Bellator General Discussion and Info

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Re: Bellator General Discussion and Info 

Post#1621 » by Susan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:05 am

REDDzone wrote:Pico is a monster.

They're lucky he's not in the WW tourny.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#1622 » by qm22 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:10 pm

This is probably an old discussion that has been thoroughly settled, but I'm curious what people think would happen if a lot of the better fighters, like 2 of 1/2/3 went to Bellator after their contract was finished. Like Jon Jones, Romero and Whittaker. Their MW would have Mousasi, Romero, Whittaker, and the UFC would have Gastelum and the ghosts of Weidman and maybe Rockhold if he went back. In LHW, without DC and Jon Jones in future years, there isn't much excitement. Bellator WW has Rory and Lima, which is arguably better than the best of UFC WW unless Woodley comes back in great form (and I don't think Rory loses to Wonderboy again).

Lately Cyborg was interested in leaving the UFC too, which is relevant not only for the prestige of having "the best" fighters, but because her distaste of fighter treatment and matchmaking is probably a trend. I'm just curious because although it seems certain to never happen, I don't know why it would be bad for the fighters involved. A mega star might get paid more by Bellator and have better sponsorship. I assume they'd have better matchmaking because Bellator wants to appease them.

Regardless of whether there is a shocking move between mega stars, I'm sort of curious if UFC will continue to have the edge in quality of fights as they continue to be about money fights, which in the future I don't know who they have to market as a money fight except a high-priced Conor and whoever he faces.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1623 » by Bernman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:44 am

The Chand-man is back. I hoped to see how he'd fare in the UFC. Never seemed a serious interest. Pitbull theorized it's because USADA would have been his toughest opponent. He may be right. In any event, Bellator's lw division doesn't get any weaker. Don't think it could have afforded it. I do hope Alvarez winds up back there and we see the trilogy.

They also are officially returning Minakov now, after several years away, when he left as undefeated champ (still undefeated). Will not come back as champ. Going to fight once and then face the GP winner. Think that's appropriate.

Looks like Bellator are here to stay w/ the DAZN deal, so hopefully they can become like SF at least and have several fighters per division to be competitive w/ each other and create rivalries (no they're never going to compete w/ UFC to answer the previous question). Need a lot of help at bw especially. Gotta find somebody for Bandejas and Gallagher to make names off, and keep Caldwell busy when he drops back down. Higo moved up, Taimanglo is gone, McDonald and Dantas both have serious injuries.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1624 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:15 pm

Caldwell is a monster.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1625 » by Bernman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Does this weekend's event, arguably the biggest in Bellator history, even warrant its own thread from a traffic perspective? I don't hear much buzz about it, maybe because it's their inaugural one on DAZN, which is underground and subscription. But you can get a free trial. This would be the time for it. Really doubt it's ever going to be worth a permanent commitment from me personally. Of course many will just stream it.

I got Mousasi over Rory, Lima over Koreshkov, Wand over Rampage, and Pico over Higo.

- Mousasi's size and slickness on the ground give him the advantage if it goes there, and on the feet I doubt Rory can bully him like he needs to.
- Lima should have beaten Rory but made a tactical error and of course still greatly out-damaged him. He was dissecting Koreshkov w/ leg kicks before the ko and his tdd keeps improving, although sometimes he needs to show more urgency.
- Wand looks less of a shadow of himself physically than Rampage right now and was the danger on the feet against Chael.
- Pico has a real test against Higo. I actually see a lot of people picking Higo, believing this is too much too soon. But the only guy he's struggled against was bigger, and Higo is moving up in weight. Also doesn't have devastating ko power. Pico should be able to walk through strikes and tee off to the body again and work to a sharp head combo if need be.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#1626 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Those are pretty tight fights. Cool.

Mousasi vs Rory staredown lol. Combined increase in all nervous system activity = 0.0
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1627 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:38 pm

Watched today's staredown...surprised Rory didn't put on much weight. He competed in a grappling tourn a couple years back, in between fights, and was **** huge. Like 210. So he can definitely get up there. But is opting here to remain lean.

I think he's pretty effed. He's not going to out jab Gegard. So what's the plan? He'd better hope Gegard decides for humaneness and sinks in a sub. Another Lawler mauling and he's going to put his career in jeopardy.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1628 » by REDDzone » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:15 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Watched today's staredown...surprised Rory didn't put on much weight. He competed in a grappling tourn a couple years back, in between fights, and was **** huge. Like 210. So he can definitely get up there. But is opting here to remain lean.

I think he's pretty effed. He's not going to out jab Gegard. So what's the plan? He'd better hope Gegard decides for humaneness and sinks in a sub. Another Lawler mauling and he's going to put his career in jeopardy.

I think Luke Thomas can be annoying but he's one of 2-3 total MMA journalists who I think has a decent understanding of fighting technically and he seems to think similarly. His argument is that both are just so good and so well-rounded, but Gegard is significantly bigger so he should be able to impose his game on Rory more effectively.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1629 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:59 am

It's hard to imagine how Wand wins this. He's just so much smaller. Rampage was 254, LOL. And Rampage can box proper, with barely a calorie burned, he isn't dependent on berserker aggression and explosiveness. I expect him to just hit Wand with a nice loose jab, until he can land something wide to his chin. He can do this with impunity, it's not like Wand is going to slip & counter.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#1630 » by qm22 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 am

Rory will probably need to do a number of impressive things to overcome the size difference. I don't know how to guess who will be better or more skilled, but I think that aspect is most likely not lopsided and Rory's upper body looked quite a lot smaller in the stand off. Not only that but he also showed a protruding and soft gut that i never saw him have before. That actually makes me grateful Rory was interested in it, choosing to take an "unwise" match up which will be very interesting for MMA fans.

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,941

Post#1631 » by CPT » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Just found out about this today scrolling through Facebook. Seems like a really good card.

FWIW, totally fine to start threads for individual Bellator events. Even if they only get a handful of posts, it's not like the board is super cluttered.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1632 » by Susan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:46 pm

CPT wrote:Just found out about this today scrolling through Facebook. Seems like a really good card.

FWIW, totally fine to start threads for individual Bellator events. Even if they only get a handful of posts, it's not like the board is super cluttered.

Aaron Pico Superthread coming right up!
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1633 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:02 pm

Holy **** LOL

ALL YOUR MONEY on Rampage. It's 7:00EST, you can have your home re-mortgaged by 9:00.

That is the technique of just any meathead beginner in a cardio box class.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1634 » by Susan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:14 am

GOAT PICO is about to fight.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1635 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:17 am

Omg stop the effing fight. Jesus Christ.
Slo
Head Coach
And1: 8,532

Post#1636 » by Slo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:20 am

wtf is up with the late stoppages lately. Have some mercy for the fighters, bring back Mario!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1637 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:21 am

So who is bellator 145 champ? Have to imagine they could legitimately give Pico a title shot after this one.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1638 » by Bernman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:22 am

Man, Pico is a savage. One of the most powerful strikers in MMA p4p. That wasn't a good match-up for Higo considering the size difference. That magnified the power difference. Higo had his moments. Pico's striking defense is a little sleepy and he hangs in there too long sometimes out of machismo or confidence in his ability to put you down. But I could see it costing him again some time down the line like v. Freeman, when he's facing bigger guys like he was, who throws straights and get in and out. I don't think he could handle Pitbull or Curran now. Needs some more development, as sexy as his win styles are right now.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1639 » by Susan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:23 am

REDDzone wrote:Omg stop the effing fight. Jesus Christ.

I won't be able to see the GOAT fight for another two months now. This ref gave the people what they wanted, MORE PICO.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1640 » by Bernman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:25 am

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Omg stop the effing fight. Jesus Christ.

I won't be able to see the GOAT fight for another two months now. This ref gave the people what they wanted, MORE PICO.

tiers of complicity:

4) Khabib
3) Werdum
2) Dana
1) Susan

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts