Coby White

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Coby White 

Post#1 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:53 am

Like every year, there will be names that come out of nowhere so to speak and this kid is proving to be quite good and maybe the cream of a once thought to be very weak point guard crop. He's listed at 6'5" but looks shorter. He's a great shooter from three shooting well above .400 and a great FT shooter at 85%. He's not a great athlete and doesn't have great length so he's purely a scorer with limited defensive upside. He reminds me a little of Spencer Dinwiddie. I think if he keeps it up and has a strong tournament he'll solidly be a mid-first rounder maybe even lottery.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Re: Coby White 

Post#2 » by Hoopz Afrik » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:02 pm

I like the Dinwiddie comparison a lot. I really expected him to struggle early as he adjusts to the college game but he's proven me wrong so far.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#3 » by skiz2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:13 pm

LeBron_da_Don wrote:I like the Dinwiddie comparison a lot. I really expected him to struggle early as he adjusts to the college game but he's proven me wrong so far.

He kind of has outside of the last two games. Made bad decisions, turned the ball over a lot, taken bad shots.

His game against UCLA has been the best of the season IMHO, even better than his 33 point outing against Texas because he ran the team, got people involved and still scored.

My questions surrounding him were whether or not his PG skills have developed to the point that he can impact a game when his shot is not falling. He has begun to answer that question with the UCLA game.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#4 » by sipclip » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:07 pm

He has hit some tough shots but he looks like an average athlete at best to me. Maybe it has something to do with his hair because for some reason his hair looks like it moves in slow motion to me.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:29 pm

He moves fast and he has quick moves, it's just, the lack of length bothers me, he moves like a cartoon at times, not sure how it translates, his handle is fine but it feels like he can't really pound it low/hard to get by, also his shooting is kinda a short and quick mechanics which has pros, but also cons (blockable etc)

dunno, I think he is ultimately a 2 year guy
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Fischella wrote:He moves fast and he has quick moves, it's just, the lack of length bothers me, he moves like a cartoon at times, not sure how it translates, his handle is fine but it feels like he can't really pound it low/hard to get by, also his shooting is kinda a short and quick mechanics which has pros, but also cons (blockable etc)

dunno, I think he is ultimately a 2 year guy

I think he goes this year. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned it’s that length doesn’t matter all that much at guard if a player is fluid and fast. He’s a project, but he has some good upside. Think he’s a pick in the 20s.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#7 » by Hoopz Afrik » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:53 pm

skiz2 wrote:
LeBron_da_Don wrote:I like the Dinwiddie comparison a lot. I really expected him to struggle early as he adjusts to the college game but he's proven me wrong so far.

He kind of has outside of the last two games. Made bad decisions, turned the ball over a lot, taken bad shots.

His game against UCLA has been the best of the season IMHO, even better than his 33 point outing against Texas because he ran the team, got people involved and still scored.

My questions surrounding him were whether or not his PG skills have developed to the point that he can impact a game when his shot is not falling. He has begun to answer that question with the UCLA game.

That's real. I didn't catch his first three games outside of highlights and game summaries but the boxscores suggested he didn't do too well. These last two games swung the curve but it looks like he's found his swagger and they'rev going to need it moving forward especially as Kenny Williams continues to shoot and miss.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,448

Post#8 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:58 pm

This is a case where the eye test is biasing me against the production. He just doesn't look fluid to me. Something about him screams college athlete.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
skiz2
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by skiz2 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:12 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:This is a case where the eye test is biasing me against the production. He just doesn't look fluid to me. Something about him screams college athlete.

He is very unorthodox in his movements. Reminds me a bit of Manu in that regard (don’t think he will be a Manu impact player, but his movements are similar)
skiz2
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by skiz2 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:14 pm

LeBron_da_Don wrote:
skiz2 wrote:

That's real. I didn't catch his first three games outside of highlights and game summaries but the boxscores suggested he didn't do too well. These last two games swung the curve but it looks like he's found his swagger and they'rev going to need it moving forward especially as Kenny Williams continues to shoot and miss.

Man don’t get me started on Kenny. Been pissing me off. He made up for his shot not falling with good defense up til Vegas but then let Roach tear him apart
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:45 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:This is a case where the eye test is biasing me against the production. He just doesn't look fluid to me. Something about him screams college athlete.

You’re right on the money. I just wrote this:

“Some issues with Coby White, even if he’s scoring well. He reminds me of Cameron Payne, although Payne was older. Great pace and switches directions well, but a slow first step and not strong enough handle. He won’t beat guys off the dribble and doesn’t move off-ball at all. IMO he’s a combo guard who is more of a back up point/off-guard. Problem is that right now he’s only effective with the ball and doesn’t know how to move without the ball. A big problem is that he can only play with the ball right now and without that first step/initiating handle it’s going to be hard for him to be as effective. Having said that, he has good dribble moves in the lane, it’s just I don’t think he can get into the lane by himself in the NBA.“

He needs a running start to pick up speed and doesn’t have a great first step. I compare him to Cameron Payne, who was older and went 14 overall in the draft. Granted I think white is much smarter and a smarter defender.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:11 am

Damn he’s looking really good right now. Maybe I was too quick to judge. He has a great pace and changes pace pretty quickly.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#13 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Probably a better guard than Garland.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:50 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:Probably a better guard than Garland.

I like White but that's easy to say while Garland is nursing an injury.

my top 5 PGs right now:

Garland
Morant
White
Jones
Poole
skiz2
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by skiz2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:02 pm

I was at the Gonzaga game. I am higher on him now after seeing him in person in a high stakes game situation. The guy is an offensive savant in terms of one on one moves. His trainer did a great job teaching him how to jab and change pace. He put defenders on skates over and over again. He struggles a bit against pressure and is still learning the PG position, but is well ahead of schedule. He has dynamic court vision and his jumper looks like it is going in every time.

I think what will win a lot of scouts over is just how he carries himself. The guy wants to win, puts the team on his back, has a very very short term memory and couldn’t care less about individual accolades. He told reporters recently his only goal this season is to win a national championship. When they asked him about
individual goals he said he had none.

There was one sequence when UNC was failing to put the game away where he missed two free throws, UNC got the offensive rebound and he calmly and confidently hit a long distance 3. That sequence really stuck out to me as a play that reifies his personality both on and off the court.

I hate to say this because I want him to stay and potentially play with Cole Anthony in the backcourt next season, but he probably should go pro this season. His family has been through a lot with his father’s recent passing and he is someone who is going to have his stock bump up based on interviews alone. I have him in the 12-20 range now.
skiz2
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by skiz2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:08 pm

He and Garland had an epic head to head battle on the circuit last summer.
https://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/818340

https://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/17622074?referrer=3215959
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#17 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:05 pm

The fact that are there are no other decent pg prospects besides Dort and JA that are healthy esp with White's nicely progressing skill set along with a Alpha personality having a high level work ethic according to his peers etc should get him some looks as high as 10 imo. Right now he is a deep sleeper for that ranking but it wouldn't surprise me. I mean he is very athletic for a pg just not DSJ explosive athletic. I'd draft him in the teens and not look back.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#18 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:

my top 5 PGs right now:

Garland
Morant
White
Jones
Poole

Different types of point guards, but Garland is undoubtedly better suited for the NBA in terms of skill set (on both ends, defensively everything besides switching). It's not me who feels that way, either - spoke with someone last week who confirmed that teams love Garland.
skiz2
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by skiz2 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

my top 5 PGs right now:

Garland
Morant
White
Jones
Poole

Different types of point guards, but Garland is undoubtedly better suited for the NBA in terms of skill set (on both ends, defensively everything besides switching). It's not me who feels that way, either - spoke with someone last week who confirmed that teams love Garland.

As they should. I hate it for him.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#20 » by No-Man » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:32 pm

It's hard fro me to not love Coby kowing how team-oriented he is and how patient he is out there, at worst he is going to be a good rotation Guard really

Return to NBA Draft