ImageImage

The Greek National Team thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

higharc
Junior
And1: 225

Re: The Greek National Team thread 

Post#401 » by higharc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:30 pm

I much prefer the spacing and pace of my lineup, but sure, it is an option against tall, slow teams.
higharc
Junior

Post#402 » by higharc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Some stupid people don't let us enjoy these moments... :banghead:

Head of Greek Basketball Federation went on and gave a radio interview, including some not so politically correct statements.
My loose translation of the part in question:

"I'm alive and I face all the adversities that various persons create. These guys are guys who have been molded out of the national teams. You also saw the statement by Sloukas who said he has been playing for the national teams for ten years and can never abandon them. Indeed, they feel this national obligation to always be present, although there are several people who do not allow them, as was the case with Fenerbahce last time that did not let him come to play. On the other hand, such a player is inconceivable - and I raise the tone of my voice - not to find a place in Greek basketball when dubious "tourists" are employed.

I am not in a position to answer whether we will have Antetokounmpo in China, I do not want to say something I am not certain will happen. Of course we want him, for God's sake, why not want him? I told you who is in charge of world sports. Agents are a parasitic profession, they do not offer anything to the world sports movement. You know it. They have in their court journalists, push media presence and they also think they can give lessons. It's a messy matter, we want him and I hope he understands that thanks to this country he is in the US and starring. He has the obligation to come, of course."

Not a smart way to patch things up if you want a positive outcome with Giannis traveling to China...
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#403 » by Jstock12 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:09 am

higharc wrote:Some stupid people don't let us enjoy these moments... :banghead:

Head of Greek Basketball Federation went on and gave a radio interview, including some not so politically correct statements.
My loose translation of the part in question:

"I'm alive and I face all the adversities that various persons create. These guys are guys who have been molded out of the national teams. You also saw the statement by Sloukas who said he has been playing for the national teams for ten years and can never abandon them. Indeed, they feel this national obligation to always be present, although there are several people who do not allow them, as was the case with Fenerbahce last time that did not let him come to play. On the other hand, such a player is inconceivable - and I raise the tone of my voice - not to find a place in Greek basketball when dubious "tourists" are employed.

I am not in a position to answer whether we will have Antetokounmpo in China, I do not want to say something I am not certain will happen. Of course we want him, for God's sake, why not want him? I told you who is in charge of world sports. Agents are a parasitic profession, they do not offer anything to the world sports movement. You know it. They have in their court journalists, push media presence and they also think they can give lessons. It's a messy matter, we want him and I hope he understands that thanks to this country he is in the US and starring. He has the obligation to come, of course."

Not a smart way to patch things up if you want a positive outcome with Giannis traveling to China...

That guy should write a book called 'How to alienate the best athlete in the history of your country'.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#404 » by Prez » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:39 am

How is Thanasis looking? Could he help an NBA team right now?
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Post#405 » by 3Diamantidis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:27 am

Prez wrote:How is Thanasis looking? Could he help an NBA team right now?

Nah. He's world class in terms of D but on the other end he is the same player. He often plays the 4 with his club due to his impressive physique and athleticism but in nba you can see multiple guys with his body. He is one of my favorites due to his passion though. Ofc i can name many worse players than him that are playing in the nba now.

I think that the greatest talent of the family technique wise is the small one. Alex. He can shoot and dribble much better than his brothers but he dorsn't have the same athleticism. I believe he is going to be a really high pick in 2 years.......The Greek NT will be having 4 brothers in 3 years lol
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#406 » by Nightfall » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:26 am

3Diamantidis wrote:I think that the greatest talent of the family technique wise is the small one. Alex.

I saw these 2 promising videos recently :

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,886

Post#407 » by Fotis St » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:27 pm

He could always help an NBA team.

If Jerami Grant (OKC) is an NBA player, so is Thanasis.

I always liked them both.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#408 » by TroyD92 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 pm

I wonder how many older brothers have said the same thing and they never even reach the same stratosphere.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#409 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:12 am

If the kid has his head screwed on right and just needs confidence and encouragement this is absolutely the right thing for an older brother to say. But if the kid is a little **** then it's absolutely the wrong thing to say LOL

Giannis and Thanasis have a lot of fire in them, they never stop pushing themselves no matter what.
But they have seen a lot of crap in their lives pre-American dream so maybe that has something to with it.
Remains to be seen if the two younger ones have the same attitude.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#410 » by truly » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Yeah something tells me that Thanasis and Giannis turned out the way they did because they had to earn a living since a young age,meanwhile the younger brothers had a lot of money growing up.The rumors about one of them being an entitled little sh*t might have something to do with it.

As for basketball ability i highly doubt anyone comes close to Giannis.Maybe the younger one can shoot better but he doesnt have the elite length and athletism Giannis has.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
higharc
Junior

Post#411 » by higharc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:17 pm

They asked him about it in the euro camp. He said he sees it as motivation to work in order to live up to Giannis' statements.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#412 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:45 am

Fotis St wrote:

He could always help an NBA team.

If Jerami Grant (OKC) is an NBA player, so is Thanasis.

Good comp actually, if you like Jerami you'd probably like Thanasis.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#413 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:59 am

His athletic ability is unbelievable...truly a one of a kind freak. But he can't do anything except run, dunk, and hustle. He could have made a good career in the NBA or EuroLeague probably back in the 90s style of basketball. Not now....
JABRoy
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#414 » by JABRoy » Tue Nov 6, 2018 8:03 am

How Greece NT will be in Tokyo 2020?

POTENTIAL team (without specific order):
PG: Calathes ‘89; Sloukas ‘90; Mantzaris ‘90;
G: Pappas ‘90; Larentzakis ‘93; Dorsey ‘96;
F: G.Antetokounmpo ‘94; Papanikolaou ‘90; T.Antetokounmpo ‘92;
F/C: Printzetis ‘85; Mitoglou ‘96; Agravanis ‘94;
C: Koufos ‘89; Bouroussis ‘83; Papagiannis ‘97;

OTHER players considered:
PG: Lountzis ‘98; Koniaris ‘97;
G: N.Rogkavopoulos ‘01;
F: Charalampopoulos ‘97;
F/C: Papapetrou ‘94; Z.Auguste ‘93; K.Antetokounmpo ‘97;

IDEAL STARTING FIVE (for now):
Sloukas; Dorsey; Papanikolaou; G.Antetokounmpo; Bouroussis

IDEAL HEAD COACH (for me):
David Blatt
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Post#415 » by AussieBuck » Tue Nov 6, 2018 8:15 am

Surely they are done playing Giannis next to non shooters. Regardless of the Majesty of your bald spot, you shouldn't get a game if you don't fit around the star.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
turbostef
Senior
And1: 213

Post#416 » by turbostef » Tue Nov 6, 2018 12:42 pm

JABRoy wrote:How Greece NT will be in Tokyo 2020?

POTENTIAL team (without specific order):
PG: Calathes ‘89; Sloukas ‘90; Mantzaris ‘90;
G: Pappas ‘90; Larentzakis ‘93; Dorsey ‘96;
F: G.Antetokounmpo ‘94; Papanikolaou ‘90; T.Antetokounmpo ‘92;
F/C: Printzetis ‘85; Mitoglou ‘96; Agravanis ‘94;
C: Koufos ‘89; Bouroussis ‘83; Papagiannis ‘97;

OTHER players considered:
PG: Lountzis ‘98; Koniaris ‘97;
G: N.Rogkavopoulos ‘01;
F: Charalampopoulos ‘97;
F/C: Papapetrou ‘94; Z.Auguste ‘93; K.Antetokounmpo ‘97;

IDEAL STARTING FIVE (for now):
Sloukas; Dorsey; Papanikolaou; G.Antetokounmpo; Bouroussis

IDEAL HEAD COACH (for me):
David Blatt

Ideal Starting 5 without Calathes? Our best PG by far right now?

I like Dorsey but the boy has shown NOTHING until now. He is a Shooter they say. I can not see this by his numbers.
I Understand where you are coming from (surrounding GIannis with Shooters) but Dorsey in nowhere near being a starter at the NT.
SG is our weak spot but still the combo Calathes/Sloukas was deadly from 3 in the last Tournament and during the Qualification
Calathes is not famous for his shooting but he has improved to a solid to good level.
Dorsey on the other hand is not seeing significant minutes in Atlanta and I can not see super % from deep

But I like Tyler as he brings something to the table that other Greek Players do not have. He is an athletic good shooting (potentially) SG. And we do not have much SG. So i think he is important for the future. But right now (even in 2020) he will be way to unexperienced to carry a Greek NT

PG: Calathes
SG: Sloukas (he was always a Combo Guard)
SF: Pap
PF: Giannis
C: Bourousis will be like 80 years old in 2020 (but still our best center :lol: Papagiannis will be a choice until then, or Koufos)

Coach Blatt? Will you pay for him? :lol: The Greek BB Federation does not have money for paying a HC with a big name.
And it is not even close. We will see a Greek as a HC who will do it for free. For the fame and honor.
And I am OK with that ;)
www.basket-balls.de

German Euro/FIBA Forum
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#417 » by Beorn » Tue Nov 6, 2018 12:54 pm

If Papagiannis is our starting C in 2 years, we are in deep trouble :lol: :lol:
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,886

Post#418 » by Fotis St » Tue Nov 6, 2018 1:01 pm

Calathes,Sloukas,Giannis,Printezis,Koufos

Dorsey,Pappas,Thanasis,Papapetrou,Papagiannis

Koniaris,Mantzaris,Papanikolaou,Kostas,Vougioukas
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#419 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Nov 6, 2018 1:02 pm

Ι'd start a frontcourt of 3 Antetokounmpos just for the pleasure of watching a certain group of idiots commit group seppuku.

As for coaches, we have lots of good ones. If none of them is ready to spend a couple of months with the NT for free then **** em. Plenty of young guys would kill for the job.
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#420 » by greekbuck34 » Tue Nov 6, 2018 1:39 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Surely they are done playing Giannis next to non shooters. Regardless of the Majesty of your bald spot, you shouldn't get a game if you don't fit around the star.

Calathes is so good(NBA level good) at everything else outside shooting that it doesn't worth replace him with a non factor shooter near Giannis.
Fiba Basketball is different anyways. Giannis is so strong right now he can overpower 90% of the PFs/Cs he will face there so he won't have to ISO drive a lot. Calathes can easily play high quality PNR with him or make the proper pass to Giannis at the post something Brogdon/Bledsoe still struggle to do so. Giannis will get a lot of double team and with a good coach we will get the advantage of that because we may lack a lot of things as a NT but that's not the IQ of our players.

Last time Giannis played with the NT he wasn't even half the player he is now.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks