Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Re: Welcome Furkan Korkmaz 

Post#561 » by TTP » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:12 am

mithrandir17 wrote:
TTP wrote:
aHealthy3 wrote:Wait, is that really how it works? Because we declined his option, the max we would be able to offer him in UFA is the amount of the option? We couldn't give a bigger offer if we realized it was a mistake? Not saying we would do that, I just didn't know that we wouldn't even have the option to do that.

Correct, and I believe any team we trade him to faces the same restriction, so a team that's interested in him actually has incentive to NOT trade for him.

I'm confused by this. If this is true, then what was the incentive of the Nets in trading for Okafor? What if Okafor clicked for the Nets? Then they would not have resigned him?

Okafor was salary filler/player dump in a deal that got the Nets a 2nd for Trevor Booker.

That case was also a little different in that there was no chance that a team would offer Okafor >5.5 mil in the following offseason, so the Nets still got a free look at him to determine if they wanted to offer him some smaller amount the following summer.

Korkmaz's option was so small that if he starts breaking out, there's a chance he gets offered >2 mil and whichever team he's breaking out on will be screwed.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#562 » by BoomBap » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:25 am

I am pretty sure we can sign a better player next summer or if we sign another star, there will be enough ringchasers who will play for us for pennies.

I am a little bit pissed, because we are wasting a lot of assets since Sam is gone, but i think the Process still looks pretty good.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#563 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Why didn't Furky get any burn last night? Going into a game with 10 live bodies and actively deciding to not play one of them is silly.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#564 » by PLO » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:20 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:Why didn't Furky get any burn last night? Going into a game with 10 live bodies and actively deciding to not play one of them is silly.

Certainly, tells a story
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#565 » by Winejk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Hypothetically, if Furkan were traded during this season, could the Sixers sign him as a free agent with no salary restrictions in the off season?
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#566 » by XDevilBoiX » Sun Dec 9, 2018 3:43 pm

https://thesixersense.com/2018/12/09/philadelphia-76ers-why-dont-want-furkan-korkmaz/

Didn’t know he was rated better then TJ and Shamet on defense. Really a bad move to not pick up his option.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#567 » by Chris76 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:54 pm

XDevilBoiX wrote:https://thesixersense.com/2018/12/09/philadelphia-76ers-why-dont-want-furkan-korkmaz/

Didn’t know he was rated better then TJ and Shamet on defense. Really a bad move to not pick up his option.

Korkmaz is still very young and is versatile being able to play the 2, 1, and possible 3. Good to see him get some playing time. He has some play making skills.

I guess he was going to be included in a trade is probably why the option was not picked up?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#568 » by Sixerscan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Korkmaz having a better defensive rating than anyone is small sample size mumbo jumbo/him playing with lineups specifically designed to cover that he can't cover anyone.

He's just not making enough shots. He was under 30% from 3 last year, he's under again this year. It's good that he's been around as we have no other healthy bodies to give us wing minutes but once we get a buyout or trade person I expect he will be out of the rotation fairly quickly.

He's still young and maybe he will become an effective player down the road but as it stands now I think we'll probably be better off with not picking up his salary next year.
eso3
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#569 » by eso3 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:47 am

We have to trade him now, right? After his career high. Personally, I would have picked his option and traded him in the offseason if he didn’t show any progression. His small contract could be moved in my mind, maybe add a second. He was worth giving at least half a season.

Im guessing that’s all about clearing cup for next year without wasting future picks.

What do you guys think? Do we trade him or just let him run with us till the season ends? His 3 point shooting is becoming valuable...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#570 » by TTP » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:53 am

Chris76 wrote:
XDevilBoiX wrote:https://thesixersense.com/2018/12/09/philadelphia-76ers-why-dont-want-furkan-korkmaz/

Korkmaz is still very young and is versatile being able to play the 2, 1, and possible 3. Good to see him get some playing time. He has some play making skills.

I guess he was going to be included in a trade is probably why the option was not picked up?

More likely the opposite. The only way the option gets declined is if they’re unable to trade him.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
nrok10307
Junior
And1: 189

Post#571 » by nrok10307 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:55 am

TTP wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

More likely the opposite. The only way the option gets declined is if they’re unable to trade him.

Yup exactly. They must have assesed his trade value and feedback from other teams was that Kork was a negative asset that they’d have to attach a pick to get rid of. Hence why they declined the option.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#572 » by Chris76 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:28 am

nrok10307 wrote:
TTP wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

Yup exactly. They must have assesed his trade value and feedback from other teams was that Kork was a negative asset that they’d have to attach a pick to get rid of. Hence why they declined the option.

Not sure he got a chance to show what he could do.
He was hurt last year and looked ok in the summer league.

He did well tonight. 18 and 7 was respectable.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#573 » by Ericb5 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 am

When we declined his option the writing was on the wall for him, but then the trade happened, he got more minutes, and he has shown more ability.

We could still resign him, but even if we don’t, I’m happy to see that he is getting a shot in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,132

Post#574 » by Arsenal » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:33 am

nrok10307 wrote:
TTP wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

Extremely foolish. It hardly costs anything at all to dump $2M. For a young player with upside it would take a late 2nd at most. More likely nothing at all.

Whereas the upside potential if he plays well is much higher. Just a really dumb move.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#575 » by Arsenal » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:34 am

Ericb5 wrote:When we declined his option the writing was on the wall for him, but then the trade happened, he got more minutes, and he has shown more ability.

We could still resign him, but even if we don’t, I’m happy to see that he is getting a shot in the league.

It's even dumber because they MUST have known the Butler trade was close, and that Dario and RoCo were about to be shipped, leaving a hole in the rotation. It's like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#576 » by Arsenal » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:38 am

Sixerscan wrote:Korkmaz having a better defensive rating than anyone is small sample size mumbo jumbo/him playing with lineups specifically designed to cover that he can't cover anyone.

He's just not making enough shots. He was under 30% from 3 last year, he's under again this year. It's good that he's been around as we have no other healthy bodies to give us wing minutes but once we get a buyout or trade person I expect he will be out of the rotation fairly quickly.

He's still young and maybe he will become an effective player down the road but as it stands now I think we'll probably be better off with not picking up his salary next year.

So the good defensive rating is only because of small sample size. Meanwhile him being under 30% from 3 at that point meant something.

Actually the opposite is more likely true. Everyone knows the kid can shoot. Him being under 30% at that point was just small sample size.

And his defense has been better than advertised, as shown by advanced metrics like RPM which adjust for lineups on the floor.

Overall the decision to not pick up his option was foolish then, and looks even more foolish in hindsight.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#577 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:49 am

Arsenal wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Korkmaz having a better defensive rating than anyone is small sample size mumbo jumbo/him playing with lineups specifically designed to cover that he can't cover anyone.

So the good defensive rating is only because of small sample size. Meanwhile him being under 30% from 3 at that point meant something.

Actually the opposite is more likely true. Everyone knows the kid can shoot. Him being under 30% at that point was just small sample size.

And his defense has been better than advertised, as shown by advanced metrics like RPM which adjust for lineups on the floor.

Overall the decision to not pick up his option was foolish then, and looks even more foolish in hindsight.

Certainly in retrospect I would have picked up is option, but he's super replaceable.

Hope he plays well the rest of the year and gets a fat contract somewhere. And we pick up a backup small forward that can actually body up people in the meantime.

Not getting into the nitty about his advanced stats but suffice it to say I'm not sold on a small sample size where he's played with Embiid more than any other teammate.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#578 » by Ericb5 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:When we declined his option the writing was on the wall for him, but then the trade happened, he got more minutes, and he has shown more ability.

It's even dumber because they MUST have known the Butler trade was close, and that Dario and RoCo were about to be shipped, leaving a hole in the rotation. It's like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

I don’t know why they would think that it was close. The story is that they had made a standing offer and eventually the Twolves decided to take it. I don’t think that they were negotiating and upping the offer at the time.

XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#579 » by XDevilBoiX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Arsenal wrote:
nrok10307 wrote:
TTP wrote:

Extremely foolish. It hardly costs anything at all to dump $2M. For a young player with upside it would take a late 2nd at most. More likely nothing at all.

Whereas the upside potential if he plays well is much higher. Just a really dumb move.

From Brett himself.

"He's not intimidated by NBA basketball," Brown said. "He's not intimidated by the moment. I don't know how much you paid attention to Turkey in the qualification series, but, I have said this a lot, he was one of the better guards in that tournament. He's got a bounce, he has an inner belief, there is a swagger that he has when he is going to make a play."

And yet he decline to pick up the option.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#580 » by Winejk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Declining Korkmaz's option makes no sense - cheap, useful player with some upside potential that fills a need. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it and the only thing that kind of makes sense to me is Brand and Brown just wanted to move on from Colangelo and his picks. If Colangelo was still GM, I'm guessing Korkmaz's option gets picked up. Brown was quick to purge all of the previous GMs' end of bench players - TLC, Holmes, Anderson. It didn't even appear Brown was all that interested in getting anything back for those players. Seems like Brand and Brown wanted a fresh start from all the Colagelo chaos and a player they didn't draft.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers