ImageImageImageImageImage

Sure sounds like KD is leaving

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Sure sounds like KD is leaving 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 1:08 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24872197/kevin-durant-plans-honest-pending-free-agency

Durant is confident that no matter what happens over the course of the 2018-19 season, he will stay focused on the task at hand as he tries to help the Warriors win their third straight NBA championship.

"I dealt with it before," Durant said. "I just try to be as honest as I can. I'm not going to tell people what I'm thinking. ... Some days I think about my free agency, some days I don't. Some days I think about what my future looks like, some days I don't. I'm just human. That's just natural for me. But I can't sit down and talk to people about it because I want to keep playing, I want to focus on the season.

"So I know the questions are going to come. I know a lot of people are going to speculate and print rumors and sources, but nobody's heard from me about anything, so it's just all speculation at this point."

Of course the reason for all the speculation is that he signed a 1-year deal when he could have signed a multiyear (4 or 5 years?) deal to line it up with Curry.

That awkward moment at the parade is going to feed speculation.

Compared to this interview, Kyrie was pretty clear about signing again with the Celtics when he interviewed with ESPN last week.

So before the end of the season, he said he's going to sign again with the Warriors. Of course he didn't say it would be another 1-year deal.

That is probably why Myers was awkward about it at the parade, that they'll do it any way KD wants it, but apparently he had told the team by then that he's going to do another 1 and 1 deal, like Lebron did for several years before he finally left Cleveland again.

Maybe that drama West alluded to still lingers around. KD seemed stoked with the "back to back!" so if they win again, Warriors can only hope he'll be even more excited and go for a 4-peat, which MJ, Shaq, Kobe, Bird and Magic never accomplished.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Re: Sure sounds like KD is leaving 

Post#2 » by Coxy » Wed Oct 3, 2018 1:33 am

Meh, no point in even entertaining the issue right now, so much will happen over the season that will effect his decisions, so it's just whatever right now.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#3 » by HiRez » Wed Oct 3, 2018 1:36 am

A month ago I was like 60% he was staying, now I'm like 60% he's leaving. But yeah, no one knows, probably he doesn't either.
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,020

Post#4 » by Frozzy » Wed Oct 3, 2018 2:30 am

I'm just gonna enjoy this season as best I can and not worry about KD leaving. I'll always be thankful for KD coming here, couldn't have had it any better after that Finals meltdown in 2016.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#5 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 3, 2018 2:38 am

The fact that he signed a 1 yr contract means nothing. He had to if he wanted to get full Bird rights and be able to sign an absolute max contract with the Warriors next summer.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#6 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 3:27 am

I feel like I'm going to be saying this another 1000 times this year ... they win they likely all come back. The Chase center awaits.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#7 » by likashing » Wed Oct 3, 2018 7:45 am

I’ll think about it after winning another ring this season.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#8 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 8:53 am

wco81 wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24872197/kevin-durant-plans-honest-pending-free-agency

Durant is confident that no matter what happens over the course of the 2018-19 season, he will stay focused on the task at hand as he tries to help the Warriors win their third straight NBA championship.

"I dealt with it before," Durant said. "I just try to be as honest as I can. I'm not going to tell people what I'm thinking. ... Some days I think about my free agency, some days I don't. Some days I think about what my future looks like, some days I don't. I'm just human. That's just natural for me. But I can't sit down and talk to people about it because I want to keep playing, I want to focus on the season.

"So I know the questions are going to come. I know a lot of people are going to speculate and print rumors and sources, but nobody's heard from me about anything, so it's just all speculation at this point."

Of course the reason for all the speculation is that he signed a 1-year deal when he could have signed a multiyear (4 or 5 years?) deal to line it up with Curry.

That awkward moment at the parade is going to feed speculation.

Compared to this interview, Kyrie was pretty clear about signing again with the Celtics when he interviewed with ESPN last week.

So before the end of the season, he said he's going to sign again with the Warriors. Of course he didn't say it would be another 1-year deal.

That is probably why Myers was awkward about it at the parade, that they'll do it any way KD wants it, but apparently he had told the team by then that he's going to do another 1 and 1 deal, like Lebron did for several years before he finally left Cleveland again.

Maybe that drama West alluded to still lingers around. KD seemed stoked with the "back to back!" so if they win again, Warriors can only hope he'll be even more excited and go for a 4-peat, which MJ, Shaq, Kobe, Bird and Magic never accomplished.

Let's not be naive. Durant and his camp knew the cap was going up to 109 mil next summer and a projected 118 mil in 2020-21. If he's going to agree to long term deal. It makes way more financial sense to agree to a long term deal next summer or the summer after next.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#9 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 3, 2018 3:15 pm

wco81 wrote:Of course the reason for all the speculation is that he signed a 1-year deal when he could have signed a multiyear (4 or 5 years?) deal to line it up with Curry.

Instead of a 1 year deal, Durant could have signed a 4 year deal worth about $150MM. Next summer, after 3 years, which give Warriors his Bird rights, he could sign a 5 year deal with them worth about $206MM. He's eligible for 35% of the cap either way, but Bird rights allow 5 years instead of 4, and 8% raises instead of 5%. The cap is projected to rise from $101MM to about $109MM.

It's not hard to see why he signed a 1 year deal. If he wants to move next summer, he can get the 4 year deal from anybody. If he wants to stay, he can get the 5 year deal from the Warriors.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#10 » by Mylie10 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 4:30 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
wco81 wrote:Of course the reason for all the speculation is that he signed a 1-year deal when he could have signed a multiyear (4 or 5 years?) deal to line it up with Curry.

Instead of a 1 year deal, Durant could have signed a 4 year deal worth about $150MM. Next summer, after 3 years, which give Warriors his Bird rights, he could sign a 5 year deal with them worth about $206MM. He's eligible for 35% of the cap either way, but Bird rights allow 5 years instead of 4, and 8% raises instead of 5%. The cap is projected to rise from $101MM to about $109MM.

It's not hard to see why he signed a 1 year deal. If he wants to move next summer, he can get the 4 year deal from anybody. If he wants to stay, he can get the 5 year deal from the Warriors.

Even Myers has stated publically that it makes sense for KD to wiat and sign something next year.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#11 » by northoakland510 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 6:43 pm

I think he is here to at least usher in the new arena.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#12 » by watch1958 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 6:47 pm

I think he's either going to stay, or leave.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#13 » by Flash Falcon X » Wed Oct 3, 2018 6:54 pm

If he leaves then that just means Curry goes back to MVP form and the Warriors will actually start trying in games instead of playing so casual. It'll be like 2016 again, just hope Steph doesn't get a freak injury in the Playoffs again.

If KD does leave I wouldn't be surprised if he joins LeBron. People wonder why he'd join LeBron, but if you look at it, if the Warriors win the championship this season, he'd equal LeBron's three rings and they can both go for their 4th rings together as teammates. The Lakers would be KD's third team just as it is LeBron's.
#DubNation
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#14 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 7:36 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:If he leaves then that just means Curry goes back to MVP form and the Warriors will actually start trying in games instead of playing so casual. It'll be like 2016 again, just hope Steph doesn't get a freak injury in the Playoffs again.

If KD does leave I wouldn't be surprised if he joins LeBron. People wonder why he'd join LeBron, but if you look at it, if the Warriors win the championship this season, he'd equal LeBron's three rings and they can both go for their 4th rings together as teammates. The Lakers would be KD's third team just as it is LeBron's.

Joining Lebron hardly makes any sense. The public opinion will just be he had to join the best player in the world. Plus we all know Lebron would get all of the credit when they win and KD will get most of the blame if they lose.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#15 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Oct 3, 2018 7:50 pm

I wonder if David West was referring to friction that developed due to the roles Curry vs. KD have on offense. The offense is still largely based around getting Curry open much like it was before KD signed. Running offense for KD seems to take the form of a departure from the Curry based system and be more about isolating KD. So KD and Curry still don't mesh perfectly on offense and I wonder if KD is dissatisfied because he's a better player than a guy that should be playing second fiddle to Curry. My hope is that Kerr is able to develop the offense enough so that Curry and KD are equally featured as weapons which should translate into historic levels of dominance. I imagine KD would want to continue to be part of that.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 9:29 pm

watch1958 wrote:I think he's either going to stay, or leave.

Boom

/thread
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 9:32 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:I wonder if David West was referring to friction that developed due to the roles Curry vs. KD have on offense. The offense is still largely based around getting Curry open much like it was before KD signed. Running offense for KD seems to take the form of a departure from the Curry based system and be more about isolating KD. So KD and Curry still don't mesh perfectly on offense and I wonder if KD is dissatisfied because he's a better player than a guy that should be playing second fiddle to Curry. My hope is that Kerr is able to develop the offense enough so that Curry and KD are equally featured as weapons which should translate into historic levels of dominance. I imagine KD would want to continue to be part of that.

I think West was talking about all the injuries and the stress and strain that brought out with players not having fun. The big 4 only had half a season together while the next 5 guys on the roster all missed time and were injured for long portions of the season. It was just stress.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 9:33 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:If he leaves then that just means Curry goes back to MVP form and the Warriors will actually start trying in games instead of playing so casual. It'll be like 2016 again, just hope Steph doesn't get a freak injury in the Playoffs again.

Who are they going to put into the Bogut, Barnes, Barbosa, and Speights spots?
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#19 » by Money_ » Wed Oct 3, 2018 10:06 pm

If KD wants to leave, I doubt he'll want to go play second fiddle to Lebron.
He probably wants to go to a team where he can be the top dog. NY, Brooklyn?

Plus, if he becomes a laker and lebron's team mate, I'll have to hate him for life.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#20 » by SFrush » Wed Oct 3, 2018 10:15 pm

Frozzy wrote:I'm just gonna enjoy this season as best I can and not worry about KD leaving. I'll always be thankful for KD coming here, couldn't have had it any better after that Finals meltdown in 2016.

Pretty much the way I look at it. Whether he stays or goes I'll always be appreciative we landed a generational talent like KD that helped us win 2(hopefully 3) titles.

Return to Golden State Warriors