ImageImageImageImageImage

Resurrected unified MUSIC thread.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Re: Resurrected unified MUSIC thread. 

Post#1101 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:38 am

montestewart wrote:Moved a bunch of posts about rapping from Random Thoughts to the Music thread, sort of per Doc request, and it seems a better place to continue. The Music thread rarely gets such an extended discussion

:rocking: :wordyo: :nod:

"If you're down and out, AND YOU HURT REAL GOOD...ALL YOUR LONELINESS I'LL TRY TO SOOTHE...

I'll play the blues for you."

:D

:rock:
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1102 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:02 am

Two of the last Beatles hits were epic

This was the last. FItting...

Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1103 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:31 pm

I wonder what future generations will think of The Beatles. Their body of work is so absurdly outstanding; it'd be a shame if they're ignored. Personally, I prefer The Rolling Stones, but objectively, the Beatles are the best band ever.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#1104 » by barelyawake » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:34 am

Beatles were certainly groundbreaking with the word salad and orchestration (as were The Beach Boys and Pink Floyd from that era). Gen Y are trying to tear them down (as they do anything their parents like). I assume the next gen will fall back in love with them.

PS looking forward to hearing the newly mastered White Album with new material.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#1105 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:46 am

some of my fav lessor known (if thats possible) beatles songs.

this is amazing if you havent seen it...travelling wilburies with George harrison's son and a very fun guest with some beautiful guitar work at the end. :nod: :nod:

like i said, its a full rebuild.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#1106 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:52 am

but if you want to lite one up and listen to 7 minutes of bliss try this one on for size. i think its going to be a hit!!
like i said, its a full rebuild.
RealGM

Post#1107 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 2, 2018 4:24 am

Ruzious wrote:I wonder what future generations will think of The Beatles. Their body of work is so absurdly outstanding; it'd be a shame if they're ignored. Personally, I prefer The Rolling Stones, but objectively, the Beatles are the best band ever.

I prefer the Bee Gees. They were around for year and year BEFORE their Saturday Night Fever hits.

Ruzious, I do agree with you that the Beatles put out an "absurdly outstanding" body of work. :nod:
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1108 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 2, 2018 4:31 am

barelyawake wrote:Beatles were certainly groundbreaking with the word salad and orchestration (as were The Beach Boys and Pink Floyd from that era). Gen Y are trying to tear them down (as they do anything their parents like). I assume the next gen will fall back in love with them.

PS looking forward to hearing the newly mastered White Album with new material.

I love Pink Floyd as well. Their live performance is mesmerizing. :o

Bye bye Beal.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,300

Post#1109 » by dobrojim » Tue Oct 2, 2018 2:33 pm

montestewart wrote:
dobrojim wrote:Pretty much the opposite of Hiphop, my band is playing at the Farmers Market
in Great Falls (across Walker Rd from the Safeway in 'downtown' GF, not exactly Barry Farms)

Tomorrow, Saturday 9/22 from 9-12. There is no charge. We're just background music for
shoppers.

https://www.thestewartsisters.com/

pix is out of date - Our bass player has left the band due to moving out
of the area.

Gotta miss it this weekend, but enjoyed the time I heard you all play. She was a fine bass, got a new one?

Thank you.

We do not have a permanent official replacement. But we do have a guy who sits in
when he is available. He's in a few other bands so he is: 1. good and 2. not always available.

We're going to play Lake Anne Plaza in Reston on Oct 27. 11-1. It'll be free.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#1110 » by barelyawake » Sat Oct 6, 2018 4:28 am

We don’t have an art thread, but since banksy is in Massive Attack I’ll drop it here. I think Banksy just surpassed everyone else on my idols list...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-06/banksy-painting-destroyed-in-artist-s-prank-at-sotheby-s-auction
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#1111 » by montestewart » Sat Oct 6, 2018 5:34 pm

barelyawake wrote:We don’t have an art thread, but since banksy is in Massive Attack I’ll drop it here. I think Banksy just surpassed everyone else on my idols list...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-06/banksy-painting-destroyed-in-artist-s-prank-at-sotheby-s-auction

I saw that too. Pretty funny, though as with similar pranks, it seems that many of the ostensible "victims" are likely co-conspirators, and the primary audience is really the people the prank is reported to. It seems more a performance piece than a prank, though a very good performance piece.

We should follow up on how traditionalists in the art world react, especially to the fact that a fairly small scale spray paint on canvass from a living artist "reportedly" fetched $1.4 million or something. Prank or not, expect his sales and prices to go up.

PS: Not sure how much traffic it would get, but I wouldn't object to an art thread. We currently have Basquiat in the politics thread.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1112 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 6, 2018 3:14 pm

The group I play with, The Stewart Sisters, was recently invited to play
a few songs to open a house concert featuring blues guy Robert Lighthouse.

So after we finished and Robert was getting ready to start he asked
me if I wanted to sit in with him on a song or 2 which I was flattered
to accept. I'm the guy playing lap style dobro with his back to the camera.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1113 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 6, 2018 7:01 pm

Pretty sure this band will be huge within a few years - finally a real rock n roll band. Yeah, I wish they sounded a little less like Led Zeppelin, but that's ok. No relation to Fred Van Fleet. Kind of an odd name, since they're all male, but it probably makes more sense than using their last name - Kiszka.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
trast66
Rookie
And1: 611

Post#1114 » by trast66 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 2:56 am

Ruzious wrote:Pretty sure this band will be huge within a few years - finally a real rock n roll band. Yeah, I wish they sounded a little less like Led Zeppelin, but that's ok. No relation to Fred Van Fleet. Kind of an odd name, since they're all male, but it probably makes more sense than using their last name - Kiszka.

Yeah these guys are stars. A marketers dream, gets the old guys who love classic rock and any kids left who like guitar. My 14 year and his friends don’t like any guitar based music except Led Zeppelin and GVF. 50 years from now I think the Beatles and Led Zeppelin are the most likely rock era bands to still be listened to.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1115 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 7, 2018 3:38 pm

Ya got me pegged as one of the old guys looking for the classic rock sound - that's exactly what hooked me. And also, those 3 brothers are all legit musicians. It's not just the lead singer carrying them - hopefully his vocal chords stay healthy. His twin brother is an terrific guitarist, and their younger brother is a phenom on guitar and piano. Just 22, 22 and 19 years old.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#1116 » by doclinkin » Sat Mar 2, 2019 2:44 pm

Bump since the movies thread got derailed by music talk.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1117 » by dobrojim » Sat Mar 2, 2019 6:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:I wonder what future generations will think of The Beatles. Their body of work is so absurdly outstanding; it'd be a shame if they're ignored. Personally, I prefer The Rolling Stones, but objectively, the Beatles are the best band ever.

The Beatles are/were way ahead of any other band in terms of 2 important aspects:

1. cultural impact (breadth and depth)

2. commercial success - no other band has come close to the number of top 10 hits they had.

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1118 » by payitforward » Sun Dec 1, 2019 2:14 am

Bumping this for Zards who responded to my Clifford Brown link the other day. Talk about great trumpeters dying young, this is the incredible Booker Little who passed at 23. Hard to imagine where he would have taken it, given where he did take it.

This was his short-lived quintet with the incomparable Eric Dolphy (also dead too young, & senselessly).

The other players are Mal Waldron -- one of the great, & relatively unknown, pianists -- bassist Richard Davis & Ed Blackwell, one of the most gifted, musical drummers in jazz history (& when I hear him I do feel like I'm hearing jazz drummers from the whole of the tradition -- Zutty Singleton forward).

Enjoy.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#1119 » by DCZards » Sun Dec 1, 2019 3:51 am

How ironic. I subscribe to a few "jazz" pages on Facebook and about an hour ago I came across an Eric Dolphy recording of John Coltrane's "Naima." Another great trumpet player, Donald Byrd, is on this recording. Dolphy was a rare bird with a unique sound. He's playing bass clarinet here.

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1120 » by payitforward » Sun Dec 1, 2019 3:08 pm

Wow -- that is super-strange, Zards, as I was listening to that very recording of Naima at about 8:30pm last night -- just before I thought of Booker Little, recalled this quintet album, & decided to send it your way!

Donald Byrd wound up a professor at U of Delaware (I live in Lewes, DE). My buddy James Jones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jones_(psychologist)) was going to introduce me to him, but DB passed away before he got the chance.

Fortunately -- unlike Clifford & Booker Little -- Donald Byrd did not die young: he lived to be 80 -- perhaps b/c he was married to this beautiful woman? -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/147039490@N04/31030019514

Byrd was a wonderful player & quite an interesting individual. He moved away from jazz to R&B & fusion in the '70s -- why? -- when he lived in DC & taught at Howard (where, btw, he also got a JS, a law degree, for some unknown reason!).

Here he is practicing on the NY Subway :) -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/147039490@N04/31753992831

That version of Naima, btw, was recorded only about 2 weeks before Eric Dolphy died in Germany (of an undiagnosed diabetic attack).

Edit -- a precious memory: standing in the freezing air outside a downtown Chicago club at maybe 14-15 years old (they wouldn't let me in!) listening to Dolphy & Little for @ an hour. I have no idea how/why they happened to be playing in Chicago....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards