Quentin Grimes

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Re: Quentin Grimes 

Post#21 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:23 pm

Who would you rather have, Grimes or Langford?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#22 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:39 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Who would rather have, Grimes or Langford?

Grimes and it isn't particularly close to me
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#23 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:48 pm

Fischella wrote:

Yeah, thats what I thought. The seemingly vast difference in BBIQ stands out to me the most
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,091

Post#24 » by The-Power » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:14 pm

TYO23 wrote:I’m leaning to him being more of a two guard who can be a secondary handler. He flashed some nice vision yesterday but I worry about his first step

Yeah, he's good when he has a head of steam but his first step isn't going to be good enough to consistently break defenses. Should be able to get into the lane with his strength but not all the way to the rim consistently

Fischella wrote:

Agreed. Not overly impressed with Langford from what I've seen thus far. Grimes I'd have comfortably in the lottery at this point, but a lot will change over the course of the season I suppose.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#25 » by Skin » Wed Nov 7, 2018 11:29 pm

Fischella wrote:He looks so much like Courtney Lee, it's uncanny, I mean ideally you get more than that, esp if he can pull-up from 3, which was the doubt, and improve on D and as a play-maker, he is cerebral and poised and from what I heard was great at the NHS in that regard, but not sure you can have him as your lead-Guard

regardless, likely a lotto prospect, but he needs to be more dynamic as a scorer to be a 1st half of the lotto selection in my book

Courtney Lee wishes he had that handle.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#26 » by reanimator » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:28 am

Grimes doesn't have a great step but he was really really good at change of speeds when I saw him. I agree with The-Power that he is more gifted passer than someone who runs an offense at the moment. One thing I don't like is his avoidance of contact around the rim.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#27 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Thoughts on Grimes- after watching just two games.

Nice size if a PG- decent if SG or combo.
Surprisingly good feel for passing. Good vision.
Solid, not great stroke- good shooter if feet are set.
Very unselfish.
Solid defense, good defensive bball iq, big body, moves well.
Not much of a knack for scoring- at least so far at this level. Most of his points on catch and shoot. Pull up game hasn't been kind and looks a little awkward.
Maybe too unselfish- would like him to be a bit more aggressive, but even that may be due to him understanding his limitations.
Overall, the big body, solid D, passing ability and shooting can take a guy like that a long way. Will be fun to watch over the course of the season to see what he really is.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#28 » by Upperclass » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Plays like young Billups
The-Power
General Manager

Post#29 » by The-Power » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:07 pm

For now, I'll say Malcolm Brogdon. More creative and quicker in making decisions, but perhaps not quite the shooter.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#30 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:33 am

Fischella wrote:

I have changed my mind around this, if Romeo shoots, I think he is a better prospect, def much closer than I thought, Grimes is just no incisive enough (KU might not be the right setting for him either ofc), but his offense is underwhelming and on defense he is just avg, fine team defender, can't bother some guards with length, but not quick enough to stay with elite guys
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#31 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Fischella wrote:
Fischella wrote:

I have changed my mind around this, if Romeo shoots, I think he is a better prospect, def much closer than I thought, Grimes is just no incisive enough (KU might not be the right setting for him either ofc), but his offense is underwhelming and on defense he is just avg, fine team defender, can't bother some guards with length, but not quick enough to stay with elite guys

Where would you rank Kevin Porter Jr in regards to those 2??
No-Man
RealGM

Post#32 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Ahead on potential, I mean it depends on what your taste is, Grimes is the safest guy
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#33 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:11 am

SeattleJazzFan wrote:Thoughts on Grimes- after watching just two games.

Nice size if a PG- decent if SG or combo.
Surprisingly good feel for passing. Good vision.
Solid, not great stroke- good shooter if feet are set.
Very unselfish.
Solid defense, good defensive bball iq, big body, moves well.
Not much of a knack for scoring- at least so far at this level. Most of his points on catch and shoot. Pull up game hasn't been kind and looks a little awkward.
Maybe too unselfish- would like him to be a bit more aggressive, but even that may be due to him understanding his limitations.
Overall, the big body, solid D, passing ability and shooting can take a guy like that a long way. Will be fun to watch over the course of the season to see what he really is.

Still impressed with his feel and willingness for passing the ball. he is a solid defender for a frosh, but he really looks clueless in terms of creating any kind of offense for himself or others. since he's a good passer, if guys are open, he will find them, but he isn't making plays for guys. it would be dumb to come to any sort of conclusion on a young guy like that 6 games into frosh season, but i'm starting to wonder if he has it. just couldn't get anything done tonight. and Grimes might have been my favorite prospect coming out of HS so i'm rooting for him.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#34 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:46 am

He looks pretty meh overall, probably a NBA player due to the combination of size, vision and shooting, but I don't see star upside on either end, Culver looks much better
The-Power
General Manager

Post#35 » by The-Power » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:31 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:but i'm starting to wonder if he has it. just couldn't get anything done tonight. and Grimes might have been my favorite prospect coming out of HS so i'm rooting for him.

Exactly where I'm at. Liked him a lot coming in, but I have some serious doubts about his upside by now. I agree with Fischella – he's probably an NBA player but doesn't appear to be potentially anything special at all. Perhaps a solid starter if his shot develops well. Still rooting for him to take off and show us something to give me some optimism that he could be more than that, though.
TYO23
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#36 » by TYO23 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:14 pm

I have not seen him beat anybody off the bounce all season. Hopefully he turns it around

Return to NBA Draft