ImageImageImageImageImage

Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#721 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 am

Last few posts are just me kind of being honest. Life is tough but it gets better

Sent from my LG-TP260 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#722 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:After reading CCJ's comments about the Hawaiian Islands being great but very expensive, I'm starting to think of where I want to retire in 10 years or so (probably more). If it wasn't for the local politics, I'm thinking South Carolina - near the beach - particularly Hilton Head.

Hilton Head ain't cheap!
That's the truth. Before my Pops passed away he had a timeshare that he let me and my ex use. Hilton Head is expensive as F!

If you leave a resort to buy groceries at places like Publix then it's reasonably priced. I remember one shrimp truck on the side of the road that was awesome. I also remember an alligator being on the timeshare grounds that was apparently tame or toothless.

My father was so nice to have my ex-wife do me so badly.

Lately I've been really missing my dad

I went there in June, and I know the alligator of which you speak. It's still there - kinda like the local mascot. There are a lot of aggressively bad real estate agents selling time-shares - need to stay away from them. Better to look at the local papers for advertisements - particularly a paper called The Island Packet.

Publix is great. And in that same strip mall is a family-run restaurant called Kenny B's - which has a phenominal Sunday brunch - If you like New Orleans style food, you'll love it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#723 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:26 pm

pancakes3 wrote:i'm trying to get back into pickup hoops and my calf/ankles are destroying me. good reminder that there's not a lot of lateral movement required in the elliptical/weight-lifting. and i'm fat.
Me too but I'm afraid I'm going to rerupture that Achilles. At a Rec Center the other day I was talking to a guy who was really stretching his ankles and achilles area very well. He had been experiencing achilles tendonitis and wanted to be very cautious Told him it was 10 years ago that I played my last pickup game after rupturing the left Achilles.

Not playing almost makes it seem like I've given up and said that I just don't exist anymore. I oughta just play anyway and try not to f*** myself up like taping my ankles and playing at a very slow pace and trying to stay mindful of the fact that I need to preserve my health for most and not try to be too competitive.

You play at half speed you should be safe

My niece made her HS varsity team as a freshman. I can still beat her 1 on 1 half court, but I have to use trash-talking to do it, and I can tell that by next year, I'll be no match, and she'll lose all interest in playing me. :cry: Seasons change.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Re: RE: Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#724 » by stilldropin20 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:38 pm

payitforward wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote: I spoke to Jimmy Carter at a book signing in Columbus Georgia not far from where he lives. He signed a book called our endangered values. Sorry for the auto-correct errors. He is very nice man outside of office and I believe he was probably nice inside of office if not misguided or naive

The causes of presidential failures tend to be personal faults, poor decision making, bad luck or some combination of the 3.

I think Jimmy Carter is unusual in that many of the failures of his presidency are linked to being a good person(although somewhat naive).

Jimmy Carter wasn't naive. Nor did the problems of his presidency have anything to do with whether he was a good person or not.

Basically, he was elected, & then the sh|t hit the fan. The price of crude oil had tripled in the preceding few years, & our economy was beginning to really feel the effects -- then the price of crude oil doubled again during his last year in office! To almost twice what it is this morning (adjusting for inflation).

No President would have been likely to survive that. Our embassy in Tehran being stormed & the hostages taken was the icing on the cake.

Whereupon, Carter faced a guy who might have been the best Presidential candidate in history!

Poor guy, Jimmy Carter had no chance whatever against a campaigner like Ronald Reagan. Especially given that, in addition to his presence & communications skills, Reagan had a long, deep & real history in politics. If anything he was more experienced than Carter.

That said, yes, I think Jimmy Carter was a good person all the same. For that matter, Ronald Reagan (w/ whose politics & policies I agreed not at all) was also a good person.

When he was Governor of California, during a 4th of July party at his house, he jumped into his swimming pool fully clothed & rescued a little girl who was drowning. He'd been scanning the pool all afternoon to make sure everyone was ok & was the only one who noticed the problem. Lifeguard habits -- as a lifeguard, he'd saved 77 people from drowning.

When I think of the word "conservative," Reagan is one of those who pops into my mind. Again, I disagreed w/ him politically just about 100%. But he was the real deal.

As a person, a quality human being, the only President since Ronald Reagan who qualifies as his peer is Barack Obama.

Pretty different, both of them, from the slimy creep residing in the White House these days.

Why did the price of oil shoot up so high? Why were interest rates 15, 16, 17% in the mid to late 70's!!??

Why did interests rates begin to drop and drop significantly once Jimmy Carter signed the "help China" policy in january 1979?? Why did gas and oil prices stabilize and go down after we signed the help china policy?

Why was it so important to recognize taiwan as part of china?

Who was it the united states was appeasing by helping china? who benefitted? Which bankers were investing in china throughout the 70's? Once this help china policy was adopted why did the inited states begin going into massive debt to pay for a cold war?

Why was richard nixon at the state dinner with Jimmy carter in 1979 when the US began formal and fully recognized relations with China?

even better, who sits on the federal reserve board? Who actually picks the chairman of the federal reserve board? Who establishes interest rates?

and most importantly, when the united states is no longer the global power and no longer the leader of the free world and our economy is no longer in our control yet we are still straddled with an debt with no means to pay it down besides massive taxes, which "quality human being" do we blame? Carter? Nixon? Reagan? WJC? Either Bush? Obama? Trump?
like i said, its a full rebuild.
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#725 » by stilldropin20 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:42 pm

in happier news. Ozark season 2. next week! and series finally sharp objects tonight!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#726 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:51 am

stilldropin20 wrote:in happier news. Ozark season 2. next week! and series finally sharp objects tonight!

Try reading a book, you useless piece of crap.

Edit: I finally cleaned the dogsh|t from my shoes -- you're on Ignore.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#727 » by stilldropin20 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:59 am

payitforward wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:in happier news. Ozark season 2. next week! and series finally sharp objects tonight!

:lol: :lol: :lol: looky-a-here, haus, if you somehow worked real hard and tried real good to put together your greatest "masterpiece" of what you call poetry and prose and worked real hard on it for a long time... it wouldn't be a fraction as good as what doclinkin pukes up in the toilet after a late night of binge drinking. and if i had the time to allow my creative mind to get back in that zone i'd eat you alive over a quick breakfast while putting back a bowl of honey nut cherrios. Thing is i'm too busy in the real world and you're too stupid to notice the strings of the puppet master anyway...Besides, doc already pulled down your pants in the poetry thread. And that stuff your cleaning off of your shoes is your own pile of horse manure that you've been shoveling around, room to room for decades, getting nowhere. going no where. Just shoveling shxt. other than that...i grant you permission to enjoy my work from afar as you clearly got nothing. You just dont know the issues well enough. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#728 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:47 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:
payitforward wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: looky-a-here, haus, if you somehow worked real hard and tried real good to put together your greatest "masterpiece" of what you call poetry and prose and worked real hard on it for a long time... it wouldn't be a fraction as good as what doclinkin pukes up in the toilet after a late night of binge drinking. and if i had the time to allow my creative mind to get back in that zone i'd eat you alive over a quick breakfast while putting back a bowl of honey nut cherrios. Thing is i'm too busy in the real world and you're too stupid to notice the strings of the puppet master anyway...Besides, doc already pulled down your pants in the poetry thread. And that stuff your cleaning off of your shoes is your own pile of horse manure that you've been shoveling around, room to room for decades, getting nowhere. going no where. Just shoveling shxt. other than that...i grant you permission to enjoy my work from afar as you clearly got nothing. You just dont know the issues well enough. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trust me, politics and insults aside (tempting and bountiful as they would be), you REALLY know not what you speak of.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#729 » by barelyawake » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:37 pm

“Even Daniel son could wax off you jack offs, better come to grips like a handjob. The boom bap is coming back at mumble rap with a hacksaw.”

“Here it is. It’s your moment, enjoy it. I had to give you a career to destroy it.”

“I’m sorry if you want me to have a heart attack. I’m sorry I didn’t call you back, I was jogging on my Nautic-trac. Here’s an autograph for your daughter, I wrote it on a starter cap.”

Hahahahahahha

And the wincing reactions from the internet to all of Em’s haymakers this year... so funny.
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#730 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 pm

barelyawake wrote:“Even Daniel son could wax off you jack offs, better come to grips like a handjob. The boom bap is coming back at mumble rap with a hacksaw.”

“Here it is. It’s your moment, enjoy it. I had to give you a career to destroy it.”

“I’m sorry if you want me to have a heart attack. I’m sorry I didn’t call you back, I was jogging on my Nautic-trac. Here’s an autograph for your daughter, I wrote it on a starter cap.”

Hahahahahahha

And the wincing reactions from the internet to all of Em’s haymakers this year... so funny.

em might have the better lyrics if we break it down. delievery was all MGK. musically i'm going with MGK as well. and I dont really like rap that much anymore. but kinda liked the MGK hit piece more than the em counter.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#731 » by barelyawake » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 am

stilldropin20 wrote:
barelyawake wrote:“Even Daniel son could wax off you jack offs, better come to grips like a handjob. The boom bap is coming back at mumble rap with a hacksaw.”

Hahahahahahha

em might have the better lyrics if we break it down. delievery was all MGK. musically i'm going with MGK as well. and I dont really like rap that much anymore. but kinda liked the MGK hit piece more than the em counter.

Not surprising actually since MGK admits his target audience is “too old for the club” dentists.
RealGM

Post#732 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:51 am

Ruzious wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:i'm trying to get back into pickup hoops and my calf/ankles are destroying me. good reminder that there's not a lot of lateral movement required in the elliptical/weight-lifting. and i'm fat.
Me too but I'm afraid I'm going to rerupture that Achilles. At a Rec Center the other day I was talking to a guy who was really stretching his ankles and achilles area very well. He had been experiencing achilles tendonitis and wanted to be very cautious Told him it was 10 years ago that I played my last pickup game after rupturing the left Achilles.

Not playing almost makes it seem like I've given up and said that I just don't exist anymore. I oughta just play anyway and try not to f*** myself up like taping my ankles and playing at a very slow pace and trying to stay mindful of the fact that I need to preserve my health for most and not try to be too competitive.

My niece made her HS varsity team as a freshman. I can still beat her 1 on 1 half court, but I have to use trash-talking to do it, and I can tell that by next year, I'll be no match, and she'll lose all interest in playing me. :cry: Seasons change.

Ruzious, I just now COMPREHENDED this... :D Sure I read it about 3-4 weeks ago.

Good for your niece! I've got a niece who's closer to me than my own kids. I'm sure she loves her uncle. :)
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#733 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:53 am

barelyawake wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:

Hahahahahahha

Not surprising actually since MGK admits his target audience is “too old for the club” dentists.

I'm clueless as to who MGK is. I'm clueless about a lot lately. :P
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#734 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 am

RIGHT NOW (5PM HST on 16 Sept) on the beach at Waikiki there's a "world premier".

Sunset at the beach. They're showing the Season 9 Premier which will air on CBS on Friday the 28th. Also, Episode 1 of the reboot Magnum PI is showing

Montestewart: GUESS WHAT? I'm not too big to fit in an HPD uniform. The first one I tried on (hair, makeup, costume is something even BG actors go through) fit perfectly.!

That's all I'm going to say other than NO, I'm not on screen in an HPD uni.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#735 » by doclinkin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:38 am

why am i awake
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#736 » by montestewart » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:30 am

doclinkin wrote:why am i awake

Because the season hasn't started yet
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#737 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Me too but I'm afraid I'm going to rerupture that Achilles. At a Rec Center the other day I was talking to a guy who was really stretching his ankles and achilles area very well. He had been experiencing achilles tendonitis and wanted to be very cautious Told him it was 10 years ago that I played my last pickup game after rupturing the left Achilles.

Ruzious, I just now COMPREHENDED this... :D Sure I read it about 3-4 weeks ago.

Good for your niece! I've got a niece who's closer to me than my own kids. I'm sure she loves her uncle. :)

Thanks CCJ. Nieces and nephews are so much easier than your own children, because you don't have to discipline them, and you don't have to live with them. I met my niece when she was 8 months old in an orphanage in China - I went with my sister because her husband was too chicken-bleep to fly there. The orphanage there was run almost completely by women, so I was the first adult male to bond with her, so she thought her uncle was the coolest thing since... sliced bread. That gradually wears off when kids turn into teenagers. But not having the same genes as me, she's very fast, super agile, and uber competitive. But her lack of size probably means no athletic scholly. We'll see.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#738 » by barelyawake » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:23 am

barelyawake wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:

I'm clueless as to who MGK is. I'm clueless about a lot lately. :P

Well, you need to catch-up because it’s the best soap opera in town. Let me preface this by saying that I’m a sucker for the moments when art forms police their own. I love grunge looking and glam bands and saying, “You’re ruining rock.” Punk looking at Disco and saying, “What happened to the revolution?” Miles Davis listening to elevator music and taking on the entire genre to refine it back to its roots. So, I’m utterly addicted to the Eminem v mumble war. That said, it’s an exciting time for the true poetry of rap as well, with guys like Black Thought (check 215, what an amazing tune). But I digress...

So, mumble rap has taken over the scene, because millennials are all too cool for school, and what says I don’t care more than a rap song where they were too disinterested to write lyrics. So, several of the lyricist have been fighting back. Telling the industry that they are killing an artform. But, Em has taken that beef to biblical levels. So, to prove that lyrics are where it’s at, he’s creating his own competition, an exhibition of lyrical skills as it were. He hasn’t expressly said so, but that’s the upshot of calling out EVERYONE. He just called out Puff for god sakes.

So, for about three years, Em has been killing it with lyrics (his game keeps getting more complex), and he’s pushing himself to show the artform as he attacks mumble. Check the song Caterpilar. Some of his best work ever imo. So, then he drops this bomb Kamikaze, where he attacks mumble and everything else. And only one guy responded (with bars and that’s all that matters).

His name is Machine Gun Kelly. Young Em wannabe but more thug, and much less skill. He’s fine, but he’s not going to challenge anyone in the top 50, and Em debatably sits at the top of that list, and undebatably within the top five. And, like Drake, he has ghost writers who help him. But, all that said, he did a good diss track. Several good lines. Em’s knees are so weak the real slim shady can’t stand up. That’s funny. But, I’m fairly sure that beat and many of those lines were sitting in a can somewhere waiting for this moment.

So, then Em released Killshot. And the thing is, I wish Em would get off the homophobia kick (trust me I was raised that way too). But, it doesn’t make him sound tough, it makes him sound old. Like I’ll knock your teeth out with my gramophone. But, the complexity of his rhymes and jokes are so layered. He goes back to old Shady to call the kid Stan (and this is what he’s been doing a lot of, sonning these kid rappers). Stan killed himself because Em wouldn’t write him back (in the song). Looping that into the diss the way he wrote it... brilliant. The “it’s your moment” line, that is gut wrenching. And “Give him my sandals, because as long as I’m shady he’s gonna live in my shadow.” That’s Dave Attell level funny. Btw, I’ve been butchering lyrics in this thread. Top of the head. Anyway, you asked for it. That’s it. I’m edge of my seat with the popcorn invested.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#739 » by pancakes3 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:55 am

em's best line was

"It's your moment
This is it, as big as you're gonna get, so enjoy it
Had to give you a career to destroy it"
Bullets -> Wizards
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#740 » by stilldropin20 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:16 pm

I brought myself into this discussion and then got quoted up in it so now I am going to ramble for a second. Obviously I'm no expert in any of this.

For me MGK wins this battle on the 2 or 3 levels that "count." but mostly because most of us had no idea who he was until Em responded. I didn't. and good on Em if that was the ultimate goal per BA, "prop up a lyricist rapper over mumble rap?" If that was the intent? Cool. Self-preservation at its finest.

Related: (As an aside, I always loved the disco era of the rolling stones the best...not because the music was necessarily better...but it was "more fun" and a couple of their best songs came out of that era occurred because they embraced the change in music to the more danceable disco sound...now i know the (likely fake) story that the stones put out: that "Miss you" was a tongue in cheek dig at disco...just to show the world that they could do that genre too...and the people loved it...so much that it spawned another great stone experiment..."emotional rescue" and other with a slight disco edge). I dont buy it. I think the stones wanted to take a stab at the genre and leave their mark on it and show they could evolve but were either too insecure or afraid to disappoint a fan base that wanted something else. Either way? they still did it. Not unlike the beattles evolving from "8 days a week" to come together(a more manly progression that could be accomplished full throated). they embraced the heavy handed lead guitar of what was to come in the 70's. Kinda led it because once "they" did it everyone was licensed to do it, even the church kids.

I'm not saying Em should become a mumble rapper. I'm just saying...the best "dis" is to put out a mumble rap #1 hit and record it in an hour...like the stone did with "miss you." They literally laid that track in an hour and it evolved on stage in a live jam session.

As a dancer. I personally dont mind mumble rap (if the music is good). The beatles and stones made some of the best music ever. Their lyrics mostly sucked...even though we all know the words and even like the words...they are saying nothing 90% of the time. Where Led Zep had great lyrics. With good messages. But the message was always kinda dark and the music was dark. <--which is cool if thats the trip you want to take.

So as BA claims, perhaps Artistically and technically as a lyricist MKG may or may not be as sophisticated as Em? I'm not so convinced. Does Em put words together in ways to make is sound good? Yes. Is there a great meaning? No. He's just another Tennyson. Nothing wrong with that BTW. I love that. I dont need meaning. But lets not pretend Em is delivering a message here. He's nothing more than a dis rapper. And of the comedy order. Like a missy elliot. Again, nothing wrong with that. And most rapper(and musicians in general) almost never get above that level anyway. So lets not pretend that Em is some high level priest of lyrics. He's a words smith. not a messenger. A comic, who kinda has trouble laughing at himself. MGK has a better message to EM and overall: "Dont live in the past!"

I personally dont feel or follow much of Em's lyrics because i was never an EM "stan." Personally, like i said, I'm a dancer. I phucks. Dancers like to interpret the music with their body and dont care too much about how the artists intereprets their own song both lyrically and in the delivery of those lyrics. It's a show and I prefer to steal it in my own way. All good dancers do. That's what gets my rocks off. So the music itself matters to me waaaaaaaay more than the lyrics. Many people strictly listen to music for the music, not the lyrics. To move. To lift their spirits. To completely be taken me away in a dance or even a day dream of a dance. Lyrics dont (usually) do that for me...mostly only sounds and rhythm do that for me. Every now and then great music meets great lyrics and you have an all time (cheesy) great like "feels like the first time" where performing the song becomes and remains part of the dance and listening experience. or a slightly less cheesy delivery in "all right now" or "slow ride." Artist who go "all in" on the character development of their sound in general and any given song can bring you in. Em doesn't reel me in here like he did on, say, "lose yourself". So MGK wins on that level too.

So for me MGK's music and musical flow of the delivery of his rap, the all in nature of the delivery, is just better than Em's. Em's dis is barelyawake and his lyrical flow is not only significantly inferior, its the same old song and dance we heard from Em in the 90's. It was corny then and is cornier today. But the words still sound good. Sure. Just corny.

What's interesting is that Em mentions his "stans" often. And makes many references to his old music. Which is pretty much the definition of living in the past. But to Em (anyone who really liked his music is a "stan" or some type of weird fanatic. It screams to Em's insecurity with his own fame and his inabilty to appreciate others make him feel inferior. Not all stans feel bad about being a stan. In fact realgm is loaded with stans. (No im not one of them). I like styles. And I like teams. I cheer for the name on the fornt of jerseys. But i have no problem with stans so long as stans understand they are biased by their standom. But the "stan" label Em puts on his fans and others is weird. he clearly struggles with his super stardom and wealth, perhaps he feels guilty and doesn't feel he or anyone deserves it (but like most in his shoes, he aint giving it away).... As if its some kind of weird thing for average income earners to want to hang out and be around the rich and/or famous guy. Not sure why he struggled with that so much. And clearly still does. The weird thing though is that it is only Em's "stans" (like barely) that would even get the references to his old music. Only Em's stans would know his music and lyrics that well. Which would be kinda cool if Em was in on the joke with his stans. But he isn't. He is still laughing at his own fans, including MGK in that group. So what exactly is the profound message here by Em?? Not seeing it. And he doesn't seem to have come to accept that is it normal for poor people or those who live mundane day to day lives to want to hang around with rich people or famous people and experience the spot light. To me? Em is still just a sophomore. And in that regard MKG's piece is better again. MGK gets it. He's an entertainer. At the moment, he accepts his seat at the table and is enjoying it.

Stylistically, on the delivery? no new ground here by Em. Same ol' style. Whereas I feel i'm listening to something kinda new here by MKG. kinda like it felt new when the real slim shady first stood up.

But let's the people decide

Return to Washington Wizards