Kevin Porter Jr

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,454

Kevin Porter Jr 

Post#1 » by Ball4life32 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Never really knew much about him but he looks like he could be a big time player. Does remind me of Harden a little bit. Listed at 6’6 220, elite handles, nice looking stroke and a
a great athlete. His HS videos are impressive as well.

;t=92s

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Kevin Porter Jr 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:09 pm

I don't know where you see Harden, I like Porter, he has great scoring instincts, frame, and handle/pro moves at his size, nice pull-up, but not sure how much of an all around game he's got to compliment that

It's so early, he might grow into it, but If I were to guess I'd go with JR/Nick Young more than such a high level wing as a projection
Ball4life32
Veteran

Post#3 » by Ball4life32 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Fischella wrote:I don't know where you see Harden, I like Porter, he has great scoring instincts, frame, and handle/pro moves at his size, nice pull-up, but not sure how much of an all around game he's got to compliment that

It's so early, he might grow into it, but If I were to guess I'd go with JR/Nick Young more than such a high level wing as a projection

Lefty, good handle, around the same size and the step back 3’s. Not the distributor I don’t believe. You’re right still early but he’s definitely a name to watch.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Maybe Bradley Beal-ish? I don't think he's 6'6'. I like him more at SG than SF.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,634

Post#5 » by peZt » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Love him. Remember he also destroyed the top recruits in Nike Hoop Summit Scrimmage games.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#6 » by Upperclass » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:25 pm

He's a lefty and you can tell he patterns his game after Harden.. but he's much more JR/Nick Young as mentioned.. I think he's a scorer and nothing else in the league
Ball4life32
Veteran

Post#7 » by Ball4life32 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:Maybe Bradley Beal-ish? I don't think he's 6'6'. I like him more at SG than SF.

You’re right, he might be 6’7. He looks huge in person. Not at all Bradley Beal, Shooting isn’t his game.

He has elite elite flashes, probably more than anyone other than Zion right now. All the issues I had with him last game he did a much better job with last night. Obviously getting used to the college game. I’m excited to see what he looks like by the end of the year, but I also wonder how much he can improve considering his father is his coach and has probably taught him everything he wants him to learn.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#9 » by Saul Goodman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:39 pm

So many Porter JRs....
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Maybe Bradley Beal-ish? I don't think he's 6'6'. I like him more at SG than SF.

You’re right, he might be 6’7. He looks huge in person. Not at all Bradley Beal, Shooting isn’t his game.

He has elite elite flashes, probably more than anyone other than Zion right now. All the issues I had with him last game he did a much better job with last night. Obviously getting used to the college game. I’m excited to see what he looks like by the end of the year, but I also wonder how much he can improve considering his father is his coach and has probably taught him everything he wants him to learn.

Does he? I was thinking he looks closer to 6'5"ish. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:53 pm

My first impression was between Justice Winslow and Jimmy Butler - same type of size, explosiveness and aggression that Butler has. Not a great jump shooter at this point. His FT shooting needs work - not a good sign that he'll develop a more consistent 3, but it's early. Need to see more re his defense. As always, a lot depends on how hard he works.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Ruzious wrote:My first impression was between Justice Winslow and Jimmy Butler - same type of size, explosiveness and aggression that Butler has. Not a great jump shooter at this point. His FT shooting needs work - not a good sign that he'll develop a more consistent 3, but it's early. Need to see more re his defense. As always, a lot depends on how hard he works.

He definitely needs to work on his shot. It’s a push-shot and doesn’t have much of an arc. In the NBA it’ll be more of a problem. His defense is one of the things I was referring to, he did better last game than he has previously. I think it’s more about learning how to play defense.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,634

Post#13 » by peZt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Love his game
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#14 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 pm

peZt wrote:

Love his game

He's definitely my biggest riser so far this year. He creates space so easily in offense for himself. I do want to see where his efficiency ends up at the end of the year. I think he can be a little trigger happy and fall in love with bad shots. That hasn't been the case so much this year (last game not good greatest), butt curious if he can keep the good shot selection all year.

But as of right now I have him sitting at #5 with a solid gap between him and 6th.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#15 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
peZt wrote:

Love his game

He's definitely my biggest riser so far this year. He creates space so easily in offense for himself. I do want to see where his efficiency ends up at the end of the year. I think he can be a little trigger happy and fall in love with bad shots. That hasn't been the case so much this year (last game not good greatest), butt curious if he can keep the good shot selection all year.

But as of right now I have him sitting at #5 with a solid gap between him and 6th.

The few things I'm worried about so far are
- not much playmaking for others
- loves that jumper vs attacking
- not someone who can draw fouls at a high rate, even with his strong frame (11 fouls drawn through 4 games is good, but only 13 FTs is not great)
- defensively, he's not quick BUT makes up for it with good recovery speed
- not a huge fan of his shot chart - too many from mid range, not enough at the rim or 3 (see pic below)

On the flip side
- the jumper is looking good (I think the ball might be resting on his palm a bit)
- the strength is there (3 and 1s through 4 games)
- ability to create space with step backs is there
- wiggle / handle

USC note - holy hell is Boatwright shot happy.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#16 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
peZt wrote:

Love his game

The few things I'm worried about so far are
- not much playmaking for others
- loves that jumper vs attacking
- not someone who can draw fouls at a high rate, even with his strong frame (11 fouls drawn through 4 games is good, but only 13 FTs is not great)
- defensively, he's not quick BUT makes up for it with good recovery speed
- not a huge fan of his shot chart - too many from mid range, not enough at the rim or 3 (see pic below)

On the flip side
- the jumper is looking good (I think the ball might be resting on his palm a bit)
- the strength is there (3 and 1s through 4 games)
- ability to create space with step backs is there
- wiggle / handle

USC note - holy hell is Boatwright shot happy.

I have a lot of worries about him and that is why Im probably never going to consider him a threat to jump into the top 4 mix. But ya its really hard to overlook his strengths. The wiggle and ability to create space just slaps you in the face every time you watch him, its pretty wow. But if you told me 6 years from now KPJ is just a 6th man gunner, I wouldnt be surprised at all. Cause a lot of his game kind of screams 6th man of the year gunner type of player.

But Im still having a hard time really falling in love with anyone outside of the top 4 in class. So to me he would be worth the risk at 5. Hopefully he becomes more impactful off the ball, and he rounds out his game. If not I think you get a really good gunner.

He really does love that step back 17-18ft jumper though.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#17 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:54 pm

I mean it's an upside play cause after the top3 guys, and maybe Reddish, the game is kinda open and nobody really has made a move, with a good looking jumper, athleticism, size and his pro moves, Porter is as close as anybody I guess
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#18 » by big-shot-ROB » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Duke, you just wrote my thoughts.

He will be a gunner of the bench. His efficiency will depend on how he translates.

If his able to clean up this "street play" you might have yourself a great starter.

I guess it all end ups being about his personality, something we have limited access to. Too many players ended up wasting their potential because when they enter the league they care more abojt clothes and shoes than basketball.

That's why sometimes looking at their social accounts gives you a hint.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#19 » by rtblues » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm putting him 4-8, right after the TOP 3 picks, tha;s how good I think he is.
He has a pull-up three and he has a step-back, two necessary skills in the NBA
that many young players don't have. Sleeper-Supreme!
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
clyde21
RealGM

Post#20 » by clyde21 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:47 pm

rtblues wrote:I'm putting him 4-8, right after the TOP 3 picks, tha;s how good I think he is.
He has a pull-up three and he has a step-back, two necessary skills in the NBA
that many young players don't have. Sleeper-Supreme!

That FT% scares me though, and I don't think he'll add much to an offense other than scoring.

But the talent is definitely there. He'll have night we're he'll drop 40 points like its nothing.

Return to NBA Draft