- Larrson

-----------------------
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Re: McDavid to Toronto? 

Post#2 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Oct 3, 2018 8:02 pm

The Oilers laugh at this deal. McDavid is easily better than both Matthews and Nylander and Larrson isn't a throw in especially with his deal. There is a reason why McDavid is the best player in the league and got the money he did and why Toronto hasn't signed Matthews long term yet.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#3 » by Matty » Wed Oct 3, 2018 10:04 pm

Wouldn't even take Tavares and Matthews if they were offered.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#4 » by North_of_Border » Wed Oct 3, 2018 10:18 pm

Maybe if the Leafs can get McDavid to force a trade. He is wasting his career in Edmonton.

Then Matthews + Nylander might be a enticing offer for them.

Sent from my HTC Desire 728 dual sim using RealGM mobile app
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Post#5 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Oct 4, 2018 11:55 am

North_of_Border wrote:Maybe if the Leafs can get McDavid to force a trade. He is wasting his career in Edmonton.

Then Matthews + Nylander might be a enticing offer for them.

No it's really not, Nylander is going to want big money which and idk if he's worth more than $6 million a year. Don't get me wrong Matthews is the greatest Leafs draft pick since Wendel Clark and will be elite for years but McDavid has the tools to possibly be top ten of all time if he continues to keep playing like he is. We are taking the best prospect since Crosby, Gretzky and Lemieux in the modern era. If Edmonton puts McDavid ever on the block in the next 2 years they would want multiple picks, high end prospects on cap friendly deals and salary relief.

As for your deal if they can't compete with McDavid and their roster then I am sure they couldn't afford the same team with Matthews and Nylander an extended Talbot as well that team has no cap room to do so. At a minimum they would want Lucic going the other way
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,057

Post#6 » by v1n5anity » Mon Oct 8, 2018 5:27 am

I stopped following hockey since leaving Toronto 24 years ago (hah! I'm a geezer lol). Can you guys help me out (serious questions, please answer seriously also :) ). :

1. Is Connor McDavid better now than Sidney Crosby? Who would be their NBA player comparison (in terms of impact and popularity)?

2. Who is John Tavares' NBA comparison in today's NBA?

Thanks in advance for the replies. I just didn't want to start a new thread.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#7 » by North_of_Border » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 am

v1n5anity wrote:I stopped following hockey since leaving Toronto 24 years ago (hah! I'm a geezer lol). Can you guys help me out (serious questions, please answer seriously also :) ). :

1. Is Connor McDavid better now than Sidney Crosby? Who would be their NBA player comparison (in terms of impact and popularity)?

McDavid is a young LeBron, Just before he entered his Prime.

Tavares is Kawhi Leonard. One of the top two way superstars in the league. But not quite the Top overall as in LeBron category. But he happened to be on a horribly run team unlike Leonard. That's the difference.

v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,057

Post#8 » by v1n5anity » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 am

North_of_Border wrote:
v1n5anity wrote:I stopped following hockey since leaving Toronto 24 years ago (hah! I'm a geezer lol). Can you guys help me out (serious questions, please answer seriously also :) ). :

Tavares is Kawhi Leonard. One of the top two way superstars in the league. But not quite the Top overall as in LeBron category. But he happened to be on a horribly run team unlike Leonard. That's the difference.

Gotcha. I guess Crosby is like the Kobe? He's elite at the same time ready to pass the torch to McDavid. Thanks.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#9 » by whysoserious » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:The Oilers laugh at this deal. McDavid is easily better than both Matthews and Nylander and Larrson isn't a throw in especially with his deal. There is a reason why McDavid is the best player in the league and got the money he did and why Toronto hasn't signed Matthews long term yet.

While I do agree that McDavid is the better player the gap isn't that wide and the fact that Matthews isn't signed means nothing in terms of which one is the better player. The Oilers have to pony up and early to keep talent, totally different market than what Toronto is. Toronto has three high end talented players they are trying to sign within a short window, that's why Matthews isn't signed, not because the Leafs don't see him as a player on McDavid's level or that he's not good enough to get signed early.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#10 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Mar 3, 2019 1:52 am

v1n5anity wrote:
North_of_Border wrote:

Gotcha. I guess Crosby is like the Kobe? He's elite at the same time ready to pass the torch to McDavid. Thanks.

You could also compare Crosby to Tim Duncan since he has the best intangibles in the league, and is great at some unsexy things like being willing to grind, playing both ends, etc. He will probably finish 6-10 all time

Tavares seems like more of a 2nd team All NBA guy than 1st team to me. Maybe Paul Pierce. Who is a 1st ballot HOFer so that's no slight. Teams can also win championship with their best player being Pierce level way easier in NHL than NBA.
AreBe
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,472

Post#11 » by AreBe » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:20 pm

North_of_Border wrote:- Matthews
- Nylander

for

- McDavid
- Larrson

-----------------------

Um, sure, but you need to toss in an awful lot of booze, expensive Scotch Image
Holy Moses! Take a look! Flesh decayed in every nook! Some rare bits of brain lie here, Mortal loads of beef and beer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_McKittrick_Ros

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs