Kevin Durant Talks About Issues Superstar Players Could Have Joining LeBron James

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kevin Durant Talks About Issues Superstar Players Could Have Joining LeBron James 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Dec 5, 2018 7:21 pm

Kevin Durant spoke candidly about the issues in having another superstar play with LeBron James.

Durant himself will be a free agent next offseason and has been linked to the Los Angeles Lakers. Durant has more strongly been linked to the New York Knicks over the past few months than the Lakers.

"It depends on what kind of player you are," Durant said. "If you're Kyle Korver, then it makes sense. Because Kyle Korver in Atlanta was the bulk of the offense, and he's not a No. 1 option at all, not even close. So his talents benefit more from a guy who can pass and penetrate and get him open.

"If you're a younger player like a Kawhi (Leonard), trying to pair him with LeBron James doesn't really make sense. Kawhi enjoys having the ball in his hands, controlling the offense, dictating the tempo with his post-ups; it's how he plays the game. A lot of young players are developing that skill. They don't need another guy."

Durant also noted how the media attention James commands is also an issue.

"So much hype comes from being around LeBron from other people," Durant said. "He has so many fanboys in the media. Even the beat writers just fawn over him. I'm like, we're playing basketball here, and it's not even about basketball at certain points. So I get why anyone wouldn't want to be in that environment because it's toxic. Especially when the attention is bull attention, fluff. It's not LeBron's fault at all; it's just the fact you have so many groupies in the media that love to hang on every word. Just get out of the way and let us play basketball."

Via Ric Bucher/Bleacher Report

Dasein
Senior
And1: 447

Re: Kevin Durant Talks About Issues Superstar Players Could Have Joining LeBron James 

Post#2 » by Dasein » Wed Dec 5, 2018 7:34 pm

KD to the Clippers confirmed.
HomegrownRebel wrote: I'd rather have John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Nene, and Paul Pierce than the Warriors team. And you can keep thinking Durant would come there. Very doubtful. He loves his hometown and area. Why would he want to live closer to fruitcakes?
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Re: Kevin Durant Talks About Issues Superstar Players Could Have Joining LeBron James 

Post#3 » by scrabbarista » Wed Dec 5, 2018 7:44 pm

so much disrespect for Kyle Korver
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#4 » by Pennebaker » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:09 pm

Meanwhile KD is busy making his own fanboys out of nothing.

This guy is super salty. He thought beating LeBron in the Finsls was going to change the narratives, but it hasn't.
Caese
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#5 » by Caese » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:23 pm

KD to join Kawhi in New York...or if they're smart, in Toronto lol
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,491

Post#6 » by The Laker Kid » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:26 pm

Reverse psychology. Lebron probably told him to say this publicly, so Kawhi goes elsewhere and Lakers give Durant the contract.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
t-rexCity
Junior
And1: 79

Post#7 » by t-rexCity » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:30 pm

He's so out of touch from reality. He's creating distraction for keep talking about his free agency yet keeps saying I just want to play basketball. No wonder why draymond is so frustrated with him. I actually sympathize with draymond now
vincecarterfan
Junior
And1: 204

Post#8 » by vincecarterfan » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:46 pm

Snake talks too much
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#9 » by Maf » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:53 pm

I didn't have any negative feelings about KD joining 73 wins Warriors. But don't ever talk **** about Kyle Korver! Like he is not No.1 option? He could be any day if he wanted to. He is very probably the best player who ever played the game of basketball. He is so unselfish that he lets shoot the ball other guys who shouldn't take any shots if Kyle is on the floor. Hail Korver. Yeah, **** KD!
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
RoundMound
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#10 » by RoundMound » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:58 pm

Nothing to see here. Has anyone ever left their team to play with Durant?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#11 » by likashing » Wed Dec 5, 2018 9:19 pm

This explains everything. Many people have been saying the same thing. Only LeBron’s fanboys, Cavs fans, and now Lakers fans seem to think other stars want to play with LeBron.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
PHXCavaliers
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#12 » by PHXCavaliers » Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:29 pm

t-rexCity wrote:He's so out of touch from reality. He's creating distraction for keep talking about his free agency yet keeps saying I just want to play basketball. No wonder why draymond is so frustrated with him. I actually sympathize with draymond now

Draymond was literally my least favorite player in the NBA until like a month or two ago, right before him and KD's little bout.

Now I agree.... I feel for Draymond and respect the man a bit more after hearing he called Durant a B*tch over and over lol
ImaCLEFanNotLBJ
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#13 » by ImaCLEFanNotLBJ » Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:41 pm

Pennebaker wrote:Meanwhile KD is busy making his own fanboys out of nothing.

This guy is super salty. He thought beating LeBron in the Finsls was going to change the narratives, but it hasn't.

Yep. Sure sounds like this to me as well. Bro, you joined a 73 win team that just beat you when you were up 3-1. You will never be in the same conversation as any of the greats now. Don't hate that everyone is acknowledging this. But hey... you got some rings though.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:04 am

ImaCLEFanNotLBJ wrote:Yep. Sure sounds like this to me as well. Bro, you joined a 73 win team that just beat you when you were up 3-1. You will never be in the same conversation as any of the greats now. Don't hate that everyone is acknowledging this. But hey... you got some rings though.

People said the same of LeBron when he joined Miami. If LeBron doesn't get that one ring with Cleveland then how would he be any different? If Durant does get one in <insert other team here> then how is he any different?

Or do you also think LeBron doesn't belong with the all-time greats?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#15 » by dougthonus » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:17 am

The irony of his comments are that:
1: Superstars have historically signed up and desired to play with him (Wade, Bosh, Irving, Love, etc... )

2: Durant is a superstar, and he left his team to go join a bunch of star players that like having the ball too, so clearly he must think he feels differently than every other superstar that won't go play with LeBron.

3: LeBron is an extremely willing passer/deferential player for a superstar.

I do get what he's saying, there are people that may not want to deal with the LeBron hoopla, especially in LA, but the discussion of on court fit seems pretty silly given past history and his own decision. Without seeing the whole interview rather than quotes, it's hard to get a feel for the full context of the questions and way he answered though.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
House12
Senior
And1: 392

Post#16 » by House12 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:52 am

dougthonus wrote:The irony of his comments are that:
1: Superstars have historically signed up and desired to play with him (Wade, Bosh, Irving, Love, etc... )

2: Durant is a superstar, and he left his team to go join a bunch of star players that like having the ball too, so clearly he must think he feels differently than every other superstar that won't go play with LeBron.

3: LeBron is an extremely willing passer/deferential player for a superstar.

I do get what he's saying, there are people that may not want to deal with the LeBron hoopla, especially in LA, but the discussion of on court fit seems pretty silly given past history and his own decision. Without seeing the whole interview rather than quotes, it's hard to get a feel for the full context of the questions and way he answered though.

Not sure if I would call LeBron an extremely deferential player, even for a superstar.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#17 » by anatomicbomb » Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:25 am

With respect to (1): Irving and Love really didn't have any say in being paired with LeBron, so Wade and Bosh are the only superstars that have intentionally signed on to play with LBJ. Even then (aside from 2 rings) it didn't exactly create a clear situation where other superstars want the opportunity to play with him because they saw how Wade and Bosh sacrificed to support LeBron - things more or less worked out, but it wasn't what they envisioned when they signed on for The Decision, and I can see how that could temper the enthusiasm of other players considering joining the Lakers.

With respect to (2): Durant isn't particularly ball-dominant, and is used to playing beside Westbrook who may have been (aside from this season) the most ball-dominant player in the league. If anything, joining the Warriors was a chance to play with less-ball-dominant players (and a team heralded for their passing and selflessness).

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
_MidNight_
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Post#18 » by _MidNight_ » Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:45 am

Say what you want about KD but he's absolutely right on this one.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#19 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:42 am

_MidNight_ wrote:Say what you want about KD but he's absolutely right on this one.

Plus 1. He must be reading the posts.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#20 » by cheese318 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:53 am

anatomicbomb wrote:

With respect to (1): Irving and Love really didn't have any say in being paired with LeBron, so Wade and Bosh are the only superstars that have intentionally signed on to play with LBJ. Even then (aside from 2 rings) it didn't exactly create a clear situation where other superstars want the opportunity to play with him because they saw how Wade and Bosh sacrificed to support LeBron - things more or less worked out, but it wasn't what they envisioned when they signed on for The Decision, and I can see how that could temper the enthusiasm of other players considering joining the Lakers.

With respect to (2): Durant isn't particularly ball-dominant, and is used to playing beside Westbrook who may have been (aside from this season) the most ball-dominant player in the league. If anything, joining the Warriors was a chance to play with less-ball-dominant players (and a team heralded for their passing and selflessness).

I guess you forgot to think about the time Kevin love was a free agent. He could have gone anywhere. He chose to resign with CLE. That’s a decision

Return to Wiretap Discussion