and solid shooting range to college 3 should be reason enough to think he stays incredibly focused on what the game gives him and should have no problem extending his shooting range now
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#855 » by JonFromVA » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I think the hope is that the good mix of solid vets with solid young players will be enough to make the playoffs to get the youngsters playoff experience ,but if a deal or 2 at the dl can get us a rookie scale potential core piece or draft assets the org might be content with overplaying youngsters in the 2nd half even though the odds are greater they try to move Hill for a longer contract win now vet to help them compete for playoffs and try to pick up a rookie scale project or draft assets with Korver.
Sexton is underrated because he's not an elite 3 point shooter or a dazzling distributor , but his ability already to get to the line and with a high level mid range game and solid shooting range to college 3 should be reason enough to think he stays incredibly focused on what the game gives him and should have no problem extending his shooting range now

The Cavs just aren't tanking, they're rebuilding. With some luck, maybe they're rebuilding on-the-fly, but we're just not going to ship guys like Korver, Hill, let alone Love out of town just so we can lose more games. As a favor to the player? Sure. But to get any sort of asset for them, the first thing we have to do is convince the rest of the league we're not dumping them. Then they have to play well. Then a need has to arise.

As for Sexton, we clearly agree he has a ton of potential. A team just doesn't win without effective play-making, though. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to all come from Collin - it can come from other players and/or the system. So, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see George Hill and Collin as our starting back-court; but then there's the system aspect and the contribution of other players to that system ... and that's a huge question mark.

Can Ty Lue slap something together? Will he play the right mix of players? Do we even have the right mix?

And most of all can he get this group to play defense?

Without a bunch of 'yes' answers to those questions, I think we're going to lose a lot of games even if Collin puts up something like 20 & 5 with decent efficiency (because he shows he can get to the line and finish against NBA players - and even that's a big question mark at this point).

Now taking off my Wine & Gold colored glasses ... if we look at the downside, maybe Collin struggles to take his game to the NBA level, Cedi and Ante really aren't ready to contribute, Kevin and Kyle are too slow, our defense is still a sieve, Hood is a cancer, Clarkson turns in to Ricky Davis Jr, Nance can't stay healthy, Ty Lue has no clue, JR pouts, etc, etc.

We're fans ... we hope things will work out; but at this point we should realize our opinions are based more on hope, potential, and projection than anything really tangible such as past performance or excellent coaching.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#856 » by Stillwater » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The Cavs just aren't tanking, they're rebuilding. With some luck, maybe they're rebuilding on-the-fly, but we're just not going to ship guys like Korver, Hill, let alone Love out of town just so we can lose more games. As a favor to the player? Sure. But to get any sort of asset for them, the first thing we have to do is convince the rest of the league we're not dumping them. Then they have to play well. Then a need has to arise.

As for Sexton, we clearly agree he has a ton of potential. A team just doesn't win without effective play-making, though. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to all come from Collin - it can come from other players and/or the system. So, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see George Hill and Collin as our starting back-court; but then there's the system aspect and the contribution of other players to that system ... and that's a huge question mark.

Can Ty Lue slap something together? Will he play the right mix of players? Do we even have the right mix?

Without a bunch of 'yes' answers to those questions, I think we're going to lose a lot of games even if Collin puts up something like 20 & 5 with decent efficiency (because he shows he can get to the line and finish against NBA players - and even that's a big question mark at this point).

Now taking off my Wine & Gold colored glasses ... if we look at the downside, maybe Collin struggles to take his game to the NBA level, Cedi and Ante really aren't ready to contribute, Kevin and Kyle are too slow, our defense is still a sieve, Hood is a cancer, Clarkson turns in to Ricky Davis Jr, Nance can't stay healthy, Ty Lue has no clue, JR pouts, etc, etc.

We're fans ... we hope things will work out; but at this point we should realize our opinions are based more on hope, potential, and projection than anything really tangible such as past performance or excellent coaching.

I don't think that we would ship Hill or Korver just to lose more games either, but if the correct packages returning are not win now moves the majority of this roster will be youngsters anyway and could very easily slip in the standings as a result especially if said trades were for draft assets and bad contracts.
Hill and Korver will both have value this year at the deadline, just how much is yet to be determined but if any trade of either or both of those players makes the team better long-term I don't see them still on the roster after the deadline even if the team is playing well and they are apart of it, the only question is what type of value can you get in return that not only keeps you in win-now mode but also helps you for the future.
like I said before this team and its organization want to win and believe they can win with a good mix of young and old players but they are nott going to short themselves on the future if they have an opportunity to trade Hill and Korver and get better for the long term especially if they believe whoever they're getting back is going to fill whatever void was missing before the trades as well and especially if they feel Sexton and other young players can fill the void of the players that are traded
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#857 » by JonFromVA » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I don't think that we would ship Hill or Korver just to lose more games either, but if the correct packages returning are not win now moves the majority of this roster will be youngsters anyway and could very easily slip in the standings as a result especially if said trades were for draft assets and bad contracts.
Hill and Korver will both have value this year at the deadline, just how much is yet to be determined but if any trade of either or both of those players makes the team better long-term I don't see them still on the roster after the deadline even if the team is playing well and they are apart of it, the only question is what type of value can you get in return that not only keeps you in win-now mode but also helps you for the future.
like I said before this team and its organization want to win and believe they can win with a good mix of young and old players but they are nott going to short themselves on the future if they have an opportunity to trade Hill and Korver and get better for the long term especially if they believe whoever they're getting back is going to fill whatever void was missing before the trades as well and especially if they feel Sexton and other young players can fill the void of the players that are traded

The Cavs will gladly ship out Korver or Hill for a first round pick - but nobody is willing to pay the price. That could change, but I wouldn't count on it. Probably not worth the bother for anything less than that, especially if we have to take back salary.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#858 » by Stillwater » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The Cavs will gladly ship out Korver or Hill for a first round pick - but nobody is willing to pay the price. That could change, but I wouldn't count on it. Probably not worth the bother for anything less than that, especially if we have to take back salary.

I personally hope they move Hill for a unplayable vet we can stretch & a young project maybe somebody taken in the 2nd in 2018 over a late first in 2019, but I think a late first in 2019 is worth less to teams who are contenders esp being a weak draft class where the Cavs could get that pretty easily. Hell, 2 non guaranteed 2nds might be more valuable than a late first in 19 and I expect that would be harder to come by unless they were post 40th
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#859 » by jbk1234 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:22 pm

Would you guys trade a top-5 protected 2021 1st and an expiring G. Hill for Butler? I don't believe the T&T board reflects what teams will actually offer for him, but if the Wolves are getting lowballed like that, I'd consider it.

We've got prime Love. Add prime Butler and hope that Sexton has a ROY type season. You probably finish no worse than a 6th seed in the East so the pick you'd convey to Atlanta this season wouldn't hurt so much.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#860 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:00 am

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers