ImageImageImageImage

OT- Official Gaming Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Re: OT- Official Gaming Thread 

Post#341 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:44 pm

I dont know what happened with me and sports games, but I used to play them like crazy 10-15 years ago and now it’s just no fun anymore. It sucks,. I try every demo, even the soccer games feel too clunky now. I think I agree with the complexity complaint. Sometimes the quest for reality just gets in the way of having fun.

I think someone will come out with a sports game that is real simple, but feels amazing to play and is addictive because the depth comes from improving the skill set at the game. Whenever that happens, I will buy.

For now, I am going to give the new Black Ops a shot and I have been playing some BC games like Castlevania. I guess I am old school - haha. My favorite new series still is Dark Souls.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Post#342 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:46 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:I dont know what happened with me and sports games, but I used to play them like crazy 10-15 years ago and now it’s just no fun anymore. It sucks,. I try every demo, even the soccer games feel too clunky now. I think I agree with the complexity complaint. Sometimes the quest for reality just gets in the way of having fun.

I think someone will come out with a sports game that is real simple, but feels amazing to play and is addictive because the depth comes from improving the skill set at the game. Whenever that happens, I will buy.

For now, I am going to give the new Black Ops a shot and I have been playing some BC games like Castlevania. I guess I am old school - haha. My favorite new series still is Dark Souls.

NBA Jamz
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Post#343 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Or actually a good example if a game that found that niche where it's not overly complicated but is innovative, addicting, and fun is Rocket League (standard 3x3 is so great, not a huge fan of the gimmick alternatives)
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#344 » by bargnanimvp » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:53 pm

picked up 2k19 and spider-man, haven't opened them yet. been hooked on two point hospital, anyone who liked theme hospital needs to give it a go.
PennytoShaq

Post#345 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:57 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:I dont know what happened with me and sports games, but I used to play them like crazy 10-15 years ago and now it’s just no fun anymore. It sucks,. I try every demo, even the soccer games feel too clunky now. I think I agree with the complexity complaint. Sometimes the quest for reality just gets in the way of having fun.

NBA Jamz

I loved NBA Jamz. Probably played too much back in the day and got burnt out now. Another great one was the 3 on 3 hockey game. We played that like crazy.

Rocket League is a very fun game and a good example of what I like. I played that game a lot as well. One of the rare new games that does what I like. I guess I wish it was more like a regular sport instead of cars and a giant soccer ball, but its still awesome.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#346 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:30 pm

I'm a soccer fanatic and I think FIFA still holds up. It's a fantastic game. The only thing that ruins it is the online mode with scripted outcomes and handicaps.

I feel what you feel about war games, though. I used to have a lot of fun playing campaign but now I only enjoy them when it's against real opponents on the internet.

Tastes are weird and they change with time
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,015

Post#347 » by Driguez » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 am

Anyone playing Blackout beta? It's really really fun if you're into BR.
"We all we got"- SVG
Maikson
Sophomore
And1: 158

Post#348 » by Maikson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 am

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:

I'm a soccer fanatic and I think FIFA still holds up. It's a fantastic game. The only thing that ruins it is the online mode with scripted outcomes and handicaps.

I feel what you feel about war games, though. I used to have a lot of fun playing campaign but now I only enjoy them when it's against real opponents on the internet.

It's also scripted against the AI. I used to love FIFA, always played the career mode, but 16 was the last one I bought. Every year I play the demo of the current game and I don't regret giving up. I don't know why EA doesn't drop those scripts and handicaps.

Like PennytoShaq I'm also getting tired of sports games. I've played half a season as a PG of the Orlando Magic in 2K18, but I won't buy 2K19, too similar. But two sports games that I would love to play again would be a new Top Spin and a new NBA Jam (that NBA Playgrounds isn't good enough).

The only sports game that I own currently is F1 2018 and I love the career mode.

PS: Dark Souls is amazing. Try Bloodborne also if you're a PS4 owner.
Studying English, please correct my mistakes if possible :)
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst

Post#349 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:57 am

Maikson wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:

It's also scripted against the AI. I used to love FIFA, always played the career mode, but 16 was the last one I bought. Every year I play the demo of the current game and I don't regret giving up. I don't know why EA doesn't drop those scripts and handicaps.

Like PennytoShaq I'm also getting tired of sports games. I've played half a season as a PG of the Orlando Magic in 2K18, but I won't buy 2K19, too similar. But two sports games that I would love to play again would be a new Top Spin and a new NBA Jam (that NBA Playgrounds isn't good enough).

The only sports game that I own currently is F1 2018 and I love the career mode.

Top spin was really good on the PS3. Haven't played one since
PennytoShaq

Post#350 » by PennytoShaq » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Driguez wrote:Anyone playing Blackout beta? It's really really fun if you're into BR.

I will be Friday - loooking forward to it.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#351 » by paperboymafia » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:43 pm

not giving a dime to 2K until they stop with this VC pay to play better faster BS. It's such a grind otherwise and not everyone has time to play hours upon hours.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#352 » by paperboymafia » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:43 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Or actually a good example if a game that found that niche where it's not overly complicated but is innovative, addicting, and fun is Rocket League (standard 3x3 is so great, not a huge fan of the gimmick alternatives)

Rocket League is ridiculously fun and addictive. Their community is not always friendly but goodness, fun to be had there for sure.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#353 » by OrlandO » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Maikson wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:

EA dropped the ball with the newer NBA Jam. They could have turned it into a yearly digital release revolving mostly around updated rosters. Also, this year is the 25th anniversary of the original... an HD remake of the original with updated rosters would have been nice.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#354 » by Furinkazan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 pm

ugh why nobody told me new God of War is a turd game now?Wasted money.They completely destroyed it.It was iconic now its just one of many.Dropped after 30 mins.
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#355 » by orlando1214 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:05 am

Furinkazan wrote:ugh why nobody told me new God of War is a turd game now?Wasted money.They completely destroyed it.It was iconic now its just one of many.Dropped after 30 mins.

To each his own. It's my current game of the year. I loved it and thought it was a masterpiece. The original games are fine, but the new game is incredible in my opinion. I couldn't stand Kratos in the original, way too one dimensional. The new game though, he becomes one of my favorite video game characters of all time with how he grows throughout the game, and how fantastic his relationship with his son is portrayed with how they initially struggle to connect and eventually become so close. While Kratos still uses his rage and anger, it's no longer all the defines him. The story is so wonderfully crafted with so many powerful moments throughout.

The combat is really special as well. It may not feel like it at first, but once you start unlocking powers and moves, it's some of the deepest combat out there. Not every game is going to be for everyone, but I suggest giving it another go for a bit a longer. There is so much about the structure of the game, the combat, and the story that you have not even seen yet with 30 mins of gameplay. If you don't like it then you don't like it, and maybe you want that mindless button mashing and QTE's of the original game, but I for one am so glad they evolved the game the way the did.
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#356 » by bargnanimvp » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:41 am

Furinkazan wrote:ugh why nobody told me new God of War is a turd game now?Wasted money.They completely destroyed it.It was iconic now its just one of many.Dropped after 30 mins.

Yeah i got 3/4s of the way through before losing interest, i just found it incredibly boring even though others had been hyping it up i've seen on other forums people talking about how it's boring until about the half way point so i tried to keep going past that but just couldn't get into it.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#357 » by Furinkazan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:12 am

orlando1214 wrote:

To each his own. It's my current game of the year. I loved it and thought it was a masterpiece. The original games are fine, but the new game is incredible in my opinion. I couldn't stand Kratos in the original, way too one dimensional. The new game though, he becomes one of my favorite video game characters of all time with how he grows throughout the game, and how fantastic his relationship with his son is portrayed with how they initially struggle to connect and eventually become so close. While Kratos still uses his rage and anger, it's no longer all the defines him. The story is so wonderfully crafted with so many powerful moments throughout.

The combat is really special as well. It may not feel like it at first, but once you start unlocking powers and moves, it's some of the deepest combat out there. Not every game is going to be for everyone, but I suggest giving it another go for a bit a longer. There is so much about the structure of the game, the combat, and the story that you have not even seen yet with 30 mins of gameplay. If you don't like it then you don't like it, and maybe you want that mindless button mashing and QTE's of the original game, but I for one am so glad they evolved the game the way the did.

The problem for me its not God of War anymore that "simplistic" for some combat system made God of War a brand ...it basicly defined it.
Now its gone.People may like this game but it isnt God of War anymore.Its just isnt.They should have made totally new game with totally new character if they wanted go this route instead of destroying the legend.But IKR $$$$ because its Kratos.But in the end it isnt.
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#358 » by orlando1214 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am

Furinkazan wrote:The problem for me its not God of War anymore that "simplistic" for some combat system made God of War a brand ...it basicly defined it.
Now its gone.People may like this game but it isnt God of War anymore.Its just isnt.They should have made totally new game with totally new character if they wanted go this route instead of destroying the legend.But IKR $$$$ because its Kratos.But in the end it isnt.

I still feel it's very much God of War even if it has evolved quite a bit. There's still a lot of the old games in this one, in both gameplay and story, which I won't go into because of spoilers. It is also very different though, which I personally really wanted and it exceeded my expectations. However, if you just wanted another game like the old God of War games, then I can understand being disappointed.

I also don't think they should have made this game into something else, it works because of God of War, again it's hard to get into that without spoiling things. The story works so well in my opinion because of who Kratos was in those games, where he is at the start in this one, and where he finishes at the end of the game. I'm sure Sony obviously wanted to do something with the I.P. but with God of War: Ascension not reviewing or selling as well as the previous games, it didn't seem like Sony was in a big hurry to make a new one, with this new one coming out 5 years after Ascension. So having a good idea for a new game that is a soft reboot for the series makes sense. Obviously, it always comes down to money, but I don't feel this game is shoehorned into being a God of War game in the slightest.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst

Post#359 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:07 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't turn "pro stick passing" off. It's enraging because as a ball handler you want to have the option to shoot or pass and decide in milliseconds, but if you press R1 (icon passing) and go for a right stick shot, your player will pass it because of this pro stick passing bull ****. So now you dribble, shoot AND pass with the same god damn stick.

Back in the day I loved to drive to the basket while having icon passing turned on, go for a layup with Jameer to bait the defense and then dump it to Dwight last second.

These new controls are really pissing me off
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,504

Post#360 » by AddiFB » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:38 am

I used to love sports games. Live back in the days and then 2K but I lost interest. I tried again with 2K13, 15 and 18. Enjoyed it for a few days but then it got stale for me. Don't know why I have a hard time with these games now.

Been playing Spider-Man and dang it is REALLY fun. Love pretty much everything about it although it does have the Ubisoft open-world genes which can get tiresome. I wish the game didnt show everything on the map. Every sidequest, challenge or whatnot pops up all accross the map when each opens. It kind of spoils the exploration part. You instead just go to the map, set a way point and off you go... making you swing past many cool locations and details. Also wish you could turn off the mini map. Everything shows up there. I want to find things myself or accidentally discover something while just exploring.

I'm maybe spoiled by Breath of the wild in that regard where you had to explore and discover. Made me feel like I found that. I put in the effort. All me. When you get everything shown on the map it kinda turns into a checklist complete-athon with few surprises if any.

Also got Shadow of the Tomb Raider last night. Installed it but first I'll finish Spidey.
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -

Return to Orlando Magic