Moderator: studcrackers

studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#41 » by studcrackers » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:40 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
studcrackers wrote:lol at an ohio st fan complaining about a team getting into the playoff because of past success

That is correct. When exactly did Ohio State get into the playoffs based on past success?

seeing how ohio state got in over a penn st team in this exact same situation last year, id say that applies

also you say bama got "spanked" vs auburn, well yall lost by 15 at home for your worst home loss in 18 years. moral of this story is don't lose by 30+ to a team (this applies to both usc and ohio st)
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#42 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:52 pm

studcrackers wrote:
OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
studcrackers wrote:lol at an ohio st fan complaining about a team getting into the playoff because of past success

That is correct. When exactly did Ohio State get into the playoffs based on past success?

seeing how ohio state got in over a penn st team in this exact same situation last year, id say that applies

also you say bama got "spanked" vs auburn, well yall lost by 15 at home for your worst home loss in 18 years. moral of this story is don't lose by 30+ to a team (this applies to both usc and ohio st)

Exact same situation huh? Take a look at Ohio State's resume last year vs Bama's this year. Ohio State's wins were far far better, our only loss last year was better. PSU beat us because a FG that was going to put them away got blocked and luckily bounced right into their players hands. Bama this year was dominated most all the game. OSU lost early in the year and had time to come back up and were already in top 4 at end before conference titles, Bama lost in their last game and moved into the playoffs while not playing.

Ohio State didn't deserve a playoff spot, but certainly deserved one more than Alabama. Bama's best win was against a 3 loss LSU team who lost to freakin Troy, they played 2 less conference games than OSU and USC overall.

Basically what the committee just said is that no need to play anyone OOC, no need to get any quality wins, no need to play for your conference, all you have to do is beat a few middle of the road barely ranked teams and only lose once. Oh and most importantly be Alabama.

Yeah, there is definitely a need to go to 8 teams
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#43 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:06 pm

Until this current contract runs out... in 24/25... it ain't changing. Because the WWL isn't complaining. And they are the ones driving this bus. Make no mistake.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#44 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Such a joke of a sport. They are like decades behind the times and clueless when it comes to making the sport more entertaining and keeping more fans vested in the entire season.
rickyt31
Sophomore
And1: 409

Post#45 » by rickyt31 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 6:46 pm

I would like to see conference winners make it. it would put more attention on all the conference championship games and create more opportunities for major upsets leading to the big game.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#46 » by Bulltalk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:49 pm

I've kind of a thought an 8 team playoff would fit the bill. If I was king, I'd probably have the 5 major conference winners make it, have 1 team from the remaining conferences make it, and then 2 wild card teams. Then seed them 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5, and make them the 7 biggest bowl games. This would make winning your conference meaningful, give the other conferences a chance to place a team, and give the the remaining two best teams a way in. But this would be the absolute limit.

I read an article by Phil Steele, and he made a good case that the 4 team playoff is all we need to determine a true national champion. Gave me pause.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Wannabe MEP
Analyst
And1: 1,786

Post#47 » by Wannabe MEP » Sun Dec 2, 2018 7:37 pm

1. Bama*
  2. Clemson*
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Oklahoma*
  5. Georgia
  6. Ohio State*
  7. UCF**
  8. Washington*
* auto for Power 5 conference champion
** auto for best Group of 5 conference champion & high enough ranking (top 12?)

Elite Eight — December 15
Final Four — December 29
Championship — January 7

Notre Dame vs Ohio State is juicy. As is Oklahoma vs Georgia. Not sure what the big drawback is...
Wannabe MEP
Analyst

Post#48 » by Wannabe MEP » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:14 am

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810445-college-footballs-influential-voices-ready-to-discuss-8-team-playoff-format

Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic reported Wednesday that CFP expansion has received a "groundswell of support" with hopes the change can happen before the current contract with ESPN, the event's broadcast partner, expires in 2026.

"It's an appropriate thing to begin thinking about," Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby told Auerbach.
QBEagles_00
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#49 » by QBEagles_00 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:30 pm

I agree with the college football playoff committee, expanding the field to eight teams; Power 5 conferences get an auto bid, the highest ranking group of 5 team, and two at-large teams.
Bango
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#50 » by Bango » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Until this current contract runs out... in 24/25... it ain't changing. Because the WWL isn't complaining. And they are the ones driving this bus. Make no mistake.

All is true, but they also wouldn't mind buttering their bread with some more games to be played.
"Fans never fall asleep at our games, because they're afraid they might get hit by a pass."—George Raveling
Wannabe MEP
Analyst

Post#51 » by Wannabe MEP » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:39 am

Anticipating chaos in the coming weeks, but still, why not something like...

1. Alabama (SEC champ)
2. Ohio State (Big Ten champ)
3. Oklahoma (Big 12 champ)
4. Clemson (ACC champ)
5. LSU (1st at-large)
6. Wisconsin (2nd at-large)
7. Oregon (Pac-12 champ)
8. Boise State (auto qualifier, best of the rest)

^ That's assuming a heckuva lot of chalk...which is definitely not gonna happen. :noway: But still, these match-ups would be awesome. The only game on there that's a real mismatch is Alabama-BSU, but so what? Give Cinderella a chance, and give the #1 team in the country a softer opener.

(And any of those #2-7 games could be an epic bloodbath.) :clap:
Wannabe MEP
Analyst

Post#52 » by Wannabe MEP » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Chaos struck!

1. Alabama (SEC champ)
2. Ohio State (Big Ten champ)
3. Oklahoma (Big 12 champ)
4. Clemson (ACC champ)
5. LSU (1st at-large)
6. Wisconsin (2nd at-large)
7. Oregon (Pac-12 champ)
8. Boise State (auto qualifier, best of the rest)

Insert...Penn State? AAC champion? (AAC is looking pretty good this year, though not sure they have one truly elite team)
Wannabe MEP
Analyst

Post#53 » by Wannabe MEP » Mon Nov 4, 2019 11:39 am

Wannabe MEP
Analyst

Post#54 » by Wannabe MEP » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:41 am

If the favorites win out, this could into a really awful mess for that fourth spot. 1-3 are undefeated SEC, Big-10 and ACC champions, so no arguments there. But that last spot is an impossible conundrum:

• One-loss Pac-12 champion Oregon
  • One-loss Big 12 champion Oklahoma
  • One-loss SEC non-champion LSU
  • One-loss Big-10 non-champion Penn State
^ Assuming these teams look like elite football teams over the next few weeks (e.g., competitive losses at Alabama and Ohio State), I want them all in the playoff.

• Leaving out LSU or Penn State would be like leaving out 2011 Alabama...who went on to win the championship
  • Leaving out Oregon or Oklahoma would be like leaving out 2014 Ohio State...who went on to win the championship

I still expect some surprises in the coming weeks, but one way or another, I think we're bound to have ugly ambiguity at the end where a really really good team gets left out. Whether you're a fan of LSU, Penn State, Oregon, or Oklahoma, you don't want this left in the hands of a committee.
Wannabe MEP
Analyst

Post#55 » by Wannabe MEP » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:36 pm

^ In my opinion that would be 7 highly deserving teams:

1. Alabama (13-0)
  2. Ohio State (13-0)
  3. Clemson (13-0)
  4. Oregon (12-1)
  5. Oklahoma (12-1)
  6. LSU (11-1)
  7. Penn State (11-1)
That leaves just one slot for...AAC champ? Boise State? Or a the best two-loss team (Georgia?)?
Wannabe MEP
Analyst

Post#56 » by Wannabe MEP » Wed Dec 4, 2019 2:13 pm

Very good chance we end up with one-loss conundrum, e.g. Utah vs Oklahoma/Baylor for one spot. Could be even messier if one of the undefeated favorites loses.

If it is, say, Utah vs Oklahoma, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I think both should be in. There's not enough data to know with clarity which one is the better (or more deserving?) team. There's only one common opponent (UCLA, who they both steamrolled), they both will have gone 9-1 in winning their respective conferences, neither of their conferences is particularly good or particularly bad, their non-conference schedules are comparable (2 cupcakes and one supposed-to-be-decent team), one rates as an elite defense and a pretty good offense, while the other rates as an elite offense with a mediocre defense...

...settle it on the field.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#57 » by goober » Wed Dec 4, 2019 11:48 pm

Los Soles wrote:Very good chance we end up with one-loss conundrum, e.g. Utah vs Oklahoma/Baylor for one spot. Could be even messier if one of the undefeated favorites loses.

If it is, say, Utah vs Oklahoma, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I think both should be in. There's not enough data to know with clarity which one is the better (or more deserving?) team. There's only one common opponent (UCLA, who they both steamrolled), they both will have gone 9-1 in winning their respective conferences, neither of their conferences is particularly good or particularly bad, their non-conference schedules are comparable (2 cupcakes and one supposed-to-be-decent team), one rates as an elite defense and a pretty good offense, while the other rates as an elite offense with a mediocre defense...

...settle it on the field.

Oklahoma has been squeaking by some teams, other than the exception of the USC game Utah has steamrolled everyone. I genuinely think Utah should be in if Georgia loses and Utah beats Oregon. I’m not so sure Oklahoma beats Baylor.

Committee really respects that Utah’s loss was in a game where Z. Moss hardly played

Return to NCAA Football