ImageImageImage

How optimistic are you that the Cavs turn it around?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Will the Cavs turn it around quickly and make the playoffs?

Lock it in they are a darkhorse
13%
50/50 too soon to know
20%
less than 25% chance negative outlook
13%
better than 75% chance positive outlook
7%
Roster will change dramatically at the deadline so who knows
7%
Roster won't change much at all so who knows
7%
With Drew they have a shot to surprise people after the poor start
7%
I'd rather they tanked but they won't
20%
I'd rather they win more games than tank, but they are tanking
No votes
They will win more games than most think but are still a lottery team
7%

Total votes: 15

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

How optimistic are you that the Cavs turn it around? 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Curious what the general feeling is, given Hood showed out under Drew and the Cavs looked very solid
in their first game post Lue departure.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Re: How optimistic are you that the Cavs turn it around? 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 1, 2018 1:50 am

After 6 losses the forum is as dead as the rotting corpse display on my front lawn ....yawn
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,918

Post#3 » by tundraknight » Fri Nov 2, 2018 1:04 am

Stillwater wrote:After 6 losses the forum is as dead as the rotting corpse display on my front lawn ....yawn

I guess I’ll make a reply then.

My opinion is different than yours.

I’m personally not going to get too excited just because we finally got one win against a Hawks team that many people picked to be one of the worst, if not the worst team record wise this season. They usually won’t win unless Trae Young goes off.

Especially now with Love out for at least a month, I’d rather tank than try and be hopeful about “winning now” or overachieving and sneaking into the playoffs.

The bottom line for me is that I don’t think the Cavaliers have enough talent to be successful yet. I want more elite talent on the Cavaliers. I think the only way for the Cavaliers to obtain that is through the Draft. Because Cleveland obviously isn’t a hot spot for Free Agents.

I know you mentioned before that you think this upcoming draft is weak and also the lottery odds are even now for the Top 3. But I still would love to have one of those elite prospects from Duke or Nassir Little from UNC.

Perhaps if the Cavaliers continue to pile up more losses, you’ll eventually agree with me.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 2, 2018 1:20 am

I wanted to see 30 games with Love on the court. I still want to see 30 games with Love on the court. But we're not a good team, and we can't play competitively against good teams, without Love.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 2, 2018 1:43 am

ugly loss against Nuggets, who by all accounts are a much better playing team right now.
I so think the Smith story today along with the general feeling of discord between players and the org because of it
was in the teams head not to mention they are a team without a coach until Drew is paid or someone else is.
I am not going to get down on this roster right now, because no one including myself expects or should expect them to be great without Love, but I do expect them to play better than they did tonight in most games.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#6 » by Revenged25 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Seems like with all the injuries, any chance the Cavs could've had to compete for the playoffs will be gone by the time everyone is healthy. Two players predicted to be a big part of the team in Love and Osman are out and who knows how much they'll miss. Go for the tank this year, go into the draft with a top pick and a lot of cap space for either a short term salary dump from another team for a good pick/prospect or to do the Lakers overpay for 1 year type deals on average talent to fill out a roster and not lock them into bad contracts long term.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Seems like with all the injuries, any chance the Cavs could've had to compete for the playoffs will be gone by the time everyone is healthy. Two players predicted to be a big part of the team in Love and Osman are out and who knows how much they'll miss. Go for the tank this year, go into the draft with a top pick and a lot of cap space for either a short term salary dump from another team for a good pick/prospect or to do the Lakers overpay for 1 year type deals on average talent to fill out a roster and not lock them into bad contracts long term.

After last nights game, there is no chance this team is tanking, they just won't. That being said they will obviously retain their pick after deadline moves etc & it just won't be in the top 2 unless they get lucky in the lottery drawing. I would tank if I was the org, but I don't think the players they have are bad enough to go full tank even with all the injuries. It took Nwaba getting Korvers minutes for me to accept that reality, but it was all I needed.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#8 » by gflem » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:02 am

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:Seems like with all the injuries, any chance the Cavs could've had to compete for the playoffs will be gone by the time everyone is healthy. Two players predicted to be a big part of the team in Love and Osman are out and who knows how much they'll miss. Go for the tank this year, go into the draft with a top pick and a lot of cap space for either a short term salary dump from another team for a good pick/prospect or to do the Lakers overpay for 1 year type deals on average talent to fill out a roster and not lock them into bad contracts long term.

After last nights game, there is no chance this team is tanking, they just won't. That being said they will obviously retain their pick after deadline moves etc & it just won't be in the top 2 unless they get lucky in the lottery drawing. I would tank if I was the org, but I don't think the players they have are bad enough to go full tank even with all the injuries. It took Nwaba getting Korvers minutes for me to accept that reality, but it was all I needed.

What did you see last night that makes you think they wont tank? This team with injuries is much more athletic and able to defend than the one that started the season imo. If the Cavs get even decent offers for Love, Korver, JR (I know not at all likely), or Thompson they should jump at them.
The only reason they won the other night was Thompson, and I really think he is playing to show another team that has playoff aspirations that he can still impact a game with his rebounding. Whatever team that may be. I think it will become more apparent whether or not the team will tank is after Dec. 15th when players on new contracts can be moved, and of course as the season nears the deadline when the Cavs record will almost certainly dictate it.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:54 am

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

What did you see last night that makes you think they wont tank? This team with injuries is much more athletic and able to defend than the one that started the season imo. If the Cavs get even decent offers for Love, Korver, JR (I know not at all likely), or Thompson they should jump at them.
The only reason they won the other night was Thompson, and I really think he is playing to show another team that has playoff aspirations that he can still impact a game with his rebounding. Whatever team that may be. I think it will become more apparent whether or not the team will tank is after Dec. 15th when players on new contracts can be moved, and of course as the season nears the deadline when the Cavs record will almost certainly dictate it.

yeah depending on whatever dl moves are made the team could theoretically be worse esp if they bring in players on bad contracts to aquire draft picks, but I doubt it assuming Love is back and not traded losing Hill,Smith,Korver or any combination of the 3 leaving young players who are in the rotation now with the current injuries and playing well despite not winning .The earlier development of said young players chemistry playing together at that point wouldn't lessen the teams odds of improving if nothing else I expect continuous progress.
I think they are not intentionally going to be making moves to ensure a top 2 pick by record nor do I think playing g-leaguers etc late in the season will be very likely but that is possible I guess,but again it would be Preston or others with a future here not scrubs for the sake of losing.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 am

Past 2 games b2b wins against playoff teams sure looks like they are turning it around, but I'm not sold it is sustainable just yet.
We'll see how long Nance is out etc.
Either way probably not a top 3 lottery lock if the upward trend continues.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:12 pm

I said in a different thread that the Cavs were going to need Hood, Clarkson, and a third guy to all have good games in the same game to win because they don't really have a No. 1 scorer. They've done that for a couple of games in a row. I don't think it scales though. What might scale is the defensive presence that TT, Nance and Nwaba bring.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers