Relationship Between Todd Bowles, Mike Maccagnan Reaching Impasse

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Relationship Between Todd Bowles, Mike Maccagnan Reaching Impasse 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 6, 2018 9:22 pm

The current setup of the New York Jets between Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles has created division, friction and passive-aggressive petulance. 

The relationship has eroded over the years, which began as a shot-gun marriage arranged by Charley Casserly and Woody Johnson.

The belief is Maccagnan can learn from his mistakes, but the brain trust has lost faith in Bowles. 

Bowles and Maccagnan do not share the same vision or views on players. While they have been professional, they don\'t think the other truly respects the other\'s ability to identify talent.

Via Manish Mehta/New York Daily News

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: Relationship Between Todd Bowles, Mike Maccagnan Reaching Impasse 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu Dec 6, 2018 9:30 pm

Apart from drafting Sam Darnold, the Jets have done a terrible job drafting the last few years. +1 Bowles.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: Relationship Between Todd Bowles, Mike Maccagnan Reaching Impasse 

Post#3 » by Barcs » Fri Dec 7, 2018 8:55 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Apart from drafting Sam Darnold, the Jets have done a terrible job drafting the last few years. +1 Bowles.

Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, Robbie Anderson are studs, Jamal will make the pro bowl, he's one of the best SS in the league. Then you have other solid people like Herndon that will contribute for years to come, and Mcguire who has shown promise in his limited role. You also have Marcus Maye who was very good until being injury plagued this year.

When healthy, the team isn't bad talent wise outside of oline and pass rusher. They have also been holding back signing big name FAs for the most part and will have $100m and a top 3 pick next year. The future is still bright.

The problem with Bowles is his poor game planning, and failure to make in game adjustments, not to mention some of the decisions really leave me scratching my head (ie going for it on 4th or kicking FG decisions that cost us games).

I don't think Bowles gets the best out of the talent on the team. I have exponentially more faith in Macc than Bowles. Bowles was forced on Macc in the beginning, I feel that Macc should be able to pick and have authority over whoever replaces Bowles. The current system the Jets have with equality between GM and coach is stupid. They also need a real OC. With GMs, hindsight is always 20/20, so it's easy to say he sucked at drafting or had bad contracts, but you can't predict the future and that includes the injury bug that has plagued the Jets for more than half the year.

The thing I like about Macc, is that his contracts always have an out after 2 years, so if they don't work out we can cut ties without long term harm. I also like the way he's been building since the roster purge in 2016. They are a very young team and he continues to bring in young talent for cheap contracts and build via the draft. Bowles doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes, however. I see him making the same mistakes in year 4 that he made his rookie and 2nd years.

Getting Darnold in the last draft looked brilliant, especially not giving up a future 1st to move up. I think Macc gets it, despite his slow start with drafting. I can't say the same for Bowles, even though the players love him.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion