Bol Bol

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#41 » by nolang1 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 8:07 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:The "concerns about his motor" and "needs to add strength" seem to get thrown around a lot among big men prospects lately. Complaining about a highschool kids motor especially seems really silly, let the kid play a season of college ball first. I hope he can show his worth as a mid lottery talent and Boston grab either him or Bassey.

Saying Bol Bol needs to get stronger is like Ben Simmons needs to improve his jumpshot: it just exposes how lazy it is to use the exact same phrases on them when they clearly need to improve to a much greater degree in those areas than the average prospect does. For other prospects, the concern is about if they can develop and be average/passable in that regard; for those two, it's simply a question of how much that deficiency will offset whatever positive attributes they bring to the table.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#42 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Nov 5, 2018 8:15 pm

clyde21 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:It's a bit bizarre why he doesn't get more hype.

Seems like a better prospect than Mo Bamba.

Two completely different prospects. Not sure why this is even a comparison?

Both centers with freakish dimensions.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#43 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Nov 5, 2018 9:31 pm

His touch is next level for a true 7 footer along with that coordination. Somebody will reach and take him early, he's way too skilled.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#44 » by GimmeDat » Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:36 am

I'm very interested to see him against some different matchups. The fluidity and skill-set with his profile are insane. But, even in comparison to someone like Bamba, I think the frame and motor/effort issues are even more of an issue with Bol. Keen to see more - if those issues aren't deal breakers, he could be a top 5 pick.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#45 » by Upperclass » Tue Nov 6, 2018 11:13 pm

I've said for awhile 2019 is going to be one of the best drafts ever. Bol bol i think will endup with an Odell beckham like following.. without the A1 aesthetics of course
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#46 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:23 am

Could Bol Bol play PF like Porzingis / Davis or is he a genuine C?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#47 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:43 am

It’ll be interesting to see how the rest of the year is for him, especially against the bigger teams. He’s probably up there for me with Little and Reddish. Definitely a center.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#48 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Nov 8, 2018 6:35 pm

I am tepid on him, mostly because IDK if he has the mentality or lateral agility to ever be a true 'switching' defender at PF (Which is an abolute must for me in todays NBA) and he isnt nearly strong or tough enough to defend centers either. He seems like a sparkplug offensive big who may not play the most efficient game offensively.

Upside would be something like Myler Turner but he has something of a 'fluid' Byron Mullens to his game that scares me.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,367

Post#49 » by baldur » Fri Nov 9, 2018 9:59 am

Atlhawks09 wrote:
Read on Twitter

this is crazy.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#50 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Nov 9, 2018 1:58 pm

How comparable is he to Thon Maker?
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#51 » by nolang1 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 6:18 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:How comparable is he to Thon Maker?

Basically the same strengths/weaknesses but Bol's are more pronounced.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#52 » by Upperclass » Fri Nov 9, 2018 6:42 pm

Bol is bigger and has a more alpha personality. Thon seems to be a mental midget and passive
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#53 » by GimmeDat » Fri Nov 9, 2018 11:14 pm

I don't agree with that (^) description of Thon, I think he just has bad hands, his gait is a lot more awkward, he is less coordinated, and his dimensions are a not as freakish to make up for the body type.

Bol's more fluid, has a much better shot and shot versatility, and I think is a greater immediate on-ball rim protector (Thon's more just weak-side).

What I do love about Thon a lot over Bol is his attitude, Thon's an A+ character guy and a notable high work ethic guy (though that hasn't helped him overcome his issues to this point). Bol could stand greatly to improve in this regard.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#54 » by Ball4life32 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:24 am

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#55 » by scrabbarista » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:11 am

I'm starting to wish I'd asked for Bol's autograph when he walked past me in the stands at summer league.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#56 » by GameBredAPBT » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I don't agree with that (^) description of Thon, I think he just has bad hands, his gait is a lot more awkward, he is less coordinated, and his dimensions are a not as freakish to make up for the body type.

Bol's more fluid, has a much better shot and shot versatility, and I think is a greater immediate on-ball rim protector (Thon's more just weak-side).

What I do love about Thon a lot over Bol is his attitude, Thon's an A+ character guy and a notable high work ethic guy (though that hasn't helped him overcome his issues to this point). Bol could stand greatly to improve in this regard.

Maker is also two decade older than Bol. Bol is just a kid, give him time
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#57 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Bol has good explosion but he is just slow in all his actions, length buys him a lot of time to recover though
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#58 » by Gam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:56 am

GimmeDat wrote:I don't agree with that (^) description of Thon, I think he just has bad hands, his gait is a lot more awkward, he is less coordinated, and his dimensions are a not as freakish to make up for the body type.

Thon's more athletic and has an A+ motor, but is quite a bit smaller and has much worse hands and touch.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#59 » by GimmeDat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:12 am

Gam wrote:

Thon's more athletic and has an A+ motor, but is quite a bit smaller and has much worse hands and touch.

Depends what you mean by athletic, as Fisch said, Bol's slower in his movements, but I think his pure size and fluidity makes him a better athlete. Thon's good on his feet but he's a bit of a stiff and not very fluid or explosive imo.
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#60 » by Gam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
Gam wrote:

Depends what you mean by athletic, as Fisch said, Bol's slower in his movements, but I think his pure size and fluidity makes him a better athlete. Thon's good on his feet but he's a bit of a stiff and not very fluid or explosive imo.

Yeah, "much faster/quicker" would be a better descriptor than "more athletic" was.

Return to NBA Draft