Luguentz Dort

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Luguentz Dort 

Post#1 » by Coeur » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Dort might be the top Guard in the draft. Top 10 pick, maybe top 5.

Bobby Hurley has a stud. I think having such a good pg to play with at ASU will help Dort as he transitions to NBA point

PAC 12 talent evaluation is always strange. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Dort to "climb"
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,634

Re: Luguentz Dort 

Post#2 » by peZt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Dude's been one of the most criminally underrated HS players. I feel like every Canadian and his mom knew about his potential but for some reason the US media didn't really catch on. At least now they slowly start to acknowledge him.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,448

Post#3 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Coeur wrote:Dort might be the top Guard in the draft. Top 10 pick, maybe top 5.

Bobby Hurley has a stud. I think having such a good pg to play with at ASU will help Dort as he transitions to NBA point

PAC 12 talent evaluation is always strange. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Dort to "climb"

I didn't know transitioning to PG was in the cards for him. Is he playing minutes at the point now?
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Coeur » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

I didn't know transitioning to PG was in the cards for him. Is he playing minutes at the point now?

ASU has a really good guard playing point most of the time. Like a college version of Andre Miller

Dort is a combo guard. Very likely ends up a 2 but teams and he himself going into this season want to see him as a pg
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#5 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 pm

He's not a point, but I am a fan. Nice strength attacking the rim, compact shot, and even though he doesn't have much wiggle he navigates spaces well (similar to the way Donovan Mitchell does now).
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:47 pm

Reminds me of Lance Stephenson. Maybe Stephenson without the headcase.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#7 » by peachbucket » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:37 am

doordoor123 wrote:Reminds me of Lance Stephenson. Maybe Stephenson without the headcase.

Reminds me of Westbrook or Harden.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#8 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:44 am

He has nice tools physically, great frame, length and balance, good body control, solid athlete, esp horizontally, but he is comically bad at playing basketball, has no feel for driving, like none, throws himself at guys repeteadly, no idea how to time his drives, not real craft around the basket in terms of finishing, the shooting looks largely okay for his archetype (bully-ball Guard), although his footwork/follow through is messed up (kicks leg often), but he isn't really a passer/creator (like I said, vision isn't there)

Dunno, on physical potential and youth alone, he is probably a 1st rounder, but hyping him as a top10, let alone top5 pick feels insanely rich
No-Man
RealGM

Post#9 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:45 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

it's not lol, I mean he is playing next to Remy Martin who is a shooter, and they kinda share PG duties, but like, long-term Dort is more of a 3 than a 1 on offense
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by Coeur » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:15 am

Fischella wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

it's not lol, I mean he is playing next to Remy Martin who is a shooter, and they kinda share PG duties, but like, long-term Dort is more of a 3 than a 1 on offense

Sure more of an NCAA sf than pg. but in the NBA they'd want to see first if he could play pg because the ceiling is highest there.

Russell Westbrook was "an undersized 2". In college
No-Man
RealGM

Post#11 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:28 am

Taking Westbrook as an example of a normal curve of development it's just dumb, he is as big as an outlier as they come, also a way better athlete than Dort, but you know that yourself

Dort doesn't have vision to even play the 2 imo, he might improve, he is young, but even though he has a tendency for driving, instincts for it or comfort level, even some pro moves, his feel is pretty poor, and that stuff is the hardest to improve
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#12 » by big-shot-ROB » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:34 am

He is not Westbrook. Westbrook finished well in the rim at the NBA because he could jump through the roof, and then had an outlier developing curve.

Dort struggles to finish in College, he throws way to much his body into defenders without a plan, and some of his layups looked really forced. His fg% is a proof of that.

He reminds me of Smart in offense, really bully ball play. But Smart, I don't remember back then, but has now one of the better IQs in the Cs. He is a really smart passer and good playmaker. And he understands defense as nobody else. I don't see this feel for the game in Dort. He is in the 20+ pick range.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#13 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:40 am

his offense is really similar to Rawle Alkins, but Alkins has less athleticism and better feel, I think Dort is more advanced as a shooter at the same age, esp pull-ups, Smart is a way better passer and a way worse shooter
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Fischella wrote:He has nice tools physically, great frame, length and balance, good body control, solid athlete, esp horizontally, but he is comically bad at playing basketball, has no feel for driving, like none, throws himself at guys repeteadly, no idea how to time his drives, not real craft around the basket in terms of finishing, the shooting looks largely okay for his archetype (bully-ball Guard), although his footwork/follow through is messed up (kicks leg often), but he isn't really a passer/creator (like I said, vision isn't there)

Dunno, on physical potential and youth alone, he is probably a 1st rounder, but hyping him as a top10, let alone top5 pick feels insanely rich

Lance Stephenson
No-Man
RealGM

Post#15 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Much better shooter though, and Lance even though is a dumb player, has a feel for passing
No-Man
RealGM

Post#16 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:33 am

shooting looks good, nice pull-up, solid handle to shooting motion, not the quickest but it's workable, I don't like him as a finisher though, has touch but relies on strength and bully ball, not crafty around the rim unless he has space in transition or semi, to like step around people and extend, seems like a 2-feet riser? he has some explosive plays but it's always off two, and while driving he isnt rising quickly/explosively off one to my eye

again at this level with his frame he is able to get by with that, not sure he can at the next one, although he is fairly shifty for his size and if the pull-up is real he should be able to get by guys, even though he isn't that quick north-south, likes to overdribble instead of simplifying things (misses a few passes due to that)

not sure, haven't watched him on D at all really (only highlights and offensive clips, tend to do this with Guards to save time) but if he is legit not stupid and plays solid there, he is a player, with his frame and length, and could be as high as like 11-12th at the top of that 4th tier kinda, or maybe higher if his vision/feel improves

it's so early that I find myself changing my views from game to game a little bit, which it's fine, safe to say at least that he is interesting, also Arizona St. doesn't help him at all with the lack of shooters, Martin was good for a freshman last year and has been off so far, and after him Lawrence has been a welcome surprise (looked terrible as a freshman), Edwards is solid, and that's all, only Cherry of their bigs can shoot it a little bit, and they never have 3 guys outside of the 3-line at the same time, could be worse but their volume is super poor, shooting below 30% of their FG from 3
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,634

Post#17 » by peZt » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:10 pm

He has to have the highest arc on a jump shot I have ever seen
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#18 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:18 pm

peZt wrote:He has to have the highest arc on a jump shot I have ever seen

Let me introduce you to Sekou. I can't tell you how many of his shots leave the frame entirely. :lol:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#19 » by big-shot-ROB » Sat Dec 8, 2018 12:33 pm

Great read by The Stepien:

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/12/06/draft-notes-need-talk-luguentz-dort/

I stick with my opinion he is Marcus Smart with a great first step, but less advanced in passing (though Smart developed that during the NBA) and worse defense. He also has 4 years on Smart for improving his shooting (and 4 summers were the fans of the team that draft him get hyped by workout videos just to be disappointed at the start of the season, AGAIN).
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#20 » by No-Man » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:55 pm

He is more like a smaller Tyreke than Marcus Smart to me, Tyreke was taller, longer, probably more atheltic even before the injuries

Return to NBA Draft