Nico Mannion

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,479

Nico Mannion 

Post#1 » by azcatz11 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Do you guys think Nico is an NBA player? I kind of see elite college guard but not sure he has the athletic ability to make it to the league...thoughts?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Nico Mannion 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:56 pm

def a NBA player barring injury or what have you, my issue is more reading into how good he is going to be, I love his game but I got my concerns regarding how much is gonna translate, he is def got the PG chops and shooting ability to make it as a long-tenured back-up, no question
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#3 » by azcatz11 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Fischella wrote:def a NBA player barring injury or what have you, my issue is more reading into how good he is going to be, I love his game but I got my concerns regarding how much is gonna translate, he is def got the PG chops and shooting ability to make it as a long-tenured back-up, no question

Any concerns about his athleticism? Or do you think his length will cover that at all?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:04 am

I've become a massive fan of his. Love his feel for the game, love the potential with his jumper and have 0 concerns about athleticism.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#5 » by peachbucket » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:28 am

His dad is 6.7' and he looks like a late bloomer. If he grown another 3 inches then watch out cause everything else is there.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#6 » by Marcus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:18 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Do you guys think Nico is an NBA player? I kind of see elite college guard but not sure he has the athletic ability to make it to the league...thoughts?

what are your concerns with his athletic ability?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#7 » by azcatz11 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Marcus wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Do you guys think Nico is an NBA player? I kind of see elite college guard but not sure he has the athletic ability to make it to the league...thoughts?

He doesn't seem to be that springy or quick from the highlight vids I saw. I am about the furthest thing from an expert though as I've literally only seen highlight vids so please correct me if he is a good athlete... :D
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:41 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

He doesn't seem to be that springy or quick from the highlight vids I saw. I am about the furthest thing from an expert though as I've literally only seen highlight vids so please correct me if he is a good athlete... :D

I think he has plenty of hops for his size. The dude dunks with ease in game and he's only 6'3. One thing I noticed when watching full games and you can kind of see it in the highlights, he works very well in small spaces and can make some really quick moves. He has a really quick stepback, he can go from his hesitation move to driving really quick. No matter who has guarded him, Ive never really seen creating space as an issue for him.

Not the biggest fan of highlight videos for guys like Nico, but in this you can see how easily he can get up to throw it down and you can kind of see the quick movements in small spaces as well.

skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#9 » by skiz2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Nico is a player that you love on your team and hate if he is not on your team. He is extremely confident, loves to trash talk and embraces having a target on his back.

He is plenty athletic, very shifty and springy. Handles the ball well. One thing I look for in PGs is if they keep their head up. Lonzo Ball and Kendall Marshall were two of the best at it in college and Nico does it very well, though he is not to their level at it.

Three things that I want to see out of him:

1. Establish an identity. He is very good at many things, but he doesn't have a skill that stands out.
2. Strength, can he put on more?
3. Growth spurt, still young, could potentially grow some inches which would make him a bonafide NBA player

I like him, but I am not convinced as of now that he is an NBA player.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#10 » by peachbucket » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:38 am

skiz2 wrote:Nico is a player that you love on your team and hate if he is not on your team. He is extremely confident, loves to trash talk and embraces having a target on his back.

He is plenty athletic, very shifty and springy. Handles the ball well. One thing I look for in PGs is if they keep their head up. Lonzo Ball and Kendall Marshall were two of the best at it in college and Nico does it very well, though he is not to their level at it.

1. Establish an identity. He is very good at many things, but he doesn't have a skill that stands out.
3. Growth spurt, still young, could potentially grow some inches which would make him a bonafide NBA player

His dad played in the NBA and is 6'7" and his mom is a former pro volleyball player and a beast so I think there is a good shot he gets to at least 6'5" and putting on strength shouldn't be a problem. I think at 6"5" he will without a doubt be an NBA player and will probably go in the upper lottery. He reminds me of Gordon Hayward (especially if he grows a bit more)...not because he's white but because like you said he is good at everything without a standout skill.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#11 » by DirtyDez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Mike Bibby. Complete player but doesn’t have all nba/all star upside.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#12 » by Marcus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:16 pm

peachbucket wrote:
skiz2 wrote:Nico is a player that you love on your team and hate if he is not on your team. He is extremely confident, loves to trash talk and embraces having a target on his back.

His dad played in the NBA and is 6'7" and his mom is a former pro volleyball player and a beast so I think there is a good shot he gets to at least 6'5" and putting on strength shouldn't be a problem. I think at 6"5" he will without a doubt be an NBA player and will probably go in the upper lottery. He reminds me of Gordon Hayward (especially if he grows a bit more)...not because he's white but because like you said he is good at everything without a standout skill.

He's white?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Marcus wrote:
peachbucket wrote:

He's white?

As white as they come haha
Danny Ainge laughed at, at how white he is haha. (not a shot at Boston being racist or anything, just tried to think of the whitest guy I knew haha)
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#14 » by No-Man » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am

His dad is a mormon and had a long tenure in Europe, his mom is italian I believe, Nico plays for Italy and grew up there
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#15 » by Justwar » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Could be a decent backup but I believe has a negative wingspan and never seen a point with a negative wingspan succeed
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#16 » by Elrod is Back » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Justwar wrote:Could be a decent backup but I believe has a negative wingspan and never seen a point with a negative wingspan succeed

steph curry... 6-3 1/2 wingspan
kyrie irving...6-4 wingspan

both stand 6-2 barefoot

jj redick...6-3 1/4 wingspan...6-4 barefoot

wingspan is very important, but if a player has game and athletic ability, it won't prevent a good career. Sounds like Mannion could be legit even with a mediocre wingspan.
Justwar
Rookie

Post#17 » by Justwar » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 am

Still plus wingspans. Name quality negative wingspan point guards.
Elrod is Back
Starter

Post#18 » by Elrod is Back » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Justwar wrote:Still plus wingspans. Name quality negative wingspan point guards.

OK, you win. How long have you been practicing law?
Justwar
Rookie

Post#19 » by Justwar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:48 am

Nope just pointing out facts based on combine measurements
Elrod is Back
Starter

Post#20 » by Elrod is Back » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Justwar wrote:Nope just pointing out facts based on combine measurements