Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,531

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1301 » by HornetJail » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:51 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:me right now seeing that Ichiro posted that:

Would you stuff your balls back in your pants if I added a qualifier? MKG's contract has slightly positive value. Slightly.

it's too late. it's out in the open
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#1302 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:01 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:me right now seeing that Ichiro posted that:

Would you stuff your balls back in your pants if I added a qualifier? MKG's contract has slightly positive value. Slightly.

it's too late. it's out in the open

:lol:
It has been written...
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,735

Post#1303 » by Diop » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:05 am

tondi123 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't MKG have a player option for next season? If he ends up having a decent season does he opt out and would we want him to or exercise his option? Its been a foregone conclusion he would exercise the player option prior to this season but he's definitely playing better.

i was hoping that they could negotiate him into a newer cheaper contract.

losing a couple of mill for a new 4 year contract isn't bad business
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1304 » by euphorbus » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:19 pm

This is the fourth season I have watched Kidd-Gilchrist, although the first of those he only played seven games. I had no idea he could drive to the basket with consistency and hit layups, short jumpers, runners, hook shots, or what have you. It burns me up to think that under the previous coach, none of that potential came through.

This guy is hitting .536 from the field, with a .582 TS%. Plus, he is the third leading rebounder per 36 minutes, even ahead of Cody Zeller. Earlier this month, I said to trade him, but no more.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,033

Post#1305 » by JDR720 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 7:57 pm

MKG is shooting 40% on threes this season (6-15) he made 7 total threes his previous seasons combined.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#1306 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Dec 6, 2018 8:31 pm

MKG hitting a 3 here and there is such a bonus, he should have been doing this years ago.

I remember reading last season that Cliff tried to get MKG to shoot more 3s early in his tenure with us and MKG simply refused. Assuming that story was accurate, I wonder what caused the change (aside from common sense). Maybe JB laid down the law. In the past he'd float just inside the arc, now he's where he should have been all along.

It would be great if he could get progressively more comfortable and keep shooting a respectable %.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#1307 » by Braggins » Thu Dec 6, 2018 9:29 pm

I think 30 made 3s would be a reasonable goal for him this year. Something like 30/80.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#1308 » by SWedd523 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:26 am

Hornet Mania wrote:MKG hitting a 3 here and there is such a bonus, he should have been doing this years ago.

I remember reading last season that Cliff tried to get MKG to shoot more 3s early in his tenure with us and MKG simply refused. Assuming that story was accurate, I wonder what caused the change (aside from common sense). Maybe JB laid down the law. In the past he'd float just inside the arc, now he's where he should have been all along.

It would be great if he could get progressively more comfortable and keep shooting a respectable %.

Here and there as in at a rate than is almost imperceptible. At a rate that no other team even mentions it when scouting and coming up with a defensive scheme.

Kemba has more blocks on the season (9) than MKG has made threes (6), when do we start talking about his improving post defense?
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#1309 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:38 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:MKG hitting a 3 here and there is such a bonus, he should have been doing this years ago.

Here and there as in at a rate than is almost imperceptible. At a rate that no other team even mentions it when scouting and coming up with a defensive scheme.

Kemba has more blocks on the season (9) than MKG has made threes (6), when do we start talking about his improving post defense?

I get what you're saying, but I actually think his number of 3pt attempts is just about perfect at the moment. I prefer MKG at the 4/5 mixing it up in the paint, good things always seem to happen while he's scrapping down there, the 3s are just sorta icing on the cake. If he attempts just two of those long balls per game, and keeps hitting at a decent rate, defenses will be forced to honor it eventually.
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#1310 » by tondi123 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:25 pm

Its a good sign that he isn't taking any bad 3s. They always come within the flow of the offense and when he's open. If that happens once or twice a game then that's all he should take.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1311 » by catch20two » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:40 pm

I wish he would’ve been taken this step of attempting 3pters years ago. He used to attempt 3s in high school, college, and pickup ball games during the offseason so I never understood why he was so much against it for us.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1312 » by DY_nasty » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:13 pm

his arm fell off twice ffs
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,531

Post#1313 » by HornetJail » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:20 am

I've said it for a while, but that feels like a coaching issue more than a personnel issue. I don't think it should come as a shock that Zeller and MKG both started shooting this year. For the last 3-4 years, both MKG and Zeller should've been taking wide open threes when they catch a pass in rhythm. We saw them attempt them in the preseason every year and then the regular season would come around and they'd go like 0-3 in the first week and basically not take them again all season.

How many times did we see MKG pass up open, potentially in rhythm threes with no defenders within 12 feet of him in years past? Once per game? Well, he's shooting roughly one per game this year and is at 40%. If he continues making those open threes, teams will notice. I don't need him turning into Josh Smith or Marcus Smart, but I would be really happy if he attempted 100 of them this year and finished above 30%. After that, you kind of have to pay attention to him.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#1314 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Not being discussed much, but I do think this is a question. Sure, he probably doesn't get $13M anywhere else, but he's only 25 and the team has effectively moved on (perhaps trying to push him to opt out) with even younger pieces. If "happiness" really is the main determinant, then he'll probably look elsewhere. Especially with a kid apparently on the way, perhaps he may prefer long-term security. Early opt-in date of June 22.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#1315 » by Benjamin Linus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 pm

It would be fcking amazing if MKG declined his player option

I could be way off because there's always these random players that get these contracts that blow my mind but I can't imagine some team offering MKG much more than like 7 million a season
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1316 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Benjamin Linus wrote:It would be fcking amazing if MKG declined his player option

I could be way off because there's always these random players that get these contracts that blow my mind but I can't imagine some team offering MKG much more than like 7 million a season

I agree with all this ... but the real question is 'can MKG make more money long term on his next contract if he opts out now?'

For example a 3 year 7 mil contract this summer for a guy who might be a starter vs a 3 year 2 mil contract next summer if he comes off the bench for Charlotte a 2nd straight year solidifying his status as a 2nd unit guy.

In his shoes I would probably opt in, but I don't see it as 100% cut and dry.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1317 » by DY_nasty » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:20 am

i hope he retires

mkg with no motor is just dominic mcquire
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,033

Post#1318 » by JDR720 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:27 am

I dont think MKG cares about money. I think a new kid actually makes it more likely he stays, probably doesn't want to uproot his family so soon.
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#1319 » by Splitta » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:55 am

Seems like MKG is a nice guy and probably is a good teammate but it would be good if he opted out for the Hornets sake and us fans. Just does not have the NBA game that the Hornets need for a SF.
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#1320 » by tondi123 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Ideally he opts out and we resign him for a third of what we are currently on the hook to pay him. That ain't happening though.

Return to Charlotte Hornets