Darius Garland

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Darius Garland 

Post#1 » by doordoor123 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:31 pm

I went to the Vanderbilt/USC game last night and Garland really stood out. His jumpshot has one of the most beautiful arcs I’ve seen in college basketball. Every time he shoots the ball it looks like it’s going in. I won’t be surprised if he’s a 90% free throw shooter this year. He’s super quick with a great first step and super shifty. I saw him slip a double team at least twice. He also has a ton of potential as a finisher around the rim, he has great body control and looks for contact around the basket.

Negatives I would say he looks skinny and is at best an average defender in his prime, but not much of a defender right now. He has playmaking ability, but rushes the game at times and has a few messy possessions.

He’s a top 10 pick to me, I’m super impressed with him. He outshines Kevin Porter, who I think is more raw than I previously thought.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Re: Darius Garland 

Post#2 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:12 pm

is he the best point gaurd in the draft? i like his potential fit with orlando in the top 10
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#3 » by nolang1 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:17 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:is he the best point gaurd in the draft? i like his potential fit with orlando in the top 10

I've thought so for the past year or so, but this point guard class isn't too good. His distribution ability is better than his assist:to numbers indicate at this point, but that's not saying a lot. The shooting is legit, and his handle and quickness are good enough to get around players who press up on him.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:18 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:is he the best point gaurd in the draft? i like his potential fit with orlando in the top 10

He's the top PG right now.

I like Orlando, New York and Chicago as his best landing spots in the top 10 if he goes that high.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:06 pm

I like Garland, but I think him going that high could be a mistake, he has gotten comps to Trae Young on purely shooting ability, and that's fine, but he is nowhere near the same level of PG and he is longer and tad more athletic, I don't think Garland can carry an offensive load as a go-to-Guard to be drafted that guy, like, how is he that much better than Carsen Edwards for example? he flashed some play-making in transition in the MAA, but he is more of an off-ball Guard to me, which is good and useful, and probably the best small Guard in this class still, but more of a late teens guy to me atm
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#6 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:45 pm

I would compare Darius more to Steph than Trae, body-wise and game-wise at this point in their respective careers. I really like Darius, perhaps, because I remember his dad playing for the Warriors when I was a kid. :lol:

Pretty sure it will be him or Ja Morant for first PG off the board.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#7 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:19 pm

As an alum - ANCHOR DOWN.

Read on Twitter
Shy Gorgeous-Al
Junior
And1: 299

Post#8 » by Shy Gorgeous-Al » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:As an alum - ANCHOR DOWN.

Read on Twitter

I was trying my hardest to get a Deep Dives with video function from Synergy and they just denied it. How did you manage to get a video subscription for crying out loud? i'm so jealous.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#9 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Shy Gorgeous-Al wrote:

Read on Twitter

I was trying my hardest to get a Deep Dives with video function from Synergy and they just denied it. How did you manage to get a video subscription for crying out loud? i'm so jealous.

Check your messages.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#10 » by big-shot-ROB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Shy Gorgeous-Al wrote:

Read on Twitter

Check your messages.

Same here.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Shy Gorgeous-Al
Junior
And1: 299

Post#11 » by Shy Gorgeous-Al » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Shy Gorgeous-Al wrote:

Read on Twitter

Check your messages.

I can't compose private messages for some reason, and I can't DM you on twitter (??)

Really wish I could have an access to this. I just don't get syenrgy tbh. I had Deep Dives without the video function for a year, and it's a waste of time.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#12 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:04 pm

I mean you gotta work for a big enough outlet or a team, I have synergy cause I did the latter for a while
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#13 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Fischella wrote:I mean you gotta work for a big enough outlet or a team, I have synergy cause I did the latter for a while

Ding ding ding ding. Same boat.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Skip is that u? :o :wink:
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#15 » by retrobro90 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:23 am

33/4/4 tonight for this kid. His handle and pull up game is effortless. Strokes it from NBA range. Love watching his in and out dribbles but I wonder if he's so proficient in that because he's so right hand dominant and prefers not to cross over. He's a pleasure to watch off the bounce so I don't see why he's supposed to be more of a two guard. Reminds me a bit of Kyrie.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#16 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:43 am

He's my top guy for pg at the moment. He's one of those longer limbed pgs that have plus length, handle, shot, and finishing ability.

Vision and passing skill wise, I'd probably compare him to Teague. He's good enough to play the CJ MCcollum role or run a regular offense, but is probably more adept with the former.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#17 » by GimmeDat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 am

I've been luke warm on Garland just because of the measurables/athleticism combo and the defense, but I'm starting to get the memo with this game. Really talented player. I could see low end starter (which means a lot for such a stacked position).
No-Man
RealGM

Post#18 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:40 am

What would happen if Jeff Teague was an elite shooter? that's kinda Garland
No-Man
RealGM

Post#19 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:00 pm

Fischella wrote:What would happen if Jeff Teague was an elite shooter? that's kinda Garland

To be sure Teague was more sudden/quick at Wake, and Garland has issues sometimes getting all the way in and turning the corner in PnR, not sure if he has enough handles (?) or if it's quickness, but it's a close one due to both been similar size, frame and athleticism+Teague been also a tad avg-below avg as a playmaker for his position (i think Darius is/could be better there actually than Jeff)
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#20 » by big-shot-ROB » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Fischella wrote:
Fischella wrote:What would happen if Jeff Teague was an elite shooter? that's kinda Garland

To be sure Teague was more sudden/quick at Wake, and Garland has issues sometimes getting all the way in and turning the corner in PnR, not sure if he has enough handles (?) or if it's quickness, but it's a close one due to both been similar size, frame and athleticism+Teague been also a tad avg-below avg as a playmaker for his position (i think Darius is/could be better there actually than Jeff)

I don't watch too much Wolves games, but all I remember from Teague in Atlanta is he was quick and had a crazy quick step. I was always amazed how quick was he operating through spaces.

I don't see that in Garland, but this game he used a half-spin fake to open a gap and finish with a layup that reminded me how Kyrie is able to get to the bucket without being explosive or quick.

Garland most impressive skill for me when he runs the pick&roll is the way he uses ins-and-outs and hesitations to change speeds and directions, he looks so natural doing it and leads to effective pick&roll situations.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Return to NBA Draft