ImageImageImage

Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Since these threads have been combined who you got at 5

Culver
43%
Sekou
4%
Hunter
14%
Hayes
4%
Porter K
7%
Garland
7%
Bitdatze
4%
White
No votes
Bol
7%
other
11%

Total votes: 28

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated) 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 4, 2018 1:59 am

I hate doing this this soon, but it looks inevitable

The top tier prospects are Barrett,Little & maybe Reddish with Williamson,Langford & maybe Garland a step back.
Other most likely potential lottery picked prospects in the 5 and after range are Bol Bol, Doumboya,Grimes,King,Kevin Porter and a few sophomores in Hachimura, Hunter,Gafford,Wilkes and maybe Culver.
I think some that potentially better than ranked now and could leapfrog some of the others are Charles Bassey, Jaylen Hoard, Keldon Johnson,Darius Bazley,Jalen Smith ,Naz Reid and maybe Tre Jones.
It's a weak draft so if we are going to tank we better get a damn top 3 pick

--------we didn't unfortunately and oh how things changed for preseason ranking of Reddish Langford etc.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,913

Re: tank thread/ draft watch 

Post#2 » by tundraknight » Sun Nov 4, 2018 2:20 am

Stillwater wrote:I hate doing this this soon, but it looks inevitable

Well this thread could be good timing in a way because College Basketball starts next week!!

Which means you can watch and scout intriguing prospects all season!

I’m definitely going to catch the Duke vs UNC games with possibly the Top 4 Picks all playing in the same game.

I enjoyed the “Nets Pick Watch” thread we had last season even though several of those Nets games almost gave me a heart attack, and we obviously hoped the pick would’ve been higher than #8 overall.

But I agree I’m really hoping for a Top 3 Pick.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#3 » by gflem » Sun Nov 4, 2018 3:30 pm

We better end up in the top 3. This team has no star and nobody that can consistently create for themselves or others. I dont trust the FO to find a star player in the draft, that player will have to fall in their lap ala Kryrie.
It is telling to me that the FO actually thought that they could compete for a playoff spot with this team. I just hope it was that Kobe didnt want to tell the emperor (Dan) that he had no clothes. At least I trusted David Griffin to make moves and be a voice of reason to Dan, I just dont think Kobe has the ability (or maybe the balls?) to tell Dan what he doesnt want to hear.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:04 pm

gflem wrote:We better end up in the top 3. This team has no star and nobody that can consistently create for themselves or others. I dont trust the FO to find a star player in the draft, that player will have to fall in their lap ala Kryrie.
It is telling to me that the FO actually thought that they could compete for a playoff spot with this team. I just hope it was that Kobe didnt want to tell the emperor (Dan) that he had no clothes. At least I trusted David Griffin to make moves and be a voice of reason to Dan, I just dont think Kobe has the ability (or maybe the balls?) to tell Dan what he doesnt want to hear.

I don't agree with that latter part of your speculations regarding Altman or the direction of the team at the beginning of the season etc as they certainly have the skill individually from top to bottom to be a 7th or 8th seed with a healthy Love who hurt his foot in the first pre season game btw which was known and so although at that time it was unknown how bad Loves injury would be, not striving for that playoff spot would not only kill moral of the youth core etc It would mean they lied to Love when he signed the deal.
Now that Love is officially out for awhile, it's easy to justify tanking. I think going the route of playing the likes of Nance and JC off the bench instead of in the sl means they are not interested in devaluing Hill and Thompson as secondary options for trade purposes etc...meanwhile as a result Sexton gets to play with others that will be here long term.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by tundraknight » Mon Nov 5, 2018 3:48 am

Suns and Wizards both won today.

Cavaliers now stand alone with the worst record in the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 5, 2018 10:34 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251578/Larry-Drew-Agrees-To-Deal-With-Cavaliers
Drew is it this season, got a lot of balls taking this gig right now.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Tue Nov 6, 2018 7:50 pm

Thought I would throw a couple names out there of prospects Cavs might be keyed in on that could be gems in the 2nd round if picks are acquired via Korver and other trades this season.
Sedee Keita Forward So, South Carolina transfer now @ St.Johns this seasons after sitting out a year.( was a big part of their run to the final 4 with Thornwell)
Elijah Hughes Wing So, ECU transfer now @ Syracuse
Admiral Schofield Forward Sen Tennessee
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 7, 2018 2:33 pm

I think this roster after the last game showed it's going to start winning a little more than required to be in full tank mode or land the top 2 by record ...will require a lottery ball going their way
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by tundraknight » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:11 pm

Barrett with 33 points and 6 assists in his college debut.

Read on Twitter

He just flat out knows how to score the basketball, plays good defense, and has a high motor/very competitive.

Zion Williamson also looking like a monster.
Read on Twitter
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by tundraknight » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:18 pm

Stillwater wrote:I think this roster after the last game showed it's going to start winning a little more than required to be in full tank mode or land the top 2 by record ...will require a lottery ball going their way

We’re going to need lottery balls to go in our favor regardless. Because the 3 worst teams will have the same odds for the Top 3 picks.

Here is the like for the new reformed lottery odds for those who don’t know.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

We just need to be one of the 3 worst teams.

But.. There is still a slight incentive to have the worst record overall, as you are guaranteed a Top 5 Pick, 2nd worst record is guaranteed a Top 6 pick, 3rd worst record is guaranteed a Top 7 Pick, and so on..
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:29 pm

This is my early Cavs big board
1 Barrett
2 Williamson
3 Little
4 Reddish
5 Grimes
6 Langford
7 Johnson
8 Doumbouya
9 Gafford
10 Wilkes
11 K.Porter
12 Reid
13 Hunter
14 Bassey
15 Hacimura
16 Bol Bol
17 Garland
18 Hoard
19 Paschall
20 Morant
21 Simi S.
22 Culver
23 Brissett
24 Samanic
25 H. Jones
26 Wiggington
27 Jalen SMith
28 Fernando
29 Kanate
30 Bazley
-----
31 Matthews
32 King
33 Herro
34 Montgomery
35 Ponds
36 Edwards
37 Bitadze
38 Wooten
39 Hands
40 Holman
41 Silva
42 J Porter
43 Hughes
44 McDaniels
45 Wiley
46 Alexander-Walker
47 Keita
48 Washington
49 Schofield
50 Wheatherspoon
51 Mann
52 T Jones
53 Battle
54 Heron
55 Norvell
56 Sneed
57 Chukwu
58 Cam Johnson
59 Thybulle
60 Winston
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:30 pm

tundraknight wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think this roster after the last game showed it's going to start winning a little more than required to be in full tank mode or land the top 2 by record ...will require a lottery ball going their way

We’re going to need lottery balls to go in our favor regardless. Because the 3 worst teams will have the same odds for the Top 3 picks.

Here is the like for the new reformed lottery odds for those who don’t know.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

We just need to be one of the 3 worst teams.

But.. There is still a slight incentive to have the worst record overall, as you are guaranteed a Top 5 Pick, 2nd worst record is guaranteed a Top 6 pick, 3rd worst record is guaranteed a Top 7 Pick, and so on..

Right and to make matters wore the top 4 picks picks are now part of the lottery drawing not just the top 3.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by tundraknight » Thu Nov 8, 2018 11:27 pm

Koby Altman was in attendance at the Duke vs Kentucky game scouting Dukes Big 3.

https://cavsnation.com/cavs-news-koby-altman-had-eyes-trained-rj-barrett-zion-williamson-cam-reddish-debut/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 8, 2018 11:47 pm

^ I'm sure he was there to watch Grimes in the first game & Johnson on KY as well.There was a lot of top ranked prospects at the BLF this week
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#15 » by Dupp » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:35 am

This is my kinda thread
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by tundraknight » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Stillwater wrote:Thought I would throw a couple names out there of prospects Cavs might be keyed in on that could be gems in the 2nd round if picks are acquired via Korver and other trades this season.

Yeah the Korver trade rumors have been heating up yet again.

Supposedly multiple teams are also interested in trading for Kevin Love. I know he can’t be traded yet but here’s the link.

https://clutchpoints.com/multiple-teams-interested-in-trading-for-kevin-love-this-season/

I know this is wishful thinking but I would love to find a way to get another lottery pick via trade.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#17 » by Stillwater » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:37 am

^ I would not be surprised if Korver is moved in the next couple of weeks tbh. Obviously Love could be moved at the deadline if somebody can orchestrate a fair return , but I think Next summer seems more likely if at all.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:30 pm

I'm now on the fence as to if this team will be bad enough even without Love,Hill,Korver and Osman to be one of the worst teams in the league and that includes step backs from deadline trades included (Korver Hill) as none of the players in the rotation against Charlotte sans Smith are getting moved imo. Yes Charlotte cam out flat, but Sexton played very well against Walker which to me is very telling about the projections. The TT Nance front court actually looks pretty solid and the addition of Nwaba in more expanded role made a big difference on the defensive end. Hood is on fire, Clarkson is lighting it up etc.
We shall see but if they continue to play as well as they did last night going forward they could theoretically still be a 35 win team.
and the draft pick won't mean much at all barring the lottery drawing. Would love to see them add a Barrett or Little or Zion to this roster for long-term improvement though and I'm not sold any other players in the lottery can make that kind of impact in the pros.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by tundraknight » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:18 am

The Suns just won their 3rd game of the season.

The Cavaliers once again take the overall lead in the Tank Race.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:19 pm

There is no way they tank as a organization sans the moving of vets already hurt or not playing,or past prime, like Hill,Korver Smith etc that alone wouldn't really guarantee they are worse going forward esp once Love comes back unless all they get back for Hill is draft assets for bad contract return.
I'm leaning towards all they are going to be doing as far as player movement is giving Korver a opportunity to play for a contender for a 3rd year player who's option wasn't picked up example Korkmaz or Chriss and at least 1 higher 2nd.
And maybe if a org gives up a late lottery to mid first likely pick in 2020 Not in 19 for taking a 2-3 yr locked up rotation player under 25 that is considered overpaid, I don't think Hill gets moved as retaing him would seem more likely for less return

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers