ImageImage

OT | Cars

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Re: OT | Cars 

Post#301 » by MissKhriddleton » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:27 am

Looking to get a car this weekend and I have no idea what I'm doing. Need it for work so don't really have a lot of time to shop around. Honestly don't really care about make/model/color - the quality I care most about is reliability. I get anxiety when having to take my car in to get looked at. Breaking down on the side of the road is my worst nightmare.

Does anyone ever recommend buying new? I feel like the age old advice is a car depreciates the second its driven off the lot blah blah, but knowing that a car had never been driven before and therefore would theoretically be able to drive without any major maintenance for awhile would give me so much peace of mind.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#302 » by BMatt07 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:35 am

Looking forward to checking out the Hyundai Veloster N, looks like a fun little hatchback.

Hyundai poached Albert Biermann from BMW to design the car from the ground up, he was in charge of the BMW M Performance Division.

It's a little bit of an older review posted below from when the car was first shown publicly earlier this year, but damn does this car look fun to drive.

SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Post#303 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:54 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:Looking to get a car this weekend and I have no idea what I'm doing. Need it for work so don't really have a lot of time to shop around. Honestly don't really care about make/model/color - the quality I care most about is reliability. I get anxiety when having to take my car in to get looked at. Breaking down on the side of the road is my worst nightmare.

Does anyone ever recommend buying new? I feel like the age old advice is a car depreciates the second its driven off the lot blah blah, but knowing that a car had never been driven before and therefore would theoretically be able to drive without any major maintenance for awhile would give me so much peace of mind.

What's your budget?
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#304 » by ackypoo » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:00 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:Looking to get a car this weekend and I have no idea what I'm doing. Need it for work so don't really have a lot of time to shop around. Honestly don't really care about make/model/color - the quality I care most about is reliability. I get anxiety when having to take my car in to get looked at. Breaking down on the side of the road is my worst nightmare.

get a toyota corolla/camry or a buick.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach

Post#305 » by MissKhriddleton » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:02 am

SupremeHustle wrote:

What's your budget?

Around 15K.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#306 » by TroyD92 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:07 am

If you don't mind the maintenance a german car would be good too. You just have to be very diligent about doing maintenance.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#307 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:12 am

Consider a relatively new Corolla or Sonata. Both are pretty reliable and you should be able to get them with low-ish miles on them.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,226

Post#308 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:19 am

A good friend of mine owns an auto repair shop. He always recommends a late model Corolla as a good bang for your buck. He says in general Toyota's and Subaru's are reliable, stay away from Hyundais.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#309 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:38 am

MickeyDavis wrote:A good friend of mine owns an auto repair shop. He always recommends a late model Corolla as a good bang for your buck. He says in general Toyota's and Subaru's are reliable, stay away from Hyundais.

I thought the new Hyundais were said to be pretty good and they have great warranties. I was thinking about test driving one of their Genesis models after hearing good thing about it. The G70.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,226

Post#310 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:01 am

I love Genesis. Never owned one though. Yet
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#311 » by sdn40 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:13 am

And weirdly enough, my mechanic says to stay away from Subaru's. Expensive repairs. According to him - Jeeps are the biggest pieces of you know what on the planet.

As a side note - I recently had a nightmare on my Audi A4. Excessive oil in the downtubes. And by excessive, I mean they would fill to the top in a month. Occasional pure white plumes of smoke purge out the tailpipe that was embarrassing beyond belief and would extend for a mile if on the highway. Lastly, under hard acceleration it would sometimes sound like a collapsed lifter chattering away and the engine would fall on it's face. I'll give you guys some time to figure out the cause - but I bet you can't. And no it wasn't the turbo - although we replaced it out of desperation.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#312 » by Chapter29 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 10:57 am

MickeyDavis wrote:A good friend of mine owns an auto repair shop. He always recommends a late model Corolla as a good bang for your buck. He says in general Toyota's and Subaru's are reliable, stay away from Hyundais.

And Honda's but yep that's really the 3. Subaru's really hold value and aren't always a bargain though.

On my Subaru front, I have gone from ~240whp to 400whp in my STI. :)
Giannis
is
UponUs
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach

Post#313 » by MissKhriddleton » Thu Nov 8, 2018 11:48 am

SupremeHustle wrote:

I thought the new Hyundais were said to be pretty good and they have great warranties. I was thinking about test driving one of their Genesis models after hearing good thing about it. The G70.

The reason I brought up buying new is because a 2018 Elantra goes for about 14K after rebates and such which seems crazy. I thought I heard they were just as reliable as Toyota. A 2 year old Camry/Corolla with 30,000 miles goes for more than that.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant

Post#314 » by ackypoo » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:18 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:

hyundais are better than they used to be. by a lot. new hyundais are fairly reliable, or so im told. i went to go test drive a g80 and i couldnt get in it. im large.

MickeyDavis wrote:I love Genesis. Never owned one though. Yet

the g70 and g80 are both gorgeous.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant

Post#315 » by ackypoo » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:20 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

The reason I brought up buying new is because a 2018 Elantra goes for about 14K after rebates and such which seems crazy. I thought I heard they were just as reliable as Toyota. A 2 year old Camry/Corolla with 30,000 miles goes for more than that.

according to consumer reports, the 2017 is very reliable. 2018 not as much.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#316 » by Chapter29 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:36 pm

From a coolness perspective I do really like the Genesis. From a reliability perspective I feel that we need more long term data to really know. I too have heard that their quality has much improved but we need to see how these new models age.
Giannis
is
UponUs
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,315

Post#317 » by jute2003 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:22 pm

sdn40 wrote:And weirdly enough, my mechanic says to stay away from Subaru's. Expensive repairs. According to him - Jeeps are the biggest pieces of you know what on the planet.

As a side note - I recently had a nightmare on my Audi A4. Excessive oil in the downtubes. And by excessive, I mean they would fill to the top in a month. Occasional pure white plumes of smoke purge out the tailpipe that was embarrassing beyond belief and would extend for a mile if on the highway. Lastly, under hard acceleration it would sometimes sound like a collapsed lifter chattering away and the engine would fall on it's face. I'll give you guys some time to figure out the cause - but I bet you can't. And no it wasn't the turbo - although we replaced it out of desperation.
Subarus can be expensive to maintain and repair but are generally reliable.

Jeeps are horribly unreliable. I got fed up with my Wrangler and got rid of it. It was a 2016 so 8 years into the current model and 4 years with that particular engine and there were still soooooo many common problems. That **** should be unacceptable. The good thing was that they hold their value so well that I didn't lose anything on it.
only a fan, only an opinion
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,315

Post#318 » by jute2003 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:23 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

I'd bet on the Carolla still aging better.
only a fan, only an opinion
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#319 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 8, 2018 9:37 pm

Harley is rolling out an electric bike in 2019 and it's sexy as hell.

jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#320 » by jschligs » Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:21 am

jute2003 wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

I'd bet on the Carolla still aging better.

My family has had Honda Accords for decades, most, if not all, have lasted a very very long time.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks