Official Drug Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,877

Re: Official Drug Thread 

Post#161 » by Jasen777 » Wed Feb 1, 2017 10:00 pm

UFC’s Ricardo Abreu fails USADA drug test while serving two-year suspension

The UFC middleweight, already serving a doping suspension, failed another USADA drug test stemming from a Dec. 21 sample collection and is facing a second UFC anti-doping policy violation, the promotion announced Wednesday.

Abreu is less than a year into a two-year ban by USADA due to testing positive for anabolic steroid metabolites norandrosterone and 19-noretiocholanolone in June 2016. He is currently ineligible to compete in the UFC until July 1, 2018.

A second anti-doping violation could double Abreu’s suspension and the “aggravating circumstances” clause in the UFC anti-doping policy could lengthen the ban even more.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,744

Post#162 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#163 » by Jasen777 » Fri May 5, 2017 10:34 pm

Curious if this will help him at this stage.

‘Bigfoot' Silva back on TRT for Vitaly Minakov fight in Russia
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#164 » by REDDzone » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Anderson popped again.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#165 » by Jasen777 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 pm

Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#166 » by Jasen777 » Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:18 am

Did we already know this? I can't keep track.

Anderson Silva tested positive for steroid and diuretic in USADA drug test

Anderson Silva tested positive for two separate substances in his recent USADA drug test, MMA Fighting confirmed Friday.

The UFC legend had both methyltestosterone and a diuretic turn up in his system in a sample collected Oct. 26, sources confirmed. Combate was the first to report the news earlier this week.

Methyltestosterone is considered an anabolic agent in the UFC anti-doping policy, which carries a maximum suspension of two years. Silva, 42, has denied knowingly using any banned substances and is currently going through the adjudication process with USADA.

Per WebMD, methyltestosterone is a medication used by men whose bodies cannot produce enough testosterone and is similar to the natural testosterone a body produces. It can also treat breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Methyltestosterone is considered a synthetic anabolic steroid.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#167 » by qm22 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 am

2 questions about the physical signs of steroid use I hope people may inform about-
(popped in my mind when looking at Cammo's top 100 fighters thread pics)

1) How strongly indicative is gyno of steroid use? Like 90-99%? Does it ever happen without? I.e., disregarding someone with a genetic condition who was that way their whole life, when it suddenly pops up and goes away in a pro-athlete, does it essentially prove steroids?

I think Cain Velasquez had some of the most prominent gyno in MMA but I never saw people suspect him the way they do a ripped guy, like "look at him he's obviously on steroids" Romero.

2) This is a cringey one to consider but, based on the former line, lol, I noticed in the top 100 fighter thread some steroid users like Shamrock seemingly have weird nipples :uhoh: . At least weird in my personal experience... In this case I'm talking about the extended nipple but without breast-like gyno. But similar to gyno, I never knew a non-athlete to have a pretty extended nipple point. Maybe I'm just ignorant but I'm curious is that natural...? I've seen it in some fighters before and just thought 'huh, weird' and then seeing Shamrock had it I thought maybe it's really a side-effect of steroid use.

Like, right before my post the James Mulheron pic. (Not sure if he has a little gyno too or that can happen from chubbiness). Shamrock link viewtopic.php?f=270&t=1664687&start=20#start_here
Brock's pic there had it even though his earlier gyno was gone. Maybe it's something those anti-estrogens can't fix :rofl:
On the last page Gus looked like he had it too.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#168 » by Jasen777 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:50 pm

GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,744

Post#169 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:58 pm

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#170 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 am

That's pretty much donezos for Werdum right? He'd be close to his mid-40's by the time his suspension is up
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#171 » by Headliner » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 am

lilfishi22 wrote:That's pretty much donezos for Werdum right? He'd be close to his mid-40's by the time his suspension is up

He’s done
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#172 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:44 am

Wouldn't mind seeing Werdum back in the BJJ scene
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#173 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Why can USADA give Werdum an answer within a few months but Jones takes a year plus? Obviously different situations but this Jones stuff is getting ridiculous. Are they still just working on PR for how they can justify giving him little to no punishment?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#174 » by Jasen777 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:27 am

REDDzone wrote:Why can USADA give Werdum an answer within a few months but Jones takes a year plus? Obviously different situations but this Jones stuff is getting ridiculous. Are they still just working on PR for how they can justify giving him little to no punishment?

Maybe they keep delaying it until Malki can produce a supplement tainted by the right thing?
qm22
General Manager

Post#175 » by qm22 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:23 am

There would be such delays in many analogous legal defense cases where the defense was trying to defend and cause there to be further investigation, or requested time to address accusations, etc. Not that I buy USADA is effective in objectivity, unintentionally or intentionally, but a delay appears to be normal for a resistant defense. I assume Werdum plead guilty. I may be wrong because there have been others who had failed tests and announcements even though they tried to defend, but I don't know the details that would distinguish whether a defense was valid or not.

My understanding is that the UFC testing is only a small portion of the USADA program, so I'm not sure if they would be completely willing to ruin their validity just for continued business with the UFC or the sake of Jon Jones. There could be other reasons for them to be unreasonable, like the personal bias of Novitizsky who appeared publicly adamant that there must be some excuse for Jones out there because "it doesn't make sense" for him to fail, even though that explanation appeared to be a only a unknown possibility rather than close to a strong case.

And to make it more confusing, USADA seemed intent that Jones have a longer suspension last time, and felt the arbitration they let decide and conclude Jones was simply "careless" was incorrect.
qm22
General Manager

Post#176 » by qm22 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:51 pm

This is curiosity and not an accusation, but with seeing Thiago Santos pictures a lot lately, he has the weird feature which has been called an HGH gut... I think. ( https://mmasucka.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/MARRETA.jpg )
My understanding is either bloating or an unnatural proportion of the upper ab protrusion compared with the lower. I only heard of that when hearing about GSP accusations, based on a few pictures. Is this a probable case or can it be likely explained as some upper-abs biased training regimen?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#177 » by REDDzone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm

qm22 wrote:This is curiosity and not an accusation, but with seeing Thiago Santos pictures a lot lately, he has the weird feature which has been called an HGH gut... I think. ( https://mmasucka.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/MARRETA.jpg )
My understanding is either bloating or an unnatural proportion of the upper ab protrusion compared with the lower. I only heard of that when hearing about GSP accusations, based on a few pictures. Is this a probable case or can it be likely explained as some upper-abs biased training regimen?

Who really knows but could be something as simple as him exhaling in that picture. I didn't notice it live.
qm22
General Manager

Post#178 » by qm22 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 pm

REDDzone wrote:
qm22 wrote:This is curiosity and not an accusation, but with seeing Thiago Santos pictures a lot lately, he has the weird feature which has been called an HGH gut... I think. ( https://mmasucka.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/MARRETA.jpg )

Who really knows but could be something as simple as him exhaling in that picture. I didn't notice it live.

I guess so. Santos seems like a cool guy afaik so I hope it's just a coincidence captured in a single pic.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#179 » by Jasen777 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:21 pm

UFC changes anti-doping policy, will no longer announce violations before cases are resolved

...According to a report by ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, UFC will no longer announce a violation before the fighter being accused has his or her case completely resolved. The change reportedly went into effect back in July.

UFC’s Chief Legal Officer Hunter Campbell went into further detail as to why this is an important aspect of the organization’s anti-doping program.

”If an athlete has a positive drug test, we aren’t putting them in a fight until their case is resolved -- but what we can do is give the athlete an opportunity to adjudicate their issue without the public rushing to judgment,” Campbell said. “Announcing the test result creates this narrative around the athlete before people understand the facts.”

Per UFC Vice President of Athlete Health and Performance Jeff Novitzky, 21 out of the 62 adjudicated cases under the UFC’s anti-doping program were ultimately deemed “non-intentional use” by USADA. That’s substantial, especially considering those fighters in question had to defend themselves from public scrutiny after unknowingly taking a banned substance.

The most notable case was that of former UFC heavyweight Josh Barnett, who avoided suspension from a 2016 failed drug test after an arbitrator ruled earlier this year that Barnett unknowingly ingested a contaminated substance. Barnett not only lost a ton of cage time while fighting the allegations, but he was forced to defend himself in the public eye....

In practice this is going t be a mess...
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#180 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:25 am

I see pros and cons.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts