OT: SPURS ART & ARTISTS

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,429

OT: SPURS ART & ARTISTS 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:30 am

This thread is dedicated to artists who dedicate their creativity to sharing and spreading their Spurs love for the greater community to enjoy.

First, some murals of current Spurs at Rudy's Seafood by Nik Soupè.

You can see more of Nik Soupè's work on his Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/souplaws/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: OT: SPURS ART & ARTISTS 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am

Nik Soupè and David 'Shek' Vega are the duo behind LOS OTROS MURALS.

Some of their other Spurs murals grace more locations:

http://losotrosmurals.com/portfolio/soy-210-spurs-mural/

http://losotrosmurals.com/portfolio/spurs-interactive-travis-park/

You can see the rest of their beautiful work in the Portfolio section of their website.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 am

ABOUT LOS OTROS MURALS
Los Otros is a street art duo consisting of artist Shek Vega, and Nik Soupe. These two Texas artist have a twenty year work history together prior to the forming of Los Otros in 2014 and thirty plus years of experience in street art and street culture. The two’s respected signature styles, and their collaborative experience and artwork alike, have gained the attention of art collectors, galleriest, museums, independent business and large corporations. Los Otros specializes in artwork, custom commissions, murals, outside advertising, and branding. Los Otros passion for creating helps bridge the gap between client and community with impactful visual connections through artwork that anyone and everyone can enjoy.

“Our devotion to this art form has shown through out our careers. Our experience has lead us to create large works of art quickly and efficiently for a wide range of clients. We put 100% of our hearts in each project. We do not only love the street art mural art form, We have lived it for most of our lives.” -Shek

http://losotrosmurals.com/

Their work is now available at LIDS

LOS OTROS MURALS also offer Art Curation, Mural Installation, and Art Commissions

LOS OTROS MURALS INSTAGRAM

NIK SOUPÈ'S INSTAGRAM

SHEK VEGA'S INSTAGRAM

Shek Vega also has his own website - GRAVELMOUTH GALLERY
Since its opening in 2010, Gravelmouth has been a leading hub in the San Antonio art community
showcasing the best of local, national and international artwork. Operated and curated by David "Shek" Vega, Gravelmouth Gallery is a platform for a wide range of artist to exhibit their work in a non bias setting. From street art, fine art, fashion, and music Gravelmouth strives to introduce new and innovative artist to its San Antonio community. Gravelmouth Gallery is also headquarters to Street art muralist, "Los Otros" which was formed in 2014 by Shek Vega and fellow artist Nik Soupe.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:44 am

One of the many benefits of creating art.

Rudy's Seafood Spurs mural completed, bringing 'everyone' back to the South Side
The "South Side is alive" with a newly completed Spurs mural at Rudy's Seafood.

The South Flores staple commissioned Nik Soupè, of Los Otros Murals, to turn an exterior wall of the restaurant into an ode to Silver & Black.

Restaurant owner Roland Ramirez says the art has received positive reactions from the neighborhood and both long-time and new customers who have dropped by for a photo with the wall and left with tummies full of fried fish.

"It's brought everyone back to the South Side without bad publicity," he added. "I love the South Side, I wouldn't trade it for the world, I wanted to to give the neighborhood something to feel good about."

Ramirez applauded Soupè's ability to blend the spirit of the South Side with the Spurs aesthetic.

"I think he gave it the South Side appeal with artistic class to it," Ramirez said. "I think he really put his heart and soul into this one."

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Rudy-s-Seafood-Spurs-mural-completed-bringing-12940579.php#photo-15607136

You can also scroll through the entire mural and its stages of creation in the link.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:49 am

A tour of Spurs murals in San Antonio
A five minute drive through San Antonio usually comes with at least a handful of Spurs references spotted along the way on decals, billboards and murals....

Murals paying homage to the Silver & Black have been part of the decorum aesthetic for barber shops, gas stations, laundromats and bars for years. The rise of sites like Instagram and the excitement spurred by the 2014 NBA Championship made spotting Spurs murals that much more of a quest.

While it would be impossible to find every Spurs mural in San Antonio, we've rounded up some of the most-photographed spots.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/A-tour-of-Spurs-murals-in-San-Antonio-12842247.php?ipid=artem#photo-9911751

There are some 20 murals to scroll through in the link above.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 am

Another depiction of DeMar in a different style by Bam Bam Bam:

You can see the rest of the works on the artist's Instagram page which includes other Spurs and NBA stars:
https://www.instagram.com/bambambam.99/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:13 am

From canvas to customized sneakers, this one-of-a-kind pair was created by Dank & Co. for a SBGB auction:

https://www.dankandco.com/corporate-creations

Last minute request by the San Antonio Spurs to cook up a full roster of Fiesta-colored kicks to match their warm up shirts....

You can see the range of designer Jake Danklefs's creations on his Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/jwdanklefs/

Dank & Co. twitter: https://twitter.com/jwdanklefs
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#8 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:25 am

The creative team behind DANK & CO.

Jake Danklefs
Founder, Creative Artist, Footwear Design/Manufacturing
As a creative artist, Jake Danklefs (Dank and Co.) fulfills customers’ desires to create a custom product that reflects their personal taste (with the help of a few Red Bulls). From individuals to large businesses, these products may come in the form of shoes, or other objects that may achieve satisfaction to the customer. Proudly sponsored by Angelus direct, Dank and Co. applies a myriad of various paints and finishes to leather and other complex mediums. Additionally, the artist applies a skilled use of craftsmanship and attention to detail to perform tasks that are normally reserved for master shoe cobblers and the like. Hundreds of customers have been drawn to Dank and Co., not only for delivering quality products, but for pushing the boundaries of his given discipline. This exceptional work ethic has drawn the attention of many prominent figures in the industry, as well as garnered an envious list of figures to don his customized footwear.

From a simple shoe design to a complex marketing project, Dank and Co. places workmanship and attention to detail at the forefront of customization, from start to finish.

Phil Macias
Assistant Cobbler, the "Co" in Dank and Co.
The primary wingman for Jake, Phil employs his tireless work ethic to administer the fit and finish on nearly every single project that comes through the Dank and Co. docket. With a little bit of guidance and a strong understanding of the industrial product that is footwear, Phil is a near perfect extension of Jake's prowess for turning idea to reality. Constantly honing his skillset with every new project, Phil strives to push the boundaries of uncharted customs territory when it comes to taking the team to the next level. He also loves tacos and sports.

“Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.” - Al Capone

https://www.instagram.com/pmacias79/

https://www.dankandco.com/about.html
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:51 am

Meet The Master Shoemaker Who Is Turning Jordans Into Art
Jake Danklefs always loved sneakers. As a 4-year-old kid growing up in San Antonio, he observed his 14-year-old brother sporting the latest cool kicks and began drawing his own designs. His mother, an artist, encouraged his creativity, even going so far as sending copies of his early drawings to Nike. By the time he was 18, his interest had shifted to collecting rare items — shoes that were released to the public in limited quantities or given only to professional athletes....

Today, at his home studio Dank & Co., Danklefs creates complex, one-of-a-kind footwear inspired by whatever his clients — like LeBron James and JAY-Z — can imagine. Some customizations are as simple as a logo stenciled on a shoe, but the most elaborate jobs involve taking the shoe apart stitch by stitch, tracing each panel onto a new exotic material (or maybe even a cut-up Louis Vuitton bag) and rebuilding the shoe from scratch.

Recently, Danklefs finished an order for a friend who wanted every panel to represent something different about San Antonio, a job that ultimately put him in the hole....

Thankfully, his client was patient. The final product was so impressive that the city of San Antonio wants the shoes to be a part of an exhibit celebrating its tricentennial. Ultimately, they will likely end up in a local museum.

Jake's comment accompanying the Instagram post:
What do you spot on this shoe?

My good friend from college, Andrew Casillas, decided he wanted to have a tribute to San Antonio shoe made. We decided to have it fall in line with San Antonio's tricentennial this year. In May of 1718, the Mission San Antonio de Valero, later known as the Alamo, was established and a few civilian settlers and families of soldiers settled in the area. Now San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the United States and this year turns 300 years old. This shoe, which happens to be David Robinson's signature model (the Nike Air Command Force) illustrates the city's lush cultural and pop history and includes timeless and trending facets not to mention some personal details from Andrew's life. This pair will travel alot throughout the city this year, so be on the look out, you may see it on display somewhere....

“It’s more a piece of art than a shoe,” Danklefs said. “A lot of people rock it for one or two times and then put it on the shelf.”

The thrill of innovation is what keeps Danklefs going, even during the long hours. “My assistant and I are trying things on shoes that have never been done before, pushing the envelope to see what’s possible. We want people to ask, ‘How the hell did they do that?’ ”

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/theredbulletin/Master-shoemaker-jake-danklefs
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#10 » by Donald Kaufman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:46 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Another depiction of DeMar in a different style by Bam Bam Bam:

You can see the rest of the works on the artist's Instagram page which includes other Spurs and NBA stars:
https://www.instagram.com/bambambam.99/

Love the fiesta colors. I've been seeing that around more lately. I hope they incorporate it into the City edition uniforms this season.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Another creation by Los Otros Murals featuring Shek Vega's Spurs Story. I love these Spurs Talavera Tiles:
Read on Twitter

Here's a behind-the-scenes sneak peak at the creation process:

Spurs.com has recently retweeted the above Spurs Story in honour of Hispanic Heritage Month:

Fans have a chance to participate:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:23 pm

I wonder whether this has any connection to the Hispanic Heritage Month celebrations mentioned above? It could also be a tie-in to Day of the Dead celebrations. Either way, it's a beautiful hint of another project for the Spurs.

Shek's comment on the photo:
@balapat and @gravelmouthgallery taking a photo opp in front of this significant #losotrosmurals Piece. You guys will see how it connects with the @spurs this upcoming season. Thanks for stopping in Patty Mills, showing love to the arts community is greatly appreciated.

https://www.instagram.com/losotrosmurals/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:52 am

Spur DeMar seems to be inspiring more artists:

nathantheartist Just as excited to share this original colored pencil drawing as I am to see @demar_derozan play for the @spurs this upcoming NBA season!

This piece is by Nathan Trampe.

More info about this piece and how to purchase it can be found in this link: https://www.phly.life/melt/demar
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:18 am

Lonnie liked this enough to use it as his Twitter avatar. Good sport:

tattooedboy123 Hello @lonniewalkeriv. Two things... First I'd like to welcome you to the @spurs and second I wanna warn you, I draw silly art pieces on Spur players I love... So there ya go!!!

More from the San Antonio artist: http://www.tattooedboy.com/

EDIT to add:

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:33 am

Here's a textured portrait of Lonnie:

rubysneaks Did a piece for my guy @lonniewalkeriv Congrats on the draft bro! (Shoutout @631.soles for the kicks)

Hailing from Lonnie's Reading, Pennsylvania, Justin Ruby made this and other designs he terms sneaker portraiture: "all work made from Deconstructed Sneakers."
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:34 am

Well finally!

LOOK: Patty Mills added to iconic South Side Spurs mural
Patty Mills (via N. Soupe)

Add Patty Mills to the iconic San Antonio mural.

The San Antonio Spurs guard will be joining DeMar DeRozan, ... LaMarcus Aldridge... and other Spurs past and present at Rudy's Seafood Restaurant's Spurs mural located on San Antonio's South Side at 4122 S. Flores St.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/look-patty-mills-added-to-iconic-south-side-spurs-mural

Nik Soupè is the artist as for the first murals above. Looking forward to seeing the finished work.

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#17 » by G R E Y » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:52 am

A 2015 painting of Pop by San Antonio-based artist David Blancas:

blancasdavid Here is a preview of a painting that is in an exhibit this weekend. The show is dedicated to the home team and is titled "The Race for Seis". This is a section of a piece titled "Pop Culture", my homage to our legendary head coach Greg Popovich.

About Statement
“My passion for historical and cultural themes is a recurring components of my studio, exhibition, and public art projects. My experience with various forms of media are demonstrated in bodies of work which include abstract conceptual work, sculptural 3- dimensional installations, and modern mural fabrication and installation processes.

Public art can inspire and engage an individual in a visual dialogue, what that narrative may involve is up to the artist, each project represents a wonderful opportunity to have a positive impact on the cultural texture and creative landscape of a community.”

Biography
David Blancas was born in Nueva Rosita, Coahuila in northern Mexico and began drawing and painting at an early age. He maintains a multifaceted portfolio of teaching, mentoring, and creating public and private commissions with a specialization in paintings, portraiture, mosaics and murals.

David studied fine art at the University of Texas at San Antonio and has achieved recognition in various regional and national art competitions. He currently resides in San Antonio, Texas and is the sole proprietor of Pintura Artwork Company, a studio and art gallery that was established in 2002. He is also the director and lead muralist of Project Inspire: Mural Arts Program, an organization that collaborates with other agencies to produce community murals and other public art projects.

http://www.davidblancas.com/about/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#18 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:06 am

Nice to see Lonnie out and about, and engaging with San Antonio's arts community. He surprised his lady love with this one (EDIT: I had it backwards thinking she surprised him with it. His Oct. 25 tweet shows it was the other way around):
Read on Twitter

It was not revealed which artist painted the portrait, but more info is available about the participating artists at San Antonio Artists Collective:

About Us

Original
We only sell one of a kind original paintings.

Local
Every single artist in the group lives in the San Antonio area.

Beautiful
A huge selection of art to suit every taste and budget.

https://gallerysa.com/
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:22 am

Edible art?

San Antonio pumpkin-carving artist does it again with the Spurs starters
Arthur Alaquinez is San Antonio's standout pumpkin carving artist this fall. He grabbed social media attention in early October when he created an impressive Manu Ginobili. This week, he carved the Spurs starting roster.

The faces of LaMarcus Aldridge, DeMar DeRozan, Dante Cunningham, Rudy Gay and Bryn Forbes all shined from the flesh of the gourd Halloween night.

He told mySA.com the request from his favorite team put him on "cloud 9."

Since he was unsure who would be listed as starters on Wednesday night, Patty Mills and Jakob Poeltl also have a carving cameo.

The pumpkin featuring the starting five took Alaquinez a little more than 5 hours to complete.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/San-Antonio-pumpkin-carving-artist-does-it-again-13354583.php#photo-16431055
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#20 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:30 am

Posting this Instagram video so people can check out Rudy's comment about it. So funny!
[

Jokes aside, these are very good. See Arthur Alaquinez's Instagram page for other beautiful carvings, drawings, and designs.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs