ImageImageImageImageImage

Zach Lowe and Woj talk ‘pathetic’ Wizards on Lowe podcast

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Re: Zach Lowe and Woj talk ‘pathetic’ Wizards on Lowe podcast 

Post#41 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:37 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Its bad, but there is some upside with Wall. His strength/balance right now are absurd. He's mini Lebron and finishing through contact like never before. That, along with his improved defense and less iso 2's are enough for me to be okay with where he is. Again, he looks healthy and active on D while showing a MUCH better shot selection and ability to draw Fouls...I'll take it.

His 3 will settle back in to the low-mid 30% range and by seasons end will be a 5-7 PG in the NBA. We can live with that...

??

Wall is taking more 2 point shots this year than last. Yes, his 2 pt. % is at a career-high while his 3 pt.% is extremely low -- but, predicting that one of those shooting %s will return to the mean, but the other one won't doesn't make much sense to me.

Overall, the rest of what he's been doing is more or less on a par with last year -- some things down, some things up, but all in all about the same. Note, that's on a par w/ last year -- not 2016-17.

Top 5-7 PG in the NBA? What year was he that?

I assume you'd be making the claim for 2016-17, which was certainly his best year. But, that year, Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, Steph Curry, & Isaiah Thomas all put up better numbers than John did. No need to argue with me about that, just look at the numbers without cherry-picking the ones you like best.

That was his best year, & he was #8 (not to mention that you could argue that both Jeff Teague & Ricky Rubio put up numbers at least as good as John's -- but leave them out).

I hope he returns to that form. But, "hope" is the right word. Lets leave praising him as "mini-Lebron" for when he puts up some Lebron numbers. Even mini-Lebron numbers.

Note, I'm NOT criticizing John Wall, who is an outstanding player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#42 » by gtn130 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:52 pm

The thing is - we're talking about a very slight decrease in production for a team built around Wall that is already capped at about 46 wins. It's not like the Wizards can go sign somebody or turn Beal or Porter into something better. Everything rides on Wall being able to perform at his current clip - if he falls off even slightly then the franchise is basically tanked and would effectively be Detroit 2.0, so Wall's contract is especially high leverage for the Wizards considering the rest of the roster.

Of course, Wall won't necessarily start declining soon. It's possible he could be great until age 32 like Nate said, but I'd keep an eye on RWB this season. I suspect we're going to see a surprisingly early decline for him because of his style of play and the knees. I think Wall is basically in the same scenario there, although I'm not up to speed on the various knee injuries both have had.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#43 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:55 pm

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Its bad, but there is some upside with Wall. His strength/balance right now are absurd. He's mini Lebron and finishing through contact like never before. That, along with his improved defense and less iso 2's are enough for me to be okay with where he is. Again, he looks healthy and active on D while showing a MUCH better shot selection and ability to draw Fouls...I'll take it.

His 3 will settle back in to the low-mid 30% range and by seasons end will be a 5-7 PG in the NBA. We can live with that...

??

Wall is taking more 2 point shots this year than last. Yes, his 2 pt. % is at a career-high while his 3 pt.% is extremely low -- but, predicting that one of those shooting %s will return to the mean, but the other one won't doesn't make much sense to me.

Overall, the rest of what he's been doing is more or less on a par with last year -- some things down, some things up, but all in all about the same. Note, that's on a par w/ last year -- not 2016-17.

I assume you'd be making the claim for 2016-17, which was certainly his best year. But, that year, Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, Steph Curry, & Isaiah Thomas all put up better numbers than John did. No need to argue with me about that, just look at the numbers without cherry-picking the ones you like best.

That was his best year, & he was #8 (not to mention that you could argue that both Jeff Teague & Ricky Rubio put up numbers at least as good as John's -- but leave them out).

I hope he returns to that form. But, "hope" is the right word. Lets leave praising him as "mini-Lebron" for when he puts up some Lebron numbers. Even mini-Lebron numbers.

Shot selection matters and Wall's shot selection has been superb. He is taking a lot more shots from the rim and from the free throw line. That's why his 2P% is at a career high. He's not shooting from any particular spot on the floor all that much better, he is merely shooting from the right places. Look at his % of FGA by distance compared to career norms:

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#45 » by pcbothwel » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:42 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:

??

Shot selection matters and Wall's shot selection has been superb. He is taking a lot more shots from the rim and from the free throw line. That's why his 2P% is at a career high. He's not shooting from any particular spot on the floor all that much better, he is merely shooting from the right places. Look at his % of FGA by distance compared to career norms:

PIF, Nate said it best. Hes not making a bunch of 18 ft jumpers...that would be an outlier and unsustainable. He is getting the basket at will and he doesnt look nearly as wild and bouncing around.
Im sure it's "Possible" his 3 doesnt come back... but the sample size over the last 3 years indicates otherwise. Also, I didnt assume improvement or even equal to the 37% from last year. I said 35% would be enough.

Semantics, but I didnt mean top 5-7. I meant somewhere in 5-7 range. Top 4 are locked in
Curry, Paul, Lowry, and Westbrook are the top 4. No order
5-9 is Lillard, Wall, Walker, Irving, and Simmons. No order.

Now, you can argue that Wall is currently # 9 on that list, but I said seasons end. I dont see any young cat behind him climbing. And a couple in front have real questions moving forward.
1) Irving: Will his knee injurie(s) further deplete an already terrible defensive player.
2) Simmons: While Elite in time, does he have a sophomore slump as teams can game plan to limit his Profound strengths by exposing his profound shooting weakness.
3) CP3: Turning 34 with constant injury problems, does his ranking take a hit as his true impact is limited.
I.E. How valuable is an elite player that gets you 55 wins if they miss key playoff games?
18: Missed games 6/7 vs GSW
17: Bad against Jazz
16: Missed games 6/7 vs POR
15: Missed games 1/2... and then bad in 3 of 5 games vs HOU

Thats 4 straight years. BTW, Not rhetorical...serious calculation of value question.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#46 » by Induveca » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Would Lakers take Beal for Ingram? With LeBron it’s possible.

Caldwell-Pope is simply awful. With Kuzma kicking ass it’s worth to at least explore. Also the NC connection may be a good thing for Wall.

I have high hopes for Ingram, I realize I may be in the minority.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#47 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Induveca wrote:Would Lakers take Beal for Ingram? With LeBron it’s possible.

Caldwell-Pope is simply awful. With Kuzma kicking ass it’s worth to at least explore. Also the NC connection may be a good thing for Wall.

Yes. I think they would.

I'm not so sure what's in it for us though. I suppose we could consider it just to mix up the chemistry a bit, but I really don't see the point of getting younger and less experienced when we're building around Wall.

I'd much rather trade Wall for Lonzo + KCP's expiring.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#48 » by pcbothwel » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:09 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yes. I think they would.

I'm no so sure what's in it for us though. I suppose we could consider it just to mix up the chemistry a bit, but I really don't see the point of getting younger and less experienced when we're building around Wall.

Agree...
But....
I would think about a Beal & Oubre for Ingram, Hart, KCP deal...
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#49 » by Induveca » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 am

nate33 wrote:

Yes. I think they would.

I'm not so sure what's in it for us though. I suppose we could consider it just to mix up the chemistry a bit, but I really don't see the point of getting younger and less experienced when we're building around Wall.

Don’t disagree, but Lakers aren’t that foolish sadly. But you know they’ll be making some deals in a few months.

I’d much rather just trade Porter for Butler however. But that’s too logical.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#50 » by Dark Faze » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:38 pm

the question is how ernie can justify letting both Kieff and Oubre walk over money with the team performing this way

not that I want to keep Kieff mind you, or even Oubre if the price is too high, but the players that may walk due to the salary bill...might as well just blow it up without any depth
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#51 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:47 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm not so sure what's in it for us though. I suppose we could consider it just to mix up the chemistry a bit, but I really don't see the point of getting younger and less experienced when we're building around Wall.

I'm also not necessarily sold on Ingram. He's like Kevin Durant without the shooting. And his antics during the Paul/Rondo dispute make me question his maturity a bit. He's clearly an NBA player who belongs in the league and is pretty good but I'm not sure I actually see a star there. He has the potential but potential isn't all there is too it.

I do believe the Lakers would make that trade, though. Things are starting to go real bad for them and the odds of pulling in a max player next offseason are better with both Lebron and Beal on a potentially winning team than they are on a dysfunctional team that misses the playoffs with Lebron stealing the spotlight. I also think that Beal would fit in wonderfully with Lebron, Ball and Hart on the perimeter. Then again, I thought the Lakers were foolish for not pulling the trigger on a Kawhi Leonard trade after they signed Lebron and I still do. Yes, the Spurs were asking for the moon but so what? Lebron and Kawhi would be amazing and depending on the rumor you believe they'd still have Lonzo, Rondo, KCP and Stephenson as the start of a supporting cast they could try to build on next offseason. The Lakers obviously don't always do what I think they should.
Bucket! Bucket!
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,182

Post#52 » by djsunyc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:51 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yes. I think they would.

any midseason deal for the lakers would take them out of the kawhi/durant hunt. i don't think they do it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#53 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:22 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm not so sure what's in it for us though. I suppose we could consider it just to mix up the chemistry a bit, but I really don't see the point of getting younger and less experienced when we're building around Wall.

I'm also not necessarily sold on Ingram. He's like Kevin Durant without the shooting. And his antics during the Paul/Rondo dispute make me question his maturity a bit. He's clearly an NBA player who belongs in the league and is pretty good but I'm not sure I actually see a star there. He has the potential but potential isn't all there is too it.

I do believe the Lakers would make that trade, though. Things are starting to go real bad for them and the odds of pulling in a max player next offseason are better with both Lebron and Beal on a potentially winning team than they are on a dysfunctional team that misses the playoffs with Lebron stealing the spotlight. I also think that Beal would fit in wonderfully with Lebron, Ball and Hart on the perimeter. Then again, I thought the Lakers were foolish for not pulling the trigger on a Kawhi Leonard trade after they signed Lebron and I still do. Yes, the Spurs were asking for the moon but so what? Lebron and Kawhi would be amazing and depending on the rumor you believe they'd still have Lonzo, Rondo, KCP and Stephenson as the start of a supporting cast they could try to build on next offseason. The Lakers obviously don't always do what I think they should.

Could they afford a max contract after adding Beal?

Lebron, Beal and Ball alone would combine for $73M. They'd also have $14M in other contracts, plus their draft pick, plus another $4M or so in vet minimum cap holds.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#54 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:41 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yes. I think they would.

lonzo and kuzma for wall, morris, and beal and KCP expiring. perfect trade to trick lebron into thinking he can win now. lakers might be stupid enough to think wall, morris, and beal are enough...give them porter if they want him.

bottom line...start over. get young players that will share the ball.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#55 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:42 pm

nate33 wrote:Lebron, Beal and Ball alone would combine for $73M. They'd also have $14M in other contracts, plus their draft pick, plus another $4M or so in vet minimum cap holds.

Right, I forgot my math a bit. They'd have about another max salary if they dumped Ball, too, but not if they kept him. They'd have just over $87 million in salary with Ball, plus their pick, plus minimum salary cap holds, with a projected cap of ~$109 million. Honestly, Beal's salary works out to a little less than the max for next season, though, so he's easier to fit in. Moving Lonzo and a bit of salary and they could have Lebron, Beal and Kemba Walker next offseason, or something like that. I very much don't think they're going to get Kawhi Leonard but they could be right in the mix otherwise. And hot damn should they have traded for Kawhi. Other teams are desperately trying to give centers away. They probably could have added Whiteside for a song to bail Miami out of what will be a massive tax bill.
Bucket! Bucket!
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#56 » by barelyawake » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:16 pm

But, leadership doesn’t show-up on the stat sheet? But, we have Jeff Green to calm things down.

It’s funny, John Wall (and I on his behalf) have only wanted a star big since forever, and now that we have less of one than ever before, people are attacking Wall. I said the first few games would be tough, so we needed to trade for a leader to get ya through this spot. Well, we still need that leader and we still need Howard healthy. We do that, things will correct themselves. At minimum, trade for Tristan and get Howard back. That will fix the defense, rebounding and let us win against the teams we should. Trade Rivers. Play Sato and Oubre more. This was predictable and is fixable. Gotta do it soon.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#57 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:42 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yes. I think they would.

I can't imagine Lebron wanting to play with Wall. Stylistically, they'd be at each other's throats - both wanting to run the offense. It worked with Wade playing with Lebron, because Wade was an all-time great and an amazing clutch player. Once Lebron signed with LAL, that ended any and all chances of Wall being traded there, imo
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#58 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Yes. I think they would.

I can't imagine Lebron wanting to play with Wall. Stylistically, they'd be at each other's throats - both wanting to run the offense. It worked with Wade playing with Lebron, because Wade was an all-time great and an amazing clutch player. Once Lebron signed with LAL, that ended any and all chances of Wall being traded there, imo

I dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if Lebron was looking to extend his career by playing off the ball a little more and taking some offensive possessions off. He continues to improve his post game and his 3-point shot so he certainly can do things without having the ball at the point of attack.

But in reality, I agree with you that Wall to LA is unlikely. It's not so much because he's a bad fit with Lebron, but because LA has a chance at getting someone better than Wall for the same money without sacrificing any assets.

I think the window to send Wall to the Lakers would have been this past summer if they had managed to acquire Kawhi and they were then looking for a 3rd star to join them. Wall's low cap number this season would have made him an attractive trade target.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#59 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm

barelyawake wrote:But, leadership doesn’t show-up on the stat sheet? But, we have Jeff Green to calm things down.

It’s funny, John Wall (and I on his behalf) have only wanted a star big since forever, and now that we have less of one than ever before, people are attacking Wall. I said the first few games would be tough, so we needed to trade for a leader to get ya through this spot. Well, we still need that leader and we still need Howard healthy. We do that, things will correct themselves. At minimum, trade for Tristan and get Howard back. That will fix the defense, rebounding and let us win against the teams we should. Trade Rivers. Play Sato and Oubre more. This was predictable and is fixable. Gotta do it soon.

Interesting thought on Tristan. He'd be a good fit here. The problem is, we can't absorb any additional salary this year or next year because of the luxtax. Which means, the only way to trade him is to send out Mahinmi in the process and I don't see Cleveland agreeing to that unless we include incentive.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#60 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:12 pm

It's starting to feel like outlets are unnecessarily piling-on at this point.

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards