tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Kevin Love suffers hairline fracture to thumb 

Post#1 » by tundraknight » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Kevin Love Could Miss More Than One Month. 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:17 pm

Yeah I honestly think this plays a huge role in Lue being canned. I think Lue's best shot at turning it around quickly was Love as the 1st option with the young dogs like Nwaba Osman Nance and Sexton in the sl with Clarkson as the first scorer off the bench, but Lue's tight connection to some of the players like Thompson and Smith put him in a bad spot per favoritism knowing they were not part of the future here and clearly Lue was set on using them and whomever he thought gave him the best shot win this season while developing the youth was taking a backseat. I've come to the conclusion that Altman thinks the young core and the other youth movement on this roster gives the Cavs a better chance to win not less of one and deserves the pt and can play at a higher level than they could coming off the bench & will benefit from it going forward even without vets on the court with them but instead in their ears from the bench.
This move was also a red flag that the org might be content with throwing in the towel and hoping they keep their draft pick, which to me seems ludicrous given they are doing that for a prospect like Harrison Barnes or Wiggins level overhyped types imo in this draft.
But I don't think they are tanking at all... might still be in the 5-10 range with no coach and no improvement defensively but not in the 1-3 range.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:11 pm

I mean we're awful without Love so it's not like there's any choice. If the three main offensive weapons in your rotation are Clarkson, Cedi, and Hood, you're a bottom three team. You need all three of them to have a good shooting night, on the same night, to have a chance at winning. You can improve things a little by starting Nance instead of TT, but we're in for some ugly basketball.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#4 » by Trailbreaker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Forget losing on purpose, I still am going to root for us to win every night. I saw that Cavs tickets are finally lowering in price, so that's a good side of this.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:28 pm

I think right now we could have still conceivably won 35 games even if Hill and Korver got traded at the dl without Love missing a month.
But it's a stretch to assume the team will progress fast enough to win enough games before those trades for it to happen with Love out.
I think this entire situation is volatile depending on the locker room cancers that are likely to begin from disgruntled benched vets.
I give them a 25% chance of surprising and playing better than they have been if Drew uses a similar faster pace, Osman stops pressing, Sexton starts attacking, Hood starts attacking, Nance is the starter and keeps orchestrating and Zizic takes Thompsons minutes etc. I want Nwaba with Sexton in the sl over Hood with Clarkson off the bench for Nwaba when Hill comes in and Hood off the bench for Osman.This will make our sl better defensively and the 2nd unit more likely to capitalize offensively against the oppositions 2nd units.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:49 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:Forget losing on purpose, I still am going to root for us to win every night. I saw that Cavs tickets are finally lowering in price, so that's a good side of this.

When the box office cuts the prices by 50%, you're going to be able to get some great deals day of in the secondary market.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 2, 2018 9:39 pm

https://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/status-update-love-181102
6 weeks will probably turn into 8 imo.
might as well roll out the tank
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#8 » by Dupp » Sun Nov 4, 2018 5:55 am

We may be the worst team in the nba and loves contract may be the worst in the nba or soon to be. Rough times but I like bottoming out. I don’t trust management to get things right unfortunately.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 4, 2018 7:19 pm

Dupp wrote:We may be the worst team in the nba and loves contract may be the worst in the nba or soon to be. Rough times but I like bottoming out. I don’t trust management to get things right unfortunately.

how could Loves deal be soon the worst in the league? I guess if you mean if he never plays another meaningful game in for the duration of the deal, then yeah obviously it's a terrible situation. But that is highly highly unlikely given he had successful surgery and is projected back in 6-8 weeks. I think he will come back strong and get traded at this point.
Bottoming out is ok I guess at this point since their is clear locker room divisions and the vets are jealous they are being regarded as chumps by the org wanting to move forward etc. I think Drew will be soon to follow in the exit lane as he is starting to do much of the same thing Lue did playing the vets against Altman's wishes and it still not resulting in wins.
I say play the damn under 25 core even more and tank hard if you are going to move on from the old players, hell even to the point of moving them out of the rotation completely benching them all. Korver,Hill and Thompson as well. None of those guys are part of this roster going forward.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#10 » by Dupp » Sun Nov 4, 2018 7:59 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Dupp wrote:We may be the worst team in the nba and loves contract may be the worst in the nba or soon to be. Rough times but I like bottoming out. I don’t trust management to get things right unfortunately.

how could Loves deal be soon the worst in the league? I guess if you mean if he never plays another meaningful game in for the duration of the deal, then yeah obviously it's a terrible situation. But that is highly highly unlikely given he had successful surgery and is projected back in 6-8 weeks. I think he will come back strong and get traded at this point.
Bottoming out is ok I guess at this point since their is clear locker room divisions and the vets are jealous they are being regarded as chumps by the org wanting to move forward etc. I think Drew will be soon to follow in the exit lane as he is starting to do much of the same thing Lue did playing the vets against Altman's wishes and it still not resulting in wins.
I say play the damn under 25 core even more and tank hard if you are going to move on from the old players, hell even to the point of moving them out of the rotation completely benching them all. Korver,Hill and Thompson as well. None of those guys are part of this roster going forward.

In regards to love contract: He’s good but is already overpaid. He’s not worth that much. Mix in he’s always injured and I believe gonna age terribly. The last 2-3 years in the deal will be brutal.

On top of that he doesn’t fit our trajectory so the signing made no sense.

In regards to the team yeah we might as well full on commit to rebuild because we’re close to worse team in nba. Thompson shouldn’t get any sort of priority over nance for example.

I knew this team would bottom out like this. Last year was the worst Lebron led team I’ve seen since pre 2007. The names didn’t equate to what you’d expect compared to say the names inter 07 team, which was a much better team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 6:22 pm

Dupp wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

In regards to love contract: He’s good but is already overpaid. He’s not worth that much. Mix in he’s always injured and I believe gonna age terribly. The last 2-3 years in the deal will be brutal.

In regards to the team yeah we might as well full on commit to rebuild because we’re close to worse team in nba. Thompson shouldn’t get any sort of priority over nance for example.

I knew this team wouldn’t bottom out like this. Last year was the worst Lebron led team I’ve seen since pre 2007. The names didn’t equate to what you’d expect compared to say the names inter 07 team, which was a much better team.

I didn't have a problem extending Love but I have a big problem how the risk the team took with the extension was not reflected in his salary. Of course the Cavs aren't alone in this. You have teams extending would-be free agents, even RFAs, without getting any sort of discount. A *fair* salary would've been $20-25M all things considered.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 7, 2018 9:55 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Dupp wrote:
Stillwater wrote:how could Loves deal be soon the worst in the league? I guess if you mean if he never plays another meaningful game in for the duration of the deal, then yeah obviously it's a terrible situation. But that is highly highly unlikely given he had successful surgery and is projected back in 6-8 weeks. I think he will come back strong and get traded at this point.

I knew this team wouldn’t bottom out like this. Last year was the worst Lebron led team I’ve seen since pre 2007. The names didn’t equate to what you’d expect compared to say the names inter 07 team, which was a much better team.

I didn't have a problem extending Love but I have a big problem how the risk the team took with the extension was not reflected in his salary. Of course the Cavs aren't alone in this. You have teams extending would-be free agents, even RFAs, without getting any sort of discount. A *fair* salary would've been $20-25M all things considered.

I guess it was a slight overpay if he continues to be in street clothes off and on throughout the life of the contract, and a potentially big mistake if they wanted to but cannot trade him for justifiable assets next summer now that the path for this roster is grim without doing so if he can't stay on the court.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,056

Post#13 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:21 pm

Well, a tale as old as time. Hopefully he gets better soon because if the bench production/minutes was an issue before, sheesh, can't imagine JB's 2005 Suns rotation impersonation coming up.Image
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#14 » by TheLand13 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:43 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, a tale as old as time. Hopefully he gets better soon because if the bench production/minutes was an issue before, sheesh, can't imagine JB's 2005 Suns rotation impersonation coming up.Image

First off, please don't ever bump a thread with a title like this.

Second, this does hurt Cleveland pretty badly depending on how long he's out for. The good news is that he's considered day to day, so we have to wait and get more information first. But I'll give him this... he went all last year without sustaining any injuries. It was bound to happen eventually. But hopefully this is the only one he encounters.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers