ImageImageImage

Cavaliers Veterans Say Collin Sexton Doesn’t Know How To Play.

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavaliers Veterans Say Collin Sexton Doesn’t Know How To Play. 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 4, 2018 7:12 pm

I don't buy it...that he doesn't know how to play part. That is just total bs. I do think he is struggling to find his role on this roster given the clear divide in the front office coaching staff and players who have had minutes cut etc. That has impacted his ability to play to his strengths for sure... But the Young Bull definitely is cocky and probably has stirred the pot pretty badly getting minutes over disgruntled players like Smith and taking away minutes from Hill and others who are better players obviously right now having been in the league for many many years.
I think this is a case of jealousy and nothing more.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 8:03 pm

I don't know whether this author has an sources. I've never of this publication before. That said, a 19-year old rookie who has played less than ten games doesn't fully know how to play in the NBA? Who would've thought.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#4 » by tundraknight » Mon Nov 5, 2018 3:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:I don't know whether this author has an sources. I've never of this publication before. That said, a 19-year old rookie who has played less than ten games doesn't fully know how to play in the NBA? Who would've thought.

Well there’s various links on the same story.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804398-report-cavaliers-veterans-dont-think-collin-sexton-knows-how-to-play

^ Bleacher report is more well known.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 5, 2018 2:40 pm

^ The funny thing , well not sure how funny, but the funny thing too me , is the vets complaining about Sexton (Smith) are not playing or when they are don't play well either.It's pure Jealousy and nothing more. I advise some leniency and a pass for time to adjust for any rookie esp a rookie point guard on a dysfunctional roster. Vets on the other hand that are patting themselves on the back like Thompson & Smith for runs to a championship series each year Lebron James was on the roster are feeling the weight of the outside opinions that they are scrubs without him and are in denial given they need a great facilitator to appear to be more than league average role players.
Korver is apparently disgruntled he was not given a trade as well, but I highly doubt he would be complaining as if anyone should expect a rookie pg to be good out of the gate.
Sexton should maximize his current skill set in the pick and roll with Love but he has yet to be in the sl and Love is out.
Sexton is a ball dominant guard and was clearly chosen with the knowledge lebron was out. As a result so are those who were made into celebrities as a result, whether it be by trade,buyouts or simply out of the rotation locker room cancers
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 6:18 pm

Stillwater wrote:^ The funny thing , well not sure how funny, but the funny thing too me , is the vets complaining about Sexton (Smith) are not playing or when they are don't play well either.It's pure Jealousy and nothing more. I advise some leniency and a pass for time to adjust for any rookie esp a rookie point guard on a dysfunctional roster. Vets on the other hand that are patting themselves on the back like Thompson & Smith for runs to a championship series each year Lebron James was on the roster are feeling the weight of the outside opinions that they are scrubs without him and are in denial given they need a great facilitator to appear to be more than league average role players.
Korver is apparently disgruntled he was not given a trade as well, but I highly doubt he would be complaining as if anyone should expect a rookie pg to be good out of the gate.
Sexton should maximize his current skill set in the pick and roll with Love but he has yet to be in the sl and Love is out.
Sexton is a ball dominant guard and was clearly chosen with the knowledge lebron was out. As a result so are those who were made into celebrities as a result, whether it be by trade,buyouts or simply out of the rotation locker room cancers

I'm all for patience but this is why I didn't want to gift him the starting spot and why I'm reluctant to trade Hill for anything other than a good return. PG isn't like other positions. As good as Kyrie is, there's a reason the Cavs never made the playoffs with him playing the way he does until LBJ got here. Be patient with rookies but make them earn their minutes.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 5, 2018 10:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:^ The funny thing , well not sure how funny, but the funny thing too me , is the vets complaining about Sexton (Smith) are not playing or when they are don't play well either.It's pure Jealousy and nothing more. I advise some leniency and a pass for time to adjust for any rookie esp a rookie point guard on a dysfunctional roster. Vets on the other hand that are patting themselves on the back like Thompson & Smith for runs to a championship series each year Lebron James was on the roster are feeling the weight of the outside opinions that they are scrubs without him and are in denial given they need a great facilitator to appear to be more than league average role players.

I'm all for patience but this is why I didn't want to gift him the starting spot and why I'm reluctant to trade Hill for anything other than a good return. PG isn't like other positions. As good as Kyrie is, there's a reason the Cavs never made the playoffs with him playing the way he does until LBJ got here. Be patient with rookies but make them earn their minutes.

Yeah making him earn the minutes makes sense,but as we have seen thus far he has not been used to his strengths and what is going on with him isn't at all surprising this early on imo. (esp with switching 1-5 then 1-4 etc) What they need to do for his development if they are embracing the tank at least while Love is out at least he won't obviously have any better opportunities in the sl anyway with Love out is move JC to the sl and put Nwaba or Hood or both on the 2nd unit with Sexton where he can be more effective at improving his ability as a lead guard.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#8 » by Joest2003 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm sure lebron would say the same thing about the "Cleveland vets"

Dudes are either in the lottery or being carried by Lebron and they go and publicly attack a rookie?

I'm confused
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Joest2003 wrote:I'm sure lebron would say the same thing about the "Cleveland vets"

Dudes are either in the lottery or being carried by Lebron and they go and publicly attack a rookie?

I'm confused

I think in retrospect it was taken out of context overall... the point is some of the vets at the time were becoming disgruntled getting benched for a rookie who clearly has a ways to go before the pro game slows down for him. That being said Sexton was not phased by it at all.
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#10 » by Joest2003 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:I'm sure lebron would say the same thing about the "Cleveland vets"

I'm confused

I think in retrospect it was taken out of context overall... the point is some of the vets at the time were becoming disgruntled getting benched for a rookie who clearly has a ways to go before the pro game slows down for him. That being said Sexton was not phased by it at all.

Sounds like they need to humble themselves a little bit. It's not about them anymore. It never was really. Now lebron is gone its time to blow it up and go for Zion and at the same time let Sexton get the valuable experience now while you guys are not contending anyways.

Just saying "Cavaliers Vets" sounds funny, no one gives a **** what JR and Tristan Thompson has to say.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I'm confused

Sounds like they need to humble themselves a little bit. It's not about them anymore. It never was really. Now lebron is gone its time to blow it up and go for Zion and at the same time let Sexton get the valuable experience now while you guys are not contending anyways.

Just saying "Cavaliers Vets" sounds funny, no one gives a **** what JR and Tristan Thompson has to say.

The players that were part of the finals runs are overpaid for the most part as a result but have earned the right to be heard even if they are not worthy of being listened too. I don't think it's that unusual for veteran players on a team to be disgruntled when the new wave of players takes their role , but at the same time don't actually believe any of them really think Sexton doesn't know how to play...more like Sexton is a rookie and they are not and any org still wanting to win and make a playoff run would use the vets more than the rookies. this org and team as constructed now that Love is down and Hill and Osman down have no aspirations of making the playoffs right now. If Love comes back strong and the others are not traded , they could turn it around enough to justify not tanking in their minds, but the truth is they should embrace the tank at this point being the worst record in the league after 12 games.
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#12 » by Joest2003 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think in retrospect it was taken out of context overall... the point is some of the vets at the time were becoming disgruntled getting benched for a rookie who clearly has a ways to go before the pro game slows down for him. That being said Sexton was not phased by it at all.

The players that were part of the finals runs are overpaid for the most part as a result but have earned the right to be heard even if they are not worthy of being listened too. I don't think it's that unusual for veteran players on a team to be disgruntled when the new wave of players takes their role , but at the same time don't actually believe any of them really think Sexton doesn't know how to play...more like Sexton is a rookie and they are not and any org still wanting to win and make a playoff run would use the vets more than the rookies. this org and team as constructed now that Love is down and Hill and Osman down have no aspirations of making the playoffs right now. If Love comes back strong and the others are not traded , they could turn it around enough to justify not tanking in their minds, but the truth is they should embrace the tank at this point being the worst record in the league after 12 games.

I hear ya. But it's one thing for MJ to call out his teammates and a certain extent Jimmy Butler the past few months but no one on the current Cavs roster has ever done enough for this org to be calling out rookies like the publicly. Keep that in house because that could have easily hurt sexton's confidence if he wasn't thick skinned. I would bet the house most Cavs fans at this point would rather let Sexton go through his growing pains in the Hope's for a franchise player versus guys like JR or Hill get those minutes and still end up in the lottery. I would be wrong but that's just from outside looking in
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I'm confused

I have mixed emotions about it. Guys like George Hill and Korver are pros-pros and Sexton should be listening to him. I don't like this stuff leaking out publicly but I've got no issue with veterans telling 19-year olds they need to play the game the right way in this league.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#14 » by Joest2003 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:24 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I have mixed emotions about it. Guys like George Hill and Korver are pros-pros and Sexton should be listening to him. I don't like this stuff leaking out publicly but I've got no issue with veterans telling 19-year olds they need to play the game the right way in this league.

Agreed. But we both know Korver and Hill wouldnt leak that stuff out to the media. Like you said those are real professional guys.

My guess would be JR and Thompson
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I have mixed emotions about it. Guys like George Hill and Korver are pros-pros and Sexton should be listening to him. I don't like this stuff leaking out publicly but I've got no issue with veterans telling 19-year olds they need to play the game the right way in this league.

Agreed. But we both know Korver and Hill wouldnt leak that stuff out to the media. Like you said those are real professional guys.

My guess would be JR and Thompson

TT is back to playing hard. JR hasn't really been a plus starter in awhile. He's a bench player now and he's adjusting to it about as well as Melo.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#16 » by afarmenian » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:26 am

Sexton has been playing great what a turn around and has got me actually watching entire games.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#17 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:07 am

afarmenian wrote:Sexton has been playing great what a turn around and has got me actually watching entire games.

What JR should have said was he himself doesn't know how to play without Lebron ball ... Sexton is legit,his game has transferred/is constantly developing faster than most rookies games do/his work ethic is shining etc. keeps this up and he'll be an allstar eventually
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#18 » by Revenged25 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:59 am

Stillwater wrote:
afarmenian wrote:Sexton has been playing great what a turn around and has got me actually watching entire games.

What JR should have said was he himself doesn't know how to play without Lebron ball ... Sexton is legit,his game has transferred/is constantly developing faster than most rookies games do/his work ethic is shining etc. keeps this up and he'll be an allstar eventually

I mean could you really say that JR wasn't right when Sexton came into the league? I think saying he struggled defending the pick and roll and setting up teammates are both fair criticisms of Sexton at the beginning of the season, but what all of us said about Sexton when we were drafted him in regards to his work ethic and how he will put in the effort to improve his game shown through. He's improved drastically in all the areas he was criticized with at the start of the season and he can/will improve greatly in both of those areas over time.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#19 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I mean could you really say that JR wasn't right when Sexton came into the league? I think saying he struggled defending the pick and roll and setting up teammates are both fair criticisms of Sexton at the beginning of the season, but what all of us said about Sexton when we were drafted him in regards to his work ethic and how he will put in the effort to improve his game shown through. He's improved drastically in all the areas he was criticized with at the start of the season and he can/will improve greatly in both of those areas over time.

Saying he can't play was pretty vague,given it was false then just like it's false now. Can't play with veterans might have been applicable given he is a rookie and needed development to start at the pg position where most veteran squads do not rely on rookie pg's. either way,the comments were just ignorant,and now that Sexton is proving to me worth his draft placement,nobody could or should suggest with any amount of honesty that he can't play.
ImaCLEFanNotLBJ
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#20 » by ImaCLEFanNotLBJ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:07 pm

The odd part about Sexton's growth, is that what was thought to be one of his greatest strengths (defense) doesn't seem to have progressed much at all. However, he's starting to play with a lot more awareness and doesn't appear lost out there like he did pre-allstar break. He's looking much better than the 8th pick of the draft right now and he's got me excited about the end of this garbage season.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers