Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Finn
Starter
And1: 2,285

Re: OT: DIY 

Post#181 » by Finn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:I made a Benjamin Franklin chair/ladder :D

Spoiler:
It was a giant PITA, just too much cutting, routing, sanding, getting things wrong and then taking steps back to fix it.
I have a new respect for people who design & make hand made chairs

but my girls helped with the painting :D

That's the final product. Amazing the difference in color quality between my phone and my camera

You do beautiful work!
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#182 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Thank you sir
I'm getting there :)
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#183 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:59 am

Bought these beautiful pieces of Tasmanian timber

sliced and diced them

glued and routed

sanded and finished

joined and assembled

and turned them into this :D

Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#184 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:04 am

I love making that kind of stuff.

Although sometimes I have to chose between making stuff and watching basketball.

I don't think we must let such false dilemmas rule our lives :x

Challenge accepted :D

Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#185 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:06 am

I made a Flintstones tab :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL I just noticed you can see my Giannis tshirt on the reflection :D

Finn
Starter

Post#186 » by Finn » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:02 pm

I love looking at your beautiful work.

I also hate you.

Finally, I am extremely jealous.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#187 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:03 pm

LOL dude
Get into it, start making stuff :D
Finn
Starter

Post#188 » by Finn » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:05 pm

You make stuff. I make crap. Functional, but crap.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Re: OT: DIYj 

Post#189 » by Jez2983 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:10 pm

That stuff is rad. My son and I have sanded some reclaimed.pieces of huon back. We'll oil them and then have 2 nicer chopping boards than we have!
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#190 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Finn wrote:You make stuff. I make crap. Functional, but crap.

Ah, nah. This is just the showcase items, the tip of the iceberg. If I could only show you all the failures :lol:

Listen, seriously, if you really like it you can do it for sure. I know nothing, I'm a bean counter who works in front of a computer 10 hours a day. I started 35 years old with no previous knowledge and no background whatsoever, at some point and for no particular reason I just got sucked in watching youtube videos late at night. The same 5 guys that everybody watches, Jimmy Diresta, John Heisz, Matthias Wandel etc. Then I bought a drill LOL. And then it kinda snowballed from there. It really takes nothing man, just love.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#191 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Jez2983 wrote:That stuff is rad. My son and I have sanded some reclaimed.pieces of huon back. We'll oil them and then have 2 nicer chopping boards than we have!

huon back... as in huon pine maybe? This stuff is expensive, and my favourite material of all. That scent :D
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#192 » by Jez2983 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:That stuff is rad. My son and I have sanded some reclaimed.pieces of huon back. We'll oil them and then have 2 nicer chopping boards than we have!

huon back... as in huon pine maybe? This stuff is expensive, and my favourite material of all. That scent :D

My crap typing. I meant we have a couple of pieces of huon pine we have sanded back. It's expensive but takes hundreds of years to get to a harvestable size.

My son has a bag of huon shavings he loves to smell :lol:

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#193 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:

My crap typing. I meant we have a couple of pieces of huon pine we have sanded back. It's expensive but takes hundreds of years to get to a harvestable size.

Thousands of years actually, huon pine is the oldest living thing in the world, some trees are estimated to be over 2,000 years old.
It's actually forbidden to harvest it these days. It's possibly the best timber for woodworking because it's so full of natural oils that it's impervious to all kinds of bugs and practically water proof, that's why it was incredibly popular for boat building. And it's famous for how easy and pleasant it is to work with it, and it looks great when finished.

Then they stopped harvesting it decades ago (in the 70's I think?) when they realised it's not a good idea to kill trees that take thousands of years to grow. Last time they cut some was when they absolutely had to to build a dam, and those logs are still floating on a lake in Tasmania. The Govt has taken control of them and releases them to the market few at the time, and nobody is allowed to buy it in large quantities. That's the last stock of harvested huon pine and is estimated to last us a few more decades at this rate.

Tell your son to smell while he can :D
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Post#194 » by jute2003 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
Finn wrote:You make stuff. I make crap. Functional, but crap.

Ah, nah. This is just the showcase items, the tip of the iceberg. If I could only show you all the failures

Listen, seriously, if you really like it you can do it for sure. I know nothing, I'm a bean counter who works in front of a computer 10 hours a day. I started 35 years old with no previous knowledge and no background whatsoever, at some point and for no particular reason I just got sucked in watching youtube videos late at night. The same 5 guys that everybody watches, Jimmy Diresta, John Heisz, Matthias Wandel etc. Then I bought a drill LOL. And then it kinda snowballed from there. It really takes nothing man, just love.
That is the nice thing about woodworking. You just have to be willing to start and have lots of patience.

You are a talented dude Pachinko.
only a fan, only an opinion
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#195 » by Jez2983 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:40 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:huon back... as in huon pine maybe? This stuff is expensive, and my favourite material of all. That scent :D

Thousands of years actually, huon pine is the oldest living thing in the world, some trees are estimated to be over 2,000 years old.
It's actually forbidden to harvest it these days. It's possibly the best timber for woodworking because it's so full of natural oils that it's impervious to all kinds of bugs and practically water proof, that's why it was incredibly popular for boat building. And it's famous for how easy and pleasant it is to work with it, and it looks great when finished.

Then they stopped harvesting it decades ago (in the 70's I think?) when they realised it's not a good idea to kill trees that take thousands of years to grow. Last time they cut some was when they absolutely had to to build a dam, and those logs are still floating on a lake in Tasmania. The Govt has taken control of them and releases them to the market few at the time, and nobody is allowed to buy it in large quantities. That's the last stock of harvested huon pine and is estimated to last us a few more decades at this rate.

Tell your son to smell while he can :D

I love this. We went to Tassie earlier this year and this is like the tour guide speaking! The Huon is amazing, supports an entire eco system. I believe the pieces he and I have were reclaimed from the bottom of a lake, having sat there for many decades. Due to the qualities you describe above it looks as though it was chopped down yesterday, but it has beautiful greys in the timber from the water.

Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#196 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm

So I bought a scroll saw, which is basically what you use if you can't afford a CNC

First test with some scrap plywood :D

Finn
Starter

Post#197 » by Finn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Nice! Now paint it up in the City uniform colors!! :lol:
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#198 » by jschligs » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

I would love to get into woodworking, but with my other hobbies I just can't afford it. Videogames and booze take up a large portion of my spending money.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,768

Post#199 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:30 pm

I know Photoshop (sort of) and After Effects so I can make funny photos and gifs and videos and stuff but nothing practical. When the zombies take over all I can do is make highlight reels of cool kills. Pachinko on the other hand looks like he could make a crossbow out of some busted plywood.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#200 » by BMatt07 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Does anyone have any experience with installing a bathroom exhaust fan in the ceiling? If so, how hard is it to do for someone with limited experience, lol.

Debating on trying to do it myself, but I'm leaning towards just paying someone to do it.

The house I purchased does not have one presently installed, for some odd reason.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks